“Amazing empty property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Winnipeg, Canada
“Amazing empty property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

the resort is new and big and beautiful..the staff are great but could use a little more polish..they try but the place according to the staff has been running below 30% occupancy for some time now..a little different from other properties we have been to..we walked in and felt like we were the only ones here..they only use half of the buffet space as there are only a few of us here..the staff get a little bored and certainly their tips are way down due to the lack of people so it is tough for them to stay overly bubbly but they still do a great job..no rush for pool loungers as most of them remain unused through the day..they are quick to say that it is sad so many tourists feel unsafe and do not come here as the only trouble here has been between the drug dealers themselves..i'm from winnipeg, manitoba and there are places in my small canadian city that i stay away from as well due to gang related violence..but i still would say it's a safe place even though it's the murder capital of canada..we are here till jan 30, so if you have a question email me and i will try to answer it for you..hot during the day and around 15 at night..

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean view. if you paid for ocean view over the regular room you will be higher up wit...
Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

The Arrival and Departure

The estimated five hour flight, back and forth, was uncomfortable. Check in was a breeze. Check out, however, was “kinda” “Ghetto” --People formed a long line in the lobby. Right before boarding the bus, a short bald guy walked around with a pair of scissors, to cut off our resort wrist bands. Mazatlan Airport offers little. No real food. You may buy booze and cigarettes while waiting for the flight—but that’s about it.

The Room

The Room had a stacked bar, a fridge, modern safe, modern TV, iron, ironing board, and long distance calling from your room. No coffee maker, nor was the hotel able to provide one. We had two maintenance problems and both times they sent someone up right away to resolve the issue. We found tiny fire ants, (mostly in the bathroom)-but these ants did not bother us. Be careful when getting out of the shower as the bath tub is deep. The maids do a good job cleaning. Overall the room was nice and the view from the balcony beautiful.

The Food

The food sucked—sorry this is how I feel. The buffet was unimaginative. McDonalds offers a more enjoyable menu. 2/3 specialty restaurants were poor. The Asian restaurant was good. For real food walk up the beach towards the restaurant by the rocks. (2 for 1 Coronas here, awesome food, awesome environment)

The Beach and Pool

The beach was awesome. The ocean is more for bathing and enjoying the waves vs. swimming. On the beach there was a lot of room to lie down and read a good book. The pools are proper. The pool bar, however, was over crowded with people smoking in it. But you have four pools to choose from. There is no hot tub on this resort-(unless you buy the spa package).

The Overall Resort

Overall this resort is nice. The beer was not Corona; however the beer, like Canadian beer was clean and crisp. The sports bar has NFL football on its TV screen-guess how I spent my Sunday afternoon on the resort? The convenience store on the resort will rip you off on the American exchange rate—so I would suggest carrying both Pesos and American dollars. They have a Jewelry store on the resort. (Silver is cheap in Mexico- they also have some excursions that will take you places to find cheap silver)
Some negatives: Buzzing bees that bother you and get into the lunch buffet: Locals- they mostly keep to themselves, but I did notice they did not tip (as a Canadian I always tipped though): The elevators were overcrowded, so if you get a lower floor, you may take the stairs once in a while. The entertainment-caters towards Mexicans, however, I went to bed early and rose early-Mazatlan gets darks real early

Overall

Overall this is the spot to go if you want a week of relaxation and a comfortable environment.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012 via mobile

rather than cover topics already well done, I'll stay on this one. the food is well prepared for the masses of people on an unrestricted diet but for those of us who are diabetic, there has been nothing done to make us feel special. Nary a dessert but fruit, no tomato or unsweetened juice, only Pepsi lite, water, coffee or tea. the peanut butter is sweetened, and the sweeteners are saccharine. We can certainly make do with the food but it would be nice to have some consideration for us, a full 10 percent of the population.

