“Wonderful New Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa

You added Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Conejos, Lote 8, Huatulco 70989, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver B. C. Canada
“Wonderful New Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Went to Secrets Huatulco Dec 2012. Brand new --opened early Dec.
Beautiful location. All rooms have a view. Swim-out rooms not really worth the extra $$. Restaurants all have good quality food, and the house wines are very good. Drinks at the bars are great. Free wifi in lobby and the business centre has 5 new fast computers ( free ). Very hot here, and do bring bug spray. Saling, kayaking, snorkelling equip. all free

Room Tip: no need to get a "swim out" all room have great view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your message, it is very important for our hotel to receive the feedback of our guests, in order to take measures to improve our services when needed.

In this frame be sure we will take in account your comments.

We hope to see you soon again at our Resort.

Best regards,

Aurélien Pichereau
a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
Sooke, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

It was my pleasure to once again return to Secrets for my 12th visit with the chain from Dec6-20/11. l liked it so much extended my stay another week of my month stay in Huatulco.Thank you so very much for the excellent food,service lovely modern suites and fab beach The Staff are by far the kindest best People I have ever met before,It will be your pleasure to have ALBERTO arrrange a Spa treatment for you.He is a truely a diamond that shines bright!! The Spa is a highlight of this resort.The very best of all my visits to their great resorts.Had my wedding at Secrets Maroma DEC.4/09. I was very lucky to stay at all their Resorts in Mexico many times.Oh just to share a little info about me I am a CHEF from CANADA who has worked in yhe industry for a very long time.Thank you to Victor /Manager food& beverage services for arranging my kitchen tour & The FAB.Chef who gave me his time in His very busy day.You are doing a great job getting us very well fed! THANK YOU ! A HUGE THANK YOU to The Best Staff I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know ! You are the heart of the hotel. I wish I had been able to really Thank each and everyone one of you for how much it was my honour to spend a little life time with you !!!! Each department id doing a great job,THE WAITERS,BARTENDERS , ENTERTAINMENT,BELLBOYS,SECURITY,FRONTDESK,POOL,BEACH ATTENDENTS.CLEANERS,MAIDS,GARDENERS,HOSTESSES You are all treasures indeed!!! Hello to all my dear fellow travelers Uncle Steve&Doris you 2 are the very best ! Thank you both for the time I was so very happy to spend with YOU & of course the best tunes at the pool!! Hey were is my floatie! HA HA ! Hi to Gabe & Crystal ,Warren& Sara,Joe & Michelle.Tatianna & Family you are a delightful girl !! Mark& Mairon thanks for listening to me & of course the Gift ! MIKEY Thanks as well ! You guys rocked!! Dearest ED &Tony too I still miss You both so much. I hope you are all healled up ED and dancing !!Tony thanks for the laughter and the best company on our yatch !!!! KISS KISS ! THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR MAKING MY WORLD A BETTER PLACE !!!!1 LOVE YOU GUYS TOO MUCH !!!! Sorry to anyone i didnt mention. I will never forget you or a face,,,I hope I will have the honour& pleasure to return to Secrets Huatulco one day, I am homesick already BEST REGARDS TO ALL THANK EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU FROM MY HEART ! KIM BARLOW kimmich@telus.net

Room Tip: high floors have a fab view of the bay
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this wonderful review! I'm sure this will be very helpful to our guests. I encourage you to keep my contact information and please let me know when you are ready to come home again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I brought hundreds of dollers for tips and will be bringing most of it back with me. With rare exception there appears to be an appalling lack of training and systems. One waiter in italian restaurant was quite good and service there was better, but no where near great. Little if any "premium " booze as advertised. Rooms are clean & ac works. Ran out of hot water a couple times I wanted to shower. Food has been ok, but nothing remarkable, grasshoppers for lunch was different for mi.
lots of jellyfish, often in bay but their sting is less than a bee or wasp. My friends have been stung dozens of times, we're still alive.

A big issue also appears to be the attitude of some of the customers these all inclusive can attract.

