“Relaxing week!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #15 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Edmonton
“Relaxing week!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We've just returned from a lovely week at the RIU Emerald Bay. It was a packaged holiday and check-in of the many arriving guests was very fast and efficient. The rooms are all ocean view, a nice size, tastefully decorated, include a safe, a mini bar with beer and soft drinks, and a liquor dispenser with rum, vodka, gin and tequila. The food in the buffet was very good and we really enjoyed both the Bamboo and Tabasco restaurants. You could get premium liquor brands which was nice but the wine was not our taste, it was exceptionally sweet. The pools were warmer than many other places we've been to and there were plenty of lounge chairs, never a problem to get a chair in the afternoon. As other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel gets busy on the weekends and the elevators are slow but we never had to wait longer than 5 minutes so we didn't find it much of a problem.

1,679 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My husband and I had a great vacation at the Riu Emerald Bay, Mazatlan in November 2012. Super fast check in and the rooms are very nice. (double sinks in the bathrooms) The front desk phoned as soon as we were in the room to ask if we needed anything. The food was great at the buffets. Don't bother with the specialty restaurants except "Bamboo". This resort is family friendly, however as a couple we were very happy with it too. The highlight was a deep sea fishing trip my husband went on with 2 other guys from the resort. They caught 9 sail fish.(8 feet long) It is very unusual to catch so many and they were thrilled. This trip was arranged by the Sunwing representative in the lobby of the hotel. We highly recommend booking through them when you get there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My cousin and i did a guys trip down to Rui Emerald Bay in November and it was awesome!!! we arrived to the resort with our whole plane going to the same resort and when we got there they had all our stuff ready and there was very little wait!!! the elevator is about the only downfall of the trip other than a incident that happened off the resort to us. Memo the bartender was my brother from another mother, make sure to visit him in the lobby bar and tip him good! the swim up bar was the hangout of the day for us and the bartenders there were great! while we were there it was a holiday in mexico so there was a lot of locals at the resort which at times was frustrating but it was very neat to hang out with them when you weren't trying to get food. We had a incident in town one night and we didnt know you cant drink out of a cab but you can in a cab so please remember that or you could end up going with the police or what we did was pay them off hahaha...learnt our lesson that's for sure. we tipped every day for our room and it looked awesome!!! if your looking for a AWESOME massage dont get it at the resort and instead leave the resort head to the left about 5 mins down the road and theres a strip mall with a amazing coffee shop, massage parlor and amazing seafood restaurant around the corner! Overall our trip was awesome. We made some great friends and have a lot of fun along the way.
TOTALLY RECOMMEND THE RUI EMERALD BAY!!!!

Chilliwack, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I as well as sister and friend all went to the Riu Emerald Bay November 2012. The weather was nice. The grounds and views were very nice. The sand on the beach was nice. The food was plentiful and drinks overflowing. The service was nice and really did go out of their way several times to make you feel special and priviledged.

I had read reviews about some complaints such as too many locals, slow and limited elevators and vendors on the beach. All those issues were in fact very true. They did not bother me so much though. The one issue I had was the City Tour. They take you around to high priced stores where vendors pressure you to buy their products. Then you are taken to the cliff divers and are almost forced to pay the divers. One couple on the tour refused to pay the divers and they harassed us and followed us back to the bus and were yelling at the tourists saying that they do not work for free. It was the worst part of my trip by far.

Overall the hotel was nice. We only paid $900 for a week, all inclusive, air and hotel and taxes. If I was to pay 5 star prices I would have actually been disappointed but because I did not expect too much, I was happy overall with my vacation. I would not go back however as I was not overlly impressed.

Room Tip: All rooms face ocean. Higher rooms take longer on the slow elevators. They seem to place locals on t...
Cumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Four of us travelled 2-16 Nov to the Rui. The price was right and as the saying goes you get what you pay for.
Check in was great no delays.

Room was very nice, clean and an awesome view of the ocean. All rooms have ocean view. We were on the 7th floor you can hear the noise from the pools or weddings, but it was not that bad.

Cannot say enough about the staff, from the front desk and everyone in between down to the towel man they were all very helpful, friendly and courtesy. If you go to this Riu, ask for Pedro at the main breakfast buffet, he is awesome and Memo at the lobby bar is great.

The buffets, although repetative, the food at the buffets was ok, could always find something to eat.

The al a cartes where very disappointing, they to are also buffet style, the Italian, the only thing Italian was the ceasar salad. The Mexican we didn't try but again it was buffet style, the Asian again was buttet, the food was ok we went three times just to get a break from the regular buffet. We were told that the reason the al a cartes are buffet style is because the Mexican's prefer buffets.

That said, we we overwhelmed by the number of Mexican's that showed up every Thursday to Sunday, the noise level went from 3 to 10 in no time. Thats not saying that the Canadians were quiet well at least not the couple who where in the room above us, they would scream and fight almost every night when they got back from the bars/disco.....I hope she gave him back his ring because he sure sounded like a real jerk. I woke up one night and heard doors slamming and screaming, thought I was in one of those prison reality shows.

Yes the elevators are a little slow, but not as slow as what we expected from reading other reviews.

The pools were all clean with the exception of the swim up pool which was disgusting, I would not put my dog in it it was so bad.

The beach was awesome sand and waves as far as you can see.

The nightly entertainment was ok, typical of most if not all AI.

Yes the bee's are bad, not sure why they don't hang up those beehive thingys that distract bees, it might help.

Will we go back, I don't think so, will we try another Riu, maybe. If your looking for a quiet relaxing place this is not the place. I would agree this is not a 5 star, at best maybe 4

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor, great view. We did go up to the 22nd floor the view was awesome, but wa...
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at the riu for a week this November and loved it. We set our expectations low and were pleasantly surprised. The staff were excellent and friendly, the food was good with plenty of variety and the drinks were great, we loved the 'mazatlans'. We arrived on a Friday and yes there were a lot of Mexicans, we're in Mexico! I don't see how anyone can complain about people having a good time in their own country and don't forget that not all of Mexico is on the beach.
Yes there were a lot of kids but we loved watching them play and they were a lot better to be around than the drunk Canadians in the bar pool, but thats just me.
Make sure you go to the market in Old Mazatlan it is something else, and the people there are very nice! I never once felt unsafe during my vacation.
If your easygoing and just want to have a good time in the sun I highly recommend this hotel, and screw the restaurant up the beach, the food at Riu is just as good and free.

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean view, the lower floors are better if you dont mind noise from the pools.
Chilliwack, B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was my 3rd time to this resort and have enjoyed each visit. Yes the place is full over the weekend with locals, but we love watching the kids play and having fun. It seemed too quiet Mon - Thursday. I must mention that I don;t think the food was as good this time, had one lunch that the meat was so over cooked it has not edible. But that was only one meal, there is usually always a great selection. The pools were clean except the swimup bar pool, alot of dirt and bugs in this pool. The only problem we encountered, which they can't control was the amount of bee's around the bars. Second time there at this time of the year, no bees last time, on scary to us because my friend is highly allergic. Went to Mr Lionso's 3 times this time, we love that restaurant. All in all our trip was very enjoyable. Stayed on the 14th floor and the view was amazing. No trouble with the elevators this time. Will definitely go back again, I agree with previous posting, if you don;t want to holiday with Mexican's go elsewhere.
BonnieP

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!