“Beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was my very first trip to Mexico and I absolutely loved it and I was completely blown away by the beauty of the hotel. The entire place is super clean (except for the drink station outside with all the wasps), and the pool area was gorgeous.
The food = AMAZING. Especially the breakfast buffet. the beach was beautifully well kept, with staff walking around asking you if you want drinks. Very friendly bar tenders everywhere.
Down side, the entertainment wasn't very... entertaining, but its not that big of a deal.
I would recommend the stone island tour: drive through the city, there and back to the hotel, ferry ride (saw some seals!) and horse back riding on the beach and banana boating. Also got to each lunch at an authentic little Mexican restaurant which was so so good. This entire package for 35$!! Well worth your money
I would definitely come back here

Room Tip: They are all ocean view so you cannot really go wrong!! Perhaps choose a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
Rockport, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Mazatlan, Mexico for our vacation. We have never been to Mazatlan before and I can say WE WILL GO BACK!!! We strayed at the Riu Emerald Bay and everything was wonderful. The pool with the swim up bar was wonderful as were the bartenders. All staff at the Riu were wonderful and attentive. We made wonderful new friends from all over the world.

We walked down the beach and ate Lobster and Shrimp at Mr. Lionso's Restaurant and it was so good and very inexpensive.

We booked a fishing trip through a local. Captain Julio and deck hand Alex truly knew what they were doing. We caught many Mahi Mahi and had the best Fishing Trip of our lives. Thank You Captain Julio and Alex.

We went into town, Pueblo Bonita and had massages and they were the best ever for $12.50 for an hour - Unbelievable!

The trip was Fantastic and we will surely return

On a previous post I had worried about the hotel being full of children - undoubtedly we picked the right time of the year to travel because there were only a few families and I have to say the hotel security was great about keeping the children out of the adult swim-up bar/pool. Thanks for doing that!

I am posting some pictures and if anyone is interested in the fishing email me and I will give you contact information.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor and did not have any problems with the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Colbert, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We had prepared ourselves to arrive with low expectations and we were surprised!

Hotel: gorgeous building, newer and check in was fast. Didn't like that we had to wear bracelets (normally we stay at Dreams resorts where they don't make u wear them). Room was 1013 and I'd say it was perfect, great view yet not too far up.

Beach: very pretty, wonderful to walk...could find shells in the morning, too rough for myself to enjoy (not a good swimmer) but husband enjoyed it. They had boogie boards to rent and surf boards but apparently we couldnt take the surfboards out...a bummer as they had them, almost a tease. Sand is very hot!

Massages: Weve had many massages, especially in Mexico. On this trip I had experienced my best massage and worst massage ever. Massage through RIU was horrible...only paid 300 pesos but it was so light and off and on...almost like she was too tired. The Positive: we went into town and experienced the best massages of our lives! The place was called Matay and the massages were only $12.50 us or 150 pesos for a 1 hour massage! This was the best massage I've ever had! They even used hot stones. Had I known about this place earlier I would have booked 4 hours! Going into town is only 7 pesos each on the bus.

Restaurants/food: this was by far the biggest disappointment. They advertise they have 4 different restaurants but what they don't say is all but one is buffet style. Tabasco is the only one you can order off the menu and it is very limited. Not only that but it's buffet every night, except every 3rd night they would have a restaurant open. I guess we were spoiled at Dreams where all restaurants are where you order off the menu plus have a ton of variety! Buffets were good but got very old after day 4. They put the same stuff out for lunch and dinner. All lunches are buffet style as well. Breakfast was the better meal with much variety.

Activities: same activities every day, same hour...but not consistent. Some days we would be waiting to play volleyball but would see no staff to make it happen. What you have to do is track hem down and make it happen. Also, they tell ou that you win prizes and to collect them in the show later...Nope. We noticed some people got prizes and most didn't. We won 4 events and received a prize once but you do get a certificate. I think they should say certificate instead of prize, then peoples hopes aren't up.

Shows/Entertainment: Mediocre, we've seen a ton of shows in Mexico...these are decent and at least give you something to do. Shows are very late...930, would be better earlier. Never went to the disco cuz we were always too bored to stay up and wait.

Bars: Service is great. Our favorites are Antonio in the pool bar and Memo. Don't expect to be waited on in the pool area or anywhere cuz it won't happen. I can't believe they don't have someone walking around doing this! Drinks were just ok...their cranberry juice tastes odd. Ask for doubles, everyone is trained to make them weak.

