“Yet Again the RIU was Top Notch..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #15 of 76 hotels in Mazatlan
Alberta, Canada
“Yet Again the RIU was Top Notch..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

First off, I would like to say how much our group of 23 enjoyed our stay at the Riu Emerald Bay in Mazatlan.

On arrival, it was an easy check-in process for most. We had requested to have all our rooms together on the same floor, but some were not, but never seemed to be an issue for anyone, as much time as you spend in our rooms; it did not cause any issues.

Over the weekend, the resort was much busier than through the week and it was noticed that the staff cater more to their own native Mexican guests which they seem to stay more on the weekends. Through the week, the staff was very accommodating to all of us.

Throughout the week we enjoyed all three of the a la cartes, which were all great. The evening of our night at the steak house, I had left my camera case on a table outside the restaurant area. When I remembered that I left it, it of course of was gone. I spoke to both maître D’s at the steak house and the buffet area, which both had told me that all lost items are to be turned in at the front desk. As I went to the front desk to get a new room key, the Maître D from the buffet and a security guard arrived with my camera case. With much relief, I showed my appreciation to him. Also, another couple from group had a beach game they had brought from home accidentally thrown in the garbage and the staff was good enough to search through and found the game and it was returned to the guests.

I just want to pass on kudos to 2 of the staff members who treated our group like they had known us for years... Hilda in the buffet - amazing lady!!! and Jorge in swim up and entertainment bar area - these 2 should be up for staff awards.....

We also took in eating down the beach at Mr. Lionis (orange building) - great seafood meals. Highly recommended to anyone. Very reasonable prices also - 2 for 1 drinks and the servings are huge, you may want to share. For a couple the cost was $37 USD which included 4 drinks and 2 seafood meals. They also have a zip line tour organized out of this restaurant - this is also highly recommended. For a reasonable price, part of our group took a day and we all enjoyed it, check it out. Cheaper than through the other tour companies.

RIU Management should be proud of this resort. We look forward to another vacation at another RIU All Inclusive Resort in our near future.

• Stayed April 2010

1,703 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
Fort Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

I have to say Hotel Riu Emerald bay was one of my favorite hotels ever. The place is very clean, fun, friendly and safe. I have to say that the service we received was over and above. At the bars the servers were amazing. Joel, Paco, Eric, Allen, and everyone else always worked so hard and made the experience so wonderful. We always had something fun to drink. The entertainment was always a lot of fun. The mexican beach party was so fun. We didn't want the night to end.. The food was amazing. They had an assortment of food for everyone, children, etc.. Our rooms was great. Quiet and always cleaned very well. I think this was the greatest experience. I high recommend this hotel to all families. It is suited for everyone.

Dana

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

We were concerned because of some of the reviews. We traveled with our daughter, her husband, our son, and daughter. What we experienced was a very friendly staff, good food and a wonderful beach. We stayed in the second floor so we wouldn't have to wait for elevators. The room was always cleaned each day. The bar was refreshed every other day. The lobby was constantly refreshed. The staff was very polite. I would come again. The only thing is internet was not always available. But, then, I guess we need to relax!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Our group of eleven friends stayed at the beautiful RIU EMERALD BAY resort from April 16 - 23 and enjoyed excellent weather during our stay. This is what we experienced during our stay...

Check-in - this was handled very quickly and with no problems. The staff was organized and accomadating.

Rooms - our room was very clean upon arrival and the cleaning staff kept it that way throughout our stay. Rooms were made up by noon every day. One group in our party had a suite on the 20th floor and it was very spacious and they enjoyed it very much. However, with only 3-elevators it took some time to get up to the 20th floor. The majority of our rooms were on the 3rd floor so if it was busy we just took the stairs. Not a big deal.

Pool area - the pools are laid out very nicely. We had no problem getting chairs together. The pool bar was always busy and the water seemed to be a different color than the other pools. One of our complaints was that the hotel sells "day passes" to Mexican familys and many days 2-5 bus loads were dropped off by 9am. Of course this means that there are kids all over the place. The parents over-ran the pool bar and resturaunts and the kids played in the water all day long. Our group decided to set up camp on the far end of the pool and had a great time sunning all day long. One complaint was we only saw the drink cart once a day. They did have a beer tapper within 20 yards so we did not go thirsty! One day one of the pool bartenders brought us some drinks and after tipping him we had no problems getting drinks the rest of the afternoon!

Food - breakfast everyday was excellent - great selections of everything you could want. Afternoon lunch also provided a good selection - pizza, fish, mexican food, hamburgers, porkchops, many different salads, pastas and deserts. Also - always an unlimited supply of beer, soda, wine and water. Dinner buffet also provided "everything under the sun" to eat. YOU WILL NOT GO HUNGREY!

Theme resturaunts - Orient - VERY good. Steak - nothing special. Mexican - should have eaten at the buffet. Wait staff at all - very professional and accomadating.

Beach area - lots of chairs - lots of sun. Surf is rough but you can wade in to get the feel. Vendors outside the ropes are no problems. Note - if your looking for "bathing beautys" laying on the beach - ain't happening here!

Bars - lobby bar is very nice and makes great drinks. Never very busy. Outside bar is generally busy and seemed to be where the more drunk people hung out. Entertainment was basic and nothing special.

