“Just got back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Emerald Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Sabalo-Cerritos #3404 zona costera cerritos | Nuevo Mazatlán - Sinaloa, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Toronto
“Just got back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I was looking for a last min deal and found it. Dos XX beer in room and also the draught at the bars. The most interesting man could not be found though. Its not in the best location although Mazatlan is not very developed. Very safe to me. They have a the beach roped off so vendors dont pestor you unless you cross the rope.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. Your on vacation you can actually go to the ocean and view it from the bea...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
coquitlam canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

All the rooms are pretty much ocean view. There are some incredible sunsets to see from your patio. The hotel is super clean and looks fantastic.The biggest issue with this hotel is the elevators. There simply is not enough of them and it was frustrating waiting for one.The Gym opens at 7:00am and for me and about a half a dozen other people that was too late, but everything els was good.The buffet food was decent for an all inclusive, one of the best ones we have had. Seafood night was awesome with tons of tasty shrimp and fish etc. We did not go to any of the ala carte restraunts because we tried the steak house last year and it was terrible. The beach is beautiful and when the tide is out it is that much more beautiful. The staff were nice and we did not have any issues. I did overhear some others talking about a issue with no running water in their room.There was no staff serving you on the beach but that is not a probelm with us, they did have a self serve beer keg and soft drinks. There were some bartenders who did not know waht "bitters" was but I got by. We only went to one show and it was Grease,it was pretty good. I would go back to this hotel for the beach and the buffet and the sunset views. There were a couple of outstanding waiters in the buffet as well.

Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This was the most awesome place to be. We had a family trip of 12 people and everyone enjoyed their selves. Beatiful pools with shade or sun, whatever you wanted. Tons of pool chairs. Beautiful beach area and nice and shallow. All rooms ocean veiw for one price. Very clean hotel. Service was excellent if you needed anything. Buffet were very good. Lots of variety. Ala carte was amazing. Beautiful gym and hot tubs. Very private. Bartenders very efficent and friendly.
Nice shopping area down from the beach. 10 min. walk. Coffee and free internet. Reasonable massages, 1 hr. long.

