“Nice resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa

You added Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Conejos, Lote 8, Huatulco 70989, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
“Nice resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Secrets is a very nice resort, very modern and adults only. We enjoyed our stay but it was a little too quiet for us. It's defiantly the place to go if you want complete relaxation.

The beach is gorgeous and I quite liked the sand even though it is not what we are used too. The pool is gigantic running the whole length of the building. The rooms are nicely decorated and the bed and linens were very good. Loved the turn down service every night. The staff are all very friendly and the concierge team is fabulous. The food is amazing absolutely loved the Beach Grill and the French and Italian al a carts! If you have the opportunity book a romantic dinner on the beach, do so, you will not be disappointed! It was an amazing experience and some of the best food I have ever eaten! The spa is great we had a 90 minute hydro therapy and then a 50 minute massage( it was wonderful)!

If your anything like us and you like to walk and visit different areas of the resort this is not the place for you! Everything is in one location so there isn't really any adventure and there isn't really an option as where to hang out in the evening accept the sky bar. However walking the beach is nice but really that's all there is.

I don't want to sound like we didn't like this resort because we did but if your used to mega resorts and like the options of different lounges, casinos, discos and the adventure of walking and trying to navigate to the next hidden gem, then this isn't the place for you.

Hautulco is a great, but make no mistake it is very very very hot! It was 100 and over the entire week! I am usually a sun worshiper but it got the best of me on day one ( heat stroke). It's not a tropical heat it's more of a desert heat.

Would I recommend this resort yes, to people that want nothing but relaxation!

Room Tip: 2219 had a great view of the ocean and sunrise. Plus it was easy access to very thing!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This resort is a gem. I have been all over the world, I really feel like this resort has nailed what an all inclusive should be.
Just returned last night and I felt it was necessary to write a review about how spectacular this hotel was.
Food, location, rooms, beach, and pool were phenomenal. It was, however, the staff that really puts this place above and beyond the rest. A special thank you to Fabiola, Daniel, Alberto, and Viktor on the entertainment staff. Every day these 4 individuals worked so hard to ensure everyone was having fun. I will miss you guys and the beach volleyball of course!
One suggestion for the hotel. Please make sure you stick to your rule about only holding chairs for a half hour around the pool and beach.
Thank you for a beautiful vacation. We will be back

• Stayed February 2014
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed at this resort Jan 28th to Feb 11th. Flight down with Sunwing went off without a hitch.
Flight back was fine as well. It did not take too long to get to the hotel. Dropped off a bunch of folks at Dreams and we were at our hotel in no time. This is not a WOW hotel when you drive up. As others have said the lobby is very white and stark. But check in was very fast and we were in our room in no time. And our luggage came not too long after we got to our room.
Now the WOW is when you go to the back of the lobby and see the view.

We loved our room. We had asked for building 5 as we wanted to be above the quiet pool. And that is what we got. Room 5319, loved it. Only two flights of stairs down to the pool and close enough if we needed to go back to the room. Which was not very often during the day.

Some folks I noticed were complaining that men needed a short sleeve shirt for lunch at Castaways. But what I would do is put a t-shirt in a zip lock bag for my hubby and he could just wear that with his swim trunks. It was so hot it never took very long for his trunks to dry out.
We loved Castaways for lunch, plus if you asked them to they would make coconut shrimp. But you have to be careful of the hamburgers here. This was the only place my husband had an upset tummy. It was not cooked through. Down at the Barefoot grill he never had any problem. And I think he just about had a hamburger ever day there,he enjoyed them so much. Plus they had great chicken wings. I was disappointed that on the 2nd last day I discovered they had pulled pork sandwiches which were excellent.

We would have to say most of the food at the resort is pretty good. I did get a little tired of the fish of the day which was always Mahi Mahi which I never thought I would say. And by the end of the two weeks I did not want to see another shrimp.