Shopping: They have many vendors on the beach...you really have to run to get away. They don't give up. They will even try to sell you drugs on the beach. Head to town for more variety as the beach has a limited variety.

Rooms/room service: room service is excellent! Rooms are small but nice. Safe in room and liquor dispenser. It would be nice if they had juice to go with the dispenser.

Ride from airport: 35 minutes to resort. 440 pesos to resort, 380 pesos on the way back in a taxi. Tip: book ahead and use King David's to save money...must bookm2 days in advance to use them...but you will save money!

Towels: Here they make you have a towel card...if you lose your towel it's $20 us. Lucky us had our towel stolen! Watch our towels. We turned our head for 5 min and it was gone...the one time we let our guard down. Oh well.

Elevators: not as bad as we heard. We just tried not using them often, only a pole times had to wait.

Locals: lots of locals! We knew this going and didn't bother us until we had a local pick up our bag and try to take it. The same day there was another group watching our stuff and pointing. We fel like we could never leave our stuff alone...not fun to have to feel like u can't watch your stuff, especially on vacation. We heard of other Americans missing items. I truly feel they only targeted Americans.

Overall: Every night it rained and thundered but by 10 am it cleared up and was very nice. This was the most humid vacation we've ever been on, more so then Huatulco, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, etc. loved the extreme heat. Bring a ton of sun block. $22 in gift shop. We would go back but for a super great deal! Will try the RIU Palaces next time...heard they are better.

Room Tip: Pick floor 10 or higher
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I haven't gotten around to reviewing our vacation back in march 2012 until now. My husband and I stayed in a beautiful ocean-view room on the 9th floor. The room was very clean, and was cleaned every day and left spotless for us when we arrived back in the room in the afternoon. It was a cheap little getaway when it was cold in Canada.

The food was pretty good, there was a little bit of everything at the Buffet. But the food was a bit bland and repetitive. You could always find something to eat, though! The beach was beautiful, but the air by the sea smelled a bit funny...I'll leave it at that. The outside pools and garden area around the pools is just fantastic! We spent most of our time there. You can always find a pool that is not too crowded. The swim-up bar pool is always the most full. The pool area was also kept so clean! We couldn't believe how often the staff were coming around to collect cups and garbage.

It was a little difficult to book a reservation at the restaurants. We somehow ended up getting into all 3 though. The Mexican restaurant was good. The steak in the steakhouse was very tasty! (Although our night was the last night of the Steakhouse until November 2012 I believe...not sure why they took the steakhouse out.) And the Japanese restaurant was pretty good. Sushi wasn't great, but the other options were good.

Bottom line, if you get a good deal on a trip to this resort, take it! It'll be worth it.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the "oceanview" room. All of the rooms are ocean-view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

i was told, "Delbin we are taking you on a surprise vacation for your 20th birthday" & i didnt have ANY idea where i was going, all i knew is i wanted to get out of the USA, lol, when we got to MEXICO, i was like "Oh my god" i was not happy until i got to this resort, as soon as i came in i was greeted, treated like a king, i was like "YES" , the customer service is amazing, we had a little problem with our rooms but they fixed it right away and got us different rooms, we was happy, really nice pool/ocean view, this resort is HUGE, the pools are HUGE, the bars are AMAZING, and the restaurants are GREAT, you have alot of food and different cultures to choose from, my trip was amazing and i thank the staff that made it great with such great personalities, this is a resort i will love to come back too.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Santa Fe, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We went there for a girls weekend. Just what the doctor ordered. A lot of young children and families there, too - so its not just for the spring break crowd. Food got a bit repetitive. Although a short walk away, there is a great coffee place. As other reviewers mentioned, the wine at this hotel is to be avoided. From what I remember, we had fun.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel is a 5 star, the food was outstanding, the room was clean and very large and beautiful view of the ocean from our room. Do not travel here during Summer holidays as the hotel is over run by Mexicans on vacation. They are not at all like Canadians. They wont let you exit the elevator before crowding on and crushing you. They are very rude and abrupt. I would not have believed it !, except for the fact that I saw this with my own eyes. Stay out of the town of Mazatlan as it is very dangerous. We made the mistake of taking a bus into town. While we shopped at the local mall. Mexican police in swat gear searched the mall for suspected drug dealers who the evening before shot and killed 5 officers.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!