Room Tip: 12 people went on this trip. all had good rooms
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Cambridge, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I recently returned from 2 weeks at the Riu Emerald Bay in Mazatlan. I have never written a review before but felt compelled to this time. We have stayed at various Riu’s about 10 times, so we were familiar with what this chain is all about. They are predictable but comfortable. Although this hotel is beautiful (minus the huge crack mentioned in another review), there were a few surprises and not all were pleasant.
The Room: smallish, but ok. The nice surprise was that it actually had a king size bed, not 2 doubles pushed together. You probably will want to ask for more pillows!
Housekeeping: We seldom saw the maid, but when we did, we would tip her. When we did have the opportunity to tip, the room generally was left less than clean or there were towels or drink glasses missing. Tipping would normally get you “extras” like towel art or flowers. Here, this only happened our first night and was gone the next day. Not a big deal, but it’s not living up to the Riu’s advertising that it’s the small details that count.
Mini-Bar: Riu’s generally restock the mini-bar every other day. Here, we had to constantly call the front desk to have water and beer replenished. On the plus side, once we called, it was done immediately without question. We would tip the guy, but maybe that was why he didn’t restock until we called. It was a little annoying but not the end of the world.
The Food and Wait Staff: On our arrival it was late Tuesday night, around 9pm. The main buffet is open till 10, so we had time to get something to eat. We were greeted cordially; seated, watered, wined, etc. (By the way, the wine is horrible!) Pretty attentive. Wednesday and Thursday for breakfast & supper was much the same. Come Friday, wholly cow!!! It got so busy and crowded, none of the waiters even made eye contact with you; it was pretty much fend for yourself. This is with the exception of Pepi – he was excellent, ran circles around the other wait-staff. The food at the buffet for the first few days was as expected for a Riu. However, it got worse on the weekends, and also, it seemed, whenever the “big boss” wasn’t around. To give an example, on Monday (after the crazy, busy weekend), they had a customer appreciation night at the main buffet. The big boss and other managers were at the buffet entrance to greet you, women were given carnations, we were seated, watered, and wined once again (back to normal?). The food had marginally improved, but then got worse again the next day when the boss wasn’t there. It was like nobody cared. The cooks at the cooking stations on the buffet looked miserable, as if they wished they were elsewhere. The mashed potatoes were like glue – they wouldn’t even come off the serving spoon - all of the meat, whether it was chicken, pork, or beef, was way overcooked, cold, and tough.
At other Riu’s, the food is predictable but it’s very good. And they have theme nights – Mexican, Italian, or Thanksgiving or Christmas, or display cooking stations, etc. At Emerald Bay it seemed to be all out there all of the time and none of it very good. One night, off to one side there was a whole roasted turkey on display and it looked quite good. I asked the cook for some, and he went to the side got some that was previously carved and sitting there for who knows how long. As expected, it was cold, dry, and tough. I wonder if the display turkey was carved up and used for the following night. Same situation happened with my husband and the roast pork, but not only was it cold, dry, and tough, it was so salty that neither of us could eat it.
The last week we were there, we didn’t eat at the buffet for supper. The hotel has 3 “al a carte” restaurants. The Asian we tried the first week – I wasn’t feeling well after eating there; The Steak House (which was the lunch buffet during the day) we also tried during the first week– the steak was so tough we couldn’t eat it and the wait-staff here were the worst. One waiter who worked the lower section during the day did a real good job of hiding half the time and trying to look busy without doing anything the other half. Then there was the Mexican restaurant which was the better of the 3 – they had the best steak. We went there once in our first week and then again in our second week there.
The best food without a doubt was not at the hotel. In other reviews, people have mentioned Mr. Lionso’s, which is a short walk up the beach (go right). They had the best lobster, shrimp, margarita’s, and at decent prices. One time I had a lobster tail and 6 shrimp combo – complete meal with rice and veggies, etc, and it was only 220 pesos. Another time my husband and I split a seafood cocktail and something they called the Aztec bowl. It was more than we could eat. I can’t remember exactly what it cost, but it wasn’t very much. If you go up to the strip mall beyond Mr. Lionso’s, there are a few more restaurants – Camel’s – they serve a decent breakfast, and Roy’s – also mentioned in other reviews. They have nightly specials. One night my husband had steak (it wasn’t steak night but they cooked one for him anyway as it was our last night), and I had the lobster and shrimp special – excellent. If I remember correctly, my 2 lobster tails and 4 shrimp were 199 pesos, and my husband’s steak, which he said was excellent, was 149 pesos. There is also LuLu's for a massage - my husband and I had a 50 minute massage for their special promotion price of 400 pesos for both of us. Another place we went to eat was called Munchkin’s in the Golden Zone area. They have all-you-can-eat ribs for 150 pesos and it was pretty good. They also have amazing hamburgers.
Front Desk: They were always pleasant and helpful when asking which bus to take, or needing something in our room like extra pillows.
Bars: There were several bars throughout the complex. The best bartender was Fabian who worked at the bar by the nightly entertainment stage. He was always smiling and pleasant and always remembered what we drank which I think is something remarkable. My least favourite was the pool bar, which was always swarming with wasps, and the bartenders looked annoyed that you would bother them for a glass of water.
Front Door Security Man: Don’t know his name but he was really nice. You will know him because his jacket has an OPP badge and a Vancouver police badge. He was a bit of a character.
Security: During our stay, we heard about 3 people and saw a 4th person get arrested at the hotel. On the plus side, the security there doesn’t put up with any crap. On the downside, it was pretty scary and intimidating. The one we witnessed, a man was being detained by security until the police arrived. Two trucks with 5 policemen arrived and entered the hotel lobby with rifles drawn – reminded me of a SWAT scene from TV. I almost dropped my drink! A little overkill perhaps?
Entertainment: The shows at night were ok, nothing spectacular. But this I understand and very much feel for these people. They are working very long days and they are tired and it shows. The activity by the pool is very low keyed. In fact, we spent most of our time on the beach because the activity pool area was boring. During the weekends, things heat up a bit with all of the locals there. I did notice that when an activity or something was being announced over the PA, during the week it was said in both Spanish/Mexican and English. But during the weekend it was only Spanish/Mexican. I said to my husband “Where did the subtitles go?”
Pools: The pools were beautiful and there were several of them. I love to swim, but I only managed to get into one of the pools only once and that took me 20 minutes. The water was so cold. I love swim up bars, but never went to the one here. It looked dirty and cold, and after seeing it the first Friday we were there – more about that later.
Beach: Very nice and lots of lounge chairs. The venders were there but had to stay beyond the roped off area. But they were cool, not too pushy. Two down-sides of the beach; the lounge chairs (both at the beach and at the pool) were covered in bird poop; the other was when walking on the beach beyond the roped off area, watch out for dog and horse poop.
Locals: We’ve read the reviews about the “locals” staying at the hotel on the weekend and I thought, “Come on, it’s their country. They have the right.” In the 20+ years we have been going to Mexico and the Dominican Republic we have never, ever witnessed anything like this. Now I know what others were writing about. The first Friday we were there, chaos would be putting it mildly. I think there were 10 tour bus loads that arrived. The swim up bar that I was talking about earlier..? Envision sardines in a can. Bartenders were standing on the bar and pouring liquor (probably sangria) straight from the bottle into open mouths, people getting way too drunk, getting sick, passing out; drinks, cups, straws, and who know what else being dumped into the pool. A lot of us other guests stood around the pool and just watched with our mouths hanging open – it was complete mayhem!
The second weekend wasn’t as crowded. Don’t get me wrong, there were still a lot of people that arrived on Friday – I think about 7 tour bus loads. Someone else had written about it being a recovering addict’s convention.... I won’t add anymore to their review as it was pretty accurate.
Golden Zone: We haven’t been to Mazatlan for about 12 years and when this deal came up we thought we would try it again. Boy, a lot has changed. For one, the cruise ships don’t go there anymore due to the escalating violence and port fees, and it shows. What was once the heart of the tourist area is pretty much a ghost town, the Golden Zone is depressed and decaying. It was sad to see. The last time we were there, only the south side of the marina was built, there was nothing north of it. Now, there are lot of high-rise condos and hotels north of the marina, with the Riu being the last, farthest north building. I guess it shows economic growth, but it has pulled the charm out of what was once a beautiful town.
Overall: Weather was cool at night and in the morning so you need a sweater or light jacket. Other Riu’s we have stayed at are with other Riu hotels and have what they call “Stay at one, Play at three (or whatever the number of other hotels are around). So if you don’t like something at one hotel, you can go to the other for the day – even for a change of scenery. Here there is only the one Riu so you are stuck. Although the deal we got was great and we were excited about going back to Mazatlan, and to see the new Riu, we definitely will not be going back.

