“Pretty Good for a short stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Mazatlan

You added Crowne Plaza Mazatlan to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Mazatlan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cerritos No 3110 | Marina Mazatlán, Mazatlan 82100, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #25 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty Good for a short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Crowne Plaza Mazatlan
We only stayed one night before moving over to the El Cid Marina for a week. ROOM #1611

Getting There: About $40 USD from the airport

Checking in – CANADIANS BE AWARE: I had severe troubles checking into the Crowne. All 3 credit cards (all with security chips) I provided declined and there was plenty of room on all of them. After reassuring me it wasn’t their system/merchant account, I used the phone at the end of the desk and they kindly dialed VISA for me. VISA verified authorization attempts were made from the Crowne and they were getting declined because their terminal was not asking for me to put in a PIN number. Their terminals are not set up properly. When you purchase anything in Mazatlan and get a decline, you need to instruct the front desk clerks/stores to manually punch in the numbers (as if it was a phone transaction) and then it will work for all Canadian Chip cards.

ROOM: I was surprised that I didn’t get upgraded being a gold member. We had a standard King room with only a window and there were other units with balconies. Small fridge for drinks only.Didn't bother to ask for an upgrade since it was only for 1 night. Got on the 16th floor though.

BED: Hard as rocks and so uncomfortable – I slept awful.

BATHROOM: Nice with a funky sink, but a little unpractical for washing your face. Shower has space for two adults.
Floor was all tile, so bring indoor flip flops to keep feet comfortable.

BEACH: Was very good and quiet. Slope was a little steeper than the beach in the Golden Zone. The Crowne Plaza beach was very wavy. You can walk for miles in either direction.

POOL: Very nice –all one depth, so only good for sunbathing and no diving.

RESTAURANT: Average – we had an a la carte breakfast and it was fine. Bacon and eggs, toast was $6 USD. There was a Buffet for breakfast for $14 USD.

LOCATION: It was very quiet and remote – but not as remote as the RIU which is at the end of the beach. With only one restaurant, you would need to take the bus ($1 USD) into town for any entertainment and food.

I would stay in the Golden Zone next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlos G, Gerente at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are truly sorry for the conditions you experienced during your stay. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to change your perception of our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Crowne Plaza is in a quiet location about 10 min from the Golden Zone. Hotel is very bright and airy with a modern decor. The best attribute is the "service" of the staff. Everybody from bell-hop Oscar to Maitre D Julio were extremely friendly. Julio was very helpful in fixing us a great vegetarian dinner. Overall, our experience was very nice. Wish the hotel had a Jacuzzi!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for room with balconies!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlos G, Gerente at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you so much for your very favorable comments about our hotel. It is a pleasure for us to know that our staffs have met your expectations. Once again thank you very much and hope you return soon.
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

The only thing good about this stay is they had my reservation right at the top of the pile. All I had to do was show my Platinum membership card, fill in my email address and sign the sheet.
They assigned me to room 1812, the southern most room on the top floor.
We had driven 8 hours to get there, so wanted a snack. Unlike the room 1808 we'd had on Jan 17, which was well stocked and clean, this one was a disaster. There was not a single piece of silverware, no cutlery or utensils, no dish soap, dish rag, sponge or dish towel, like we'd had the previous time.
I went into the bedroom after looking all the other places, and pulled on the closet door handle to open it, and it feel on the bed. Luckily I jumped out of the way.
I had taken off my shoes, like I do at home, and happened to look at the bottom of my white socks. They were already black from the grime on the floor. I called the desk to complain, but they spoke no English, unlike the previous stay. I should have asked for a room change, but my overly optimistic wife said, oh, they'll get it right.
WRONG. Next morning I discovered the stove is out of the level of experience I have had, living and visiting all over the world. I finally found that I have to turn on one knob for the burner, then another, which is a timer to make the stove work. A third knob was broken off. I don't think this hotel is even four years old, and it's falling apart!
There were paint splotches on the counter top in the bathroom,and even in the sink.
When I asked to see the manager when I checked out, I was told the manager was "not available".
AVOID this place. It's over priced and terribly managed, as it's obvious no one had looked at this room in quite a while!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Winchester, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We have traveled all over Mexico, Central and South America and just spent a week over the Christmas Holidays at The Crown Plaza in Mazatlan. I have to say it was a very enjoyable experience. There were five travelers which included our 12 year old granddaughter and we could not have been treated better by the staff starting with our 1:30 a.m. check-in.
The pool was exceptionally clean and well maintained. The staff started o/a 6:00 a.m. the morning to assure that it was ready for the early arrivals.
I think this place has gotten an undeserved bad wrap and I call them as I seem them and I would definitely return!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Carlos G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you so much for have been taken the time to leave your comments about your recent experience which are so important to us. It is a pleasure to know that our staff made him feel at home and meet your expectations. . Once again thank you very much and hope you return soon.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I just wanted to express the horrible experience I had at this property in Mazatlan. After driving 8 hours and having stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Guaymas, we were received with a complimentary drink. My girlfriend and I checked in, only to find out when we used the toilet that there was no water at the hotel. Incredible!!!!! In a Crowne Plaza!!! We were not told prior to check in that there was a problem with water, nor we were given a choice to decide for other hotel. We were told when we called the front desk that the problem would be fixed within and hour, but it did not happen, and even in our check out, the hotel did not have water. Another upset guest told us this was the third time it happened within 30 days. Management was not available when we checked out... I regret paying 200 dlls to stay here for a night, and eventhough the check out clerks were courteous, we did not spoke to the manager...perhaps they dont care. Hotel offered me a certificate to stay in hell for other night, that is, to come back and visit them on the house. Please get real!!!! If you want my advise...PLEASE AVOID STAYING HERE!!! Go to EL CID instead! I stayed friday dec 6th for one night.

