“Great Relaxing Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Port Coquitlam, Canada
“Great Relaxing Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Great resort, would go back. Have been to Mexico many times, different places, first time to Mazatlan. Went with Signatue/Sunwing vacations, small planes, tight fit, good thing it is not a long flight. Arrived at hotel and the excellent staff boarded the bus and put on our bracelets, entered hotel and greeted with beer and cocktails and snacks. Proceeded to lobby bar to pick up envelope with room key and towel cards and stickers for luggage to be delivered to your room painless, no waiting at the front desk to check in. All rooms at this hotel have beautiful ocean views and great size balcony, we were on the 16th floor and kept our sliding doors open all night so we could hear the ocean. The rooms were a great size, very clean, great size bathrooms, two sinks and spotless! The closets were big and had plenty of hangers, lots of drawer space. This has to be the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in in Mexico, they were constantly cleaning, painting and gardening. The food was good and so much variety, my only complaint is the coffee in the morning, not very good. Next time I would bring my own instant coffee to add to it. The specialty restaurants were not so special, two were buffet, food was good, but nothing special. I think when we were there Jan 25-Feb 1, capacity was about 35%, so it was very nice and quiet, plenty of chairs on the beach. I am not sure I would go when it is at 100%, it would be crowded. I would recommend bringing some wipes to wipe off the bird droppings on the chair cushions. Beach was beautiful and could walk for miles, the water was a little rough but could swim. The staff were wonderful and helpful, front desk staff very helpful, our bar fridge had not been filled when we arrived, just spoke to front desk and the fridge was packed everyday with lots of water, beer, soft drinks. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, had a very relaxing holiday.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at the RIU Emerald Bay, 28th Jan – 5th Feb 2013. What a great vacation and mostly because of the RIU staff. We would go back again.

From the time we arrived till the time we checked out we were looked after by excellent management and staff. Within minutes of getting to our room we were called by the front desk to make sure everything was fine. Asked for a couple extra pillows and they were delivered quickly and the front desk called to make sure we got them.

CHECK-IN: Was fast and efficient and we were offered beverages while they explained the resorts information, etc. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful during or complete stay.

ROOMS: We were in a Jacuzzi Suite on the 17th floor ocean view. All rooms at this hotel face the ocean but some have a superior view than others. It was fantastic, clean, spacious and well decorated. No problems at all, everything worked and we had no issues controlling the room’s temperature. Each room has the standard items, liquor dispenser, safe, fridge that was stocked ever second day, hair dryer, etc. We had read some reviews talking about elevators wait times and we did not wait more than a couple of minutes even when the resort was busy. The maids did an excellent job maintaining our room and you could see that they took pride in their work. Tip or no tip the level of service was the same. We had new towel art each day.

FOOD: We had no issues making dinner reservations with our party of six. You may not be able to get the exact date and seating time but there was availability if you were flexible. The three a la carte restaurants were fine but the Mexican is the only true sit done service. The other two were partly buffet style. The daily buffets were great and there were always plenty of choices. The only issue I had was that the lunch menu did not vary enough but there were still lots to choose from. This Resort does not advertise ROOM SERVICE so not sure why people complain that there is none. If you want room service then choose a resort that offers this service. The RIU Palace resorts do have room service but they also charge more.

BARS: There are more than enough bars at this resort and we never waited long for a drink. These bartenders work their butts off. If you want strong say so, if you want weak say so. If you want a specific brand they have just ask. After the first time I ordered the bartender knew exactly what I wanted when I came back each time. I drank my fair share of tequila and kept them busy from opening to closing each day. Same as for the maid’s service was the same tip or no tip.

BEACH: Great beach for walking and the sand was ok. Restaurant and shopping a short walk down the beach. There are beach vendors in front of the resort but they are not as bad as most make them out to be. Politely say no and if you have no intentions of buying they move on to the next person who is.