Room Tip: Try to get something on a lower floor, as what has been mentioned in other reviews about the elevato...
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

My wife and I had our wedding, and then the next day We took our honeymoon to Mazatlan and we stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay from 30 May - 06 June, 2011. This was our 2nd time staying at a Riu. (We stayed at the Riu Montego Bay Jamaica last year)

When our bus arrived at the resort, a hotel staff came aboard the bus and handed everyone an envelope containing their room keys information cards etc.. Well everyone except for us. As we booked last min, they told us that we just had to go the front desk for our package. The staff was extremely pleasant and were very helpful. We asked if we could have a room on one of the higher floors, as we wanted to be sure to have a really nice view, and they were more than happy to accommodate us!

When we got to our room, it felt like this was a brand new hotel, and no one had ever stayed in the room before (obviously many have stayed in the room before us) but everything looked like it was brand new!

We called down to the front desk to ask for extra pillows, and we told them it was not a rush to get them, just if we could have it before bed time that night. Not 5 mins later there was a knock at the door.. not only did they bring us our extra pillows, but they also gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebrate our honeymoon!

We ate at all of the restaurants except for the Asian one as neither of us care for Asian food too much. By far our favorites were the Steak House for dinner, and the beach BBQ for lunch.

The beach was fantastic, but as many others have said, the water can get a little rough, so it’s best to check with the life guard first before going in. Out of the whole week that we were there, there was only one day that we couldn’t go into the water due to Jelly fish, but every other time was just fine. On the beach there are ALOT of people selling things from t-shirts to beach hats and necklaces etc.. they are pretty pushy and they are like vultures.. stop and talk to one of them, and then there is 5 more of them circling all around you.. I was dealing with one guy to buy something and all these others came over and started crowding us more then I was comfortable with. I said to the guy, tell them to get outta here or I am not buying anything from any of them. I am not sure what he said, but whatever it was worked. They all left us alone, and we bought our souvenirs from him.

The entertainment staff was there quite a bit. The nightly shows were hit and miss.. one night it was Momma Mia which was great, and the next night was Mr Riu (a contest made from hotel guests) which was pretty cheesy.

The pools were fantastic! I commend the staff at the pool bar. It is an adult only pool, but from time to time kids would go in it, or some moron lady would bring their 1 year old baby up to the bar so she could drink, and within about 1 or 2 mins, the security guards would be kicking them out of the pool.

The pro's..

