“beautiful hotel room too hot” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Olas Atlas 16 | Colonia Centro, Mazatlan 82000, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
washington state
“beautiful hotel room too hot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in September, on arrival my room was over 90, the temp dropped to 87 3 hours later, I stopped at the desk, they said yes it is a hot day. By morning, the temp had dropped to 82. Not ideal sleeping temp. Other than this the hotel is beautiful, food excellent, staff very friendly. Would stay again, but not in the summer months.

Room Tip: Ocean front is awesome
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CasaLucila, Manager at Casa Lucila Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
Dearest Sungirl,

Thank you for the honesty in your review! We wished we could've provided you with a better stay and we too agree that September can get VERY hot! For us, it's the humidity that really puts a damper in our day. Hopefully we can see you back here for a visit during the Winter or Spring months as the weather is absolutely perfect during that time. Should you decide to stay in the summer with us, we'll make sure to leave the A/C on for you the whole day.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We loved every second of our stay there. First off, you could not ask for better hosts. They are not only hospitable, but will take the time to talk to you and recommend restaurants and things to see and do. Second, the property and rooms are gorgeous. Third, the restaurant has amazing food. Fourth, the rooftop pool area is very relaxing. Fifth, did I mention how amazing the hosts are?

I won't go too into descriptions of the rooms because I think the pictures on their site speak for themselves. But what the pictures don't convey is the excellent service, the quiet and comfort, and the overall wonderful experience that comes from staying in this hotel. We could not have asked for a more perfect place to stay, and the rates were amazingly reasonable compared to the bigger hotels in Gold Coast. We had booked one night in the middle of our stay over there and could not wait to get back to Casa Lucila!

I will say that in this area of Old Town, the beaches are rocky. If you are looking to lay on sand beaches during the day, you won't find them here. But, you can always head up to the Gold Coast for the day (though it is VERY touristy), or better yet, take a pulmonia to the docks for a boat ride to La Isla de Piedra (Stone Island). There are many nice bars and restaurants that allow you day use of chaise lounges. Prepare to make friends with the stray dogs, which you will want to bring back home. The benefits of staying in Old Town far outweighed the travel time to a sand beach. Besides...the boat ride alone is great!

Despite what you hear of drug cartel in Mexico, we never once felt unsafe in Mazatlan. People on the street would stop to ask where we were from, make recommendations for things to do, and were more than happy to be ambassadors for Mazatlan. There is a reason so many Americans come back here year after year - there is an authenticity you can't find in the more touristy areas of Mexico. We highly recommend Casa Lucila and the Old Town area to anyone looking for a great winter retreat.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dearest TravelGurl,

What fabulous pictures you posted! Thank you for sharing a little bit of your stay with us. We appreciate the honesty of the feeling of safety that you felt here in Mazatlan. The news are very unfortunate as we know it scares people away from coming to visit us. We hope that we can give you another exciting stay the next time you come to visit. Winter is coming up again so hopefully we'll see you back here again soon!

White Rcok, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Casa Lucila is amazing. The attention to detail in this 8 room boutique hotel is stunning. The staff is wonderful and ready to please. Owners Chris and Conchita who are often onsite, make you feel very welcome and at home. If you want a unique experience lounging by the infinity pool with that incredible view of the Sea of Cortez, reading on your private terrace overlooking the promenade of historic Mazatlan, this is the place to be. Start your day with an incredible brunch in the hotel at the Water's Edge Bistro, followed by a walking tour of historic Mazatlan and all it has to offer. The location of Casa Lucila puts you in the heart of Centro Historico where you are in walking distance of galleries, theatre, bakeries, markets and architectural wonders. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dearest Robin,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We work very very hard to try to ensure our guests have a great experience whilst staying with us, so when you are good enough to take the time to tell us you had a fine time, it really means a lot to our team. We hope we are lucky to have you come back to visit us again soon!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My trip to Mazatlan was my first trip to Mexico. I've never been across the border (and I'm SUPER close - Dallas!) and wanted my first trip to be the best experience. I was hesitant about going because of all the news reports along the border. I put my concerns aside and decided to go with my boyfriend.
After numerous review-searching, I decided on Casa Lucila and boy did I make the right decision!
From the moment I landed in this foreign country, it was an easy experience. I made it to the oceanfront hotel "boutique" and knew that this was the perfect destination for me and Joe.
We walked along the boardwalk, ate delicious meals EVERY day, and stayed in one of the most beautiful rooms the hotel has to offer.
We stayed in the Lupita room overlooking the ocean. If I could recommend any hotel to stay at, this would be the one.