Our least favourite resturant first was Spice. We went the first week with friends. We had reservations for the Teppanyaki table but the only time we could get in was 9:30 and by 8:00 we were very tired. So we cancelled and they just let us sit in the restaurant. But then they told us no chicken or shrimp. So I got up and checked the Teppanyaki table and they had chicken and shrimp, but by this time we had been sitting quite a while watching a spanish couple being taking care of. Once we got the attention of the manager we were taken care of. Food was just OK.
My hubby and I did manage to make a booking for our 2nd week for the Teppanyaki table. We had been at another resort with this type of table and this was ok. This one uses far too much garlic butter. Plus the poor lady next to me was nearly hit by a flying spatula but it hit her wine and water glass. She was very much soaked,but was a very good sport about it.

That is one thing I did notice. If you don't want your veg sautéd in butter ask your waiter. Especially in the French resturant they use a LOT.
Our Favorant restaurant was CIn Cin,My hubby loved the lasagne, Our last night we went there and I noticed that a couple on the table next to us where having Oso Buco which was not on the menu. So I asked them and they said it was a special. Which our waiter had not mentioned. So we called another waiter over and he sorted it out for us. My husband still had his Lasagne and I very much enjoyed my lamb. With talking with different ones around the pool some had mentioned they had had a lamb special at the French resturant but we did not know to ask when we went to that resturant. So remember to ask if there is any specials. Plus garlic bread is not on menu but if you ask they will make it at Cin Cin.

The staff in all the Restaurants do a great job. They go out of there way to make you happy. In the French restaurant I loved their mashed potatoes. But most likely because of all the butter. But mine were cold. So I asked the waiter if she could put some hot ones on a small plate for me. Boy, did I get a pile of hot potatoes.
We did notice that as our two weeks went on the food that was served to us got hotter and hotter.

We tried the Spa and loved it. We had a couples hot stone massage and used the hydro circuit which was a great experience. It is beautiful view from the massage rooms, don't forget to take your camera. We had coupons which we used towards the massage but on the daily news letter there are spa specials. One day it was for any 50 minute massage for 100 USD and any 80 minute massage for 125 USD which was a very good deal.
But talk to Sally in the lobby and she will take care of you for the Spa.

We only did a couple of tours, The City tour with Sunwing which was really good. Gave us a good lay of the land.
And we took an Amstar Deluxe bay/Snorkel tour which we really enjoyed. I will put a review up for that soon.
About Wifi, I received it in the room most of the time. There was a couple of days I had problems but there was problems in the business centre as well. Some times I even got wifi round the pool. I was able to Skype my family in the UK while we were at the pool and show them the beautiful view.
I cannot add any thing else that has not been really covered by someone else's review.

But the last thing I will add to this, even though this is a beautiful resort it needs a bit of work for being a resort that is only a couple of years old. Lots of tiles missing in the pool. Elevator floor needs some work and lots of places need a good coat of pant to cover marks and rust.

Would we come back to this resort, probably not. But we would definitely come back to Huatulco. I don't think we would ever go to the Yucatan again. But we would very much recommend this hotel. And we would like to try another Secrets Resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Guest:

First of all let me thank you for your message and staying at our resort in your past vacations.

Let me assure you that your feedback is very important and that we will take in account your comments; since our mission is to offer the best quality service to our guests.

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.

Aurelien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We recently eloped at Secrets Huatulco. We had stayed at Secrets Silversands previously and loved the resort so we decided to choose Secrets and were interested in Huatulco.

Rooms - we had a swim-up one bedroom suite which was beautiful! One and a half baths, lots of room and spotless. We were in building five which was perfect. Close to the large quiet pool, but we had our own chairs and pool.

Staff - wonderful! Our wedding co-ordinator was just lovely and did a great job, the housekeeping staff were fantastic and pretty much every employee we encountered was helpful and pleasant.

Beach- the bay is beautiful. Some days the water was calm and fine, other days the undertow made swimming more work than it was worth. The lack of palapas is a definite problem as people are out there at 6am "reserving", and any times they don't even return. We heard that they can't get permits for any ore palapas despite there being tons of room, and a need for them. It is so hot that sitting out in the sun is dangerous (especially for pasty Canadians :-)

Pools - very well maintained and laid out. Again, chair space doesn't seem to be overly adequate so the only way to guarantee a spot (other than getting up at 6am to throw your towel down) is to get a swim out room. The pool with the swim-up bar is very lively, but the others are low key so there's something for everyone.

