“Safe Harbor from a Busy Life” 5 of 5 stars

Casa Lucila Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Olas Atlas 16 | Colonia Centro, Mazatlan 82000, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
New York City, New York
“Safe Harbor from a Busy Life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I was skeptical about the overwhelming number of 'Excellent' reviews on this site for this boutique hotel. I also had never been to Mazatlan in my life, and was a little worried about the travel advisory for much of Mexico.

HOWEVER, when I got to Mazatlan (only 3 hours from Houston) my expectations were blown away and my worries dissolved. I stopped at a seaside restaurant before checking in, at the recommendation of Casa Lucila's owners, and had the freshest Marlin and fish tacos of my life. After a bucket of half-pint Pacificos (brewed and bottled in Mazatlan), I was relaxed, half-tipsy and ready to take a nap in my bed. The owners of Casa Lucila greeted me at their charming establishment and I felt as if the wind whipping off the Pacific floated me up to my room. My room was clean, elegant and quiet. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I fell asleep gazing at an incomparable view of the sunset.

Over the next few days, I went on a couple of excursions. I don't like touristy things, so I visited the old town's plazas, opera house and restaurants, and walked along the boardwalk --they call it a Malecon. Also, took a day trip to an off the beaten path tequila distillery that was incredible! I got a private tour for free and tasted some of the best Mezcal of my life (I bought two, large bottles at $27USD a piece!). A day-trip to Quelite, a small pueblo 45mins. from Mazatlan, for a grande lunch and donkey ride was also memorable.

I can say without a doubt that Mazatlan is incredibly safe, the people are friendly and the owners of this place have found and built a diamond in the rough! I would absolutely recommend coming to Mazatlan for the first time and to bring friends, loved-ones and lovers. I will be back for what I hear is their most exciting time of year: Carnival in late Feb. early March.

Room Tip: Top floor is breathtaking and they deliver drinks from the hotel restaurant at a moment's notice...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
La Rochelle, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I've stayed in Casa Lucila several times with my girlfriend and I've always been very glad to do so! The hotel is incredible, the luxury level is very high and the rooms are big and cozy, clean and decorated in a new Italian design, sophisticated and sober, we loved it. The service received was beyond our expectations, personalized and still tactful with us. Regarding the place, it is located at 5 minutes (walking distance) from the “Plaza Machado” which is really great to see by night, and it is on the seafront, very pleasant for a walk. We will be glad to go back there as soon as we can and say hello to all the staff and the owner of the place that welcomes us so kindly!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed here for part of our Honeymoon in October 2011 and we REALLY enjoyed it, the hotel was lovely and peaceful with stunning views. The roof top pool was pleasantly cool in comparison to the heat and humidity of the town which made it an excellent place to relax. All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and welcoming. The restaurant in the hotel provided very good food, and the staff were more than willing to offer advise on other good places to eat.

All in all this hotel is highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Inverness, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

This small boutique hotel is a gem. The rooms look like they could be featured in Architectural Digest. Great location, and a staff this is friendly and efficient. They go out of their way to make you feel welcome. As I was leaving Mazatlan I discovered that I had left my cell phone in my hotel room. When I called to request that the phone be mailed to my home, the owners of the hotel insisted on driving out to the airport and delivering the phone to me before I got on the plane. That is an example of the level of customer service.

The restaurant inside the hotel (Water's Edge) is one of the best places to eat in Mazatlan. It was a great experience, and I would strongly recommend this hotel to those planning a visit to this city.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

This boutique hotel is absolutely gorgeous, located at the tip of the bay in Old Mazatlan. Rich with history, the hotel was remodeled several years ago and includes all of the luxuries you would expect in a modern Boston, NY or LA hotel. From lighting, to imported marble in the lobby to the serene sound of the waterfall, everything was just perfect.

The owners absolutely make the place. We didn't stay over night but they gave us a full tour of all the different styled rooms and the roof deck. We went there for dinner and, in fact, had some beautiful mahi mahi that we caught that day. They were MORE than happy to have their chef cook up a beautiful meal using our fish. We were there for almost 4 hours, enjoying the company of each other and the owners. And their stories about elite Hollywood stars that used to stay there when it was functioning back in the day are fabulous!

We certainly plan to stay there next time we are in Mexico.

Room Tip: All the rooms are absolutely beautiful. One is equal to the next and the only difference would be t...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
EDMONTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011 via mobile

We are just getting back from staying at this hotel. amazing!
Great place, people and location. The hotel is nice and clean very boutique style. The owners and the restaurant owners are great and very helpful.
We stayed at the ester room on the second floor...great for everything.
Perfect ocean view!!!
Don't hesitate with this hotel or this restaurant. We had breakfast and dinner here a lot over our stay.

Enjoy if you get a chance to stay here.

• Stayed November 2011
Chihuahua, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

In a nutshell, HEAVEN!!! We were treated with such great customer service by everyone employed there. The owners were fantastic people. You felt so comfortable in the hotel whether sleeping in those wonderful air conditioned rooms with the best beds and super showers, to dipping in the chill pool upstairs on the roof. The food and drinks there in the restaurant were great!! The shopping isn't to far away. You could walk it but be prepared it is a walk. Thats where that chill pool comes in!!! The location of the hotel is at the end of the main strip so you don't get all the noise during the night. There is a popular statue in front of the hotel that people love to see and take photos. The beach is across the street so you could walk over and lay out there. Or,
once again,,,, that wonderful pool up on the roof,,,, you could layout up there and get the sun, or watch the surfers while in the pool. I could go on and on about this place!!!!!!! If you are planning a trip here, this is the way to go!!! You won't be disappointed. Thanks Chris and Conchita for a wonderful experience there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Lucila Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!