Room Tip: Lupita Room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dearest Courtney & Joe,

Thank you for making our day with your great review! We are so glad to hear that you made the trek into Mexico and experienced such a beautiful country. We hope that you come back down to Mazatlan from Dallas and stay with us again soon. We'll make sure to keep the Lupita room ready for your next trip down!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Trust me when I say that the reviews for this boutique hotel say nothing but the truth! Everything about it is amazing. The staff is wonderful and very friendly. They are there to help and assist you with your needs. They make you feel welcomed as if it is your “home away from home!” One of the best parts is that the owners are usually onsite as well. Definitely a plus for me as you don’t see that too often. They make the stay even better!

The hotel is gorgeous and you are immediately made aware of this by the detail that was put into it. It is clean, elegant and peaceful and is definitely a place to go if you are looking to get away. There are eight rooms and you will not be disappointed with your room choice! You have amazing views from the hotel and the malecon (boardwalk) is just a few feet away which is great for a leisurely walk or a nice run (and don’t forget the beach which is literally right there)!

It is located in old town Mazatlan which is rich with culture and history. Again, a plus for me as it is always great to learn the history of places and to get to know the culture (and the people). Something that much harder to experience in city setting!

I highly recommend staying here. I know that I will when I take another trip back to Mazatlan!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dearest SocMan,

Thank you for the great review! We appreciate the honesty and are thrilled that you feel right at home with us. We love hearing that our staff is able to assist with your every need. We look forward to having you come back to visit us!

sonora
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We love this place. Been twice and will return. The owners are darling, the rooms sparse but comfortable and the view magical.

Room Tip: Get the suite with a view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dearest Teresita,

Thank for being such a great repeat visitor and friend to us! We absolutely love having you come back and stay with us each time you trek down to Mazatlan. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I was skeptical about the overwhelming number of 'Excellent' reviews on this site for this boutique hotel. I also had never been to Mazatlan in my life, and was a little worried about the travel advisory for much of Mexico.

HOWEVER, when I got to Mazatlan (only 3 hours from Houston) my expectations were blown away and my worries dissolved. I stopped at a seaside restaurant before checking in, at the recommendation of Casa Lucila's owners, and had the freshest Marlin and fish tacos of my life. After a bucket of half-pint Pacificos (brewed and bottled in Mazatlan), I was relaxed, half-tipsy and ready to take a nap in my bed. The owners of Casa Lucila greeted me at their charming establishment and I felt as if the wind whipping off the Pacific floated me up to my room. My room was clean, elegant and quiet. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I fell asleep gazing at an incomparable view of the sunset.

Over the next few days, I went on a couple of excursions. I don't like touristy things, so I visited the old town's plazas, opera house and restaurants, and walked along the boardwalk --they call it a Malecon. Also, took a day trip to an off the beaten path tequila distillery that was incredible! I got a private tour for free and tasted some of the best Mezcal of my life (I bought two, large bottles at $27USD a piece!). A day-trip to Quelite, a small pueblo 45mins. from Mazatlan, for a grande lunch and donkey ride was also memorable.

I can say without a doubt that Mazatlan is incredibly safe, the people are friendly and the owners of this place have found and built a diamond in the rough! I would absolutely recommend coming to Mazatlan for the first time and to bring friends, loved-ones and lovers. I will be back for what I hear is their most exciting time of year: Carnival in late Feb. early March.

Room Tip: Top floor is breathtaking and they deliver drinks from the hotel restaurant at a moment's notice...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Dearest Tommy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your good time! We work hard to give good food and service so it makes our team feel great when we hear we've hit the mark, so thank you! We too agree that much of the travel advisory can be a little disconcerting but we appreciate the folks who still make it down to Mazatlan.

We hope we can see you back, and thank you for the "diamond in the rough" note! We look forward to having you stay with us during Carnival, the most fun time to stay with us!

Hotel Manager

Been to Casa Lucila Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!