POOLS: The pools were awesome and well taken care of. Staff was constantly cleaning them. I would like to note that the Bar Pool or Pool Bar is not a swimming pool but a bar area. I was very happy to see that they did make sure children were not allowed in this area when the bar was opened. As for water clarity and quality, who in their right mind would want to use the bar pool for recreational swimming. I for one would not want to dunk my head under the water here nor would I want to take in a big mouth full and spit it out. Do some people relieve themselves at the pool bar? I can guarantee it but the same is true at most pools even at private clubs. So not sure why we are shocked or blame the resort for the murky water at the end of the day? They do provide restrooms for this purpose it is up to the guests to use them. As for the oil slick at the end of the day who is really to blame…. Sun tan oil and lotion is oily…

ENTERTAINMENT: If there was minor let down I would say that compared to other resorts it wasn’t as good. There are lots of day time activities but you had to seek them out for yourself. The nightly entertainment was good but it only lasted an hour or so. I like when they get the guests involved and would have liked to see more of that before the shows. The dancing was entertaining and semiprofessional. The best show was the Crazy Show put on by the day time entertainment staff.

RESORT: In general the resort is big, well maintained, very clean, great staff, friendly staff and English was well understood by most. If you need something just ask nicely and you will not be surprised at the excellent service you will receive. Special thanks to Fabian, Arturo, Giovanni for their hard work. I must also mention Erika Rangel, thank you for all you did to make this a very special vacation.

LOCATION: If you are looking for night life, shopping and restaurants then this resort is a liitle remote from most of that. But its only a short bus trip from the Golden Zone.

INTERNET: You have 90 consecutive minutes each day. So plan wisely. The signal is ok but during peak times it can be slow.

SHOPPING: The resort does have three shops but the prices are mostly high, but that’s the cost of convenience. You can take a short bus ride into town for under 10 pesos each. If you want to take a taxi barter the price and agree on it before you leave.

MAZATLAN: It is a great town. The historic area is very nice and easy to get around. The market is an experience and something to see. You can go on your own easy enough or take a guided tour.

AIRPORT: The airport is alright and easy to get around. Like all vacation destination they have the time share pain in the butts you need to walk by first then it is smooth sailing from there. Learn to just say NO.