Very nice place and location but poor service and attitude will keep me away

• Stayed January 2012
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I also was at Secrets last week with my family (son and wife, and daughter and friend). We had a fabulous trip. The last review summarized things very well. There are still some issues getting restaurants up to speed but these are minor considering the place has been going for only 2 or 3 weeks. When I looked at photos of the property, real and shopped, I had thought that it looked kind of blocky and ultra, large and squarish, too big for the beach. But when you are there it is quite remarkable. Whoever designed this place is a genius...lovely little areas divided from one another, at different levels, stunning views...the Sky Bar is terrific, I have not seen such a variety of infinity pools and the sheer size of the pools is quite extraordinary...we spent most days bouncing around in the water, moving from swim-up bar to sun to shade...thoroughly relaxing.....remarkably we did not use the beach that much...the young people in our group found some neat snorkelling on the next door beach which is very beautiful and quite secluded. The place needs some more places to escape the ever present sun.....50 more umbrellas would be welcome and would obviate the need to get up at 6 or 7 to stake out the "prime" poolside locations (same as most resorts).....Rooms were terrific...we had outdoor hot tubs on ground level second building up.....Nice but as noted previously the view on the upper floors without outdoor spas and swim-up pools are much better...all depends on what you want and how much time you want to spend on your balcony. The staff were very pleasant, competent and worked hard to keep guests happy. My son had a problem with the switch on the spa. Within 15 minutes a man appeared with a tooolkit, took it apart and had it working within the hour (hard to beat!!).....We did use the spa and this is a highlight!!! You must see this place....they have a neat hydrotherapy circuit...sauna, steam room, pools, showers, pool with all variation of jets...a great time even if you don't have a massage.....we all had massages and the therapists were well trained and excellent.....worth the trip to spend a few half days in this remarkable facility......
No bites but we stayed off the beach for the most part the the two who do react to these bites used repellent on the beach and on the golf course........
In summary....a great trip to a wonderful spot. We will return.

Room Tip: If you want a better view try to get a 2nd or 3rd floor in one of the upper buildings....these rooms...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2014

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

For an up & coming hotel the staff has no concept of how to treat their guests & when you’re on vacation the last thing you want to deal with are snooty, uneducated twits mistreating you; especially when they are paid & work in a service industry & should be there to assist the guests to ensure they have a pleasant & enjoyable stay. Did the Secrets staff not hear of such a thing of word of mouth advertising & testimonials? Aside from poorly trained reception staff, the housekeeping staff was very pleasant & thorough. Conejos Bay is beautiful however there was a lack of planning in the design concept of the hotel itself & the preferred suites aren’t worth it as your ocean view is blocked as they are located in lower levels & the Jacuzzis on the balconies are more like a bathroom baday (no view whatsoever from those Jacuzzis) & there is no privacy between the suites with Jacuzzis. So, you’re better off booking a regular room that have better views & private balconies (the regular rooms & preferred rooms are exactly the same, besides there’s a bigger Jacuzzi in the bathroom) or booking a preferred suite at the Dreams where the staff, overall is always friendly, helpful & respectful to their guests & the Jacuzzis on the balcony are worth it. Also Conejos is quite far, from both the center & the hotel district & in the night it’s quite a solitary ride. The layouts of the pools are beautiful, it’s a bit of a hike to & from the spa area, (not exactly what one craves after a relaxing massage), and the best aspect is that the weather in Huatulco is always a guarantee even if the hotel isn’t up to par yet. Internet is not available throughout the entire hotel yet either. Overall it is beautiful but the design concept wasn’t properly planned out & hopefully the reception staff will receive training IMMEDIATELY as they urgently require it & quite possibly some classes on proper etiquette & how to provide service with a smile.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

LOVED our week there( Dec 27th to Jan 3rd)
When we left I think it was 65% occupancy and things running pretty smoothly, no complaints from us.
Beautiful place, awesome views and pools……NO KIDS! I do like children, but so so nice NOT to have them at the pool and beach, restaurants …!
Totally relaxing.
Spotless at all times.
Huatulco itself feels very safe, we had been a bit wary of going to some other Mexican places at this time.

Hot…30+ every day, doesn't get cool in the evenings.

We stayed in Preferred junior suite in block E, great views, a first impression thrill to walk in and see room! No-one had stayed in it before us.
Comfortable ++ king sized bed and great pillows. fridge well stocked with Corona and soft drinks, water.. plus vodka, rum and scotch and snacks.
Weird having a semi-clear glass door to toilet and shower/bath, but we got used to it!
Loved the shower..overhead one and big jacuzzi tub.(with sliding door that opens onto bedroom if you like that)
Jacuzzi tub outside too, which we didn't use…but lots of people were.
Rooms were quiet, didn't hear any sound from neighbours. Sometimes noise from Sky Bar, as I went to bed ridiculously early some nights…but just put in ear plugs. No problem!

I liked having the preferred lounge, A/C was fine now and tasty snacks and drinks there, while using computer.

wifi…not working yet where we were, which turned out to be a bonus really for my peace. Can pick it up in lobby, lounge and Sky Bar. However if wifi is important ask for a room where there is good reception.

