“Waste of money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Mazatlan

You added Crowne Plaza Mazatlan to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Mazatlan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cerritos No 3110 | Marina Mazatlán, Mazatlan 82100, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #29 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Vancouver, Canada
“Waste of money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I tried to be positive when I walked into this as the smaller hotel looks cool on approach and in the lobby. But even my Canadian bred best intentions went out the window after the disappointments started stacking. Do not let the famous title fool you. This place is overpriced for what it really is and the hotel does not live up to its image on the website by a long shot. Upon arrival on Dec 22 we were informed that the pool (closed) and entire beach front was under construction. As you can imagine my next question was when will it be ready. I was told next morning. When I attempted to check into my room I was told that it would be an hr before it would be ready. Being the kind of positive and patient person I am we moved into the dining area to eat after a long day of travelling. Food was ok. Server was great. When I was done I asked the concierge if we could go up to our room and I was told it would be another hr. That there was a personnel emergency. hmmmmn sounds fishy to me.. 2 hrs to turnover a room.
At this point I had taken it with a smile but now this was aggravating. With no where to retreat my family of 5 we sat in the lobby for another hr dieing to take our shoes off. Couldn't swim..couldn't go for a walk on the beach and I wasn't about to spend more money waiting on them. I kindly suggested to the concierge that this was unacceptable and asked that she bring her manager or provide me with some kind of compensation to remedy our already somewhat pain full introduction to the hotel.
She came back without her manager and offered me a 15 minute massage for 1. You know, I appreciated the fact she tried to do something but the $20 slap in the face I could have done without.
When we got to the room there was evidence of flooding and or water damage. There was no coffee, we didn't have enough towels. I asked for someone to bring up and they never came. Some of the furniture was rusting and the cable worked intermittently. Some of the light bulbs were out and when I turned on the bathroom faucet BROWN WATER CAME OUT. I was too tired to complain and I went to bed. The next morning there was flooding water in the main corridor of the 16th floor.( Kind of made me think that there were bigger problems on that floor other than just the "personnel" **please note that this was just an observation**) and to no surprise of mine, the construction was ongoing with no sign of it completing that day. Heres a suggestion; You have a website - how about you indicate the current problems on the website, maybe offer a discounted rate for the inconvenience instead of making a promise to your clients at a premium rate that you cant live up too instead of merely just filling rooms and dealing with it on the back end and letting the client eat the losses.
So, we went out for the day and used another hotels facility as my vision of laying on the beach does not include heavy duty equipment operation and diesel smoke as part of my relaxing ritual.
On my way out I kindly spoke to the concierge again and asked if maybe in good faith she could drum up 1 more of those fancy 20 dollar massages so that at least myself and my wife could benefit as it was clear that there would be no monetary compensation or upgrade vailable. ( I didn't think that was a lot to ask)
Upon returning she approached me and said that her manager said no. perfect.
When I asked to speak with him was unavailable and the meeting never took place as we checked out the following morning. In doing so I heard many other couples and families complaining and getting nowhere. I heard the front desk tell another client that the managers whereabouts, name and contact information was "confidential" and they could not materialize this so called manager.
Just to be clear; I love mexico with all its beautiful imperfections and I have been coming here since I was a child. This establishment failed miserably to even attempt to please its clients on a minimal level. I strongly suggest you do not waste your money here. Unbelievably disappointing and I will NEVER COME BACK or recommend it to any one in my circle. It has a nice view though. Salud.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Encino
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Mazatlán for 4 days 3 nights, the property is absolutely beautiful, however there is a lot of room for improvement. The hot tub in our room was broken and leaking, the leaking was fixed, but we were still unable to use it. The faucet in the bathroom was obviously not well thought out, it spills everywhere since the actual faucet is too close to the sink. The beach was unfortunately full of styrofoam and other debris from the empty lot next to the hotel, it would be nice if the staff cleaned it every morning to ensure the beach stayed clean. Those were my only concerns, besides that, the staff was extremely courteous, respectful, and attentive. The private beach is definitely a plus (wish it wasn't so dirty).The food was okay, but it is definitely cheaper and tastier to go eat in the town. The bed and the room were very comfortable as well. We were there for a wedding, which came out perfectly.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Dieppe, NB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here a couple of nights on our way to and from Copper Canyon as part of a tour with Superior Tours Puerto Vallarta. The rooms are very nice, all facing the ocean. The beds are comfortable, the room spacious but the bathroom could be bigger. Strange thing in the bathroom: the sink, although nice to look at, is not very functional. The tap is too close to the edge so you can’t wash your hands without getting water all over the counter. Someone clearly wasn’t thinking when they designed this. The pool area is very nice although shade is limited. The beach is also very nice and good for long walks. There are a couple of convenience stores within walking distance, but overall, the place is isolated and a good 20 min from the city. The restaurant is ok but I don’t think many would want to eat there daily.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Carlos G, Gerente at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much for have been taken the time to leave your comments about your recent experience which are so important to us. It is a pleasure for us to know that our facilities have met your expectations. Once again thank you very much and hope you return soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was expecting a lot more from the pictures I saw beforehand. They really need to do something about renovating the place, my room was dirty, they had moe in the showers and the doors didn't close. The food is not the best, it's better to dine out but the service was good.