Room Tip: This is very far away from the boardwalk ...very secluded...no action.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear BusinessT907,

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
North Pole, Alaska (God's backyard)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Very modern décor! From arrival until we left this morning, Jose was always helping people, he was so helpful. While we were waiting for our room to be ready (we were early), we were surprised with a very appreciated fruity drink. Our room (210) was beautiful! We had a Jacuzzi 2-person tub in front of full window overlooking the pool & ocean. For safety, the window only opened about 5 inches so no night breeze. The tub area had colored LED lights and the room was white with bright pink accents. Since the room had the huge tub in front of the windows, there was no balcony to sit out on (our choice). The was a large walk-in shower with rainfall showerhead, nice! The sink was The magnifying mirror in the bathroom gave me an electrical shock (reported on check-out) so I just didn't use it. The bed was very comfortable. The restaurant was under a little construction so we ate breakfast & dinner by the pool with the ocean waves crashing only yards away. Edgar was our main waiter at breakfast and was always available, checking on us but not intrusive. The pool was crystal clear & beautiful! Very clean! All one depth, less than 4 ft. The a/c In our room could not keep up with the heat (mid-Oct) and even into the middle of the night it was hot (over 22 C) the thermostat was set for 19 C and it never got there during our 3 night stay, lowest was 21 or 21.5 C and the highest was 25 C. We kept the curtains closed from mid-morning until late night which was disappointing but the heat was too much.
There is an OXXO across the street. Nothing else (stores) around so some type of transportation was needed. Green bus 10 peso, taxi or pulmonia (50 peso-140 peso) were needed to go to the malls or downtown Old Mazatlan. The beach was beautiful but be warned (I wasn't) there is a dangerous undertow in this area. I found out the tough way & was tossed all over getting a bunch of bruises and scratches ... all I wanted was to "bounce" in the waves, ocean & undertow were MUCH too strong. Oh well, not too bad, but scary. There was one jewelry solicitor out on the beach but wasn't intrusive. I really enjoyed our stay & the hotel, grounds & pool are beautiful! Staff are friendly and very helpful!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
: Thank you so much for your very favorable comments about our hotel. . We work very hard to achieve the level of guest satisfaction that you express in your review. . It is a pleasure to know that our staff made him feel at home and meet your expectations. Once again thank you very much and hope to return soon, Best Regards
The World
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed in the Marina Mazatlan at the Crown Plaza (Blvd. Sabalo Cerritos No. 3110, Marina Mazatlan, Mazatlan, Sinaloa, tel. 669-988-0324). We stayed in Room 1606 for M$1466.44 or US$111. The room was big enough and when the air conditioning cooled the room it was pleasant. The room had a western exposure over the pool and with a full ocean view. In the room was a table with 2 chairs, a mini refrigerator and coffee maker. There was a sofa and a small low table in front of it. The TV was across from the sofa. (This is unusual and worth mentioning because too often the TV is in front of the bed and cannot be turned to face the comfortable seating in hotel rooms.) There was a king bed, a desk and allegedly free, Internet wi-fi. It didn’t work in the room so we used the Internet in the lobby. The bathroom was just big enough (with an adequate-sized shower) and so was the closet and the storage. Maintenance seemed to be lacking. The electrical outlet in the bathroom didn’t work, even after the technico came. We went to the beach area but didn’t go into the ocean because the waves were too big. We went into the pool and sat by it for a little while. It was really, really hot out. The room rate included breakfast and it was a full, prepared to order one from a menu. We had a nopal and orange juice smoothie and a strawberry one too. Dimitri had oatmeal and Audre had the full Mexican offering with scrambled eggs Mexican style, frijoles and potatoes. The toast was inedible but generally the breakfast was very good. Using the elevators from our 16th floor room was annoying. They were slow and one was out of commission. The hotel wasn’t bad; it was just annoying.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlos G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We regret that your stay with us was not entirely satisfactory but we appreciate your giving us very specific comments that allow us to focus on real solutions. At the same time, your critique was balanced by positive comments. This causes us to work even harder to correct any problems.
Examples include your problems with the Wifi system which we will correct immediately along with the maintenance problems you had with the electrical outlet in the bathroom. While we appreciate your positive notes on the breakfast, we won’t be satisfied until the toast is properly prepared and served. That is a basic requirement for any well prepared breakfast.
We apologize for one of the elevators being out of service and we know that elevator problems are particularly annoying to people on the upper floors. We make every effort to maintain reliable elevator service to avoid this problem but we will redouble our efforts to prevent any elevator delays.
Thank you again for staying with us. We hope there will be another chance to show that we can learn and improve from the kind of fair minded critiques that you have been kind enough to provide.

Been to Crowne Plaza Mazatlan? Share your experiences!