“Oh... the guests...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Toronto, Canada
“Oh... the guests...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

For the most part I had a good vacation. Food was good but a bit salty. I do have to say that the staff was excellent! Friendly, catered to your needs and helpful. Elevators are not the greatest but was not a huge deal. On the negative side, I found that the hotel is a bit tucked away so there was a bit of traveling to enjoy the nightlife. I did have to make complaints about other guests who were locals or individuals who are not use to seeing persons of different ethnicities.. If you are a person of African American, Afro-Canadian, African etc. beware of local hotel guests taking candid pictures of you (fully clothed, bikini etc.) with or without your consent. But all in all good hotel.

Room Tip: It's nice to get a oceanview room on a higher level but the elevators are not the greatest so ha...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This was my 2nd trip to this resort and not my last.My wife and I love this resort, the place is cleaned constantly and the staff are all great.From David who greets you at the door to Sylvia who cooks the best omelet grande, to the maids who are very friendly and make towel dudes too, to Estaban who serves a wicked drink, to Daniel and Moises and Rapheal who served us our meals with so much fun and quickness, to the great entertainment fellow Pancho... thanks to you all.
The Sunwing flight was great and the reps johnny and Juan were top notch and very helpful in getting my wife to go ziplining with me ....thanks johnny.
As for the weekends being busy ,its true but it is not over crowded feeling
Over all i highly recommend this resort great food every night too, great drinks too.

Room Tip: dont purchase the ocean view , all rooms face the ocean lol
Wasaga Beach Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

1st let me explain that I had reservations about this trip after listening to or reading about the location of the hotel and the local area -- I am glad that I made the decision to visit.
We travelled on the first of April till the 15th. The weather was perfect, the accomodations were first class and before we go any further -- the was by far the cleanest hotel we have ever visited.There were always cleaners in the lobby in the buffets or around the resort
picking up sweeping or mopping -- I was impressed and heard comments raving about the "clean".
The buffet was adequate, the A La Cartes were more buffet style but adequate and the food most times was OK.
The workers at the resort make the trip worthwhile -- they smile and do their jobs with perfection and they are always polite.
Kudos to the buffet staff -- they outdo themselves everyday.
Outside the resort be sure to try the "down the beach" options -- Mr Lionso's is a great plce to try local shrimp and lobster along with a Pacifico or two.
Roy's is a great place for steak or ribs and finally the Last drop can make an afternoon a wobbly adventure.
Cabs will take adventurers downtown or if you feel like \Indiana Jones try a local bus and really let your hair down.
However, plan to visit at times when local holidays are not underway, that's when too many try to do too much all at once
We would and we plan to visit again this year in late November. It was worth the money and the time
Thankyou to all at the resort for making our trip so wonderful.

Wayne and Joanne

Room Tip: Everyone gets an Ocean view room so it doesn't matter where your room is
toronto ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My husband and I just returned from the Riu (April 8-15th) and we were a little disappointed. We read the reviews and thought that this would be the best all-inclusive resort ever and this was not the case. If we had spent over 1100 a person we would have been really upset but because we got a really good price we were fine. Our biggest problem was the amount of children at this resort. There was tons of Mexicans at this resort which is fine, but the issue is that it wasn't families of four. It was families of 20 and as you can imagine a family of 20 can make a lot of noise, multiply the families you get more noise. There was no such thing as a quiet pool. If you wanted quiet like we did you were far away from any pool and you could still hear kids laughing/screaming. The buffet and elevators were packed from Friday - Tuesday with line-ups which didn't matter to the Mexicans who just forced their ways to the front of the lines which is so frustrating when you have been waiting for 5-10 min. I am not sure why people are raving about the food as it was mediocre. Anything that I liked was never available the next day. If you can survive like my husband off of hamburgers, hotdogs and french fries you will be fine. But I spent most lunch’s eating french fries. Lastly the beds are awful! Now onto the good things, service at this resort was amazing, and the resort is very clean. The views from our room were awesome. Drinks are not watered down and if you want brand name liquor just ask for it. Mr. Lionso's which is down the beach is a life saver. Delicious food, beer, wine, and tequila for so cheap! All in all - If you dont care about lining up, loud children and just OK food then this is the place for you. There were many people we talked to who said they would come back to this resort in a heartbeat, we are just not them.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor. This is a good level as the view was nice but we could still walk up and d...
Blind River
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

The beach is nothing short of amazing. I am not a beach bum by any means but this beach has changed my mind. Water is wonderful. Waves are great! Hotel is super clean and the only compliant would be the elevators. They are slow and they shake like crazy. Food was good. All in all a good stay and good value.

