“Will choose a resort with a water purification system next time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary, Canada
“Will choose a resort with a water purification system next time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Pros:

-friendly staff, great with kids
-clean!!! Restaurants, facilities, pools, gardens, rooms, bathrooms
-Rooms were quiet
-wide assortment of food available
-free Wifi in lobby
-kids pool area with slides for 1-9 year olds mostly
-quiet rooms, everyone with an ocean view (don't need to pay for an upgrade)
-balcony area handy for drying wet clothes
-pool side drink service at pools without the bar
-other than your room, everything else you need at the hotel is within close proximity on ground levels

Cons:

-not on a purified water system like some of the other Mexican resort towns- BIG negative vs. e.g.: Riu Santa Fe in Los Cabos (hello traveller's diarrhea!)
-two beds= two double pushed together, so someone is sleeping in the center joint. Makes it a bit awkward. Nice if it were two queen beds, separated. We might as well have gotten one King bed for our family of four, so no one would have woken up wedged in the crack! LOL!
-Beady-eyed black birds squawking all day long poolside & swooping at you and your food near pool areas and open air restaurant areas. They have nets to try to keep them out of the table areas, but they get in anyhow.
-hand soap provided smelled SO bad- bring a bar
-elevators. Ugh. Two sets of three, serving 22 floors. Line ups, long waits, angry lines of people, crowded & full at peak times, doors slam shut on people (don't have a safety recoil feature if you try to put your arm in to stop the door from closing). Can't take the stairs when you're on the 17th floor and have a stroller! Advice: ask for a floor you can walk up to and use the stairs instead of the elevator!!
-wifi is only for 90 mins a day per device, beginning from the time you log on, regardless of whether you spend 90 mins on it, or 5. Bit of a pain if you are used to checking your email several times a day. Now you can't.
-Resort is far from the airport and city, so $$ to travel by taxi there often.

Got a great deal on this all-inclusive trip with Sunwing, but I wouldn't go back because of the lack of purified water at the resort. I've never gotten sick in Puerta Vallarta or Los Cabos, but BOY did we get sick here, even when being careful to use bottled water for everything. We still got a tan, but would rather tan somewhere I won't spend so much time in the bathroom next time. Also a local guest told me that Sinaloa is the second most dangerous province in all of Mexico.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor that you can easily walk up to using the stairs to avoid the elevator nigh...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Bowmanville, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Don't believe the negative reviews are wrong!

Travelled, two 50 year old moms and one 21 year old daughter.

I've never gone on a vacation and felt so safe, comfortable and relaxed. I've read Mazatlan is dangerous, there are drugs etc, but its the total opposite. Everyone is so friendly and its extremely safe to leave the resort. We left multiple times and went into town by the local bus. Lots of locals speak fluent English. They aren't pushy for you to purchase, you say no and they will leave you alone!

Now to categorize the trip...

LOBBY/CHECK IN:
- Easy as ever, the Sunwing rep already has you checked in, you get off the bus, they have drinks ready and wrist bands are already put on you while on the bus and then you go grab your keys which are all set out for the guests and straight to the room! No waiting, no hassle. VERY ORGANIZED.

ROOMS:
- Very clean, and every room has an ocean view, we were on the 3rd floor so never took the elevator but still had a beautiful view of the ocean. Staff were friendly and the one day we asked for extra face cloths, the front desk called 10 minutes after to make sure we received them. They are on top of things! Rooms cleaned daily, like any other resort.
- AC works well!
- we slept with the door wide open some nights, no bugs and loved to hear the ocean roaring!

MAIN BUFFET:
- Always something to eat. They have a general menu of what will be served every night posted out front. The food was amazing. My daughter is extremely gluten intolerant and she didn't have a single issue. She loved the food. I can understand if you go for two weeks, you would get sick of eating in the same place every night but the food is great. We enjoyed every meal.
- Favourite waiter Daniel was always greeting us/other guests with a smile. He remembered our names and the drinks we always ordered at dinner and lunch. He was very positive and alway making sure our needs were met!
- Another awesome waiter which we never could say his first name but his last name was Santos, he was the best in the breakfast buffet! He was quick an efficient to find us a table and have our coffees poured!
The staff in the main buffet were great!

A la carte (Asian):
- awesome food, good variety, it is a buffet setting
- staff was slow, although the food was great, the main buffet staff make dinner more enjoyable

A la carte (Italian):
- awesome food as well, and a buffet setting (probably the best a la carte there)

Never went to the Mexican one as we loved the normal buffet so much we skipped our reservation!

