“Wonderful Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #15 of 76 hotels in Mazatlan
Nanaimo, Canada
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

I just wanted to write and say that this place was a wonderful spot for a vacation. Me and my g/f had wanted to get away after the holidays so we chose this almost one year old Riu hotel.

After reading the first couple reviews we were a bit leery of it but then we had to remind ourselves that it was mid summer and that is when the Mexicans have their vacation. What can you expect? Not to mention it was brand new and had to work out it's hiccups.

So January 18th is when we left and arrived there in the evening.

We had asked for a king size bed for our suite and we found that they had pushed two beds together. Realizing this wasn't what we wanted we simply went downstairs and asked for another room. The staff was very accomadating and got us another room... which had someone living in it. Laughing we went back downstairs and told them about it. They were very very apologetic about it and upgarded our room to a Junior suite room. One of the staff Jazial (SP) escorted us upstairs and made sure everything was to our liking. We were very pleased and thanked him for his efforts. The only thing we COULD have complained about in the rooms, (but didn't) was there was no fan in the bathroom to un-fog the mirror. Laughs

Just to clarify a regular room is rather small in my opinion. A Junior suite was a very open large room. The bathroom was small but no smaller then from a regular suite.

The food was wonderful. At 9pm we were wondering if we could get any food but found the buffet open with many many food choices available. I don't know how people can complain about the food. They have American food (hamburgers pastas, hot dogs, you name it!), Mexican food, deserts, fruit, soups, breads, and drinks non or alcoholic. Each specialty restaurant had a small smorgasbord of food and all were quite tasty. We did not go to the Steakhouse restaurant because we were not interested in American food. In my eyes sure I"m sure the food could be better but it's an all inclusive. What do you expect? They had abundant food and it was well prepared and excellent in everything. I don't think you can go without any food at any given time of the day.

The drinks from the sport bar are mostly wonderful. Now I don't drink a lot so I can't say exactly how good the drinks were but I do know I liked what I had

A suggestion is to know what type of alcohol you like. For example... if you ask for a shot of tequila they will give you a standard shot of tequila.. no bones about it. However if you want a shot of tequila called El Jimador (fancy brand) all you have to do is ask for it and they'll give you that. El Jimador makes wicked margaritas btw. So don't just go up there and ask for something standard if you expect the best of the best. You have to specify and chances are high they will have it. I wouldn't recommend a drink called the blue ocean. It's nasty. Mohitos are fabulous and there's a pool boy who wanders around offering drinks to the sun tanned people laying around the pool. There are drinks up in the hotel but they are cheap liquor. Go to the sports bar or the bars outside. Also someone said the wine was lousy at the buffet or in the specialty restaurants. I found them passable but not horrid. But I"m not a wine drinker.

The weather was beautiful. The pools were amazing. The ocean was fabulous. I tie these three things in together cause ... well they were all outdoors. It was nice and quiet for us.. VERY few kids about and we stayed around the pool on the left side as everyone else was over at the swim up bar. Can't tell you what I thought of that place cause we didn't go there but lots of people were in the swim up bar. I heard reviews about people peeing in the pool and it stinking like alcohol cause people can't hold their drinks so we just avoided that place all together. If we wanted drinks we'd flag the pool boy down or go get our own from the sports bar behind the swim up bar.

The ocean was VERY swimable at this time of year. We swam in it every day and body surfed in it. Sure the flags were up saying it was dangerous and sure the jellyfish signs were up but what do you expect? There's jelly fish always in the waters... you want them to take it down on a day there MIGHT NOT be any? It's a way to cover their tails. Swim at your own risk. There is a pretty strong current but if your not a moron who swims out over your head without fins your fine. I only saw one jellyfish our entire stay.

The entertainment was... whats the word... mediocre maybe. It was to Americanized in my eyes. I was looking forward to something Mexican.. salsa dancing etc etc. But every night they had something going along the lines of "Grease", "Mama Mia" and a few others. Some of it was great. There was a night where they had an authentic Mexican night where they served a TON of food out on the beach and the ladies got dressed up in fancy clothing while the men dressed up as matador dancers and whatnot. It was great. They put on a fabulous show and I think I enjoyed that part the most. It was mid week around Wednesday. That was the evening entertainment. The day entertainment we didn't participate in as we were to busy swimming, tanning and sleeping. There is darts, Spanish lessons, silly crazy games (don't ask I don't know minus balloon tossing), air rifle range, dancing lessons, water aerobics and so much more.

