“Stayed at the Riu in June...going back in November!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Alhambra, California
“Stayed at the Riu in June...going back in November!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We went early in June and got a good deal, $695 for 5 days, 4 nights, incl. airfare. Taxi ride to hotel is about 35 minutes through a "poor" part of town, but what major city doesn't have it's bad areas? Check-in at the hotel was quick. Room was nice/clean. View was spectacular....10th floor. Slept with the sliding glass door open every night. Food was plentiful and some dishes were pretty fantastic actually. We always ate dinner late (after 9pm) and there would still be a good variety of things to eat. Wait staff was super friendly. The "sports bar" is weak...don't bother.The beach is beautiful and peaceful at night and we always felt safe on the property. Watch out for jelly fish! I got stung and spent a few hours in pain.The pools were cleaned every morning and so was the beach. The hotel was a lil crowded with the "locals", but what do you expect? It's like going to Disneyland and being surprised to see "locals". The ride into the city on the pulmonias (golf cart like taxis) is a must do! About a 20min ride. The people are friendly and the area felt safe. We walked around for miles without feeling like we had to watch our backs....even through local neighborhoods. Went on a city tour which was a lil "boring", but definitely a good way to get your feel around town. Our only complaint, the rooms have paper thin walls. A much younger crowd arrived on Friday night for the weekend and it was like being stuck with kids on spring break. Luckily we left Saturday. Overall, we had a really wonderful time for the price we paid. So much so, we're returning in November!

Room Tip: its true....all rooms face the ocean
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Metz, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had one of the worst all inclusive vacations last week in this hotel.

For a 4.4 stars hotel (as described by their own website) and price per night, I would expect the highest of quality service.

The service is awful!! Reception, restaurant waiters, security, most bartenders, i could just keep on going... They are rude, careless and will only take care of you and talk to you respectfully if you offer them a tip before. For me this is not acceptable from any hotel, nevertheless an all inclusive!!

The pool was really disgusting!! It was always full of bugs, lots of them! The filters were not working, we could see almost all of them were missing the control door. There was no one cleaning the pool by hand. The whole hotel had a bad mop smell constantly, restrooms where a nightmare...

No one around the pool picking up dirty dinnerware, we literally saw dirty plates standing next to the pool for almost a full day.

The elevators are a biggggg problem, seriously!! We waited for 15min a lift and ended up taking the stairs. This is unacceptable for a +12 floors building!!! Imagine the drama to take the luggage back down at check out time...

Food is horrible. It never changes, it's greasy, salty, some of the dishes are just gross. They have almost no labeling on the buffet, so you just kind of guess what the dish it's supposed to be. Remember the mop smell around the hotel? Well, you get it in your fountain drinks too!!

The reservation restaurants are just the same buffet with less options. None of them interesting or tasteful at all.

At the bar, the alcohol is a generic brand. I asked for a vodka shot to mix myself, saw the bartender pour it from a Smirnoff bottle and for some strange reason... it was a cheap tequila! So my big guess is they refill their bottles with whatever cheap brand of alcohol they buy.

Ohhh but the big surprise was the last day we where checking out... The hotel had an inspection that day and magically the pool was clean, the service was keeping everything in order (still rude btw) and they prepared some decent food.

The sound isolation in hotel rooms is usually not good as a general rule, but here they sent workers to fix stuff with major power tools at 9am, keep that in mind...

I could just keep on saying all of the unacceptable stuff that we saw and experienced, but I have to admit we did read some reviews in this web page about people experiencing the same. So I guess the lesson is... "believe what people say, because it's true..."

We just had a trip to Playa del Carmen a month ago and stayed at a 3.5 star all-inclusive hotel (same price). Believe me when I say by just comparing the service, I would give the Riu 1 star.