Stayed April 2015
Carlos G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding bathroom , shower and food experience. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments.
Once again thank you very much and hope you return soon.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked a room at the Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, in Mexico. At the time we assumed that the Crowne Plaza brand was synomonous with great customer service and luxurious accommodations; obviously NOT in Mazatlan, Mexico. In a city full of some of the most gracious, friendly, and customer service oriented people in the world, the CP Mazatlan fails horribly! Upon arrival we are greeted by a very lack-lustered young man named Mayco, soiled sheets, a dirty room, and no cable television in the entire hotel. When we ask the hotel staff to accommodate on us on several occasions the answer was always "NO" in a very nonchalant way.

As much as I truly like the Crowns Plaza brand, I would not recommend CP Mazatlan to my enemy. I would suggest, El Cid, Pueblo Bonita Emerald Bay, or RIU, but NOT Crowne Plaza! Come see Mazatlan, it's BEAUTIFUL, and the people are great. This is a place where the people make the city.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are truly sorry for the conditions you experienced during your stay. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to change your perception of our hotel
moose jaw
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2015

We had been told that this hotel was only 5 years old and on arrival the shabby condition of some of the areas would lead you to believe it was more like fifty,panels missing from doors that access air-conditioners etc , the elevators shake and jiggle like they were worn out and it seemed like there was always one that was not working.
Although the lobby and pool areas and grounds are quite nice.
The internet was sparatic at best in the rooms for one week of our stay we had to sit in the lobby to be connected.
We had three days without hot water and one day with no water at all.
The staff were all very friendly and tried to be helpful however most of the problems with this hotel were out of there hands.

Room Tip: If you want to connect to the internet in your room pick a room closer to the elevator as the WiFi a...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Carlos G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 21, 2015
We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Best Regards,
Glen Rock, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2015 via mobile

We stayed over for a night on our way back from LA to Mexico City. We really liked it. Every room has a beautiful view of the ocean. The service was excellent. Check in was a breeze. The place is really pretty. The room is very nice. The bathroom wasn't the most beautiful one but it was ok. We didn't eat anything here because we all prefer to adventure out. It's not in the busy side of town so if you are looking for a place to relax this hotel is good.... but if you don't have a car you will need to grab a taxi if you want to go to the busy side of the beach. You can find open taxis that are like oversized golf carts. You should negotiate the rate before getting on. The hotel property is not big but you can walk on the beach.

• Stayed January 2015
Carlos G, Gerente at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 21, 2015
Thank you so much for your very favorable comments about our hotel. It is a pleasure for us to know that our staffs have met your expectations. Once again thank you very much and hope you return soon.

Been to Crowne Plaza Mazatlan? Share your experiences!