“not perfect, but great for the grandkids” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Festivall All Inclusive Resort

Save Saved
You added Gran Festivall All Inclusive Resort to your Saves list
Gran Festivall All Inclusive Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 12.5 Carretera Manzanillo, Manzanillo 28200, Mexico   |
Ranked #21 of 53 hotels in Manzanillo
vancouver island
“not perfect, but great for the grandkids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

For adults coming down from Canada, we would rate this a 3 star hotel, but the kids and grand-kids that we brought with us, would rate this a 4 plus star. Between the water slides, the pirate ship pool, all the activities at the main pool, and of course the evening show, the kids were totally enthralled. The accommodations were average but clean, the food was "cafeteria" style, and I have to admit that it could get a little bit repetitive, but then, the kids enjoyed it, and that was the main purpose of going to this resort. If you come, please accept that on week-ends this is a Mexican family resort, and guess what country you are in. On average, they are very polite and friendly, and if you try their Spanish, they will definitely try their English. (we have made many friends this way). A little "propina" and politeness, goes a long way to enhance service, as does remembering names of the staff. Taxis can be taken for 90 pesos to downtown Manzanillo, and you can catch the local 6 pesos buses to anywhere in Santiago, Manzanillo, Salagua, and many other points. The main shopping centres are "Commercial" and "Sorianas", but try many of the local family run stores, and beach vendors, as some times you will get a better value for your money. Nothing is perfect, and there will always be some minor problems, but these are quickly solved by some patience and a little humor. The only problem that we find, is that the beach is across the main highway (accessed by a pedestrian bridge), the sand is coarse, and the waves are "interesting". If we were taking grand-kids again we would definitely spend some time at this resort

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I recently returned from a two week vacation at the Gran Festivall and cant say enough good things as it was incredible! This resort is absolutely beautiful !!! It really needs to be promoted more as there were not too many Canadian vacationers -they all seemed to be at the Barcelo and the Tesoro but the Gran Festivall has way more to offer than the other two (imo). Which explains the Mexican/Canadian ratio which was just fine but made you feel a little unwelcome as since the resort is geared more toward Mexican vacationers there is little to no english spoken by staff so felt very left out of activites/shows/events/etc. or general communciation. And the fact there were not many other tourists there made for a quiet vacation. Even the main staff (front desk, most waiters/waitresses) dont speak english. It is nice to chat and make friends with staff but it seemed some just weren't interested. This would be the only complaint if you can call it that, that i would have. Plus we need to learn Spanish as we will continue to travel to Manzanillo year after year :) It seems staff arent staying too long at this hotel recently which is maybe due to drop in tourism this year people want to move on to bigger and better. The food is good (not as good as the last couple of years), tons of activities, pools are endless, beach and amenities are great and couldnt ask for more. It appears that they are in the process of upgrading the villas which i'm sure will take some time since it is such a huge place and i look forward to seeing the improvements/completion. It is sad to see that tourism seems to be not so good in general for Manzanillo this year as i'm quite sure that explains some of the disappointments at the resort. All in all, Gran Festivall and Manzanillo in general is the gem of Mexico that is not well known and given the chance i'm sure once it is discovered by Canadian travellers it will boom.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This has got to be the absolute WORST vacation I have ever had and I am one of those people who NEVER complains! I go to Cuba and don't complain about the food so if I am telling you this place is awful, you can believe it..
I have been here 3 times now over the last 8 years. The last time I was there was 2 years ago and we all had an amazing time but there are new owners and they obviously don't give a S%^$ about the reputation of this resort. 2 years ago there were girls and guys working here from all over the world and they went out of their way to talk to everyone and entertain the guests....
My main complaint this time was the RUDE entertainment staff. Not even one speaks english and unless you are Mexican they treat you like garbage except for Adam from Europe - He was the only one who speaks English and was helpful. The rest of them were useless. They were rude to me and my children and even went as far as telling my husband to shut up and go to hell when he asked where he could get a clean towel. One of the entertainers tried to hit on my 15 year old daughter (he was A LOT older than her) and made her feel very uncomfortable not to mention my husband and I. I cannot imagine going back to this resort when I felt the safety of our children was in jeopardy.
A few of the 'dancers' if you can call them that, were constantly whispering and laughing at guests and giving us dirty looks. As far as them being dancers as they call themselves, they are not. The nightly shows were terrible and my 8 year old could put on a better production. We left halfway thru most of the shows.
I cannot believe how unorganized and unprofessional the entertainment staff were.
The food was awful but I can deal with that as long as we are having a good time - which we were not. The rooms were dirty and our sink was leaking a lot for the entire time and no one came to fix it. It's hard to be on vacation and feel like you are an inconvenience while trying to relax by the pool.
I dont know what happened as when I was there 2 years ago things were completely different and the entertainment staff was AMAZING and we actually made friends with them and kept in touch for a while... but NOW? Now it is like it is not even the same place. I will never return and I will make sure to tell everyone I know about my terrible experience there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chapala, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Nov 24 - Dec 1, 2012 Gran Festival Resort Manzanillo

So after a 4 hour ride thru construction and detours we arrived at Gran festival Manzanillo. This was an RCI trade for us. Check in was very confusing and long, way too long. Desk staff very uninformed,confused but polite. They told us our unit had no kitchen, no ice makers on site, etc. sigh. We paid for the AI at $46/p/pd. They take M/C, Visa, and tell you they take Amex but have no machine for it...sigh. Free parking, and free wifi in lobby. Not very informative at check in...despite being pleasant.

