“AWESOME! BEAUTIFUL!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Lethbridge, Canada
“AWESOME! BEAUTIFUL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Well, to start off with, the food was amazing! I especially loved the fresh fruit, the fresh peanut butter, the fresh chocolate, the ice cream, and the guacamole. These people cook amazing food! Secondly, the resort was beautiful and there were always people going around and cleaning it. The staff was extremely friendly as well. Larisa, Regina, Fernando, Raymond, Alex, and Ernesto were some of my favorite staff there. The cleaners did an excellent job of cleaning not only the rooms but the whole place. The drinks were some of the best ive ever had including the beer.Ask Alex or Ernesto in the theatre room for any shot and you wont be disappointed. If anyone wants to know the zipling/tequila tour was awesome thanks to Roberto. The papparazzi was amazing with his camera and i would definetely encourage everyone to book a photo shoot. Thanks to everyone who works there for an amazing one week vacation.

Room Tip: we didnt choose but the rooms were excellent! they all face the ocean so there is no disappointment...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Stony Plain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is my first review. a few of us go away every year, and with me being in a wheelchair, we always stay at the RIU'sfor the handicap room. Emerald Bay was clean, good food, every room is an ocean view. saw alot of locals eating in the buffets, people walked off the beach into the hotel (we know by the wrist bracelets). The friendly atmosphere was not there, compared to the other RIU's. no decorated towels we always get, no decorated fruit at the buffet tables, staff was nice, but not "friendly". and yes, we tip lots, more than most average people. Guess we got spoiled at the other RIU's.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Was at the resort from February 1 to 8th, 2013 and was very happy with the resort. The food was excellent; there is food for everyone, children could enjoy pizza, pasta, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc and adults could enjoy seafood, mexician, and everything else the resort had to offer. The waiters and staff are very friendly and helpful. You always saw staff cleaning the resort and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Check-in and check-out at the hotel was very easy and quick. The gym and spa is very good. I had a massage at the spa and it was very good and the prices were much the same as I pay here in Edmonton. If I had to pick one negative thing about the hotel, I would have to say the entertainment in the evening was not that great. There was a nightly show at 9:00pm that lastest for an hour and than there was really nothing else to do other than hang out at a bar. There was no variety or opportunity to do anything else. The resort is a ways from the Golden Zone so you would have to take a cab to get to the restaurants and bars.
There is a good restaurant at the end of the beach and there is a small market down the street that has a great coffee shop called Looney Beans. There are shops there, a sports bar, massages, and a few other restaurants. If you are missing your Starbucks Coffee we found the one and only Starbucks in the Golden Zone. Its behind a bank if you need your fix!
I see someone made a comment at the age of people at the resort and I have to agree with them. If you are young and want to party this is really not the resort for you. The average ages of the people at the resort when we were there was 35-65 years old.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th Floor and the view was excellent and we could not hear the noise from the beach...
Calgary, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We are a family of two adults and two young teens who just got back from the Riu in Mazatlan. We had a great week! I can't say enough about how clean it is. The rooms, the public bathrooms, the pool areas - all immaculate! The food in the buffet restaurants has abundant choice and is delicious. The staff are so very friendly and most of them speak passable if not fluent english. The front desk is very helpful and open to your requests (we got extra pillows, a cot, and one gentleman helped me translate the ATM machine). We didn't do any excursions because the resort was fun and relaxing all on it's own!

Our favorite bits: The beach at this resort is huge - always chairs available. The sand is great, and there are no rocks at all (only sand) in the ocean for hours of swimming and boogey boarding. The sports bar was great for watching the Superbowl! The staff was amazing and all the rooms have a view of the ocean. The shows were fun and the entertainment staff were great. Amazing sunsets!! My 14 yr old son went para-sailing and loved it. Our kids were too old for the kids activities, so perhaps a teen club or the odd teen activity would have been fun.

What we weren't so happy with: although there was no smoking inside the hotel, it was hard to find a spot at any of the pools where you could breathe fresh air. It would be nice if one of the pool areas was smoke-free. Any drink requiring a syrup (daquiris, slush margaritas, etc) seemed to be made with aspartame, so I switched to Gin and Tonic.

