“Will Ruin Your Vacation” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Plaza Marina Mazatlan

Save Saved
You added Hotel Plaza Marina Mazatlan to your Saves list
Hotel Plaza Marina Mazatlan
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Del Mar No. 73 Mazatlan | Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82013, Mexico   |
Ranked #52 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
San Diego
“Will Ruin Your Vacation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

I went to Mazatlan for the 2007 Carnival festivities; I had no reservations for any hotel. When I stopped at the Playa Marina Hotel and asked if they had any rooms available for the following Sunday carnival’s parade. The front desk clerk informed me that they only had a package deal for a 4 night minimum if I wanted to get a room with a balcony. He also told me that in order to get the room for this dates I would have to talk to their reservations department. I was directed to the reservation office and I was informed that in order to get a room with a balcony I would have to pay the full amount in advanced. I asked for someone in reservations to show me the room and after seeing it, I agreed to pay $8850.00 Mexican pesos (Abouth $830.00 US Dollars) For the stay in 5th floor the suite witch I was told by the hotel staff had a very good view of the Carnival’s parade, Further more I was ensure that of possible I would be moved to a lower floor suite to have a better view of the parade. The day of the parade 2hrs before it begin I received a call from the front desk manager telling me that my room had expired and I either pay $1100.00 Mexican pesos (About $100.00 US Dollars) more or I had to vacate the room in 30 min. I demanded to speak to the person I did the reservation with or with the hotel manager to who they told me were not in that day. The only option given was to accept the charges and talk to the manager the next day after 11: AM for a possible refund. I explained to the front desk manager that my flight would be Sunday night. After getting kick out of my room two hours before the parade, the balcony was occupied within 10 minutes by other guest. The next day I call the reservations office, after explaining the situation they apologize very deeply for their “Mistake” and proceeded to explain to me that I can not get any portion of the money I paid back. I tried unsuccessfully to reach the general manager for several days. Tired of many promises of the general manager returning my call I proceeded to dispute the partial amount in my credit card. Unfortunately my plans of watching the parade from a hotel balcony were ruin by the lack of good customer service in this hotel. And no money back would solve this disappointment.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Business
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2003

room was great but pool not heated --heater available but not turned on to hold down expenses. Pool is almost always in shade due to location of building and water extremely cold. Beach across the street is ok but not as nice as on the Gold Zone

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2003

The hotel was off the hook and inexpensive. The food at the hotel was delicious. Happy hour at the bar was good. Right on the main strip and 5 min. taxi drive to the all the clubs. The view was awsome. My friends and I will be back in May 03.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2002

We just got back from an awesome Thanksgiving vacation in Mazatlan. The Hotel Playa is a fabulous hotel! The rooms are a little plain, but clean and roomy. The hotel is very well maintained with very friendly staff. Ask for an ocean view room if they have any available! They have nice pools which are in the courtyards of the hotel instead of facing the beach, but their beachfront is the best of any of the hotels in Mazatlan! They have many Palapas (thatched roof beach umbrellas) right on the beach, and the restaurant sends out waiters to the beach to offer you drinks and food. The restaurant is excellent and has awesome views of the ocean and the beautiful islands just offshore. Highly recommended!!

Been to Hotel Plaza Marina Mazatlan? Share your experiences!