I took my husband to the Karmina Palace from Feb 2nd-9th 2012 for a birthday present so i had done extensive research on various Mexican locations and i primarily wanted a really lovely hotel for a week's rest and relaxation. So here is my honest review on the whole experience:
The Junior Ocean View suite is very nice. It's clean and well kept. The view was amazing from the balcony on the 6th floor
Hotel was immaculate, beautiful grounds and a lovely setting
Friendly Staff throughout the hotel and for the most part, good service. The Mexican people go out of their way to make you feel welcome and are very service orientated.
Buffet was excellent with lots of variety everyday
Mexican restaurant was so good that we went twice plus the setting of the restaurant was pretty spectacular
Nightly entertainment for an hour which was pretty good
At check-in only one person was doing the work, it took a very long time to get through the line-up and because our flight was delayed and we didn't check in until 10pm, some people missed the buffet entirely.
The beds are rock hard....and I do mean rock hard. Not uncomfortable but i did get a couple of pains in my back etc because i am not used to such a hard bed
Limited amount of lounge chairs at the pool and many do not have umbrella's for shade. Guests get up very early to snag a lounge chair by putting their towels over them, this really started to bother me as the week went on because if you hadn't put your towel down by 8 am then forget trying to get by the pool.
We ate at the Italian restaurant on our last night and ordered pizza - DO NOT order the pizza at this restaurant, each topping was placed individually on a slice and not sprinkled over evenly plus it was almost cold. It was the strangest pizza i have ever had.
The service by the pools was a little lacking but i didn't mind getting up and getting my own drinks. No food is offered around the pool and no coffee either which was disappointing. All drinks are served in plastic beakers outside which i understand but don't like.
The disco ends at around 2am each night and on a couple of nights we were woken up at 2.30 with fighting and yelling. It didn't last long as I assume security quickly broke it up but it jolted me out of sleep with a start and I was a bit shaken up and found it difficult to get back to sleep.
Honestly there is not much Bad or Ugly about this hotel. We had a very enjoyable week even though we both were a bit unwell. Downtown Manzanillo does not have much to offer but a walk along the seafront from Barcelo to Las Hadas is very lovely and you can go to the Marina there too. Not sure that I would return to this location in Mexico as I like to try new places when I travel but it is very popular with wedding parties (3 while we were there) as the grounds are so beautiful.
The hotel was full of Canadians with a handful of Americans and Europeans. The weekends attract the Mexicans which makes it busy. We flew with Air Transat and were delayed 2 1/2 hours going down which was unfortunate and the flight home is a bit of a nightmare because you have to stop in PV for a hour but overall it was a good experience.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Karmina Palace Deluxe Hotel
- Barcelo Karmina Palace Deluxe Hotel Manzanillo
- Karmina Palace Manzanillo
- Karmina Palace
- Barcelo Hotel Karmina Palace
- Barcelo Hotel Manzanillo
- Barcelo Karmina Palace
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mayan temples were the inspiration behind the Barceló Karmina Palace Deluxe*****, a luxury hotel on Mexico’s Pacific coast. Its tropical gardens, palms and trees with 6 interconnecting swimming pools and waterfalls create a romantic and relaxing paradise in a place brimming with fun for all the family.324 luxury suites, fully fitted with everything to make your stay comfortable, and all with excellent views and balconies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Barcelo, Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Barcelo Karmina Palace Deluxe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.