“Very Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
New York
“Very Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I will tell you the complete truth!!!!!!!! Pro's and Con's
Pro's.......
Flying into MZE from Houston was smooth.. when we landed we had already purchased a pick up (which I recommend due to lots of people asking to take you places I wasn't to sure of) with Mazatlan Tour(http://www.mazatlantours.org)...

Its a bit of a drive toward the hotel, you will see pretty things as well as vandalism..when I arrived at the hotel all i could think was WOW!, Just beautiful..
Once the driver dropped us off when we went inside even more beautiful marble floor ..extremely high ceilings.. you felt as if you were in a palace...The service as soon as we arrived was great..greeted us very friendly... with a refreshing virgin drink.

They had our room ready(then again we got there on time 3p), when we got inside the room it was very clean..very spacious, mini bar, a safe with a combination only you know,lots of towel, TV,phone,two chairs..king bed and a wonderful balcony with a table and two chairs.. two poles to hang wet bathing suits and towels.. the view from the room was just beautiful.. we could see the pool as well as the ocean...

In the resort they have lots of restaurant that you can choose from(Mexican<Chinese<Etc)... they have Free Wifi in the Lobby area and in the Sports bar that is open 24hrs a day...and if you don't have a Laptop they also have Computers in the sports bar...

As for pools they have about 4.. A swim up bar pool with music near the beach..another for just children with slides and sprinklers, etc... very cute safe and entertaining for kids away from the Bar pool...two huge pools one for people that does not like music or allot of activities, near the other side of the beach..(calming pool to relax).. and another one where the "animacion" group would hang out for water aerobics,volleyball,etc....

As for Bars countless....Ask for a drink called "Paradise"..sooo good!!

They have Entertainment every night... One of the night I wasn't to pleased only because the called it "Vegas Night" and it was nothing like Vegas but they did try ...

Now if you get tired of eating at the resort (which we didn't but felt we should try it all) if you go on the beach make a right, keep walking you will find a local restaurant called "Mr. Lionso Restaurant".. The have great Happy hour Two for one Margaritas(strong or mild depending how you like them all kinds and flavors) food is delicious and for cheap.... For Dinner with18USD 2 plates of Lobsters with Shrimp (any way you wish to eat them,Garlic ,Coconut, whatever) with rice & veggies... and don't forget chips and salsa come with it to... they will come around with guitars and sing to you... I had great experience and staff was very friendly...

The Hotel also has a few shops..clothing and pharmacy stuff etc...

My only Con was that they did not have an ATM in the resort...we had to go into town with a taxi which only charged us 10USD but it was worth it.. we got to sight see.. we saw a few different shops, Mr.Frogs,Burger King, etc..name it....

if you like Local Spanish Clubs that play Salsa, Merengue, etc ... try "Mambo Cafe" its inside a Mall like setting....

Overall hotel stay and my entire trip was excellent!!! I recommend to ALL!!! Have fun its worth it... I thought it was under priced but I am not complaining

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
bc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

Hotel is definetely five star with incredible room view and excellent accomodations
main problem is the food is not 5 star, service to pool side vacationer lacking and too many wasps flying around the bar, entertainment and activities is less than 4 star as well. Horse back riders allowed right on the beach without anyone cleaning up what the horses leaves behind on the beach.
We got a great deal so we were happy with the 3.5 to 4 star price paid (basically we got what we paid for)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

My husband and I traveled from November 1-8 with friends, and married kids with their spouses for a combined group of twelve. Our trip started out with a bang with one of our friends falling and breaking her ankle. She was in the hospital for the first two days, then the rest of the trip in a wheelchair.

We personally have absolutely no complaints with the resort. It was at 33% capacity, so no problems with elevators, etc. Very nice pools, food was fine. If you can't find anything to eat, then there is a problem.

The shows were OK, but the actual entertainers were great. All of them came up and visited after the shows, and were extremely friendly.

Bartenders were awesome, and kept bringing drinks anytime we wanted. Juan and Ismail were awesome and could remember all our names very well. Elmer, Sharro and Alma from the entertainment staff were always coming by to visit us whenever we ran into them, whether we were eating lunch, or at the theatre. Jovan, Edgar and Julio were very very attentive when we were at the buffet. We always tip for good service, and when you do that you will be rewarded.

We made a trip one night to Mr. Lionsos, and it was very good. Had the staff turn off the overhead lights because of bugs, but after that everything was great. The meal was very reasonable and we all had plenty to drink and eat, and for a party of 10 the bill was $225.

