“Will not return!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Package Sale!
Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Alberta, Canada
“Will not return!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Just spent one week at the Riu Emerald Bay. I'll start by saying the check in was great, very fast and efficient.
Went to our room and unpacked, loved the room and the view. Went for lunch and a walk on the beach, good start to our vacation. Then it went downhill, went back to our room and I had not put everything in the safe and my money that I put in the drawer under my clothes was gone.
I have read other reports of the same type of things happening to them and the treatment received after reporting it. It sounds like their PR person Erica has the same paragraph she says to everyone, it is not our responsibility!
We were shown a print out of the key activity of our room, very convenient for them, it should no one went into our room, well I guess my money grew wings and flew out the window. I was given a story that this never happens at the Riu, well Erica you need to read tripadvisor because it happens a lot and you guys try and cover it up! Shame on the Riu for allowing this to happen and not caring about their customers! My holiday was ruined because of the staff member who took my money and then by the way I was treated after!! I will never recommend the Riu Emerald Bay to anyone and I will be sure to let anyone who will listen know to stay away!
The Internet service is also stupid, you get 90 min. free in the lobby but can only sign on once and then your out of luck for the next 24hrs. Beds were hard as a rock.
There was lots of food choices. Many of the staff were awesome! Many of the pool area bartenders were not awesome, they were rude!
So if you go to the Riu, big mistake but if you do lock up everything you have that matters! And read all the negative reviews because there are many who talk about theft and not being treated fairly!
Again shame on the management staff at the Riu!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

8 of us travelled to Mazatlan in November 2012 and stayed at the Riu - this was my first experience at a Riu resort and they are fantastic! We stayed with our 3 year old in a family suite - had a king sized bed and a twin bed. The upside to a family suite is that all the family suites are located in the same area in the hotel so it was by far the quietest hotel we have stayed at, despite being VERY large ( 700 rooms)
You don't need to pay extra for an ocean view, all of the rooms face the ocean and have decent views. We were on the 10th floor and had a fantastic view, my sister and her family were on the 3rd floor in a standard room and had ocean views as well, just not quite as expansive.
Our three year old had a fantastic time at the kids pool - we never left him in the kids club at all. He was able to play in the pool on the slides while we watched and lounged in the chairs beside the pool.
There is a local surf beach 2 min walk down the beach, you can also stand on your balcony and see them surfing in the morning.
Riu was very clean and safe, and the staff went out of their way to help - a maid saw me struggling to carry my son and all of our beach things, so she stopped what she was doing to help out. The waiters and waitresses were very accomodating as well, even in the buffet areas they all recognized us by the last 3 or 4 days, and had our drinks waiting for us.

The only negative comment I have is that on the weekends the resort is super busy because locals come to stay. There were a few times during those days that the buffet couldn't keep up, and there was very limited seating in the buffets and restaraunts.
We have stayed in 5 other all inclusives over the past few years and Riu had something for everyone. I am a big fan of this resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is hands down one of the nicest, cleanest hotels I have had the pleasure of staying in. The service was outstanding. I was here for two weeks, so I started getting bored with the pools and beach and wanted to head out exploring the town. Thats when you realise how far out you are. I am grabbing at straws for a complaint, and the location is the best I can do. Some might prefer this. As for the reviews about stuff going missing, I never had any problems. Why would anyone put valuables in thier underware drawer if there is a free safe in every room? I don't work at the hotel, and I am skeptical about that. Anything valuable either came with, or went in safe. Breath taking sunsets, amazing pools, and one of the most incredible beaches I have seen anywhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

All in all Mexico in general is one of my favorite places to visit. The beach at this resort was great, lots of opportunities to boogie board. Food was pretty decent, and of course the booze was always a quick grab.

The resort itself had a mixed bag of people. It definitely felt a lot more like Mexico then the Carribbean side that. There was an amazing seafood joint just up the beach, 10 minute walk that has an excellent menu. Best Seafood I've ever had hands down! Not too pricey either for the amount of quality grub.

Nightclub on the resort which was better then the ones we went to off the resort. Beach volleyball, multiple bars, 3 or 4 restaurants that I can remember.

Stayed in the lofts which were nice, the couch/beds weren't overly comfortable but how much time do you want to spend in your bed on a vacation anyways.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We are headed back to this beautiful resort on April 2, 2013 for a second time, the staff are so friendly and helpful and the view is absolutely beautiful, can't wait to get there.
I would recommend this resort to anyone, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

it was ok. Great location and beach, clean hotel and rooms, make sure u get a room on a low enough floor that u can take the stairs cuz the elevators are small and slow. Every room is ocean view so dont pay extra for one. There is no store in the hotel so u gotta walk 2 blocks to one if you need to buy smokes or anything. The food sucks its the same every day. The a la carte restaurants suck they are buffets, not fine dining at all. There's a couple restaurants and bars within walking distance I strongly suggest those. The town was kind of dead besides fri and sat, senior frogs sucks, there's a couple good restaurants in town. You should take the city tour in a taxi for one hour for $22 it's really worth it to see the whole city. The pools on the left side of the hotel are much quieter and relaxing then the ones on right. The massage on the beach was awesome. The resort is a lot of Mexicans and a lot of children. About $12 cab into town. The resort will not exchange any money for you!!

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean view so dont pay extra for one. get a room on a low enough floor so you can take...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
bellevegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a great resort that will appeal to all ages and families. Check in was seamless. The staff board the bus on your arrival and attach your bracelets.You then pick up your room key in the lobby while sipping a beer or cocktail. The luggage was in our room within 15 mins of arrival. The orientation meeting was wonderfully done. You were introduced to all of the managers of the resort.

The service and friendliness of the staff was exceptional. Excellent main buffet, My main complaint is that the a la carte restaurants, Italian and Japanese, were also buffet. We chose to exit these restaurants and go to the main buffet as the selection was superior. The beverage choices in the main buffet were very limited, Soda, beer and very bad wine. We usually stopped at the Sports Bar and brought a drink with us. This is a shout-out to Daniel from the Sports Bar who gave us excellent service and amazing mojitos!

We chose to eat lunch twice at Mr. Lionsos down the beach. Great crowd and the best coconut shrimp and grilled fish ever.I also brought home his almond tequila.

We booked a deep sea fishing/whale watching tour with Emilio on the beach. (under the red umbrella). We did not catch any fish that day, but it was an excellent day otherwise. We saw 4 dolphins, 2 whales, sea turtle, sting ray, Marlin skipping across the water, couple of sailfish and a hammerhead shark. There were 6 of us and we paid $50 each for the day with a case of beer and burritos provided by Emilio's wife which were excellent. We also brought pastries and fruit from the resort with us.

We did the city tour on Saturday for a cost of $30 per person. It was OK. We chose to stay in the Golden zone instead of returning to the resort right away. My husband and I had the most amazing seafood platter for two at Panchos. There was enough food on there for 4 people. We each had three different types of fish, two types of shrimp, frog legs, two dishes with octopus, squid and mussells, lobster tail and all the nachos you could eat for $50 CAD. The guacamole was fantastic.

Shopping was quite good as well for souveniers.

The weather was a bit finicky, There were a couple of cool mornings and evenings but hot and sunny around the pool during the day.

Would defintiely return again!

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanview. The balconies are a good size. We stayed on the 15th floor and had fantasti...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!