BARS:
- Pool bar always had good service and good drinks!
- We went to the Lobby bar every night at 5pm for our afternoon martini's made by Jorge or Felipe. Always friendly, would customize drinks to how ever you wanted them. Awesome bartenders! Jorge even made a special martini for mothers day!

SPORTS BARS: The lady working in the mornings was great, she remembered our order from the second day (we went everyday after breakfast for our specialty coffees) They have sandwiches, muffins, pizza and nachos in there 24 hours.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

GO TO TOWN!
- bus cost 8 pesos (80 cents) each way. Takes you to the Gold Zone, which is main shopping (just ask your rep) and he'll give you a map.

- We ate at Los Ponchos, right on the beach and it was beautiful! Amazing fresh shrimp and great drinks. Beautiful view. Highly recommended if your interested in eating off the resort. Not expensive either.

- SILVER, every says go to The Real McCoy, we went and purchased some nice jewellery, rings earrings. Very nice there. DONT GO TO THE BIG SOUVENIR SHOP BESIDE (right side), they are jerks.

- Souvenirs, go to Michael Gallery, they have price tags and don't make up prices on the spot, and they have beautiful dishes. The lady even gave us 30% off, and we didn't even try to barter with her.

EXCURSIONS:
- Deer Island was beautiful! 1 hour ride on the catamaran and then banana boat rides, kayaking, snorkelling and lunch! then a 30 mins catamaran ride back to the Marina. 52$, but it was worth it. Free drinks serves instantly on the boat (always water bottles available too!) Everything was very well organized!

BEACH:
- The RIU is the only big resort on the beach, you can walk for ever!
- the beach was never packed, we always found chairs
- BEACH BAR SERVICE!! awesome
- life guards on duty
- HOLY BEAUTIFUL. Nicest beach ever, huge, hot sand around noon though. Super clean. Fun waves for jumping in, First couple days, the under tow was strong but later in the week it was fun and we were enjoying the ocean! Spent more time on the beach then the pool.
- horseback riding on the beach 10$ a person, if you barter you could probably get it cheaper!

POOLS:
-Big and clean! (other then the swim up bar pool....but we stuck to the other pools)

MARKETS:
- Looney Bean coffee shop
- Must try the Coconuts from the huts across the street. Fresh! 20-30 pesos

LOCALS:
- the hotel was busy, and there was locals, but why complain about that? That is like being in Florida and saying there is too many Americans at your hotel. Makes no sense. Everyone is friendly.
If you don't want to be around Mexicans, don't go to Mexico.

OVERALL:
- HIGHLY recommended. We have been to many resorts before, but this one we will be going back within this next year. It was the perfect vacation. To sum it up. It was a clean, positive atmosphere, welcoming, safe, and relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: no such things as a bad room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

First off lets begin with the good. The resort itself is beautiful, lots of beach chairs, lots of pool chairs. The place is spotless, and the staff are amazing and friendly and very hard working. Hats off to Pedro, Jorge, Tomas, and Felipe, they made my day each and every day. My bar fridge was always stocked, and that was a good thing because I relied on bottled pop and water!

Now for the bad....if you rate your establishment as a 5 star, then you should provide 5 star food and beverages. While there is plenty of food, the food is sub par. Breakfast was good, lunch and dinner, the same everyday. The a la cartes are not, they are just another buffet. The liquor is the cheapest that they could buy and it tasted that way, the wine absolutely disgusting, coffee, if you can call it that, was just colored water. The beds are so very hard and not very comfortable. I have nothing against children, but they were every where. Why could they not have an adult area, and enforce the no children rule for the adult area.

If you can get this resort on the cheap then I would suggest going there, but be prepared to go to mega or walmart and buy your favorite alcohol and keep it in your room. 10 minute walk at the end of the beach are some fabulous restaurants and I would suggest eating there or at some of the establishments in the golden zone. We had our best meal at Roys!! But if the price difference is within $100 go to a better hotel and really enjoy the all inclusive experience. Would I go back only if it was dirt cheap, because I would have to eat all my dinners elsewhere.

