“50 / 50” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #15 of 76 hotels in Mazatlan
Richmond, Canada
“50 / 50”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks early January.
Unfortunately, both myself and another member in our group got food poisoning. The worst thing was this hotel may be all inclusive but does not have room service. Thus despite feeling weak and spending 3 days in washroom, I still had to go down 18 floors just to get myself some tea. Being a type 1 diabetic, the lack of room service along with being ill, caused a problem for me. Additionally, I fell twice on the stairs. Hurting myself both times. No one seemed to care that I was banged up, bruised and ached all over. So between these things... it put a damper on my stay. I felt that they really didn't care. Housekeeping was great, living a tip and showing appreciation helps.
And not once were the drinks mixed the same. And the martinis were never mixed the same. Some bartenders didn't even know the correct way to make one. I have stayed at other Riu Hotels, this one is one I won't be returning to.

Room Tip: I was on th 18th floor, north side. Very quiet. Although the rest of the family, four other rooms...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

1,696 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband & I just got back from Mazatlan, Mexico. Feb 8th. ' 2013 Stayed at this beautiful 5 star resort -RIU EMERALD BAY.... The big/spacious hotel is very impressive & super clean. not to mentioned all the super friendly stafff and the guard that seems to work 24/7 to make sure everything is to each guest expectations. Bravo !!! All rooms are ocean view & its amazing first thing when you woke up looking at your veranda room with this spectacular view of the beach and the palm trees. It's so relaxing & the view is truly breath taking. I'll say its close to touching heaven. Indeed a paradise....Foods are abundance and just so fantastic. We hope someday we can also try to stay at RIU EMERALD BAY Resort in a different Caribbean location, as we surely enjoyed our stay. We brought home precious sweet memories of RIU... Orest / Vilma - from St. Albert, Canada

Room Tip: I'll say all room are excellent as all the rooms are ocean views... We stayed on the 7th. floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lethbridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for a week. It was very clean, and felt safe. We had a great time. The shows at night were a nice option to have as entertainment. Only complaint would be house keeping was coming to our room after 2, and was sort of a nuisance to not have your room cleaned by the morning. Other than that, drinks great food as awesome!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Riu Emerald Bay January 28th, 2013 - February 5th, 2013, and loved it.... I have been to 10 different Riu's in the past and loved them all and this one did not disappoint.

Pros: the resort itself, it was beauitful, the beach is wonderful to go for long walks, even went for a swim in the ocean, it was cold at first, but once your body adjusted it was awesome. I love the food, remember it is a buffet... My husband thought the lunch buffet was a little repetitive... But it is lunch? We went to the Mexican and Italian a la cartes, both were fine.

Rooms where clean and comfortable, we also were lucky to get a suite which was incredible....

The thing I liked the most was the staff... Everyone and I repeat everyone were amazing, friendly, accommodating and welcoming... The front desk especially Erica Engel the marketing manager, the pool bar staff especially Fabain and Arturo and all of the entertainment staff. We thought the Variety Show that the entertainment crew put on was one of the best that we have seen.

We took advantage of the Cerritos bus into town twice, once to the Mega and then to Walmart the next night. We also did some souvenir shopping the night we went to Mega, it was a short walk from Mega and it was fun to walk up the Main Street.

Cons:

The first two days it was cold.... But that is not Mazatlan's fault just Mother Nature and even though the entrainment staff is amazing I think there can be more activities at night time before the shows etc...

However my biggest complaint is the dessert, there is to much Flan type desserts... Everything bounced... Lol

I would definitely recommend the Riu Emerald Bay in Mazatlan... We loved it!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Well, to start off with, the food was amazing! I especially loved the fresh fruit, the fresh peanut butter, the fresh chocolate, the ice cream, and the guacamole. These people cook amazing food! Secondly, the resort was beautiful and there were always people going around and cleaning it. The staff was extremely friendly as well. Larisa, Regina, Fernando, Raymond, Alex, and Ernesto were some of my favorite staff there. The cleaners did an excellent job of cleaning not only the rooms but the whole place. The drinks were some of the best ive ever had including the beer.Ask Alex or Ernesto in the theatre room for any shot and you wont be disappointed. If anyone wants to know the zipling/tequila tour was awesome thanks to Roberto. The papparazzi was amazing with his camera and i would definetely encourage everyone to book a photo shoot. Thanks to everyone who works there for an amazing one week vacation.

Room Tip: we didnt choose but the rooms were excellent! they all face the ocean so there is no disappointment...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Stony Plain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is my first review. a few of us go away every year, and with me being in a wheelchair, we always stay at the RIU'sfor the handicap room. Emerald Bay was clean, good food, every room is an ocean view. saw alot of locals eating in the buffets, people walked off the beach into the hotel (we know by the wrist bracelets). The friendly atmosphere was not there, compared to the other RIU's. no decorated towels we always get, no decorated fruit at the buffet tables, staff was nice, but not "friendly". and yes, we tip lots, more than most average people. Guess we got spoiled at the other RIU's.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Was at the resort from February 1 to 8th, 2013 and was very happy with the resort. The food was excellent; there is food for everyone, children could enjoy pizza, pasta, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc and adults could enjoy seafood, mexician, and everything else the resort had to offer. The waiters and staff are very friendly and helpful. You always saw staff cleaning the resort and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Check-in and check-out at the hotel was very easy and quick. The gym and spa is very good. I had a massage at the spa and it was very good and the prices were much the same as I pay here in Edmonton. If I had to pick one negative thing about the hotel, I would have to say the entertainment in the evening was not that great. There was a nightly show at 9:00pm that lastest for an hour and than there was really nothing else to do other than hang out at a bar. There was no variety or opportunity to do anything else. The resort is a ways from the Golden Zone so you would have to take a cab to get to the restaurants and bars.
There is a good restaurant at the end of the beach and there is a small market down the street that has a great coffee shop called Looney Beans. There are shops there, a sports bar, massages, and a few other restaurants. If you are missing your Starbucks Coffee we found the one and only Starbucks in the Golden Zone. Its behind a bank if you need your fix!
I see someone made a comment at the age of people at the resort and I have to agree with them. If you are young and want to party this is really not the resort for you. The average ages of the people at the resort when we were there was 35-65 years old.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th Floor and the view was excellent and we could not hear the noise from the beach...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!