You CAN travel out of the RIU on buses, taxis or private vehicles. If you decide to do with a company (example Sunquest) then TALK to them before you go out. They know the best ins and outs and where to go. They know their stuff. We took a bus for about six pesos (8 for the new buses) and went to old Mazatlan. Great old place we enjoyed it. Went to the markets, saw pig heads (Warning: the stench in there is insane.. only in the meat area though.. but what do you expect:P), walked along the beach line down there and just had an all around good time. When we were ready we took a bus back to the golden zone and wandered around there. In my eyes I liked the Old Mazatlan better but that's just me. The Golden Zone is very... modern. Make SURE you get a map from your company before you wander off though. Very easy to get lost:) Also if you walk north up the beach at the RIU you will run into a great lil restaurant called Mr Leionos (sp) or something like that. If you go past it and walk further on along the road there's an RV park which has a few convenience stores and a nifty lil coffee shop.

All in all I was impressed. It was my first all inclusive hotel and I found it fabulous to stay at. The staff was wonderful. You be polite to them and friendly they'll open up to you. They are people to so treat em with respect as you would anywhere else. Sure they are there to wait on you but they are not there to lick your boots. Tip the house cleaning ladies. We found the pillows were very small and thin so we asked for two more. We tipped every morning and had no problems. Always had a clean and tidy place they LOOOVE leaving little towel animals. If you want extra towels that's how to do it:). A couple bucks for tips goes a long long way. Sure you paid already for an all inclusive but if you treat the staff like dirt, your're going to wish you didn't. Don't go there expecting them to wait hand on foot on you. They are good but it's an all inclusive. You want full service go to a five star RIU which isn't an all inclusive with butlers with white gloves and whatnot.

Oh one last thing. If you want a quiet room ask for a room 030+. In other words ask for 930, 630, 1635 or anything like that. It'll put you on the far side of the hotel OPPOSITE of the theater for entertainment is. They go on for about 10:30 their time and can be quite loud. We could JUST barely hear them in 1637 when we slept like babies with our sliding doors open listening to the waves crash.

Great place, great food, great weather all around good memory!

1,703 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

We stayed 1 week starting 18 January. While it was not perfect it was pretty good.

First the drinks. There were two beach bars (one swim up) plus two drink carts and one beer cart. Never had to wait more than a couple of minutes. The RIU serves a variety of imported drinks as well as the domestics. The drinks were well made and as strong as you would like. One Canadian lady had a 16 ounce insulated coffee mug she kept having filled with Baileys!

The beach bars still have wasps. They only sting the bar tender.

Three other bars plus wine and beer in the restaurants.

Food; there were three a la carte restaurants in addition to the Grande Buffet. Only one appealed to me, it served steak and was seldom open. The other two, one Mexican, the other Oriental were really just other buffets with a more limited menu. The Grande Buffet was top notch with great variety and constant replenishment.

The guests were better than in many other all inclusives. Most dressed well, acted politely, did not get too drunk. On the weekends there were a lot of Mexican families on two and three day packages. They all have children.

The hotel is quite a ways north of Mazatlan, a thirty minute city bus ride for either 7 or 9 pesos. Take the Sabalo Centro it goes eveywhere including the old town.Taxi to the Golden Zone was $10 US, you might do better.

Rooms perfectly clean, the hotel is just 7 months old.

There were shortages of face cloths and hand towls, nothing that calling the desk could not rectify.

Entertainment. Great dancers, good productions of Momma Mia and Grease.

Free wireless internet in the lobby that worked half the time.

Mini bar was restocked every two days, but heck who wants to sit in the room and drink.

Victoria BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

In reading the long winded and fabulous reviews for this past month I will only add or disagree with missed items.

I saw this - "No swimming" We swam in the Ocean everyday. Free boogie boards available at the hotel which were unreal fun to ride, surfboards for $10 an hour or $25 for 4 which can be spread out through your whole week. Perfect little waves for beginners to learn on. We had only had a beginner lesson in Tofino before and were good to go on very similar waves without wet suits! There were waves and jellyfish everyday. We each were only stung once in our entire trip being in and out of the ocean several times a day, so don't let the deter you. The jelly fish are so tiny it's just a little sting. The surf shop has novocaine you spray on and it quickly disappears. So don't be mistaken, you can get in there everyday and love that ocean!

I saw this - long waits for elevator - no never. If you ware waiting then go to the other side

I saw this - no service around the pool. Wrong, There was a guy with a drink try there every day (Best drinks come from pool bar by theatre - Especially Ese's Mohitos!!!)