We stayed at Riu Vallarta a while back, and their food and drink were much better than Emerald Bay. So I hope that the Riu realize that they will lose business by cheaping out!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I went to the Riu Emerald Bay with my wife and two daughters 21&15. My review may have been different had we not gone for Easter. Are you aware that it is the biggest holiday in Mexico followed immediately by a school break and the following weekend is the largest motorcycle rally in Mexico? I wasn't. That was my mistake.
This was our first time spending two weeks at an all inclusive. The first week flew by. We laughed at the people leaving saying that could be us after the first week. A couple of days later we wished it was over. I don't recommend 2 weeks
Ok, the hotel.....all the rooms face the ocean. Apparently paying the premium for ocean view only gets you a higher floor. The view is fantastic. In my opinion all the higher floor does is make you wait longer for an elevator. Elevators which seem to be few and far between, not to mention tiny. If you are at all claustrophobic get a low floor and take the stairs.
The rooms? Nice. Seemed a little dated for a five star but no complaints. I was looking forward to the in room bar but the liquor was nothing short of horrible. Tecate beer is not bad but it was not good.
Whilst on the topic of drinks.....what can I say......worst ever. The best drinks were at the lobby bar after 4pm. Seriously, how much money are they saving on this no name booze. 5 star? I had to go to the gas station to get decent beer.
The food? Hit and miss. The al a carte restaurants....don't bother.
There are some great restaurants just down the beach or several more down the road.
The pools, beach, grounds? Very nice. Chairs on the beach, around the pool, under shades, there is something for everyone.
We went because we got a great deal. It was Mexico. It was nice. But for full price I wouldn't recommend it.
It was about a 15 minute by cab to town and you are somewhat isolated otherwise.
I couldn't help but feel they were getting by on a wing and a prayer. I initially thought service was lacking because of the busy time of year but after that died down so did the staff. I would estimate the staff to guest ratio to be close to half of other 5 star hotels.
Even if you get a deal you should consider the cost of going out to eat and drink (which can be very reasonable) and transportation. Try the bus into town and splurge for the cab back. It adds up.
That being said, it wasn't bad but it isn't what it's made out to be. I recently read that Riu hotels start out all flash and slowly the quality dwindles as they ride the wave of good reviews. I think we missed the peak.
Good luck

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. Paying a premium only gets you a higher floor. There are no adjoining room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Surf Info: ^^^ If you not a strong swimmer/ advanced surfer do not surf in front of the RIU, the rip is strong and will pull you into the rocks on the North side of the break, you will see these just to your right if your on the beach just in front of RIU.

###THE GOOD NEWS###
I wasn't able to find much info about surfing/ board rentals close to RIU online before my trip, or at reception for that matter. Even though you can book lessons through one of the excursion desk in the lobby... But, with a little luck or good karma I found a spot- Witches Beach- just North of the RIU that breaks all year! When your ready to surf:
1. Walk out of the RIU to the beach
2. Head North (right) You will see the point, waves, an awesome local doing head stands on his
longboard!
3. On the weekends, you may find boards/ lessons for rent on the beach here. If not, just make a
right at the restaurant and a left when you see the small strip mall. The Looney Bean Coffee
Shop has plenty of boards, around 60 USD for a week...
4. When you paddle out, the channel is next to the rocks, easy paddle out.
5. The locals are cool, have fun and catch some waves.

This is the only break in Mazatlan that is good all year, guaranteed to get some waves!

+++LESSONS+++
You can talk with one of the excursion desks in the lobby, I think they use a surf shop in the Golden Zone.
When you rent a board ask the owner of the Coffee shop about lessons, I believe he has a friend giving lessons.
Or, just look for the guys on the beach on the weekends.

I hope this is helpful, if so leave a comment so I know this was helpful.

Noroc from Romania, for now
-Nick

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my first trip to Mexico and my first stay at an all-inclusive resort. At first I was very impressed with the resort. The property is clean, the staff is incredibly friendly, and there are plenty of resources for travellers. The one thing that did not fly was the food. The open buffet was fine for a couple days, but it began to seriously affect my stomach. I spent 2 of my 7 nights in bed with intense stomach cramps, diarrhea and nausea. I may have even had a fever. I've been home for 2 days now and still feel horrible.

I wouldn't shy away from this place completely, but I would keep in mind that foods like fresh fruit, salad, milk and anything cooked in water should be avoided, even at the resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed, as a couple, at the Riu from April 26-May 3.

Flight:
We flew Sunwing - prearranged our seats for $15 each. If you want a window seat and to sit beside the person you are going with I would recommend doing so. Very easy to do online or you can even call Sunwing and they will do it for you. They offered breakfast, champagne, a softdrink/juice, nuts, and a chocolate during the flight (pretty good for a 4.5 hour flight). I didn’t mind they food - the omelet is better than the french toast. If you ask for extra nuts they will usually give you more too!