• Stayed April 2014
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We returned on Friday April 11th from a 1 week stay. We travelled with a group of friends so there were 9 of us altogether with 2 children around 10 yrs old. This was absolutely the most relaxing vacation I've ever taken.
I was slightly hesitant before we left due to some of the reviews I had read so I would like to state the following right now: Yes tips are welcome but at no point did I feel like "Everyone had their hand out". Yes sometimes the elevators are a little slow but at no point did I wait more than 5 minutes and since I was on vacation I was in no hurry. Yes the food is all buffet style but it's the most delicious buffet of your life!
The hotel is clean, the room was spacious (we had a family room - so a king size bed and a double bed), the balcony provided a great view. The service was amazing across the board. Please go find Edgar in the morning and lunch buffet. He was pleasant and sweet and only looked slightly horrified at my hungover state on the 3rd day. ;)
The kids club was great. My son only went for 2 of the 7 days we were there but it provided a nice respite from the heat and he did a couple of fun crafts.
The entertainment was...entertaining. Don't expect broadway shows but go and have fun and enjoy it for what it is. I am pretty sure the female medic also played the lead role in mamma mia. THAT is serious dedication.
We did do an excursion to Deer Island (or Stone Island? I forget!). It was also relaxing and the bar service on the boat was great, as was the meal on the beach. If you go, remember that there are no loungers but there is shade. If you want to lay out I suggest you bring a towel.
We also went to Mr Leonsis for a group dinner (no kids). It was an amazing meal. The food did take a bit to get there but it was well worth the wait. Steak, shrimp and lobster for 2 along with drinks and tip came to $60. You literally cannot find a better deal than that. Super great service and friendly staff and an incredibly enjoyable experience. Thanks to the musician for letting me hijack his microphone!
We will be back, perhaps next time just as a couple.
OH! and every single guest we met at the hotel was lovely. I can't believe that much awesome fit into one resort at the same time.
Best. Vacation. EVER!
All in all, it was just a great vacation.

Room Tip: From what I could see, all of the rooms were great. We were on the 11th floor with an amazing view...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Mazatlan has to have one of the world’s best beaches – long, clean, and picturesque. The RIU is certainly worth 4 stars – an unbelievably clean property (rarely did I visit the Men's washroom when there wasn't a young lady in there scrubbing away - a bit unnerving at first but you get used to it). The service is bend-over-backwards friendly from the front door staff to the dining rooms to the guy who pushes a bar cart around the pools to mix you a drink so you don't have to leave your lounge chair and walk the 50 paces to the poolside bar! (Hint - the poolside bar pours cheap gin; the push cart guy had Beefeater.)

All this said, the Riu is not worthy of the full 5 stars they claim. They suffer from same problem cruise ships have – not being able to differentiate their food enough, so that after the first week most meals, however varied, taste the same. Far worse is that the hotel is 65-70% occupied during the week (hooray – great service, lots of room on the pool decks and the beach) but unfortunately they offer cheap weekend packages to locals who (I’ll swear) lodge 6-7 kids in a room and play soccer in the halls. Weekends are noisy and so jam-packed that there are food shortages and 20 minute waits for elevators. Hygiene drops to scary levels – e.g. DO NOT use the pools on the weekend. In fact, on both weekends we were there the hotel RAN OUT of hot water for showering – literally you turned on the hot tap and NOTHING came out! The good news is that they work like devils to recover, so that by Monday morning everything is working again and peaceful. But still……

Room Tip: We stayed in a 'Honeymoon Suite' (15th floor), which was not really a suite but did have qui...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!