Pools…awesome, amazing…infinity pools. Towels++ no restriction on how many and no "borrowing cards". Lots of sun beds.
LOTS going on if you want it…activities throughout day..zumba, pool aerobics, dance lessons, cocktail lessons, trampoline bungee, archery, pottery painting, shooting etc etc
Beach…snorkelling, can loan flippers and snorkels no charge…kayaks, sail boats.

Nightly entertainment, shows in the theatre at 9:30…excellent quality…not like the cheesy ones we had in Cuba!
Live music in the Sky Bar
We were there for New Years dinner which was spectacular, followed by firework display.

Spa…heard great things…didn't go. Gym…I was way too lazy, but great location. Why people just can't let themselves go when on holiday I do not know...ha ha. Looked great though,on the very top of hill, the treadmills facing the ocean view.

Swim up bar great place to meet people…"Willy" is an awesome bar tender.
Sky Bar was also a good time, met some fun people from all over.
Lots of couples there but also singles and very easy to join in with everyone. Also same sex couples and very gay-friendly, which should go without saying I know…but sometimes places aren't.

9 Restaurants:
Food was excellent !
4 restaurants open each night for dinner
Enjoyed NOT having to make reservations. There can be some wait at peak times, but we ate early 6:30 and never had to wait. If there is a build up at a certain time you get a pager, so you can wander off to bar and not have to wait right there.
Some of the staff still training, but so helpful.
Tamarind (Mexican) loved the day of the dead themed decoration.
Favourite…Spice (Japanese)…awesome sushi, top notch (and we eat a lot of sushi at home). Tip..order more than you would usually…a roll is 3 pieces instead of usual 6.
Oceana (seafood)..we went twice, fabulous. The lovely Selene works there and Margarito, awesome waiter,
Castaways..had lunch, delicious.
Buffet is really good…has everything . All the staff are very helpful and trying their best..so many, I wish I remembered more names but Humberto stands out.
Barefoot burger bar by the pool enjoyed by many.
Liked them all…the only one we didn't have time to try was Cin Cin.

WINE…and I am very fussy…house wine excellent, Merlot or Cab Sav, both very good. Or you can pay extra from a large selection

Staff is great everywhere. Miguel the manager seems to be everywhere at once, he does an awesome job.

It says tips included, but we tipped at every meal and at bar…also on trips and to the tour guides at hotel. They all do a great job and need the extra tip money.

Re bugs..we had no bites and didn't see any mosquitoes. Don't lie in the sand as you will get sand flea bites! Otherwise I went walking along the beach early am and didn't get any bites.
The only few we got were on the trails of the coffee plantation in the thick of the jungle up there…and only in places we hadn't sprayed with Off.

Trips:
we went on the Sunset Cruise, loved it…peaceful, great photos.
Spouse went on fishing trip…not recommended for serious fishing, better to arrange through other channels at Santa Cruz. Caught fish, but you can get held up with one inexperienced person reeling in a fish.

Coffee plantation…go on Monday, then you get a stop at the huge bustling market in Pochutla "real Mexico" great photo ops.
plantation was very interesting, saw all processes of coffee production, treck through the plantation (about 30 mins) wear runners or walking shoes, rough terrain in parts. Delicious lunch.

If you walk to the end of the beach you can go through onto a completely empty beach and bay.
Good snorkelling right off hotel beach.

Next time I would take more dressy clothes for the restaurants (dress code in some) but it is fairly relaxed for women, men should wear long pants, dress shirts and shoes. Also there is the excellent buffet if you want to be super casual.(The food is just as good)

Money..no ATM.
We took Canadian money to exchange at desk…tip, has to be in perfect condition…they can't change any notes with rips etc.

Overall LOVED LOVED everything and will definitely go back.
I can't think of anything that I would change…except to stay longer.

Room Tip: Higher up better views, lower down closer to pools...all have ocean views, so really depends on what...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2014

Houston tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We are a group of 6 to 8 that have been traveling together to Mexico for the last 20 years. We have stayed at alot of all incusives hotels in Mexico and have found good and bad in each of of them.
We arrived on day 2 of the grand opening of Secrets Huatulco and the check-in went very well.
We were able to go to our room after check-in. The rooms are very nice but do not stay on the bottom floor with the smalll hole called the hot tube outside your sliding glass door it has no view of the beach and might fit 1 person with no privacy. The food was hit and miss as we had to wait for about 3 hrs each night for our meal due to the size of our group I think the staff was not able to understand our orders due to the English barrier. The pools were very nice and the swim out bartender Willy was great and staff was all very nice. We really liked the area and went into town for about $5.00. We plan on going back sometime this summer in hopes after a few months will improve on the service and hope they can work out some of the challenges they had at the grand opening week.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for the bottom floor with the hot tub or private pool. Some of the rooms have no b...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!