Airport and Shuttle:
They used the exits at the front and back of the plane so it was pretty fast getting off. There was a little bit of a wait for luggage - maybe 25 minutes. Getting through customs was a breeze - press the button and hope for green. When you step outside the airport you will see Taxi’s and shuttle busses. Just look for your Sunwing Rep if that is who you booked through and they will point you to the right bus. We were offered beer outside of the bus for approx. $5 each. We declined because we thought they would sell beer on the bus- they don’t sell beer on the bus so you’re better off to order it outside or just wait until you get to the resort. During the 40 minute ride to the Riu you will see a lot of dry land, some beat up buildings, nicer buildings, and even a prison. Do NOT worry about the scenery - the closer you get to Mazatlan the better it looks!! One you arrive at the Riu you stay on the bus for about 5 minutes - during this time they give you information and put your bracelets on (very efficient).

Check in and First Impressions:
Once you step into the resort you are offered beer and juice (take one of each). You may also be offered Tequilla - it is very delicious! You get a sticker to put on your luggage - you put your room number on it and once your room is ready they will bring your luggage up to your room. They keep your luggage in the lobby and it is watched. My fiancé wanted to put some things from his carry on back in his luggage and as soon as he unzipped his luggage someone that worked at the resort came to make sure it was his luggage and not someone else’s. We had to wait a couple of hours until our room was ready. We decided to get lunch and hit up the pool while we waited (the time flew by!).

We had a room with a king size bed on the 16th floor. Gorgeous view!! The room was very spacious, clean, and nicely decorated. The mini bar was fully stocked. The beer and pepsi in the mini fridge were our favorite - he gave us extra when he would restock it too! There is shower gel in a dispenser in the shower. There are 2 bars on soap and a wrapped shower cap on the vanity. The bed is a little hard but the pillows made up for it. There is a blanket in the top of the closet to use if you feel cold.

Food:
Breakfast was our favorite meal of the day. I loved the fresh pancakes, fruit, hash browns, cappuccinos (tasted like a french vanilla from Tim Hortons), and eggs benedict.

Lunch was the same every day. There was plenty to choose from - pastas, burgers, hot dogs, meat dishes, veggy dishes, potatoes/rice, desert, and icecream.

Dinner is very similar to lunch except that there is more to choose from. The soups at the dinners were my favorite! There was a lobster bisque that was to die for! The Italian restaurant served they same things that they had at the buffet. The Asian restaurant was very good. The spring rolls are worth the reservation alone!

One of the best parts about the buffet restaurants is that they allow you to bring food out of them. I brought my fiancé dinner one night because he was too tired to make it down and he brought me breakfast the next day to return the favor. We brought a lot of fruit to our room one night and packed it to bring on an excursion the next day - the bananas at the buffet have so much flavor.

The snacks at the sports bar are decent. They taste good but I think a burger that I had one night made me sick. I have a pretty sensitive stomach so I’m not 100% sure that it was the burger.

We went to the restaurant that you come across first when walking down the beach to the right of the resort (just up the stairs). The chips and salsa they serve you first are very tasty. The coconut shrimp is the best of the different kinds of shrimp. The lobster was okay. You didn’t get very much with it and the butter get hard pretty fast. One of our friends got the steak and it was better than the lobster (better price too - $13 for his meal). The exchange rate was good at this restaurant - $1 = 12.4 pesos. Pay with American if you have it.

Some reviews I saw prior to our trip complained about the coffee at the resort. Get a cappuccino at the sports bar (with or without Bailys) and you will be more than happy! We got cappuccino 2-3 times a day.

**if your room is located on the same side of the resort as the sports bar there is an exit behind the pool table that will take you just outside of the elevator

Pools and Ocean:
We only spent time in the pool with the swim up bar so I can’t comment on any of the other pools. The pool that we were in was the perfect temperature the whole trip. The bartenders at the swim up bar were fantastic! Very quick to serve you, made great drinks, very friendly to everyone, and they seemed to love their jobs. Nemo is the man!! That atmosphere at that pool changes every day. One day the pool will be the party place from the morning till the night and the next day it will be a little dead. I think it’s because the partiers from the day before need a break! There are little booths along the side of this pool - makes it great to socialize.

The ocean was beautiful. The sand was very soft and there were a lot of nice sea shells to collect. I can’t swim so I didn’t go out to far from the shore. My fiancé went out a bit further and he said the waves were rough but a lot of fun. The life guard won’t let you go out too far if it’s dangerous and if you wind up too far he will come in to save you. There was a nice breeze on the beach so if you tanned out there you wouldn’t get too hot.

Staff:
The staff at the Riu are the best I have encountered on any of the trips I have been on (Dominican, Cancun, Mayan, Puerto Vallarta). They are very hard working but they don’t seem like they are. They are always so positive and friendly. If you need anything at all they are more than happy to help. They definitely made the trip.