1. The staff were all VERY friendly and very helpful.

2. I am a VERY picky eater, and I never once had a problem finding enough different things to eat.

3. Between the 24/7 food and 24/7 alcohol, I drank and ate more in $$$ then I paid for the entire trip! ;)

I think that the only Con's to this hotel would be this..

1. During the day, the entertainment staff did a lot of activities around the pool bar. This usually consisted of drinking games, which lead to loud 20 year olds partying and acting stupid.. It didn't bother me at all, but I could see how some would view this as a con if this isn’t your thing.

2. The elevators were a little slow at times (usually on the weekends when the hotel was full), but realistically, I don't think we EVER waited for more than 3 or 4 mins for one.

3. Outside the main dining halls there are some tables that are for smokers. It was VERY annoying when non smokers would sit at these designated tables, and then complain about the smoke! I realize this is in no way the hotels fault, just thought I would mention it.

There is so much more I could say, but I am sure I would start to bore you, so my advice to you is, just go there and experience it for yourself!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and we are already planning our next trip to another Riu Hotel since we had such a great time once again.

Stayed May/June 2011, travelled as a couple (sorry it took so long to write a review)

Room Tip: If you like a certain restaurant there, you can go there more then once! (we went to the steak house...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

my husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks, Nov 24-Dec8. we flew with sunwing and that was the worst part of the whole trip. it was a flying sardine can. the crew were abrupt and rushed. coming back was minimally better. they were very fussy about the weight of luggage, and made many of us remove things from one bag and put into another, which was silly as it all went on the same plane. all it did was delay the line-up.
the check-in was great, on the bus on the way to the resort. at the Riu we had a great time and met lots of other Canadians who enjoyed the resort. yes, it got busy on week-ends so we went into town those days for massages ($20.00 for 90 min), and a pedicure, ($10.00) at the Aroma spa, trips to the market and tours of old town, the city is very historic and the embarcadero is quite new and a great walk along the seaside.. nice at sunset. I liked getting away from the resort and seeing Mexican culture and history. lots of the locals speak English. I really felt like we were in Mexico, not just anywhere..
what I didn't like about the hotel was, no bar service at the pools, bad coffee, equally bad wine, no champagne, sketchy service at the reception desk. no water sports. the specialty restaurants were ok, but the buffet was better, esp when they had wings or prawns.you could fix a plate and take it to the beach or the room. also the bbq's were good right on the beach, which was awesome, with lots of palm trees.. sunsets were beautiful. the fresh juice bar at breakfast was great. no complaints about the food. the staff try very hard, Sylvia, the omelet maker, was wonderful. they even had eggs benny one day.
all rooms have oceanviews with nice balconies, no need to pay for an upgrade. we stayed in 1026. it was central and nice. the chairs were plentiful both around the 3 pools and at the beach. no need to hoard. Towels were plentiful, as well as used books turned in at the towel kiosk. the in-room bar was stocked whenever we asked. the liquor was all domestic, except at the bars. the lobby bar was excellent. the jacuzzi and sauna at the spa were good, you need to reserve as they only allow a certain number of people at a time.
the resort WAS busy with locals on the weekends and the hotel caters to them. they kept pretty much to themselves. when the soccer teams were there one weekend it was a little rowdy.
we took a short walk up the beach and enjoyed steak and lobster at Roys for $20.00 and home made tequila at the Last Drop, where we watched the grey cup. it was fun and we went a few times.
the bus comes to the resort and for 9 pesos takes you right into town. it was clean and the driver helpful. we always felt safe.
Can$$ are accepted everywhere except at the airport duty free where everything is in US$$ and it costs more to use Can.$$
the price for this holiday was reasonable, we were treated well, had a great time and would go back, esp at those prices.

Room Tip: the end rooms, 2019, 20 etc.have a bank of 3 elevators that are less used.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I am surprised by the recent negative reviews. My husband and I stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay from November 10-17, 2011 and had an amazing time. There were some hiccups but we're pretty easy going and no one thing was bad enough that it ruined our trip.

SERVICE:
We traveled with SUNWING who had a representative meet us at the airport. Unfortunately two planes that were supposed to be staggered ended up arriving at the same time so going through Customs was a lengthy process. The airport halls where we had to line up were not air conditioned and there were no bathrooms until you cleared customs so it wasn't the most comfortable waiting period. Once we got through, SUNWING checked us off and boarded us on the bus. Our bus had some mechanical issues and ended up filling with smoke while en route to the hotel. We were asked to open the roof vents to air it out so problem solved.