Never planing to choose any Riu hotel again!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The RIU is a great no pressure hotel that does NOT pressure sell or promote timeshare which is nice. From the time you arrive you will be bombarded by shyksters trying to sell time share. They are quick and lure people even before leaving the airport. It's too bad because this part of Mexico is trying to clean up the problem with crime and from what I saw the police and federal military is very evident.
Food at the hotel is great. The tobasco restaurant is by far the best but extremely hard to get reservations so go directly to the matre de during the day and ask. The buffet is great. Service food cleanliness its great. The chef will ask you personally at almost every visit. We had a great server and its a shame I can't remember his name. He was young and extremely attentive to detail. Great English and could give advice on anything in hotel and surrounding area. The bars are great.
The only complaint about the hotel is that there is no adult only area and it gets crazy busy with kids running screaming splashing and just being kids. There is a kids area at the hotel and there should be an adults only area
One word of caution is beware the jewelry shops. Don't go to the stores called The Real Mc Coy and silver Ring. They are scammers to the greatest degree and will lie about every part of the items they sell and will not stand behind there product or promises. Most of the stores are co owned and all play the same game to get your money. The only honest store I found was Rubio jewelery He is the only true gemologist and although he seems a little expensive at first you will soon se
e that the product he says you are getting is actually the quality size and colours that the jewelry actually is. So be ware be very ware. Even the tour reps that work for sunwing get kickbacks to send you to the jewelry shop they work at in the off season.
We had beautiful pictures taken on the beach at sunset and although I know they turned out great the photo desk was too busy to help or closed. Too bad as I would have purchased some for sure.
The beach venders are eager to sell the average souvenirs to you and have beautiful blankets for 40 for a king size if you are savvy enough. There is a man named Candy who speaks some English and is honest if you ask for him everyone knows him.there is a guy who sells fishing charters for deep sea fishing for about 350 for 8 hours including beer lunch tackle transportation, and fishing license. Make sure It's included.He wears a white captains hat and acts a little like Gilligan off Gilligan's island. Quite entertaining to say the least.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone family, singles and couples. Just keep in mind the people are fighting each other for your dollar as tourism is down 50% , and if you can use that to your advantage you will have the time of your life

• Stayed March 2013
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a relatively new hotel. Spotlessly clean, in beautiful, safe surroundings. I would definitely return here for another holiday. Very reasonably priced, and good value for $. I stayed on the 5th floor with a spectacular ocean view. I like the fact that they have 2 main pool areas. One is lively and upbeat; the other quiet and more relaxing. The beach area is very nice, though I found there were too many vendors on the beach. Yes, they stay behind a barrier, but there are so many, they block the view of the ocean, which is why I was there. My daughter and I are both vegetarians and we found the food choices to be quite good, though I thought the Riu Caribe in Cancun did seem to have a larger selection to choose from. All the staff were very nice, although we did have one negative experience at the Mexican a la carte restaurant, where the maitre d was unnecessarily rude because we were 5-10 minutes late for our sitting. He could have rescheduled us politely if it was such an inconvenience; instead, he allowed us to enter begrudgingly. We basically thought about it for a minute or two, then left for the buffet. I did inform management, in writing, but received no response. As I said, I would definitely return, but after that I would not if I encountered any more rude staff at this hotel.

Room Tip: We enjoyed relaxing on our balcony on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Beautifully appointed building, but with the all-inclusive, you get what you pay for. Positives include a very nice building, which is kept quite clean. Negatives, however, are a longer list! There were too many people everywhere - waiting for elevators, food, drinks, check in, etc. The elevator situation was quite ridiculous. But it was relatively cheap!

• Stayed August 2013
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

For the $800 all taxes ect in price we paid from toronto, this rates as one of the best vacation bargains I have had the pleasure of finding. it is a 5 star, but barely, esp for mexico. the place is new and beautiful, staff was perfect, food and drink were great. the beach is a little rough, but the sand is decent for the pacific side of central america.
where you can go wrong here is if you go at a time when lots of locals flood this place. food quality, service go down hill, and there are crowds everywhere for everything. the tons of misbehaved kids will make you think of doing terrible things... this seems to happen from april to october. I would avoid at these months. it is just too over crowded, and too pushy and loud. it maybe a cultural thing but def not what we are used to at a resort, let alone a 5 star.

beds were ok, but not 5 star. however you can ask for a mattress pad and this makes it bearable

Room Tip: its a tall hotel, so the higher up you go the better the view. but you will also find yourself depen...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

So we arrived in mexico at 930 am, headed to hotel. they checked us in on the BUS!! which was great. We were worried that our rooms were not gonna be ready...But everything was ready for us!!! amaaazing :)

we grabbed our envelope and headed to our room....all rooms here have ocean view(awesome)

the pools are beautiful clean (except for the bar) too many drinkers not enough people going to bathrooms :/

food was GREAT!! they did not have a lot of variety You must check out Mr liosos just a short walk down the beach, Food sooo good!!

Service is great here, you ask for something and they are very quick at servicing you. Rooms are kept very clean, def no complaints on that.

night life was not that great, hotel is def for an older crowd, on the wknds the locals come in for a short vacay didn't bother me, but saw frustration on others.

in all I def think it is worth going to this resort!!!

til next time Mazatlan

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!