On the shuttle bus to the resort we forgot our pouch that held all of our money and our passports. The lady on the bus went through the lobby and search for me. She got my name from my passport and I heard her calling for me. She returned our pouch and there was no money missing.

We forgot some money on our night stand when we went for breakfast one day (approx. $50). When we got back to our room everything was cleaned and all of the money was still sitting on the night stand. We didn’t have anything go missing (jewelry, money, etc.) during our stay at the Riu.

I read in some reports about theft at the resort so I was nervous. I do not think the staff was responsible for anything going missing! I am very thankful to the lady from the bus and the maid that cleaned our room for not taking advantage of the mistakes that we made!!

Excursions/Shopping:
We went deep sea fishing with Emilio. The boys that went the day before us caught a 200 pound marlin so when we went we were hoping for the same luck. We weren’t as successful as them but we did catch a Bonita (ate it raw on the boat with salt, pepper, and lime - delicious!!). We also saw a marlin skip across the water, saw 2 huge sea turtles, and almost caught a shark (he was very tricky!)

Emilio forgot to get the salt, pepper, and lime ready for us so it cost us fishing time in the morning for him to grab. He also forgot to tell the crew on the boat that we were supposed to go battle fishing (off the shore for 2 hours. He is a very nice man but these mistakes didn’t impress us.

We went to the market instead of the golden zone and got much better deals. The market is indoors and is very fun! There weren’t many tourists here so you really felt the Mazatlan atmosphere. The people that worked in the shops made it a challenge to get a good deal but it was all in good fun and you eventually got them down to the price you were willing to pay.
The cathedral across from the market is beautiful. If you go on the cathedral property you get a very serene feeling. We bought a couple of crosses from a lady that worked there. The money that we spent went to good causes - I can’t remember what exactly.

There were 2 little girls playing music beside the McDonalds across from the Cathedral. We tipped them and bought them ice cream. A lot of the time the money that they are tipped goes to their family/parents so we felt good buying them ice cream because it was something that they could enjoy- especially on that hot afternoon.

There is a huge liquor store in the main road right across from the coast. The liquor here is priced amazingly!! Even better than the duty free. Don Julios was practically free at this liquor store.

Our cab driver was fantastic! He took us on a tour of the city, gave us plenty of tips, offered to come shopping with us to help us save money, and met us where he was supposed to. I have his card at home and can’t remember his name. If you want to know who he is please message me and I will tell you his name and phone number. He drives an open taxi with a shark fin on the top.

Other Guests:
Everyone that we came in contact with were very friendly. We made a lot of friends that we plan on keeping in contact with. If you are a bit shy and would still like to make friends just bring Red Solo cups and start a flip cup game like Quinn did. There was a group of about 20 of us that would hit up the theatre bar and disco almost every night. We didn’t have to go out of the resort to party on any of the night because we had such a wicked group of people at the resort!!

There are some locals that come to the resort. They were all very friendly and we made friends with some of them. The only issue we had was when we were in the Jacuzzi. We were there first on one half of it. There were a couple of Mexican woman on the other side. As time progressed more and more of their friends joined them. As soon as one of us would go to the bar they would move into our space and “take over”. We were eventually so squished in there that we decided to leave down to the beach. One of the girls with us had an injured knee so we asked them nicely to be careful around it. They just laughed and became a bit more aggressive (moved closer to her knee among other things). They were drinking and this could have easily happened with other Canadians/Americans but I think it was the language barrier that caused the situation to escalade.

Weather:
The weather was beautiful the whole time that we were there. In the afternoon it was in the early to mid thirties every day. It cooled down at night but I never had to put a sweater/pants on. The breeze during the day was very refreshing. The sun is very strong in Mazatlan. I went tanning before I left and I still burnt (even with sunscreen on). I never burn here at home without sun screen on. I would recommend bringing sunscreen with you even if you are very tanned to begin with. Better to be safe then have to pay big money for it at the resort.

Departure:
After getting souvenirs and alcohol our luggage was about the same weight when we left. The scales from the Edmonton airport and the Mazatlan airport must have worked in our favor. They weight your luggage together if you live in the same house hold so no need to try and balance out the suitcases when you pack everything up. Once you get up stairs there is a shop. Don’t but any liquids at this shop because you will not be allowed to bring them past Customs. There are 2 duty free shops on the other side of customs. If you plan on getting cigarettes you should get them at the duty free shops in the airport instead of on the plane (sometimes they run out on the plane).

If you have any questions please feel free to message me!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!