Once we got to the hotel we were greeted with a welcome drink and didn't need to check in as they had the whole tour group organized by names and envelopes ready to go complete with room cards. Unfortunately after arriving on the 17th floor our room key didn't work. I stayed with the luggage while my husband went to the lobby to get new key cards. After waiting in the hallway for 45 minutes (I was afraid to leave in case I missed his return), my husband came back and stated the room wasn't ready and we were being moved to another room on the 11th floor.

SUNWING had a representative present in the lobby and were always easy to find. The hotel staff were good and pretty fluent in English.

VALUE:
Excellent. The trip was very affordable and worth every penny.

SLEEP QUALITY:
The beds were very hard and we found that our backs were sore in the morning. Apparently you can request a foam pillow top from the lobby but we never bothered. The pillows were also not comfortable and were very flat. They only give you three so we requested an extra one so that my husband and I could double the pillows up but despite leaving a note with our tips to the cleaning staff we never received one. We also asked the lobby and finally received the pillow on the third day.

CLEANLINESS:
We were amazed to see how many cleaning staff were present. They were constantly wiping, mopping, cleaning the public bathrooms etc. There were small things like hair in our bathtub but for the most part everything was very clean.

LOCATION:
This hotel is amazing. It's right on the ocean and not too far from the airport.

ROOMS:
The room was spacious enough for two people. It could have had better patio furniture, the basic plastic chairs weren't that comfortable. The view was gorgeous though. We actually saw a pod of dolphins from our balcony. The shower wasn't lit and a little dark at times and the hot water shuts off after a while. So whoever was the second person to shower usually got cold water part way through.

BEVERAGE SELECTION:
The rooms are equipped with a liquid dispenser which was awesome. Unfortunately the bottles of rum tasted horribly. Even mixing it with pop couldn't hide the bad taste. The mini bar selection was good, but ours hadn't stocked when we got there. They re-stock it every two days so we went without for that time frame.

FOOD:
The quality of food would probably be our biggest complaint.The main buffet offered very good breakfasts and somewhat okay dinners. The food was very repetitive and by day three you didn't want it anymore.

The a la cartes were not good at all. There was nothing special about the food or the service. They pumped people in and out in a hurry. You couldn't order any special drinks, only their house wine, which was the worst wine I've ever tasted. I couldn't bear to have more than a sip, it tasted like a weird chemical. We did all three a la cartes and none of them were good. At least it gave us a break from the buffet.

EXCURSIONS:
We did two excursions. The first was a guided city tour. It wasn't super exciting, but for $25 a person, it was a cheap and safe way to travel around Mazatlan and see the surrounding area.

We went on a dolphin quest and it was amazing. The tour was offered through the hotel but the name of the company is oncaexplorations. Our guide, Oscar is working on his Doctorate and uses the money from guided tours to fund his research. He was very passionate about his work and obviously very knowledgable. We ended up spending over an hour with a pod of about 50 Spotted Dolphins, a pod of about 30 Bottle Nosed Dolphins and saw a total of 5 whales. It was incredible. For $60 a person, I would have just been happy with the 4 hour boat ride but this excursion definitely made our whole trip. The only bad thing was the cost of the tour was supposed to include our taxi ride there and back, but Oscar told us the taxi to return to the hotel wasn't included and we would need to pay an equivalent of $10 American dollars. We reported this to SUNWING who said that Oscar was wrong and they would deal with it. SUNWING stated they would pay us the taxi money back but they never did.

WATER SPORTS:
We borrowed boogie boards from the resort, however, they only loan them to you for two 30 minute periods, not back to back, per day. You barely get out there and you had to turn around and take them back. There wasn't an abundance of people using them so I'm not sure why they wouldn't let us use them for longer. The ocean was very rough and was "red flagged" the whole time we were there.We still went swimming but the under tows are obviously very dangerous so we didn't go far.

The two pools were okay. They weren't super warm and there wasn't a lot of chairs.

I know previous reviews complain about the fact there's only two banks of three elevators but it's not that big of a deal. At most you might have to wait two minutes.

So yes, there were some bumps along the road but the location is so awesome it's hard to get stressed about anything. We had an amazing, relaxing time. And really for what we paid, we definitely got our money's worth and would love to return.

Room Tip: All rooms have an amazing ocean view so don't pay extra for this. All rooms are west facing but...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Emerald Bay? Share your experiences!