“Quiet, well-kept resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mayan Palace Mazatlan

You added Mayan Palace Mazatlan to your Saves list
Mayan Palace Mazatlan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Sabalo Cerritos | Zona Hotelera Norte, Mazatlan 82100, Mexico   |
Ranked #51 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Maple Ridge, Canada
“Quiet, well-kept resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here last week (April) and there was hardly anybody staying there, which made it nice - not sure if it is always like that. Lots of room around the pool, drinks were good. We only ate at the restaurant once as it seemed kind of expensive compared to places in town. We hopped on the bus right outside the resort every day and headed downtown to explore. It is only 10 pesos ( less than a dollar) and a great way to get around. Avoid the "Pulmonias" which are golf-cart like things that probably will give you a pulmonary due to their exhaust. A lot of the drivers seemed to be affiliated with time shares as well, they would pull up to us when we were walking and say" I give you a free ride today, you just come tomorrow for a special promotion" - no thanks, we'll walk or take the bus! The staff were great, rooms were clean and very big. I was kind of disappointed with the internet scenario but hey, you're in Mexico so you can't really get too upset. They had a business centre which cost 42 pesos an hour (less than $4) but if you wanted the wireless in your room it was 170 pesos - a bit of a money grab. If you want a great Mexican experience for eating go across the road from the resort to the huge Pacifico beer can and every evening except Tuesdays, "Tacos Escorpio by Henry" will serve you a great meal and cheap beer! It is basically a tent in a parking lot but lots of fun! This is a great place for a low key, relaxing stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Mount Shasta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just got back from two weeks at the Mayan.We had avery nice and relaxing time.The place is well maintained and every one was very helpfu.We ate breakfast there every morning and our severs we called them the three amigos were great. Ther names were Ismael,Felix and Pablo.They not only did there jobs well but were also very helpful in all types of information we wanted to know about Mazatlan as well as the people of Mexico.Brandon was lots of help at the pool and giving us information too.Arron the activities director did his job well from excercising on the beach with me to having to play husband and pingpong and loosing.This resort has nice beach andis more for relaxing.About the time share people my husband talked to them and told we not interested and for them to respect our privacy and they did.I only wish they were a little closer to town so I could of just walked around instead of taking the bus.The bus system is good and not very much.There was a nice inexspensive place to eat by the supermarket on the left as you walk out to the street.It Harry"s it not a building good food.Also turning right and walking several blocks there is a place called the green resort if you walk in there is a real cute rest. and good food not pricey.The people and town of Mazatlan were melo and wonderful.We went on a sail boat call Me Casa it was lots of fun with captain Eduardo.We sailed around the island and had lunch it was very nice,We felt very safe day and nite there.We really enjoyed our stay :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth,mn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great relaxation resort. The pool area is clean, with lots of places to catch the sun, but the pool is unheated. The poolside bar/snack bar was great. Pablo, Angel and the others provided good service, with a smile.
The beach is awesome with an hours walk in either direction on smooth sand. Yes, there were some vendors, but the prices were low and they were very polite. They were not pesty. We took a small cooler to the beach and hung out most days in peace. The ocean is unheated, as well.
We did the timeshare presentation, which gave us some nice perks. We did not feel that we were overly pressured. We feel the timeshare presentations are part of our vacation. We learn something new each time.
At first we had a room on the backside, but were moved to the oceanside as soon as one became available. We made it a point to get to know staff and call them by name. Isn't it amazing that the more you treat people like people, the better they treat you. We did not have any of the negative experiences that many reviewers have cited.
Our ladt bit of advice (and we were initially reluctant) is take the Sabado Centro bus downtown. It's 10 pesos (about 85 cents) each way. You get a good lay of the land and see a lot of sights. You can jump off anywhere and explore and then get back on anywhere (another 10 pesos). We rode several times in our two weeks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Yakima, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Mayan Palace is a decent resort. It is meticulously well cared for, and the service was, for the most part, very good. It has good beach access with decent beachside amenities, as long as you don't mind the endless parade of beach vendors. The building we stayed in (#3) was reportedly the newest of the three resort buildings. Even so, it was a bit long in the tooth, but we did not mind. It was clean and comfortable and offers good resort and ocean views on the west side. We managed to duck the time share presentation. Simply insist upon being given your room key at the front desk and don't go to the "Informacion" desk for your key, which is what they prefer you do. The main pool is quite nice but is either not heated or barely so. Few people used it. The onsite dining room was very acceptable. Finally, do not get sucked into the "free" tour of Mazatlan. It is poorly done and a waste of time. All in all, the Mayan Palace is good for one stay, but one stay only.

Room Tip: Ask for Building #3 on the west side, preferably an upper floor for the ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I booked this for my family so they could relax and have a nice time. Every morning the phone rang to ask them to come to "breakfast" to endure a time share presentation. I specifically booked with the Mayan Palace Sea Garden because of the lovely big pool for my grandson to enjoy. THE POOL WAS NOT HEATED!!!! IT WAS ICE COLD!!! This was a very big disappointment. I will never recommend this hotel for a family. It may be fine for someone who does not use the pool and has time to be harassed by time share sales people.

Kay Simons
Alberta Canada

Room Tip: I gave a generous tip for booking an Ocean view. Air conditioner very noisy. All the staff were ve...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
El Paso Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This a great hotel if you are traveling with children. It has a lot of entertainment for your children. The ocean is always red but there is a section where you can jump waves and have fun. There is a lot of Palapas and the bar is just at the back of them. Great pool and there is an iguana that lives in the middle island of it.
If you want to go downtown take a taxi for $150.00 pesos, Camaron Sabalo bus for $9.50 pesos with air conditioner or Cerritos bus for $6.50 pesos, but also the famous Pulmonias for $100.00 pesos. 20 minutes drive and it really depends on how fast the driver drives.

Room Tip: Above 4 floor to get a better view of the ocean and pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Eaton, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Mayan Palace is clean and a nice place to stay. Next time I will NOT stay at a time share. I thought I could handle this after the reviews but after working extremely hard for over 2 years and going on vacation I did NOT want to be woke up to phone calls wanting me to " eat breakfast" . Finally I caved met them for breakfast, talked to the salesman, told him no, they passed me off to 3 other guys and the third guy actually told me the salesman only had one chance of making a sale today and if I had no intention I should of said so from the beginning. I was furious! I had been telling all of them that from the beginning ! I told him I wanted to be left alone so I finally said yes and now this meeting was Over!.
My Aunt & Uncle are owners and I may have considered it but when I am on vacation , I am on vacation . I would of Never made any decisions that week. Next time I will find a great location on the Golden Zone. Mazatlan was fabulous!!

Room Tip: Always ask for room with a view ( the beach) and make sure it is ours did not have much of a view bu...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Mayan Palace Mazatlan, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear terrisboomer :
We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at Mayan Palace and for your kind words about our facilities.

As one of the most successful companies in the Mexican tourism field, we clearly communicate the terms and conditions associated with accepting an invitation to our sales presentation and everyone - at free will, attends and we appreciate their visit whether they decide to acquire our products or not.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. We do appreciate any feedback being provided to us and it will be shared with the appropriate areas.
We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future to truly impress you with what we have to offer.

Mayan Palace Mazatlán Management.

Been to Mayan Palace Mazatlan? Share your experiences!