Spa - amazing! Great treatments, lovely facility, excellent staff. Definitely worth a visit.

Food - this is our only complaint as my husband got food poisoning at the mexican buffet and I felt sick more days than not. We have travelled in Malaysia, Thailand, etc. so we are very careful about drinking only bottled water and were't boozing all day or getting baked in the sun, it was definitely the food. We had no problem at the other Secrets and don't expect this from a five-star so were very disappointed, especially on our weddingmoon.

Activities - illness derailed our snorkelling trip so can't comment on that.

La Crucecita - a short cab ride and a quaint little town. People were very friendly and we bought some souvenirs and had an excellent pizza at La Crema.

We would do Secrets again, but because of the food issues, not this resort unfortunately.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We just got back from our trip in Feb 2014. The resort and staff are amazing. Really happy to help and truly concerned about the making sure everyone is comfortable. We had a swim up room and therefore did not have to get involved the morning for the lawn chair scramble. Saw whales from our room, that was fun! It is hot of course and the beach sand is not soft, but that has it's own appeal. The food selection has something for everyone. we went with our son and his finance. The are in mid twenties, but they also had a good time, but mostly kept to themselves. The crowd is mostly couples or groups, and folks seemed to stay in their own group. We did the same thing, so not a criticism, just an observation. Hard to break into the circles if you are expecting to meet a lot of folks. We have been to Dreams and now Secrets. This is much more quiet, not a lot of loud music and not a lot of loud announcements over the PA trying to get folks involved. If you want more interaction, try Dreams. There were things to do, but most folks were more likely to watch the ocean, layout by the pool and read, eat and drink and nap during the day. So if that is what you are looking for and we were... it is wonderful. I regret that we did not take a trip into town, we should have made a point of seeing the local sights. The resort was so comfortable and relaxing and we just stayed there. Room service was incredible, to order breakfast and sit on the deck and enjoy coffee while the sun came up each morning is fun for me. This is a special place and it was great to go. I should have taken advice of other trip adviser to bring some mosquito repellent, in the evenings, they do come out. Being from Minnesota, I should have known. One thing I would suggest, if when you go, lockup up your IPAD, Cell phone and laptop and go off the grid. Too many folks were uptight, trying to stay connected at the Skybar. I did it and the first few days was difficult, but then wow what a weight off my shoulders. The email was waiting for me when I got back, and it really made a difference to go off the grid for a while. Enough of my rambling, just go and have a great time! Thank you Secrets Huatulco for making my week a fabulous one! By the way, this is my first review and felt compelled to share as I rely on TripAdvisor reviews for all my travels.

Room Tip: every room has a ocean view, the swim up rooms have their own lounge chairs.
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We love this resort for all it has to offer. We feel really safe walking outside the resort and the weather is always perfect. We went for a tour of the bays from Gilberto who you can find on the beach, advertising bay's tour, sports fishing, snorkelling and dolphin tours. The resort doesn't recommend that you use these guys in the resort newsletters, but we met him while we were walking the beach and decided to give it a try. We don't like to be stuck on a bus all day traveling to and from areas, so for $225.00 he picked us up at 9 am on the beach and gave us a nice tour. He spoke English very well and knew the area because he grew up there and has been boating all his life. We even saw whales, turtles, and sardines. We stopped in Santa Cruz and shopped for 1/2 hour while he went for lunch. We were back to the resort beach by 1 pm and thought it was well worth it. His boat was clean and well kept. It's called the Miriam and it is white and red with a blue tarp as a roof. He's very safe and he does this for a living.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