SAFETY: We at any time did not feel unsafe at the resort, on the beach, in town, on an excursion or anywhere in Mazatlan for that matter. That being said it is just like at home use common sense and do not carry big wads of money, etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was our 2nd. trip to this location in 3 years. We are a senior couple in our 60's. Everything as excellent as the fIrst visit. Spotlessly clean [and we are fussy]. Attentive staff who recognize you quickly and call you by name. Large food selection is abundant, tasty and fresh [note: these people make $5-$10 a DAY, so please tip them. 20 pesos is less than $2 Cdn/Am.]. Nightly stage show is different every night and very entertaining. Of course the beach and ocean are the biggest drawing card. Miles and miles of wide, smooth sand beach. Shallow water for hundreds of feet out and then waves to surf back in on. This resort is north of Mazatlan about 10 miles and you can see and and enjoy its skyline frome the beach. There are 2 small beach restaurants to visit for cervesa or wine, etc. and a larger seafood place that is excellent. There is also a small strip mall down the beach that has vendors, sportsbars and an excellent rib joint. This is also where the fishing boats come in and there is a beautiful view of the next bay. We took a 4 hr. tour of Mazatlan, on a beautiful modern Mercedes Benz bus, that was the highlight of our trip. So very informative. We have NEVER felt unsafe at any resort we have stayed at in Mexico. Take a look at the crime rate in your community and compare it to Mexico's. The crime in our communities in Alberta are much higher than at a mexican resort. The unfortunate incident that occured in the elevators at this resort 2 yrs. ago could have happened anywhere, and was not the fault of the resort. As it turn out, it was a marital dispute. In spite of this conclusion, the Riu installed added security in the elevators in the form of video monitor camera's. This is a very safe facility. Hope this review helped and enjoy your trip to Riu Emerald Bay.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. Fast elevators, so higher rooms no problem. If you are unhappy with your r...
Limoges
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Tequila aka Mexican water. 8 couples traveled to Riu. 7 day vacation. Resort is 45 minutes from the airport. At the resort we where greeted with beer and tequila, good start, then given an envelop which contained our room key and other info. Room are clean and spacious, all facing the ocean. Slept with the patio doors open, listening to the ocean. Beautiful view from our room, we where on the 17 floor. Grounds and pools are well maintained. Long walks on the beach, always felt safe. While taking our walks, we spotted dolphins swimming not o far from shore. Also sat and watch some surfing a 10 minute walk down the beach. Restaurants where good, 3 a la carte dinner. 2 a la carte where buffets. We really enjoyed our stay at this resort. Great company, great weather, great resort.
The reason I only gave it a 4 was some of the food was soso, but would definitely go back.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Riu hotel is one of the best we have experienced. The hotel is well managed clean and serves great food buffet /restaurants. The staff is outstanding from the front desk to servers to cleaners.
Beware however of the arrangements the hotel has with the Doctors who provide medical service. My wife fell ill with severe cramps and nausea unrelated to food or water issues. When we called the front desk a Doctor was dispatched who mistakenly diagnosed the problem as an intestinal food related issue. He said he would prescribe a pain killer and antibiotic. He explained that the pain would be relieved quicker if we took her to the clinic/hospital (Nuevo Mazatlan aka Clinic Balboa operated by Tourist Medical Assist Co.) where she would be put on an Intervienus (I.V.) drip for hydration and pain medication. We chose the clinic option but in retrospect felt like we had been lured to this option for fast relief. The doctor casually said he would arrange transportation. When we left the hotel we were surprise to see a rough looking ambulance at the hotel with another Doctor on board. Upon arrival to the clinic they put her on the I.V. drip and soon after hooked up a heart monitor to her. At that point I talked to the Doctors and said we had come to the clinic for an I.V .drip and not a series of tests. That’s when the nightmare started. I asked them to keep her on a drip and monitor her for a few hours. They refused and called in the so called Chief of staff (This was at 11pm) who tried to pressure us into an x ray -ultrasound and blood test. We refused the testing and asked for a prescription for antibiotics. They refused and persisted on the tests. At that point I accused them of holding us hostage for a simple prescription. At that point the Chief of staff said he would call the police because of my hostage comment and picked up his cell phone. I invited him to do so and we had my wife disconnected form the I.V. and went back to the Hotel. We genuinely believe the clinic was trying to make money on the tests for no legitimate health reason. The Clinic was dirty and the front office in disarray.

The next day I met with the General Manager of the Riu Hotel who seemed surprised to hear of such treatment. She listened attentively and assured me that she would raise this matter at the corporate level of the chain.

We suspect that this Tourist Medical Assist Co has arrangements with many of the resorts. There are good hospitals in Mazatlan and we visited the Sharp Hospital and were treated well at a cost of half of the clinic rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Westminster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have just returned from our first Mexican trip of 2013 (we go once or twice a year). We travelled with other friends on this trip and picked Mazatlan because none of us had been there before. This was also the first time staying at a Riu property. Needless to say, we've become Riu members and will stay at other Riu properties in the future.

I loved this resort! I loved how clean it was, I loved the staff and I loved the lay out of the resort. Possibly my only negative opinions of the resort is quietness of the resort in the evening and there are too many buffets. Apart from the Mexican restaurant, all of the meals were buffet-style and there is a huge lounge/bar off the lobby which I feel it could have been utilized more effectively with live music in the evenings for those of us not interested in the shows, the disco and not wanting to leave the property to seek other entertainment.

Room Tip: As far as I saw, all the rooms faced the ocean. We upgraded to a honeymoon suite which was worth it...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just came back from Riu Emerald bay. This is a typical Riu property. Very clean everywhere you go on the resort there is always someone sweeping or cleaning. The food in the restaurants was all very good, but if you don't like buffet style then this is not the place for you. The rooms are kept spotless and they are all oceanview. We stayed on the 10th floor had beautiful sunsets every night. We also could see dolphins jumping most evenings. I don't think we would go back, resort is to large and bland for our taste.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!