“Warning - just got back and was dissappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #15 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Warning - just got back and was dissappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Warning. Not like the rest of the RIU’s I have visited. I went from Oct. 24th – 29th and was disappointed. Tourism is down due to Cruise Ships stopped coming and the Canadian’s boycotted the hotel so they must to do a local promotion because on Thursday through Sunday, local people buss in and over run the hotel. Four nice pools, with kids in everyone of them, some with bathing suit and others in plain clothes, all pools are like bar pool with smoking in them, straws floating around, no class. Be prepared for people who don’t recognize a line, they just cut right in front of each other. Two, other disappointments were that Bar tenders didn’t speak English well enough to know cranberry and there were no runner bring drinks to customers. Good things were: Hotel Staff was courteous, bed were soft for Mexico, HVAC worked, food was good. My wife and I are in our forties and like to party as well as relax, so this warning isn’t coming from an uptight traveler. I have visited RIU’s in Bahamas and Puerto Vallarta. I will go back to those locations but will not return to Mazatlan. For the same monies I could have went to Cabo and maybe you should consider that too. Remember, Weds we arrived very quiet, Thursday – Sunday was 1500 people at hotel and only 8 were American, Monday back to quiet. Be well and safe in your travels.

Room Tip: Cleaniness was low because of Pool management and hotel not having any rules. I would recommend 2nd...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

1,680 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

This place is like an up scale Holliday inn. But all inclusive. The only beer they serve is dosXX draught. Unless they put something else in the room mini bar. The mini bar has the cheapest selection ever the only decent liquor was Jose Cuervo and even that's cheap. The other were blue ice gin, spiced rum, and vodka which tasted horrible. All the "inclusive" food as ok but nothing great. At any given time you can hear people either in the room above or next door having sex. Kids running around. Elevators are always slow on my check out date it took me 23min. To catch an elevators suuuupppper slow. Mini bar is refilled every 2days I stayed 5days and it was never refilled. I asked if they could refill and said yes but never was. I also needed to exchange US dollars for Mexican currency. I went to the front desk and was told they didn't do currency exchange I asked why do they do Canadian currency. (there a sign posted on reception desk) she said don't know. Which I respond how is Canadian currency better than US? Overall won't stay there again. Try CID or don quijote

• Stayed September 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

A beautiful property with amazing views. And a wonderfully helpful friendly staff! Remember the resort is all inclusive. So I wouldn't expect to find Grey goose or Don Julio at the bars.The food in the restaurants was fine but in the evening instead of the buffets or specialty rooms we would walk or take a cab to the Playa Bruja seafood restaurant.just about a half mile down the beach.The food and service there was well worth spending the money even if food at the hotel is free. we also bought our excursions at the playa bruja rest from a gentleman named "Skipo".He actually accompanied us on the zipline tour that we bought from him.The ziplines were the best part of our trip!! We are already looking forward to returning next year. We plan to stay at the RIU next year again! One tip I have is leave your cash in the bank. and take out pesos. when you arrive in Mexico. Most vendors want to convert at 10 pesos for a dollar when the true rate is 13 to 1. so pay with peso and you will get more bang for the buck.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I spent the day here as part of a fund raise for a local charity.
We arrived just after 9am and had a buffet style breakfast in La Islas Restaurant.
This dining room was extremely busy but this in no way affected the efficiency of the staff.
The choice of food was good with plenty of variety.

Outside the pool areas were big with plenty of loungers and parasols.
I have to confess we spent most of our time in the Playa Bruja swim up bar.

Lunch was served in a different restaurant and again the choice was wide and varied.
Steer clear of the white wine as it's awful.
The red wine was marginally better.

Lunch over it was back to the pool bar until it was time for us to leave.

Our day out at the Riu definitely represented value for money and I'm sure we'll be repeating the experience.

Room Tip: As we were only day visitors we didn't see the rooms but we do know from friends who have stayed...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pueblo West, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great views, staff was exceptional (especially the pool bar staff). Food in the buffet was better than some buffets and the restaurants were "okay." The restaurants require reservations and you are only allowed so many depending on how long you stay. One night you have to walk up the beach to the seafood restaurant! Simply amazing, great music, excellent food and a great atmosphere. I would have probably given this place 5 stars had they kept children out of the adult pool.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was my very first trip to Mexico and I absolutely loved it and I was completely blown away by the beauty of the hotel. The entire place is super clean (except for the drink station outside with all the wasps), and the pool area was gorgeous.
The food = AMAZING. Especially the breakfast buffet. the beach was beautifully well kept, with staff walking around asking you if you want drinks. Very friendly bar tenders everywhere.
Down side, the entertainment wasn't very... entertaining, but its not that big of a deal.
I would recommend the stone island tour: drive through the city, there and back to the hotel, ferry ride (saw some seals!) and horse back riding on the beach and banana boating. Also got to each lunch at an authentic little Mexican restaurant which was so so good. This entire package for 35$!! Well worth your money
I would definitely come back here

Room Tip: They are all ocean view so you cannot really go wrong!! Perhaps choose a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Bastrop, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Mazatlan, Mexico for our vacation. We have never been to Mazatlan before and I can say WE WILL GO BACK!!! We strayed at the Riu Emerald Bay and everything was wonderful. The pool with the swim up bar was wonderful as were the bartenders. All staff at the Riu were wonderful and attentive. We made wonderful new friends from all over the world.

We walked down the beach and ate Lobster and Shrimp at Mr. Lionso's Restaurant and it was so good and very inexpensive.

We booked a fishing trip through a local. Captain Julio and deck hand Alex truly knew what they were doing. We caught many Mahi Mahi and had the best Fishing Trip of our lives. Thank You Captain Julio and Alex.

We went into town, Pueblo Bonita and had massages and they were the best ever for $12.50 for an hour - Unbelievable!

The trip was Fantastic and we will surely return

On a previous post I had worried about the hotel being full of children - undoubtedly we picked the right time of the year to travel because there were only a few families and I have to say the hotel security was great about keeping the children out of the adult swim-up bar/pool. Thanks for doing that!

I am posting some pictures and if anyone is interested in the fishing email me and I will give you contact information.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor and did not have any problems with the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!