The room was always very clean, and they kept our refrigerator stocked at all times, but we made sure everybody received a tip for good service there also. Heard complaints from people that didn't get the great service that we did, and found out they did not do any tipping at all. These people work for a very small salary, so tips are very well appreciated.

So, all in all we had a great trip.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

I stayed at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay in mazatlan last year and we chose Riu because it is a new hotel and I wanted to try out.
It was OK because since it is a new hotel, everything is new. However, because it is an all inclusive hotel, people don´t care about what they eat and drink around the pool. There were not sufficient waiters to take the dirty plates and cups. Hence I saw lots of bees in the pool area and restaurants.
There are only one place you can fetch the towels.
It was the first time all inclusive hotel experience for me, so I didn´t like that I had to go to the bars to pick up the drinks, since I was with 2 small kids.
I would choose Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay for the next stay. It is a bit more expensive, but more comfortable for the family with small kids.
The good thing about this hotel is that the price are good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
DUBLIN, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

The Riu is a beautiful hotel although it is very very massive! We stayed for three days from Friday the 16th to Monday the 19th before moving on to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay.
We had a great time mingling with the locals--it was so fun and they are such friendly and gracious people.

We never had an issue with the elevators, check in was quick and easy.

The rooms were a bit on the small side but the balcony and the bathroom is very large. The shower/tub combination is a bit high to climb over and there is also a removable shower head which was a nice feature. The water pressure was fine (for those of us gals that have long hair to wash). There are packets of shampoo, no lotion or conditioner though. The towels are OK, however the bedsheets were very scratchy! They were not comfortable even without a sunburn!

I believe the TV did not have pay per view movies, but then again we never watched TV.

There is a liquor dispenser in the room and the mini-bar is stocked every 2 days, we did have to call to get ours re-stocked.

There is no bottled water at the pool bars--the only place we found bottled water was at the Sports Bar and when they ran out they sent us to the front desk. The water in the room is not drinkable. If you ask for water at the pool bars they will give you a small plastic cup with ice and water.

There is no room service at this hotel. There are snacks in the Sports Bar but this consisted of nachos or a pre-packaged hamburger or hotdog that you could microwave. Once I saw apples in the fridge there also.

As others have commented, the food is no bueno. We found the breakfast buffet to be the best bet. They told us that the breakfast buffet went until 10:30 AM, then it would change to continental breakfast. The hot food was still out when we went in at 10:30 AM. Lunch buffet was not so good but you can grab a plate of pizza or guacamole and chips or whatever appears edible and take it poolside. My hubby tried to get a dish of ice cream one day but it was runny. We were hoping that the Asian buffet would be better, but not so much.

The pool was beautiful and the loungers have pads! Chairs were abundant--no need to have to save a chair when we were there. For those who smoke--smoking is allowed poolside and in the outdoors bars. The swim up bar area became quite crowded and a little dirty and packed with bees towards the end of the afternoon.

The shows were fun-we saw a few. We never made it to the lobby bar nor the diso.

Okay, in the end : Excellent service, food not so good, rooms a bit small, I will rate this hotel a 3.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

My family had a great experience at this Riu. The pools were amazing. At the buffets there is definitely something for everyone. The rooms were nice, although you may see moths because they always have windows open there. I highly recommend the stage shows at night. They were great entertainment

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
richmond va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

My wife and I went to the Riu Emerald bay Oct 11 through the 16 . The place was Fantistic . The staff was great . The view from our room was wonderful and the balconys are huge we had a standard room and the balcony was 10 feet deep and 14 feet wide plus there is a 10 ft wall between the balcony you never see your nieghbor . The pools were great very warm The ocean was rough you could go in up to your knees bad rip tides . the swim up bar did have some bee problems but nothing to keep you from going back to it. The hotel had to be only 10 to 15% ull it was like having the place to yourself also your rooms are very sound proof couldnt here anything outside in the hallways . The ood was good we didnt go to the sit down restaurants we work in the restaurant business so we like going to the buffet . But you must walk up to the restaurant up the beach AWESOME get the Lobster and shrimp combo about $16 american its a $80 american in the states . The sports bar was nice . I you ever need anything ask the front desk theyu will help you one night about 11 we noticed we didnt have any wash cloths I went down to the front desk and ask for some and they said we will send some up with in 10 min they brought them and extra towels also I would like to say thank you to Erica in the office there if you need something ask or her she is Fantastic and does her job well I hope her boss knows how hard she works . This was the most relaxing vacation i have been on I have been to 1 other RIU and loved it there also and will return to Emerald Bay and to other RIU what a Great Chain. any question feel free to email me. Go enjoy you will love it

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!