“Love Secrets Love Huatulco” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa

You added Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Conejos, Lote 8, Huatulco 70989, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
Edmonton, Canada
“Love Secrets Love Huatulco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I'm really late in writing this but I guess better late than never. We stayed at Secrets Huatulco last winter. We took several family members with us, some elderly, some that haven't travelled too much. For the most part the resort was a hit with most of us. (Some people are impossible to please)
There were a few hiccups, but this resort is fairly new and I think was just experiencing a few growing pains. For example, the buffet restaurant was not up to the standards we have come to expect from AM resorts. The ala carte restaurants were really good. Although I expect that they too, will improve in time. Staff was wonderful. Very helpful, especially considering the inexperienced travellers we took with us. Their patience was endless.

Huatulco is my favourite destination in Mexico, it's beautifully warm and sunny and I've always felt safe and welcome there. That being said, there is limited shade at Secrets Huatulco, the way it is situated gives every room an oceanfront view but also full sun exposure. I love the sun so that worked for me but some people need the shade and there is limited umbrellas and beach cabanas. We had a swim out room and it was lovely but it's very hot and again, no shade so we didn't use it in the afternoon at all.
We upgraded to the preferred club and have to say it was NOT worth it. I was surprised by this because we have upgraded at other Secrets and Dreams resorts and have always been happy with it but there was really no benefit to the upgrade at Secrets Huatulco. The preferred club lounge was, quite honestly, a joke, and just not worth the extra cash.
The time share people were annoying but usually would back off with a polite 'No, gracias'.

If you are looking for a relaxing,quiet holiday in a great resort, look no further. Party animals may want to look elsewhere.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend Secrets Huatulco. It's a lovely resort in a lovely location and I'm sure the few problems they do have will be resolved soon. I can't wait to go back.

One other thing I will say is that if you can afford it, give Secrets Maroma Beach a try. Absolutely heavenly. Love love loved it...but you will definitely pay quite a bit more. For the price you pay to go to Secrets Huatulco it really is a great place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear guest,

We are very thankful for receiving your feedback. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at Secrets Huatulco, and so proud to know that you have Huatulco as our favourite destination.

Your comments will be sent and taken in account by our Managers.

We hope you will decide to come back soon to Huatulco and our resort; we will be looking forward for your stay to giving you the special attention you deserve.

General Manager Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
Lake Elsinore, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Well after reading the negative reviews I like you was very nervous about my trip, but this place ROCKs. The resort is beautiful, does it require maintenance yes but nothing beyond what anything else in the tropics would, paint, crack repair, etc… Just the jungle trying to take her land back. The pools are great especially if you find Margarita delivering drinks, with that said all of the staff is great. One day the bar was out of Negra Modelo and the next day the bartender remembered that I asked for it and without asking I found one waiting on the table next to my lounge chair. This is the service you can expect, just show your thanks a 20 Peso bill for bringing you your drinks will go a very long way.
The food was very good, not sure what the others are talking about. Ricardo one of the Restaurant managers, Oceana and Bordeaux made dining experiences excellent. Room service needs work but is what you may expect for a all inclusive resort.
One major area of opportunity was the mini bar restocking, called multiple times and didn’t get it taken care of for two days. But I think it comes down to the employees in the concierge and preferred club here, think they need to be changed out with some of the restaurant staff or shaken a little to take their jobs seriously. Don’t let this sway you Secrets Huatulco is great and this was my only complaint

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear guest,

We thank you very much for your message. It has been our pleasure to welcome you here in the splendid mexican coast, and we truly hope you will come back soon to our resort.

Regarding to the issues you had during your stay, we will share them to our Food and Beverages Manager. Be sure he will take them in account and will make the necessary changes.

Thank you again for your review, it is very important for our hotel and company to receive the feedbacks of our guests, in order to offer the best quality services.

Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just Got Back!
We had a FABULOUS time @ Secrets Huatulco. The ENTIRE staff provided us a vacation we will never forget and we will surely return to. The Entertainment staff, Lucy,Joey, Fabiola and others filled our recreation time with much fun,joy and pleasure. The service along with the food and drinks were great and very delicious as well!
The city of Huatulco and it's people are truly Mexican traditional that fills your heart,mind and soul with it's Mexican culture!
Ben & Adriana.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your feedback.

