“Be Warned!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Grand Sale!
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Vancouver, Canada
“Be Warned!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Before we went I read all the reviews, now I know what they are saying. The hotel itself is OK, it is clean and the rooms are nice but....I would never stay in another resort with 21 floors. The elevators are a pain. I like the 2, 3 or 4 storey Mexican resorts. The food is only OK, the al la carte restaurants are terrible, not worth going to. The buffet is good but we sure got tired of eating at the buffet. This resort caters to the local Mexican clients, they arrive by the bus load and take over the whole hotel. I love Mexican people but they are not great to vacation with. they are loud, they have many children (with no rules) and they leave their messes everywhere.
We couldn't even use the swim up bar because the children were in there peeing (the water looked like a cesspool) people smoke in the swim up bar and butts are floating in it. Not pleasant. at all. The staff are wonderful. We made the best of the situation, had a good time but we would never stay in this hotel again. It could have been so much better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Everything was great here. Wonderful design of new resort - all rooms have an ocean view! The beach is great, clear sandy and smooth. The food is deeeelicious at the buffets and the a la carte dining is superb! The hotel staff is friendly and make every effort to please the guests. The place is whistle clean and maintenance is high level. If you're planning a trip to Mazatlan... head for the RIU Emeral Bay. You'll be glad you did. ENJOY!

Room Tip: No difficulty here. The hotel is designed in such a way as to have every room have an ocean view. Yo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We took our construction company to the Riu last November and overall it was great! We were an assortment of families with little kids, families with big kids, couples, and singles and it seemed there was something for everyone.
Reading some of the other reviews, I wonder where they were, because I thought the food was GREAT! Probably the best all-inclusive buffets I've experience thus far. My kids LOVED the kids' shows at night and the adult shows I stuck around for were pretty good too. The pools were warm enough to keep the kidlets busy for hours. Once in a while the bars got a little backlogged, but c'est la vie. They were doing their best. The beach was fantastic for my young kids. Perfect for boogie boarding and you could walk for miles and miles.
Resort drawbacks, if I'm being picky, were:
I prefer the lowrise-type resorts, and I found the Riu to be a little monstrous. Our crew took up the entire 15th floor, which while the view was amazing, you couldn't easily run up and down the stairs. Lazy, I know. Also, from the beach, it was quite a hike to the closest bathroom, which led to the odd emergency with a two-year old and four year-old making a run for it.
It was my first time to Mazatlan and I absolutely loved it! What an amazing place. We walked around the city for hours. The resort is a little far from downtown, but it was a relatively inexpensive cab ride.
We're actually going back this November with family. Definitely worth checking out.

Room Tip: Gorgeous view from the 15th floor, but I'm aiming for ground level this time with the little kid...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was at there at the end of January 2013, it was my second time at the resort and my boyfriend's first. It was actually his first time being at an all inclusive. Where to start, the food is similar everyday but very tasty and you always find something new as there is so much variety. We both love Mexican tacos and food so we were in luck as everyday there was a taco bar. He is allergic to shell fish so we had to watch for that but still could find plenty. The water is a bit too rough for me, I enjoyed the water when we went on an excursion to Stone Island but at the resort it is a bit rough. The restaurants down the beach are amazing and a must stop. Would I go a third time... in a heart beat.

Room Tip: They are all ocean view but ask for a higher room. Also take your own mugs/ glasses with screw on to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

A group of us stayed the the Riu Emerald Bay back in April. The pro's were: Well kept grounds, nice pool with an awesome swim up bar. The beach was also impressive. The con's would be: Food was average at best. The A la carte's were disappointing and the main buffet was always the same. We stayed in a Jr.sutie oceanview and it wasn't any major upgrade from the regular Deluxe room. Overall it was decent, but I think there are better options out there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This ia a followup of my review of the Riu Mazatlan,I am amazed what the reasons are that peole write a bad review of this and other Hotel/resorts,for example there isn't enough wifi time if 90 min isn't long enough buy more or stay home,That there wasn't any bottled water,for the Riu in Mazatlan simply a lie there was plenty of it and you could ask for more without any problems,There where 2 pools and one lady complained she had to get out of the one pool to get to the swim-up bar,Really that is a negative??? get real,One guy complained because a family member who live's in Mazatlan had to pay 50 bucks for the day for all the food and drinks,Where in the world can you go and have breakfast lunch and dinner and drink all day for 50 bucks,give your head a shake buddy.
These are some of the ridiculous complains that you read in the reviews please people disregard those reviews,these are people that cannot be pleased no matter what.

Room Tip: if you want a excelent view take the higer rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Mazatlan, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I have many friends and family living in Mazatlán. While staying at the RIU I invite a family member to come visit me at the hotel. We were told that the family member, any visitor, needed to pay a $50.00 US day use fee and they could not stay on the premises past 5. How wrong is that. Will never stay here again.
No food service at the pool either. Buffet dinners are the norm here. They were OK but not for the price. Can not and will not ever recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed October 2013

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!