With the new 2014 vacation season upon us we needed to decide on a location to head to and picked Huatulco. We had heard so many people heading there had a wonderful trip and we wanted to see for ourselves what it was all about.
There are quite a few resorts to pick from even though it is still relatively undeveloped in that area and we went for one of the higher end resorts according to the ratings we saw online. Like any new destination you never know until you get there to see it for yourselves if the hype is true or not....and ii is!!
To start from the beginning is the only way to tell you our experience at this amazing vacation hotspot. Our trip was from Feb 11 to the 18th.
The trip from Winnipeg was a direct flight for us which was quite nice as we have heard that there are those who had a stop in another city before heading to Huatulco so check your trip itinerary closely if thats what you are not wanting. The trip took us 5hrs and 20 min and it was a pleasant flight in the sardine can they call a plane but thats not really an issue for us since we are on vacation right. The Huatulco airport has been updated and makes it easier to move about to disembark on the runway and walk over to the baggage claim area and then through customs to your bus. The temperature change from what we came from was quite dramatic but we were expecting that. We grabbed a couple of beers before boarding the bus and wish we grabbed a couple more but there was free drinks at the resort so we could wait. the bus ride was about 30 minutes through a very dry but visually appealing trip to the first stop to let off the Barcelo patrons. We quickly arrived at our resort and were immediately greeted with Sunwing reps that showed us where to go and who to talk to. We were early for check in so once we spotted our baggage being put into the waiting area we grabbed some Cervesa and went downstairs for lunch....mmmmm food!! Right off the bat we knew that there would be no issue with bland tasting or poor quality food here. When lunch was finished we headed to check in and off to the room we went. Upon opening the door we saw that the king size bed we requested was not to be as there were 2 doubles in the room but we just thought that it would more cozy or romantic that way so it was no big deal. My wife opened the curtains and the patio doors that opened completely up to reveal a wonderful view to the bay. All of the rooms here have a great view of the bay and pools but you need to realize that the lower main floor on the 2 upper buildings will have a slightly restricted view due to the building in front. Please realize though that this restricted view is minimal because each building is stacked up and behind the other so there is really no bad view just a little restricted to the pools below. See the pictures online and i will also try to post some for your viewing pleasure of the room and view. The card keys worked great all the time for the rooms which was also a plus.
The temperature was a balmy 33 degrees and off to the pool we went to cool off and let the relaxing begin. there was a couple of chairs that were empty by one of the pools so we grabbed them and threw our towels on and in we went. It is definitely a bit of an issue in regards to the lack of pool loungers to use but it is no different any where else we have been. ***HINT!! Get up really early and go and pick your chairs and put not just a towel on them but a couple of personal items to show that your there.*** I got up at 6 most mornings and went and took care of that. There are those who get up even earlier to get the best spots. I understand that a lot of people are not big fans of this practice but you cannot control what others do and remember you are on holidays and it is best not to make a big deal of it and don't let it ruin your holiday. Just have fun and relax ok. After reserving my chairs i would go for a nice walk on the beach and go watch the sunrise on the adjacent beach. ***Hint...This beach is accessible by walking towards the little hut on the left beach to the rocks but before getting there you will see a little path that goes through the bush on the left and voila there you are.*** Beautiful sunrises every day. Great photo opportunities everywhere. The resort beach is steep in spots and kind of hard to walk on due to the quite coarse sand and after a few walks on it your feet tend to get a little tender. ***Hint... Wear sandals at all times especially in the day because the sand gets so hot it burns your feet.*** There is also a few locals who sell some stuff off the beach or try to sell you tours but we did not buy anything this trip. After a few days we did notice as well that both of us had bites from the sand mites or whatever they were and they got quite itchy. Thats enough of the beach then.