I will share your comments with our staff, and they will be for sure very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'm shocked that this resort has gotten a rating less than a 5. We've been to several Secrets resort and this is our favorite. Food was great (especially the Mexican restaurant Tamarindo), the staff was across the board friendly and helpful, the beach was beautiful, and the surf was just right for swimming and kayaking while we were there. There were ample umbrellas around the pool areas, and plenty of beach huts to provide shade. The property is built into a hillside, so there are lots of hills to climb in order to get around (necessary when there is so much to eat and drink all day!). if you don't like to walk, there were golf carts to take you around the property.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the preferred club when you get there. We got a discount and were in the 5100 block of ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear szwright,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I will send your message to all our staff. They will very pleased to read your review and know that you had such a great time with us.

We hope to see you soon here at Secrets Huatulco.

Best regards,

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I spent a whole week at this resort, and is beautiful experience

1- Mi first impression was the magnificent view. Is really amazing. The beach and the pools create a beautiful harmony and are almost poetical when you see it from the top of the hotel.

2- The best place to eat was the oriental restaurant. They have a teriyaki bar and the attention is really fantastic. The attention I receive from the sommelier was amazing. I guess his name is Jose, a great and experienced guy. There was another person who helped me a lot his name is Alan I believe he is some sort of a restaurant manager or supervisor. He was very useful and kind with me.

3- By the third day I take a trip to some places downtown and the concierge people was truly kind and helpfull. The trip to downtown was fun and colorful. This is a very warm and safe place. Don’t forget to go downtown. I eat some Italian food and get some ice creams at the park. It was awesome.

4- I got the chance to watch a couple of the shows at the theatre. They were very nice shows; the animation staff was absolutely warm with me and specially Ismael. He was simply amazing with me.

5- Before I get there I check the reviews from the hotel and there was something that catch my attention, Lot´s of travelers talk about a guitar guy, and I got the chance to hear him play. I guess his name is gorge, I´m a musician and this guy really surprises me. I never thought that a Latin resort have this kind of high quality musician with them. This guy is simply amazing; He can play songs in a way that make me feel nostalgic and amazed. I think the reviews were correct about this guy, there was a keyboard player too with a nice girl who sings beautiful and they do great job too.

6- The attention I got from all of the bar tenders and waiters were awesome and I really think this hotel is one of the best I ever be.

Thanks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Richard O,

Thank you very much for your message. It's a source of motivation for us to receive your comments; and to know we are working in the right way.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel.

If you didn't try our SPA yet, we invite you to go next time. You will see our therapists are incredible.

Gainesville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Do not go to this resort. It is disappointing in almost every way. The food is tasteless, the buildings need paint, the ocean is too rough for swimming or snorkeling, the activities are mostly for the agile water-sports groups or cancelled because of lack of usable equipment, the theatre shows are mostly a series of dances, the pools are in the blazing sun with very few umbrellas poolside, there are very limited gathering areas, and getting from place to place is difficult. The excursion company lied, saying that only their transport and excursions were safe. The $200 in resort credits promised for early payment consisted of coupons that were not very helpful to us. Example: $60 off a $250-$320 dinner (in an all-inclusive resort). The management refused to respond to our request for a meeting to discuss some of our concerns. Note that we gave a totally opposite review of excellence for another Mexican resort we enjoyed beyond all expectations. For Secrets Resort, we could list many more problems if we had much more space. We urge you not to go to this boring unacceptable resort.

Room Tip: The second floor has a good view of the bay and the best access to restaurants. First floor units h...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear PatriciaR21_13,

First of all we would like to say thank you for sharing your message. It is essential for our hotel to count with the feedback of our guests, in order to know if we are doing our job in the right way.

In this frame, we carefully read your message, and are sorry about the perception and the inconveniences generated during your stay.

Be sure we will take in account your comments; and will take the necessary measures required.

Best regards,

Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I just returned from a week at the Secrets in Huatulco. The food was excellent. I enjoyed all of the restaurants. The property was clean and well maintained. The staff were helpful and kind. The beach is a bit rocky and rough, but clean and safe and very secluded. I spent most of my time at the pools, which were wonderful. The recreation staff were a great bunch and I enjoyed many of the activities provided, such as the exercise classes, water aerobics, archery, food and drink classes. I found the Huatulco area to be very safe and did venture out in a taxi. I also took a tour of the area (The Three Levels of Huatulco) and thoroughly enjoyed seeing real Mexican culture. I ate bread made in open ovens sold to us by a woman carrying the bread in a basket on her head. I also ate tortillas made fresh. Huatulco is a small untouched area and is the perfect place to go and relax. I would recommend this hotel and this area of Mexico. Go before it gets too crowded and commercialized.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear lru528,

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at Secrets Huatulco. It has been our pleasure to welcome you here in the splendid mexican coast.

Huatulco is a place with plenty of tourist attractions and we truly hope to see you soon.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Warm regards from our resort & spa,

General Manager Assistant

Been to Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!