“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Mazatlan

You added Crowne Plaza Mazatlan to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Mazatlan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cerritos No 3110 | Marina Mazatlán, Mazatlan 82100, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Fox Island, Washington, United States
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

The minute we walked into the lobby, we felt let-down. The lobby is shabby and does not live up to the photos on their website. Maybe if they hadn't used white EVERYTHING, it wouldn't look so dirty and shabby!

It was super busy when we were there, and the pool wasn't worth using. It was packed.

One night, we decided to order room service. They didn't speak English, so I ordered in Spanish. I'm not saying it was GOOD Spanish, but I was trying. After an hour: no food. After calling down to room service and the front desk and being transferred and hung up on a few times, we finally went downstairs. The people at the front desk spoke better English, and were really helpful.

When our food finally arrived, they'd gotten our order wrong. They still charged us for the food they messed up, too. Grr! The food was OKAY. The buffet breakfast in the morning is yummy, though! We really liked that.

And our room was pretty nice. It only had one, tiny trash can in the bathroom. Also, a microfridge, but no microwave. The view is nice, but the windows are pretty smudged and cracked. The bed was SUPER COMFY!

The jacuzzi was nice, but after we filled it, there was a weird, orange film on the top of the water. Ew...?

You can't drink the faucet water, and they provide you with two bottles of water. The room also has a lot of nice amenities, like a razor, toothpaste, lots of soaps, linen spray, mouthwash, etc...

Most of the staff is nice, though. We were the only English-speaking Americans, but that was fine. We just felt like we stuck out.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
pedro l, Gerente at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Valerie K:

I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. We are looking at a number of projects and improvements for this year related to our physical plant.and extensive training for our staff. I do hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting Crowne Plaza Mazatlan in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality of our hotel.
Our staff will alwyas be willing to be of service.

With kind regards,

Crowne Plaza Mazatlan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The style of this hotel is great - ultra-modern and hot pink. Our room (#706), however, had many problems. The bathroom and shower door didn't close properly, even the front door - directly across from the elevators - didn't close entirely and so we were woken up whenever chatty people were coming or going. Besides that, the toilet didn't flush (was fixed), safe wouldn't lock, no hot water at all on the second day. This seems to be a destination for Mexican guests, there was a wedding & a convention during our stay. The biggest drag for us was that the resort is a 10 minute taxi ride from either of the popular zones in Mazatlan - you're kind of far out there. They have really comfy beds though. The maid was excellent (my roommate was super messy) and the restaurant manager is very dedicated.

Room Tip: Inspect your room thoroughly before getting settled!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Sparkles415,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Very nice hotel and staff. Great pool! Aojos recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
pedro l, Gerente at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear Van_clay:
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Mazatlan and for choosing our property for your recent stay.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest hoping to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Crowne Plaza Resort
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We just got back from an amazing 2 week stay at the Crowne Plaza Mazatlan. We had booked the trip in early 2011 after finding an all-inclusive deal that we couldn’t pass up. Truth be told we were a bit worried about what we would find when we got there based on some of the reviews; however, we discovered right away that there was absolutely nothing to worry about!

A recent change in management seems to have improved things at the Crowne. The property itself is immaculate, our room was great (beds were comfortable, which is saying something for anywhere in Mexico) and the staff were, in a word, incredible. They work extremely hard to ensure your every need is taken care of and we’d like to give a shout-out to Rossalio, Ernesto, Hugo, Wendy, Jose, Horacio and all of the staff at the Crowne – thank you so much for making our trip extra-special!

The food was always fresh and was served in a timely manner. There was sufficient variety on the menu to keep us satisfied for the entire two weeks of our stay. When we made a special request they were more than happy to create the meal of our choosing from items on the menu. The wait staff brought drinks to us at the pool/beach as well as items from the snack menu. We especially enjoyed the club sandwich.

If you are looking for a resort that has nightly entertainment and multiple pools/restaurants/bars then we would recommend looking somewhere else. However, we would highly recommend the Crowne Plaza if you are looking for a beautiful place to RELAX and hang out by the pool/beach. You are sure to enjoy the baby-powder sand beaches, amazing sunsets, clean and bright facilities, great staff and impeccable service. Mazatlan is a beautiful place and is safe for anyone who uses common sense when travelling…give the Crowne Plaza a try, you won’t be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
pedro l, Manager at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear RepeatTravelers,
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. We are more than happy to know that you had an enjoyable experience in our resort.
I appreciatte all of your kind words about our employees and our services. We will continue on improve better ourselves hoping to welcome you again in the future.

Kind regards

Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

While the people are genuine and helpful, simple expected and services such as clean towels, bathroom tissue, high speed internet and room keys that work for more than one day at a time are lacking. The pool is clean and inviting but the deck charis are oftne not clean or repaired. Our room dorr handle took 8 days for the hotel staff to repair to ensure we could lock our room! We had no functional wireless high speed internet in our room (and no wired option) and had to take the computer into the hallway or the lobby to use it. Our room was cleaned every day but we had to call down more than once for bath tissue. The towels by pool side were often out and we had to wait for more.

Room Tip: keep to the lower floors, I heard from other guests their rooms had fewer issues
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
pedro l, Director General at Crowne Plaza Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear mkowalson:
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Crowne Plaza Mazatlan.First of all I would to apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay. I am pleased to introduce myself as new General Manager of the hotel. One of my first tasks was to read the many reviews posted in tripadvisor. I will be addressing the issues you have pointed out in your review. We have implemented a program to ensure all areas are clean and made some changes in the wifi wireless system in order to avoid any problems in the future. We are looking at a number of improvements as we go forward in 2012. Please feel free to contact me directly with other comments or suggestions at gerentegeneral@mazatlancp.com , I can assure you that it will receive my personal attention and follow up.
Thank you for your kind feedback.

Best regards,

gerentegeneral@mazatlancp.com
Adelanto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

my family travelled to mazatlan to visit in- laws, so this hotel was booked by my sister-in-law without me knowing anything about it...but very impressed..BEAUTIFUL, very nice staff, and wonderful rooms. the only negative thing i have to say is the restuarant was no good, the staff was nice but the food was a poor attempt at american cuisine...i highly recommed this hotel, i felt safe and felt as if everyone was very helpful

Room Tip: seemed that all the rooms were nice, but make sure you use the taxi company the hotel recommends we...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I stayed here for work. I chose the hotel because of the Crowne Plaza Brand and thought it would be one of the best. Upon arrival, the staff was very attentive, welcomed me and acknowledged my Priority Club Gold Status (which was a nice gesture).
By the time I walked into my suite I saw something was missing. I'm not complaining but, for the Crowne Plaza Brand this hotel is missing something that I can't put my finger on. My room had a jacuzzi (nice although I didn't have the time to use it) a nice beach view and an empty mini bar. The bed and its linien looked a bit old. Compared to ther Crowne Plaza properties I've had the fortune of visiting, this one does not meet the standard but, anyway is a nice place to stay. Please keep in mind that this one is quite far away from almost anything and the closest thing you'll find is an Oxxo (convenience store) quite close to it.
Finally, I ordered room service and I enjoyed my dinner as well as the service.
Overall, I would reccomend this place, however, don't expect the luxury of other Crowne Plaza properties.

Room Tip: Seems all rooms have a view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Mazatlan? Share your experiences!