• Stayed January 2012
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed at RIU from Dec 20 - Dec 27th, 2011. Travelled with 2 small children. Check-in at 2 AM was fast, first room was on the 2nd floor right above the Disco. We could hear the chairs scratching the floors all night long. We called the reception and by 11 AM we had been assigned to another room with an extra bed in a higher floor. Great customer service!
Food was good. Tried all 3 restaurants; the steak house was the best for us. The Christmas Dinner was fabulous, very fancy dishes and lots of seafood. Everyone was all dressed up. Santa came to the hotel and gave each child gifts; hat, backpack, candy, etc. They had one evening the dinner on the beach with a grat bonfire and live music. On another day they brought a truck full of coconuts they opened right there for you (with and without alcohol). On the checkout day, they stored our luggage safely in a room. There are showers and change rooms too. The pub was great and small children were allowed to play air hockey and pool. It was a great hotel with great service and food.

The only downside was the weather. It was so COLD !! we had to wear sweaters and pants to go to breakfast. Very windy. The pool was frozen cold the ocean colder than PEI, Canada. Had to put on a towel when the sun was under a cloud. It did warm up during the afternoon, but nothing like we were hoping.

We would definitely go back, but not in the winter. In warmer months for sure.

Room Tip: Avoid 2nd floor right above Disco
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Considering the price of the hotel, we were expecting a very nice place. However, many aspects of the hotel were not that good. Nothing was awful, but nothing was extraordinary either. The food was bland, the service lacking, the room was ok but nothing special, and there were no palapas or umbrellas in the beach.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
british columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I took my family for a winter vacation. We stayed at this all inclusive Dec 30, 2011 for a week.
The food and accomodation was very good. We had the opportunity to do 2 tours. For both of them we had JUAN ANTONIO (Chili Wili) as a tour guide. The city tour was great ...we saw the divers, that was AMAZING. The 2nd tour was to a small village 'La Noria'. We saw leather goods and pottery being made. People are so talented! It's amazing how quickly they work.
I would definitely go back to Mazatlan. However, I would like to stay in town. I like going to the market and mixing with the locals in the stores, cafes, etc. The Riu was a little too far out for me.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

The general consensus of the reviews I read before I left had me really worried for the experience we were about to have. I just returned from a week long stay at the Riu. I had heard very wonderful things about other Riu's so we thought we would give Mazatlan a try.

The transfer process and check-in was totally seamless and unbelievable. We were very impressed. We got off the plane and were on the transfer bus with our wristbands in less than 30 minutes. The transfer to the hotel was about 45 minutes. Once we arrived at the hotel there was a whole group of staff ready to meet us. I had already had a cocktail and a tequila shot a minute and a half into the hotel. They had your towel cards and room keys laid out ready for pick up. We were on our way to check out the room. The room was very very clean and nice. It had tonnes of storage space and hangers. The Bathroom had a double snk which was a nice touch. The view (9th floor) was breath taking.

The restaurants were impecable and there was lots of variety. I will say that this was one area that was lacking was the quality of the items. I am not a fussy eater yet by the end of the week I was craving something different. We tried all 3 A'la Carte restaurants and were not blown away like we were expecting from a 5 Star experience.

I will say that the evenings left a lot to be desired. The entertainment was mediocre. As well the timing for the activities was off. The evening entertainment started at 9:00pm and the Disco didn't open until 11:00pm. I would have like to see an evening activity (dancing) etc start earlier. The resort very much dictated what time you were going to do activities etc. We tended to stay on resort because the cab was $12.00 each way and it seemed that the Golden Zone was lacking evening activity as well.

I have done many all inclusive trips and this resort lacked some personality and character. Generally speaking the last few resorts I've been to you get to know the staff the staff get's to know you making it more enjoyable. This trip I at times felt some of the staff was irritated to be there. In particular the lobby bar in the evening.

There were some locals that came in for the weekend and I will say they were not at all like other reviews had expressed. The children were well behaved and polite so were the parents. I found the Canadian tourists (I am Canadian) to be loud and ignorant! I am appauled at the lack of please's and thank you's and the demanding!

Lastly the elevator was not an issue at all!

All and all a beautiful resort with no personality and not much to do in the evening.

Room Tip: All rooms are Oceanfront! No need to spend the extra money for an ocean front room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!