What was missed:

Snorkeling. No one ever mentions the snorkeling and I wasn't sure I wanted to go here because I love snorkeling. There is no snorkeling off our beach, and it won't be the same as in the Caribbean, but it you dig it here's where to go. Walk up the beach to Mr. Lionsis (which yes, you have to go to and have the $20 lobster platter) head up the wooden stars and right to walk down the street until you get to the shops.....which are wayyyyy cheaper than the beach vendors, then at the end of the street there is a beach, with a secluded calm area to snorkel in if the waves aren't to huge (hint: if there are a million locals surfing that's an indication the waves are too massive for snorkeling that day in the bay, but if the waves are their average then it will be ok). It takes about 7 minutes to get there. Now for the jaunt back. Are you adventurous? Do you like a little hike? The bluff that is blocking a direct path back to the hotel (the one at the end of the beach by Mr. Lionsos) has an awesome hiking path on it that walks right along the cliff. It's an amazing view from up there with a nicely carved path. Might even see a couple geckos on your walk. You can also enter from the parking lot by Mr. Lionsos.

Also not mentioned in other reviews. When we arrived in our "king bedded room" we found 2 Queen beds pushed together, even made separately. Not so good for a romantic getaway. The next day we told the front desk and they moved us to an actual king bed room. As mentioned before......they are all ocean view.

Food was amazing, especially the Mexican food at the buffet. My boyfriend and several others at the resort (only men, strangely enough) got sick. Not sure if it was from the food, or water (which you should never drink or even brush your teeth with) and they were all out for a couple days. It's hard to pin point what it was that caused it because the food seemed to be all cooked proper. Only advise I would say is don't eat the food at the 24 hours (all there is is crappy burger and hot dogs in the fridge or nachos and cheese) Or try to get the the lunch buffet early enough that the food has not been sitting there for 2 hours. Other than that we don't really know what happened except that it was not alcohol induced.......Lomotril? Available in the gift shop seemed to clear or rather clog up the problem. Again, I have not seen any other reviewers mention it and I would not let it deter you from going because the food and selection is really something to see and taste.

Ok, I guess I ended up being long winded too.....but that just shows are awesome this place is and how many great things there are to say. I would recommend to anyone 25 plus who doesn't need to hard core party other than a couple friendly drinks at the pool bar til midnight. We met tonnes of people and enjoyed the staff and fellow Canadians!!

Thorold, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

this was my 3rd trip to a riu , and i would say that it was the best one yet. new resort clean great service,friendly and helpfull staff. previous complaints say the pools are not clean. i found them very clean and well maintained. they have a person constantly picking up your mess!! poor selection at the buffet ??? every day there is chicken, pork , beef, fish , pasta . all done two or three different ways , plus a salad bar and fresh fruit. if you cant find anything good to eat your standards must be dining out at the country club every night. take the city tour ,it is reasonable and quite informative they stop for cliff diving, the market, a fish market, and there old large cathedral. the sunset cruise was great and we were lucky enough to see a whale. yes the ocean is red flaged daily , and while we were there lots of jelly fish, i dont do ocean swimming so no big deal to me .i as in los cabos last year and could not swim either. all in all had a great trip and i would highly recomend this resort

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

This was our 4th trip to a Riu and probably liked it the least. Resort itself is stunning, rooms are very clean, staff is exceptionally friendly. I wouldn't waste my time going to the restaurants on site they weren't worth the time. Service at steak house was terrible and food wasn't good either. Asian restaurant was only open for the first two days of our trip. Staff need to learn how to speak better english. Nightly entertainment is boring and lip sinking gets a little boring after a couple of shows. Entertainment staff only involved guest in their activities that were sitting around the swim up bar pool, they never came out onto the beach area to see if others wanted to participate. Swim up bar pool is dirty as people smoke and drink in it all day long, unfortunately it was the only pool that was heated. Spa is amazing! Beach is great! Ocean view was great! Tried several times a day to get onto the internet but never could get on.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