If we were to do it again: We were on the 4th floor, but I would have enjoyed the view from a bit higher, I think. We never once stayed up till the disco opened (11pm) because we were exhausted from all the ocean playing, but I would be interested to check that out. I also would have brought some school supplies from Canada to give to some of the friendly staff and vendors we met.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view, but the higher the floor, the better the view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Riu which was the first time I've ever been to Mexico.The room we had on the fifth floor was large with a king bed and double sink in the bathroom. It was very modern and clean. The view was spectacular which was west facing so we could watch the sunset over the ocean every night from our patio. The staff were very friendly and a lot of fun. Service was excellent. I enjoyed the food a lot and selection was very expansive. Desserts which were mostly bland and gelatin-based, so if you're a big dessert buff you may be disappointed. I was also surprised at the lack of fruit selection as well, though what they did have was very good (pineapple, papaya, and melons seemed to be the recurring staples there). Drinks were awesome, and as a Canadian I was very impressed at how well they make Caesars. The pools were very lovely (but cold!!), though the pool bar got a bit nasty on busier days. I was also disappointed that there was no hot tub. The beaches were very clean, though the tide is very strong and probably not the best swimming for young kids or weaker swimmers. It seemed more like an adult resort as there weren't as many families and young people there as I thought there would be. Most of the guests were Canadian which also surprised me a little too. They do have free Wi-fi there for 90 minutes a day though you can only access it from the hotel lobby. Overall, it was a terrific holiday and a beautiful hotel worth going to!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed here from Feb 1st to 8th, 2013. I've stayed at 3 all-inclusives in Central America so far and this one is my least favorite by far.

The Riu is, in a word, gaudy. It's probably the largest hotel I've ever stayed in and probably the largest I've even seen. I guess its rather imposing expanse is just not my style. It seems to rise up from an area that is otherwise sort of bland in terms of scenery- and because of this, the whole experience at the Riu "paradise" seems very contrived. Mind you, I can't go to an all-inclusive and expect anything natural, but the Riu was just so over the top, I felt very uncomfortable. The main lobby areas are ridiculously huge and out-dated. Restaurants were also huge with high ceilings and it was very difficult to maintain a nice intimate dinner conversation over the loud hollow noises all around us.

The food was simply not what I expected. Sure, there was lots of it with a few tasty dishes here and there, but it was very hard to find true Mexican-like food with any real taste, since the Riu seems to cater very much to what they believe American/Canadian tourists want. I don't really care to see burgers and fries- I can get that at home. The desserts were beautiful but that's where it ended...they were actually shockingly tasteless! And the alcoholic drinks seemed VERY watered down.

Rooms were tidy and fairly nice- but certainly not 5-star. Cleaning staff only pushed the dirt around on the floors each morning. And the TV did not have a remote.

Pools consistently had oil-slicks on the surface and the water itself actually felt noticeably greasy! Never set foot in the cloudy bar pool as my party realized early on that no one ever seemed to actually leave the pool when nature calls even after many hours of drinking! Doesn't lead me to think it is a very clean pool to swim around in :-)

Internet is only free in the lobby- and you are limited to only 90 mins per day. If you log on once for only 1 or 2 minutes or so and then log off again, you are done for the day despite not using up your entire 90 mins. Made it difficult to get those annoyingly unavoidable and necessary things done back home through the net. Yeah- I know, I was on vacation, but much as I'd like to have otherwise, life still goes on at home!

Night shows were for the most part pretty fun, but they really need to lower the volumes of their mics and their music!!!!! It's hard to sit back and enjoy when your ears are hurting (and we were at the back of the audience most times). Speakers on mics can simply not be heard well because of how loud the mics were set.

Out-trip offerings were rather bland compared to other Mexican areas, but this is certainly not the fault of the hotel rather a result of the rather bland area in and around Mazatlan. Don't even waste your time/money trying to snorkel- there's nothing to be seen!

The only saving grace would be the staff- they are wonderful all around. And also the spa- I recommend the spa at the hotel.

Overall, I won't bother going back. There are much nicer, more intimate hotels out there for the same price.

Penticton, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Riu is really clean, their buffet food is varied and well prepared, and their staff is really helpful. The grounds are spotless, the pools are well taken care of, and the building is really well maintained. There's a great kids' program, but there's enough space that you can simply go off by yourself and have an absolutely quiet vacation. My room was always clean, the mini-bar was always stocked, and the sound of the surf from my 6-floor balcony was entrancing. There's a massage/spa attached to the hotel and the masseuse is thorough but pricey - a few days later, I got a massage as good in the tent on beach in front of the hotel for less than half the price. This is a great place for a single traveler, a couple, or a family, and I'd go back to the Riu in a hearbeat.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the sixth floor or above.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!