We arrive at our room 218, it is 2 levels. There are many buildings throughout large property and each houses so many units....Ours is on far side of pool, over bridge, with no ocean view, but quiet area. Contrary to what we were told there is a kitchen.. with a coffee maker, toaster, microwave, sink, 2 burners, pans, dishes and such and full size refrigerator and 2 bottles of water for the week, you can get more at restaurants or bars. Happy we had the kitchen, but so strange no one knew. Off the kitchen was a dining area with seating for 6, and to far side of that cement built in couches, telephone, and doors leading to a small balcony with table and chairs. Doors are older and warped, colors are bright and happy on upholstery though. Tile floors. Kitchen is very dated but serves the purpose of snacks and keeping drinks cold and such. There is one TV in unit over dining room table.. flat screen...with remote.
On other end of first floor is a bedroom with 2 twin beds, a closet, vanity, and a keyed safe. A bathroom with shower and sink and a seperate area for toilet. Up a very skinny , windy staircase is another bedroom, with a king or queen bed, a bathroom with shower , sink and toilet, and another closet. There is also a door leading to a rooftop type balcony, no furniture and not very secure lock.

The units have great potential but need a lot of work....the toilets leak, the kitchen old, the blue sink on first floor very messy and dirty looking , both toilets commercial style, A/C not function well at all on top floor. No facecloths, limited towels. Buildings need paint and such...

The weather was great while we were there, hot and humid perfect for lounging about. The pool is large and filled with activity. There is also another area for adults only with its own pool and bar, much nicer. Again maintenance is an issue, many times chairs , loungers with bird poop etc...should be washed daily or least checked.

The buffet was just okay, lot of simple foods or repeats, supposed to be choice of 3 restaurants but yet was not the case, one restaurant per night , irritating when you have paid for more. The Italian a la carte restaurant was also just okay. The physical appearance was quite nice with a nice sit down bar, which no one used. Nice atmosphere, food just okay and service well they could use some training, though pleasant.

There was no place to just sit and enjoy a drink, you had to go to a bar, get drink then nowhere to sit yet they had this nice bar in Italian Restaurant no one used. At the buffet restaurant you could only get sodas, juices , wine etc.. but no alcoholic drinks. Very strange.

They have a restaurant beachside as well, you have to walk quite a distance across a bridge over highway and then it is there. Seafood and Mexican eats. Decent but nothing great. The beach was nice but not many chairs/loungers for hotel guests and tons of for rent chairs and all...

They have wonderful tennis courts on site with a tennis pro, very reasonable rates and my friend had 3 lessons I believe.

We had a pleasant stay despite numerous issues, leaky toilets, sinks, and such. Lack of options to dine. Service varied. Best thing about the resort they put on some great nightly shows...and the Solarium which is the adult only pool area.

I feel this was a step down trade for me thur RCI, with just okay food even with the very low AI fee. It appears they are working on improvements as they showed us some remodeled units which were much nicer. This will not be a return place for me, unless numerous renovations are done, restaurant options are as advertised etc...The total package was okay but less than I expected...even with the large sprawling grounds, lots of activities, and even a disco rarely open.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were there the month of August, the hotel was full, the pool area was a little to crowded, but we adapted, there are so many thing to do with your children, we loved every little bit of it, the slides were supper fun, the kids club was amazing, the activities staff was very friendly, the show at night was very fun also, the only thing that was not the best was dinner, we enjoyed breakfast and lunch but dinner was not the best. We would definitely go back there

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alhambra, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The resort is huge and beautiful, and have a lot of places to have fun, they have the big family pool, the adults pool and the children pool.
There are also tennis, basket, volleyball, fut-ball facilities, restaurants, gym, a theater, etc, the place is huge, clean and nice, but not the rooms.

I heard they have different kind of rooms some of the rooms has kitchen and some not.

We asked for the one w/kitchen because we got all inclusive but only for 3 days so the rest of the week we had to cook, but when we got to our rooms, there was nothing in the kitchen no plates, no cups, nothing.

In the bathroom there were only 2 towels but we were supposed to have 6 because we were 6 people, so we have to call room service asking for what we were supposed to had but the room service wasn't good neither because we had to be calling them to bring us what we needed.

The rooms are too small and they don't clean them as good as they should. You can see it in the sink picture I am posting. I took this picture from the bathroom sink and as you can see this was really dirty.

I think they changed the name, before it was called Maeva but I don't know if the owner sold the place or what really happened, but I heard that at that time it was much better than now.

But anyways, it doesn't matter who owns the place now, what it matters is that the new owners or the new personal in charges needs to do something about this because otherwise people is going to stop going there, and it will be really bad for them and for us, because as I said before, the place is beautiful and big, but the rooms poor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a week. August 11th to August 18. Family of four.The hotel was out dated. The food was the same everyday. This hotel is not a five star hotel, I knew that reading the reviews of this hotel. But the food is free can't beat that we got use to it after the first day. Just adapted. We have family in Manzanillo we went into town. If you get tired of eating the same food you can take the local bus into town to the Walmart, six pesos a person. There are taco stands around that area. The waves at the beach in front of the resort were rough the first four days. It eventully they calmed down. But, if you want you can take a taxi to another local beach area called La Boquita, the taxi ride is about 30 pesos. The water is nice, warm and calm. Also, you enjoy the ceviche there too. We as a family got used to it. We just adapted to it. My kids didn't complain. As long as they are in the water no complaints from them. My kids enjoyed the water slide, the pool and the beach. The other hotels are probably in the same shape as this one.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Gran Festivall All Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!