I have to start by saying this was an amazing vacation. I have never had so much fun in my whole life. From start to finish this hotel rocked. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. I have a lot to say so bear with me on this guys. I guess like the last reviewer I will start with the bad…which wasn’t even that bad
A) Most of the food was great, but I didn’t like the Steak House. The steak was salty (for someone who doesn’t add salt to anything). My friend at dinner enjoyed the steak as he likes salt. We didn’t get any soup. But I think that was a misunderstanding because one person at our table didn’t want it, so they might have thought the whole table didn’t want it. Again not a huge deal. It didn’t wreck the vacation or anything.
B) Kids splashing around in the Swim up bar pool. Not that I don’t like kids…love them. However I don’t like pool water in my drink…especially pool water from the swim up bar pool LOL. So I had one drink at the swim up bar for the experience and didn’t drink in the pool after that. They have a bar right next to the beach and there is a guy who goes around the pool so I was never without a drink.
C) The Entertainment shows were way too short. They would have a show every night but they were only 30-45 minutes long. It seemed like a waste of space for the Theater area as they didn’t use it expect for the shows.
D) I am a huge Hockey fan. The Sports bar only has ESPN and there is no hockey played on these channels. But I was on a holiday so I didn’t expect to see any hockey at all.

Now for the positives of the Riu:

A) The Staff was amazing. They do have drinks brought to you by the pool and outside the sports bar. And the bartender at the pool, Poncho, was so amazing. He really seemed to enjoy his job. He went around making everyone laugh and he was dancing and having a great time. He would remember what you were drinking and he had no problems posing for pictures with you. He was great. The rest of the staff was just as great. Whenever you were finished eating it seemed like a bell went off and they were there to collect your plate. The front desk staff was very friendly and would help you at the drop of a hat. Plus they really seemed to enjoy watching the drunk people (me) making fools of themselves in the lobby. Heheh I said sorry while making a fool of myself and said we were a bit drunk and they told us to drink more and have fun.
B) The food was soooooo yummy (with the exception of the Steak House for me see A above in the bad section). We never went to the Mexican restaurant but the common area food and the Asian restaurant were so great. The Asian restaurant was my favorite and we ended up going twice while there. The second time we didn’t eat lunch so we would have more room for dinner. Yes it was that good.
C) The hotel was awesome. They would clean the walkways to the common areas before lunch and breakfast everyday. The lobby was immaculate. If you happened to spill or break a glass they were there to help you and clean it up. There was never the feeling that you were putting them out or anything. They didn’t even get mad if a glass had broken. “Accidents happen…Can I get you another drink?” It was just amazing. I never had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator. Maybe if there were more people in the hotel that would change but it wasn’t my experience. I got one almost right away each time.
D) The room view was amazing. I have never seen such beautiful sunsets in all my life. The pictures look like they are photoshoped. I am sure the sunrises were just as beautiful but I wasn’t up for them.
E) Mr Lionso’s. If you head to the beach and go right then walk for about 5 minutes you will come to Mr Lionso’s. You can’t miss it as it is where that section of beach ends. That place had amazing food. I am allergic to shellfish but they had other things as well. I got the grilled chicken. It was 2 full chicken breasts with rice and salad for 75 pesos. And drinks are 2 for 1 and huge. My friends had the lobster and said it was amazing.
F) I love hockey and was sad that I was going to miss the World Jr’s Gold metal game while in Mexico. I was at the pool one day in my Canucks Bikini and another guest made a comment about it and we got to talking about hockey. He told us about the Dugout. If you love sports and want to watch a game head there. They were awesome. Great food and even better atmosphere. It was filled with Canadians the night of the game and we sang O’Canada even though we lost. It was a memory for sure. They play lots of other sports as well. Just ask and I am sure they have it. Also that night a friend left a shirt she had bought that day behind at the Dugout when we left. The next day we were going shopping in town and went back just to see if they did have it. The staff was so excited to give her back her shirt and almost ran to the back to grab it for her. They couldn’t stop smiling they were so happy to return it to her.
G) I went parasailing & zip lining and I would recommend it to anyone. I was so scared before I went parasailing but as soon as I was in the air it was the most relaxing, beautiful thing I have ever done. The Parasailing guys are right at the beach and are great. They knew I was nervous and were very calming and explained everything to me. When I was coming back down they clapped for me and said I did a great job. Very professional and reassuring. And for $35 it was a great deal for a wonderful memory I will have for the rest of my life. If you are scared to do it…just do it you won’t regret it, but you will regret not doing it once you are back home. It was fun and not scary at all. Zip lining was just the same. Tons of fun and a great memory.

Overall the Riu was an amazing hotel with great staff, great food and I was so sad to leave. I almost cried at the airport. I would recommend everyone to go here. And if you do…can I go in your luggage?

