“Riu Emerald Bay Mazatlan - Apr 4-18/14” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Black Fri-Cyber Mon SALE
Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary, Alberta
“Riu Emerald Bay Mazatlan - Apr 4-18/14”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Perfect weather. Very clean hotel. Rooms good and all with ocean view. Friendly service. Food plentiful and lots of selection - not all dishes to our taste but always found something fresh and good to eat. A la carte restaurants not great; preferred the buffet. Always surprised to see people eating the hotdogs and hamburgers put out in the late afternoon. Wine horrible and no selection; went into town to get our own. Very surprising since this is supposed to be a 5* hotel. Coffee also horrible; went offsite for coffee. Some people complain about "locals" being at the hotel: Hello - this is their country, what do you expect? Mexican families we saw were warm, close-knit, well-behaved, polite. Bigger problem I would point out are drunken Canadian males 25+, being obnoxious, or tourists butting out on the pool deck. Did not prefer this beach to any we have been to previously in Mexico - definitely would return to the Mayan Riviera instead. Water not enjoyable for us - too cool, too rough. Beach is good for walking, though. Pools seemed to be well maintained and there were always 2 paramedics on standby. Preferred part of the resort farthest away from pool bar area, as they blare techno-disco "music" with loud bass; no melody, no lyrics - just a bunch of noise and very unrelaxing to be exposed to it. Hotel had a huge influx of local families just as we were leaving as it was school break week and Holy Week, so we were glad to be leaving as it became very difficult to get an elevator when the hotel became so crowded. We were on the side where pool bar and theatre are located, so getting a good night's sleep not ideal - ask for a room farthest away if this is important to you (wish we had).

Room Tip: Ask for a room farthest away from the pool bar and theatre location, for more peace. Elevators can...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
new sarepta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Riu from April 11th to 18th absolutely loved
It. The food was good but a bit repetitive the drinks were good and the staff was amazing. The only complaint
I would have would be that the beds are hard but other than that everything was great! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed from March 25th,2014 til April 1st,2014. I would like to agree with the reviews of this resort. The resort is super clean, the food is great,the service is excellent. I stayed at Riu resorts before and this resort didn't disappoint. I would like to thank the staff for making our stay wonderful. We took couple of trips. Trip to the deer island was great and the crew were wonderful.The night trip to city was excellent and the food was good and the guide tour operators were friendly and helpful. We even manage to watch couple Leafs games at the sports bar nearby (with bad outcome for our beloved Leafs).
I find the location and city of Mazatlan wonderful.The weather is just incredible. I could see myself living in this area when I retire.
I would defiantly go back to this resort and already recommended it to my family and friends.
Dont forget to visit Mr. Lionso Playa Bruja restaurant on the beach.

Room Tip: the room was chosen for us from the hotel.we stayed at 3rd floor.we wanted to change the room with h...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
peterbrough ontario can.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Just got back from the Riu Emerald bay. This was our 4th time to this resort and will difinitley go back again! The food was excellent. Weather was perfect. The maid cleaned constantly. Paco and David in the lobby bar were the best bar tenders I have ever seen. I am not sure why anyone would be hungry at this resort. The selection on for lunch and dinner was amazing. Do not listen to the bad reviews. Their is everything from roast beef, chicken, pork, ribs, mashed potaotoes etc.. the buffet was huge. There were some mexican families at the resort with small children. If you did not want to listen to them you could go to the front of the hotel near the beach and all is quiet.. If you want to go to an resort with no kids, I suggest you book an all adult resort. I have travelled a lot in Mexico and this resort is the best ever.. Dont listen to the bad reviews!!! This resort is Great!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

For the most part I had a good vacation. Food was good but a bit salty. I do have to say that the staff was excellent! Friendly, catered to your needs and helpful. Elevators are not the greatest but was not a huge deal. On the negative side, I found that the hotel is a bit tucked away so there was a bit of traveling to enjoy the nightlife. I did have to make complaints about other guests who were locals or individuals who are not use to seeing persons of different ethnicities.. If you are a person of African American, Afro-Canadian, African etc. beware of local hotel guests taking candid pictures of you (fully clothed, bikini etc.) with or without your consent. But all in all good hotel.

Room Tip: It's nice to get a oceanview room on a higher level but the elevators are not the greatest so ha...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This was my 2nd trip to this resort and not my last.My wife and I love this resort, the place is cleaned constantly and the staff are all great.From David who greets you at the door to Sylvia who cooks the best omelet grande, to the maids who are very friendly and make towel dudes too, to Estaban who serves a wicked drink, to Daniel and Moises and Rapheal who served us our meals with so much fun and quickness, to the great entertainment fellow Pancho... thanks to you all.
The Sunwing flight was great and the reps johnny and Juan were top notch and very helpful in getting my wife to go ziplining with me ....thanks johnny.
As for the weekends being busy ,its true but it is not over crowded feeling
Over all i highly recommend this resort great food every night too, great drinks too.

Room Tip: dont purchase the ocean view , all rooms face the ocean lol
Wasaga Beach Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

1st let me explain that I had reservations about this trip after listening to or reading about the location of the hotel and the local area -- I am glad that I made the decision to visit.
We travelled on the first of April till the 15th. The weather was perfect, the accomodations were first class and before we go any further -- the was by far the cleanest hotel we have ever visited.There were always cleaners in the lobby in the buffets or around the resort
picking up sweeping or mopping -- I was impressed and heard comments raving about the "clean".
The buffet was adequate, the A La Cartes were more buffet style but adequate and the food most times was OK.
The workers at the resort make the trip worthwhile -- they smile and do their jobs with perfection and they are always polite.
Kudos to the buffet staff -- they outdo themselves everyday.
Outside the resort be sure to try the "down the beach" options -- Mr Lionso's is a great plce to try local shrimp and lobster along with a Pacifico or two.
Roy's is a great place for steak or ribs and finally the Last drop can make an afternoon a wobbly adventure.
Cabs will take adventurers downtown or if you feel like \Indiana Jones try a local bus and really let your hair down.
However, plan to visit at times when local holidays are not underway, that's when too many try to do too much all at once
We would and we plan to visit again this year in late November. It was worth the money and the time
Thankyou to all at the resort for making our trip so wonderful.

Wayne and Joanne

Room Tip: Everyone gets an Ocean view room so it doesn't matter where your room is
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!