So lets talk quickly about Restaurants. Never did make it to all of them due to the great food in the buffet and the pool bars but the ones we made it to were really tasty. Our favourite was hands down Castaways and Oceana. Why you might ask? Because they had an amazing view, they had the best salmon I've had in along time at any resort, the service was friendly and the beer was cold. They also have a really good steak there too when we tried it. Spice(asian) restaurant was pretty good(the sushi was yummy) and Cin Cin(italian) was good as well. Try the pizza! On a similar note about the food they had theme nights every night in the main square between all the restaurants and the food was very good. We noticed that whichever theme night it was that restaurant was closed. Upon going to any of the restaurants you need to stop at the desk in the front and give them your room number but you did not need to do any reservations. They also had on some nights a little food area set up by the sky bar which had really good food too. The food was everywhere and it was all good. So my advice is try what you feel seems good at the time and you should not be disappointed but the ones i mentioned above was our favourites.
The Bars were all well stocked with a wide variety of alcohol but you need to ask for the premium stuff specifically or you will get the cheap stuff. So watch what is being served and then you will figure it out pretty quick. Grey goose, Crown royal, Don Julio, Bacardi take your pick. The mix that went into the drinks was quite good too. There are bars all over the place once you figure it out and they all have the same stock as far as i could see but some would run out of the high end alcohol quickly. They have a drink of the day very day and you just need to ask for it. We did not overindulge in the food or drink department to make sure that we would thoroughly enjoy our vacation.
The pools....what can i say about them except that they were big and each had an infinity portion to them except for 1 of them. Two were huge and the other 2 were smaller but still quite nice. All of them had a wonderful view depending on where you sit at them and only 1 had a swim up bar. We spent our time in the main swim up bar pool to have the access to it and sat on the upper level by the stairs as it had the best access to our room and the washrooms and the food and the stairs to get in and out of the pool and it had a nice view out tot the bay. There was pool entertainment every day and activities but we did not partake in them as it was our time to relax. You can take your food from the food area to your chairs which was nice or eat at one of the few tables there. The drink servers were quite busy so we mostly got our own drinks. The pool area and around it was kept very clean of debris and cups and plates at all times. Dress code is casual in the main restaurants and not at the others pool food areas. We have been to some resorts where you need to have a shirt and shorts to eat but not here. Look for the 2 brown baskets in various locations around the pool as thats where you get your unlimited towels and put your old ones. Unlimited towels was great to have and we also took 2 with us towards the end of the day to use to reserve our chairs in the morning since they don't get put out until a little later in the early morning.
***Hint... Bring lots of sunscreen and high SPF like a 30 to 50 worked well but most people still got burnt and some got it bad too including my self and wife only because we got lazy and didn't keep reapplying often.*** Wear a hat at all times too. It got really really hot when we were there mid to high 30's.
The Sky bar was a cool little spot to go and hang out in the evening( amazing views) and the entertainment was there from 7 to 9:30 or so. It was ok but thats about it. Our last night they had a guitarist playing there and he was by far the best all trip. The theatre entertainment was not very good but it was something to watch if thats what your into.
Excursions....there are lots of things to do but again we did not partake because we did not want to waste a whole day on it and we were there to relax anyways. Besides it was too hot to head out for them. Go into town and walk around there for hours and see all the cool little shops and restaurants. No worries about locals hassling you or any problems with safety. It cost us $7 US to go by taxi into town.
The Spa....We went to the spa for a couples hydro-circuit and couples massage on valentines day and it was amazing. So if thats what your into go check it out.
One morning we went for a walk outside of the resort for a 2 mile hike and it was quite challenging due to the heat and the hilly terrain on the roads but we still had fun. Very safe and no worries at all.
In regards to the Building/room selection we were in what i feel is by far the best one. We were in 5203 which put us in the 2nd floor of the first build on the right of the elevators. Great view and convenience especially in the day if your not into using the pool washrooms which can be a little wet from the pool users. They were still very clean and had soap and towelling at all times.

I must also say that there was only a few times where the drinks got the better of some people but all were well behaved. Many Many Canadians here and very few smokers which to us was a huge plus plus!!!
We also met some great fun people from close to home and had some wonderful evenings spent.

Once again in this review i must state that this is merely what we experienced on our stay here.
The resort was amazing and we would go back anytime as we had a wonderful romantic getaway.
I hope what i have put here helps you in deciding to come to this resort and see for yourself how amazing Huatulco and Secrets is. Have fun everybody!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 5203 which was very convenient and was close to everything....literally!!! It was als...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!