This is our first stay at a Barceló and our first trip to Manzanillo. Before I start, I have a little rant. This trip was set up through Transat, which usually means we fly on a comfortable Airbus 300 series airplane. For this trip, however, Transat sublet the flying to EconoJet (or was it EnerJet??) We flew Vancouver to Calgary to Manzanillo in a cramped 737 with no entertainment system, no running water in the washroom and the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. To say I wasn't a happy camper after this long trip is an understatement.
Once we arrived at the hotel, things certainly picked up. This is a beautiful facility - the lobby, rooms and landscaping is fabulous. We stayed in a Junior Suite Ocean View Room on the 7th floor. If possible, try to book a 6th or 7th floor room - the view is fabulous. The rooms are spacious and clean. The furniture is starting to show some wear, and the beds are hard, but mattress toppers are available. The bathroom is a piece of art - no less than 7 large mirrors. The floors are all serviced by elevators - smooth and fast.
Throughout the facility the staff was friendly and helpful. The only problem we ran into was in regards to a food allergy. The staff didn't seem to be well trained in what ingredients are in their meals. The concierge provided us with an "allergy" letter written in Spanish - this helped somewhat. In regards to food and beverages, we found the selection and preparation to be fair to good. As it turned out, the best food was in the Buffet, not the al-a-carte restaurants. We didn't go to the Japanese restaurant, but the Mexican and Italian were just OK. The Mexican restaurant, however, has a setting that's second to none. Set out on a small peninsula, you sit just above waves crashing into the rocks - a fabulous sensory experience - don't miss it. Also, the booking system for the al-a-carts has changed - you can book all your seatings at one time - Hurray! Other resorts take note - this is how it should be done.
The rest of the ground are fabulous - walking paths around numerous pools and through mature meticulously maintained landscaping. The beach area is quite small, but mostly sandy. Once you get into the water there are more rocks to watch out for, but if you bring your snorkeling equipment there's a large variety of fish that hang around the rocks. The water is quite clear early in the day but gets murky later. Beach lounge chairs are easy to find, but pool chairs are coveted. If you want one, get down there early.
Manzanillo is an working city - the largest container port on the west coast. This creates an entirely different atmosphere than a tourist city like Puerto Vallarta. On the positive side, we didn't see a single time share salesperson, or a beach vendor. On the negative side though, we also didn't get much shopping done - only the Saturday Market a 10 minute taxi ride north had the type of mementos we were looking for (maybe this should also be a positive - we came back with half the spending money we went down with!)
Would we go back? Short answer - yes. There's more of the city and area we would like to see, and overall we were pleased with the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Karmina Palace Deluxe***** hotel has been recognised with the prestigious AAA 4-Diamonds award. It is a spectacular feat of architecture inspired by the Mayan temples. Its tropical gardens with palm trees, along with 6 interconnecting swimming pools with waterfalls, create a romantic and relaxing paradise in a place brimming with fun for all the family. This 5-star hotel offers 324 luxury suites fully fitted with everything you need for a comfortable stay. In addition, all suites have balconies and excellent views of either the tropical gardens or the sea. The Barcelo All Inclusive programme at Barcelo Karmina Palace Deluxe hotel has been designed to ensure your complete satisfaction, enabling you to enjoy our 4 restaurants and their varied cuisine from different countries: Japanese, Mexican, Italian and international. And to complete your holiday in this spectacular luxurious resort, relax in the U-Spa, enjoy the gym, the beauty centre and attend the nightly shows and lively nightclub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Expedia, Barcelo, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Otel and Hotels.com so you can book your Barcelo Karmina Palace Deluxe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Karmina Palace Deluxe Hotel Manzanillo
- Karmina Palace Manzanillo
- Barcelo Hotel Karmina Palace
- Barcelo Hotel Manzanillo