Conclusion - if you want to find a nice hotel to go to and lay in the sun and not do a lot (and kids don't bother you) this is your place. You have to remember that you are in Mexico and this is their way of life. The people were generally friendly. Our group enjoyed our stay at the RIU by geting into our own "groove" and laid back in the sun and wasted the day away! Would we go back....too many other places in the world to explore so probably not.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We arrived at the RIU Emerald Bay as part of an organized tour. We wanted to see this new property before deciding whether or not to book a longer vacation there in Mazatlan. When we arrived at noon, the front desk was very unorganized even though there were very few guests checking in or out . It took 35 minutes to get our wristbands. One thing that stood out was that staff were not the friendliest that we have seen. I consider myself a very tolerant person, but staff made absolutely no attempt to be overly courteous as we have expereinced at other resorts. Aside from the curtness of the staff, everything else was beautiful.

We mostly ate in the Las Gaviotas restaurant which is a buffet. The food in the restaurant was surprisingly good. Everything was hot and fresh. The wine was obviously low end, but the mixed drinks were pretty good. Soda, beer, wine, lemonade, slushees, etc. were all readily available around the clock. The dessert table was to die for!!!!!! There was also an outdoor BBQ and the food was remarkably good there too. Again, staff were not overly friendly.

The hotel was clean and immaculate and the grounds were amazing. The beach was very clean and free of any debris. There were a few local vendors onsite but they were not pushy at all. While the beach is very clean, the water has a cloudy, greenish tint to it. Not the clear blue water like they have in Cabo. There is also a very strong undertow, so unless you are a strong swimmer, I don't recommend going out too far. One person had to be rescued while we were there. Overall, a gorgeous property, and very affordable at $150/per couple/ per nt for the all-inclusive package. This is much cheaper than many other AI's.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

4/20 to 4/23. The property is beautiful. The rooms are very nice. We stayed in a Jr. Suite on the 17th floor. Check in was a breeze. It was a Tues. and we were the only people checking in. The room was very quiet. We heard no noise at all. Not even a door slam. The rooms were well kept and very clean. Yep the elevators are slow.
My first surprise was no room service. I thought I would at least be able to order a pot of coffee in the morning. :( No way. Must get dressed and go down to breakfast.
They told us they re-stalk the mini bar every other day. We checked in at noon on Tues. and by Thurs eve. I had to go to the front desk and request it be re-stalked. No big deal. They took care of it, just too bad I had to ask.
Food was typical all inclusive. You could always find something good. We liked the Mexican restaurant the best. The buffet had lots of variety for breakfast.
The lobby was nice and the wireless worked fine for me in the lobby. I did see people having a hard time getting connected but I never had a problem. I have a HP Mini.

The reason I wont go there again is the lack of rules at the pool. I was prepared from reading these boards... but the children are out of control in the pools. Especially the swim up bar where NO children should be allowed at all.

This was my first RIU experience, but while speaking with others that are familiar with other RIU property's they indicated that this Emerald Bay property is different as far as children, and pool rules. (the lack of) .. Also this property is very popular with the locals. I would say that 90 percent of the guests were large Mexican family's. This is also unique to this property. There is no quiet place at the pool. IF you want quiet (with out screaming children) you must go down on the beach. We could always find a chairs by the pool. No problem there, just noise. From speaking to people who visit only RIU they wont be back to this property, but they raved about other RIU property's.

We did have a good time. It was a very short trip and we paid very little so I cant complain about the value. The property and price are right. I think if the RIU wants better ratings for this property they better raise the price to discourage so many children. I would be willing to pay more for a more peaceful, relaxing experience.

Bar service at the pool is spotty. We always tip very well but even that didn't seem to help with drink service at the pool..

I would visit another RIU, but not this one. From speaking with others and comparing, I would try a RIU Palace that is not considered the local attraction.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

We've traveled to Mexico dozens of times, and know to avoid the Easter Holiday, however, we did not know that the week after Easter is also a holiday?!! We arrived on the Wednesday after Easter, and the hotel was overbooked and overrun with kids. We booked and paid for a Jr. Suite, which they did not have for us? They put us into a regular room, and told us we would be upgraded in two days. They made good on their offer and did upgrade us to a Jacuzzi Suite, which was absolutely gorgeous...jacuzzi inside and one outside on the double large deck. This made the trip most pleasureable. We also only had two days of overcrowding, and we went to the beach (no one was there) and ate the the ala carte's (no kids there either). As soon as the week closed on Saturday...all the good stuff came back out.....We had mimosas at breakfast (those were non-existant before...however we did have a GREAT waiter who would bring us a pitcher every morning anyways!!!) All the ala carte food was doubled, and out came all the seafood...which was fabulous, and the bar carts circled the pool areas. My only complaint about Riu's ( and we've been to a few) is that their restaurants have no ambience..lighting too bright, no music, no candles, no champagne, and really not much ordering from the menu (have to get up and get most of your own food). The Japanese is really a buffet, Mexican, once again, no atmosphere, no Mexican coffee (I love the flaming ritual), and the steakhouse was good, but it's in the lunch buffet area and so it really doesn't seem "special". They try to hurry you along, and you really have to tell them to slow it down, or else you would be done with dinner in a half hour!!! The lobby bar does have a GREAT martini menu, and I did manage to drink my way through those. If we jad arrived when there were no crowds, surely our image of the hotel would have been different. I thought the shows were good. The beach is nice and it's good for walking. We did go to the spa, and the sauna/jacuzzi were very nice. Both my husband and I did get sick this trip, and that ..in all our trips to Mexico...had never happened before.

The hotel is far from the airport, but so are all the hotels...it takes about 35-45 minutes to get from the airport, but it's a nice ride and the scenery is good to experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!