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Stayed at the Riu for one week and I loved every minute of it. The check in was fast and easy ... they gave you a drink on your way in the front door and they would almost slap your hand if you wanted to take your own bag.
Ok, lets get any downsides out of the way....
1) Ocean was beautiful and fun to play in but if actual swimming is your bag youll have to do it in one of the many pools that werent close to being full to do it.
2) Swim up bar pool was a little dirty with straws and such but thats like complaining that the beach had too many shells. Duh. The place was kept imaculately clean so other than having someone posted in the pool to make sure that one of the ten thousand straws they gave out didnt end up floating by, there was nothing that could be done. People are drinking at the drink up bar... go figure. There were many other pools that were kept imaculate to go to if you werent someone who needs a beer in there hand while they snorkle.
3) Entertainment was fun most of the time but there was a few nights where it seemed kind of short which leads me to number four....
4) If your looking for nightlife, this might not be your place of choice. By eleven most nights the place seemed deserted and that just gave me courage to do stupid stuff like breakdance in the lobby and that cant be a good thing at all. The place wasnt even at half capacity so that was probably a contributing factor.

Now for the good stuff.... huge intake of breath....

1) Wow... thats all Im going to put for number one. Let your imagination fill in the rest.
2) The staff were incredibly helpful and nice every single time you talked to them be it asking for a cab at the lobby or inquiring where you left your pants. (Not a drinker and I indulged). They had people whos job it was to just walk around and ask people if they were all good... and I mean everywhere you went. I was sitting on the beach one day and was invited to the BBQ starting up a little ways away, and during our dinner at the Bamboo reseraunt, we were asked if there was anything they could do to make our evening better. One of the people we went with was a fisherman and he just asked about maybe getting a rod one day so he could wake up in the mornings and do a few casts out into the ocean...they had three for him to choose from within the hour.
3) So clean. I mean everywhere. I swear I actually saw Mr. Clean wiping stuff down and the glad guy picking up the garbage. I would stand up to get another plate of food or desert and my dirty plate would be gone by the time I got back to my seat every time. We broke a glass outside one night during an outdoor enteraintment event and I mentioned it to one guy with a walky talky and within seconds there was like a team of people sweeping and fussing. I was almost expecting them to say "Go ahead, we are here now. Break another one. Its fun!"
4) Rooms had a fantastic view but if youve been reading this site you know that. Some of the pictures I took look fake they are so beautiful.
5) Food was unreal. If you are a member of a royal family something you might not be satisfied. Reading some of these reviews ... Im truly confused as to what some people would concider good food. The Bamboo resteraunt was the best that we had but we didnt try the Tabasco place at all. The Buffets were expansive and if you didnt find at least a half dozen things that you liked then you would never be happy anywhere I would think. It made me wish I had two stomachs. (I bet if you asked them, you could get some of the staff to keep eating for you when you were stuffed.)
We took the advise of alot of reviews and went to Mr. Lionso's up the beach and we are so happy we did. Two huge lobsters with coconut breaded jumbo shrimp and rice for $20 .... really? What am I going to do with all of these Peso's? Well, we used some of them on a 'mariachi' band to play at our table.
6) Im Canadian so I was going through hockey withdrawls. At the pool one day I met someone who said that a place called the 'Dugout' in town would be playing the Canada Vs. U.S juniors game that night. Later found out that they will play any hockey game that is televised and it was the most fun I had in a long time. The place got packed and even though we lost, like 120 people started singing the Canadian Anthem in some back street in Mexico. My frosted side was showing its 'O' face. I recomend that place completely... food was fantastic and everyone was so polite.
7) Used the eleveators several times a day and only had to wait once for one and that was like thirty seconds. They were never packed as some reviews have stated.

Just some advise...

1) You are there to pamper yourself. If you get a capachino, ask for it 'for here' or they might give you a styrofoam cup.

2) If you order a cab, get the guy outside to tell the driver where you want to go.

3) Dont be scared... parasailing was easy, cheap, and the most fun you can have without doing something illegal. Same deal with the zip lining.

4) Dont EVER pay the price they have posted on anyhitng. There was a bag a friend wanted to get that had a $160 U.S sticker on it and got it for $50. We went shopping in town one day and they had a Vanvouver Canucks poncho for sale for $450 pesos. They made sure I knew I should grab it now because it was thier last one. I got it for 290 pesos and when I walked by and saw the next 'last one' they replaced the first one with, I got that one for 200 pesos.

Anyways, it was a sick amount of fun. There was always random events going on to keep you busy and if your a drinker or fan of food.. your going to end up punching yourself in the face just to make sure your not dreaming.

Would I go back?... I wouldnt have left if I didnt have to. I have alot more to say but Im doing this while daydreaming about it at work....audible sigh.

• Stayed January 2010

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!