“Lovely Place, but some disappointments” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort

You added Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort to your Saves list
Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Benito Juarez | Bahias de Huatulco, Huatulco 70989, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
North Vancouver, Canada
“Lovely Place, but some disappointments”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our first ever trip to Mexico in April. For the most part the people at the hotel were lovely and did everything they could to make your stay wonderful. Some staff speak very good English, and others try their best, they are all very sweet. I speak fluent Spanish, so language was not an issue for us. Club Premium was a good buy as well, and came in handy many times. The lounge on the main floor is a good place to cool off, have a snack, and check e-mail. The food was nothing special, but there was lots of it and the service in the restaurants was excellent. At the Mexican restaurant you can try traditional dishes of the region. The beach and pool are beautiful and clean, although as many people say, the water is pretty rough and not ideal for children or weaker swimmers. There were lots of tiny bugs in the bathroom, and the rooms were fumigated during our stay, which we were notified about by a note under our door with the date stating the fumigation would be occurring the day before (?). We both got sick at one point during our stay, me needing to see the doctor who was prompt and kind. I am still, however, sick 2 months after our trip with no diagnosis from any doctor in Canada. I lived for several years in South America and have never had any sickness like this. We also needed to get a refund from the activities people in the front lobby, due to this illness, who accommodated us with only half of our money back, although we cancelled well before the 24 hour cut-off. We also had a fraudulent credit card charge (for women's clothing from an online Mexican company) made after using our card only once during our stay. The vacation company has still not responded to our complaint. As many reviewers say, the hotel is dated, but it was still a very lovely atmosphere. Before booking, we had heard from several people that the Barcelo chain is normally exceptional, perhaps this is at some of their other locations.

Room Tip: Extra for an ocean view room is a good idea, beautiful views! Downside, if you like to go to bed ear...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Barceló Huatulco back in April. We had a great time. The place was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. My girlfriend has Celica and as such food is always at the forefront when we go on vacation. The head chief Gilberto NAVARRO was truly amazing. He catered to her every need and prepare special dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He went above and beyond to ensure she was able to eat safely.

The beach was nice but a little small for walking. The hotel is a little older but we had no issues. The room was nice and housekeeping was always at the ready to ensure the room was clean.

We would go back.

Dave and Lins

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Pros:
Rooms are clean.
Employees are friendly (Even with Language Barrier)
Air conditioning works well.
Beds are soft and comfy!
Water pressure was strong/ lots of hot water
Beach is awesome for the pacific side of Mexico.
Safe atmosphere
Cons:
Food was readily available (7am-10pm, but barely anything after 10pm)
The resort is showing its age.
Food is mediocre… (Nothing to write home about) (Did find amazing food locally)
Couldn’t get a drink before 10AM on beach (Alcoholic or not)

Well this was my 6th time to Mexico and the destination is awesome! If I want to relax I will return here. Others compared the resort/night life to that of a senior’s lodge, which is true. But this is why I picked this destination. The night life in Cabo or Cancun is 10X better. I would not recommend this destination for singles, but is a good destination for couples to visit. I found they do not cater to people in the 18-35 year old range at the resort. Lack of activities during the day. (if that’s what you’re in to) Its target demographic would be to families and older couples. If I was to return I would choose Secrets or Dreams to change up the scenery. Weather was awesome! No clouds or rain while we were here. Snorkelling out by the island is awesome and free! Beach is clean but does have a brutal “wake?” (the current pulls you around) If I was to rate my experience at the resort I would give it 8 out of 10.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had a great vacation at this hotel. All all inclusive environment with friendly staff and great food. My kids and I loved the attention and the facilities. The day trips are very enjoyable. all the services worked the staff was friendly and the scenery outstanding. we were able to swim in the ocean and take boat tours at a good rate. The best value is in the off season.

Room Tip: When travelling with kids this is a great place to stay. Also excellent when travelling alone or wit...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We've been to Huatulco before, but never to this hotel, our previous experiences were always good ones, but the experience at Barcelo was not pleasant at all.
- The front desk people were unpolite, completely unfriendly;
- After a rainy night the pool was always dirty with tons and tons of mosquitos and other insects, we asked (the next morning) if they could clean the pool and they said the do it every night, and because it was an open pool it was normal to have insects inside and they couldn´t do anything about it. You couldn´t swimm, or you could at your own risk (having tons of mosquitos all over your body)
- The hotel has 5 restaurants, but in June they open only 1 for breakfast, 2 for lunch and 2 for dinner, the hotel was packed and several times we had to queue.
- There´s no free wifi in the hotel, you have to pay $12 per day! (good thing is you have a coffee shop very close with wifi)
- The front desk people were unpolite, completely unfriendly
- We realized that for 2 days they put dirty towels in our bathroom (the ones we used the day before and we put on the floor) we asked several times for clean towels and after several calls and more than 2 hours waiting we finally received the towels.. We spent 3 days calling the front desk for hand towels ´cause the room service lady kept forgetting them.
- The food is ok, the service is better at the buffet restaurants than in the "special" restaurants (where you have to make a reservation), I asked for coffee and the waitress told me that she needed to go downstairs (to the buffet restaurant) so it was better if I ordered something else
- The hotel is old, so don´t expect nothing fancy

If you want a cheap hotel with an average-poor service, this is the best choice, but there certainly are way better options in Huatulco than Barcelo.
If you don´t have kids and don´t mind not having a pool, I completely recommend San Agustinillo, a beautiful bay with beautiful cabains.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have been to many places in Mexico and Huatulco was really different. It was less developed, just enough to be comfortable for tourists, but not so much that you felt you were at a beach resort back home. A/C bus was waiting for us, check in was fast and accurate when we arrived. The employees at the front of the hotel, who were helping with luggage, taxi's and everything in between were excellent - we remembered Amado De La Cruz as he always said hi to our kids and showed them Iggy the Iguana who liked to sunbathe on the awning.

The hotel was beautifully landscaped with fountains and marble. It was located in a large cove with a few other hotels. The beach never felt crowded and was beautifully kept. The surf could be rough but at times in the day it was calm and fun to splash around in - check out the school of fish south of the hotel on the beach - they will come and swim around your legs.

The weather was fantastic - sunny and hot for two weeks. The resort had two pools - we used the family pool - and it was the perfect temperature and received some shade in the afternoon. The hotel checked the pool water daily. They had two nicely set tennis courts - one with a basketball hoop - and a gym. The shows were in a separate theater and we really liked that they served small bags of popcorn. There was not the steady stream of sellers on the beach as they have a regulated system of each seller getting a specific beach/day every week. It's a good idea! There is enough shade/sun combination - everyone is looking for shade so those areas are more popular. Sunscreen is expensive - don't leave home without a few bottles. We took bug spray but never used it. Nice sitting areas throughout and a lively bar at night. A great place for families.

We were there while they celebrated Earth Day and it was AMAZING... the resort turned off the lights and had a candle light show. They also had an incredible Mexican Fiesta night the first week we were there - outdoors by the Kid's Club with the buffet set on tables in the grassy areas. Felt like a neighborhood party - 5 stars for that night!

The food was excellent with a lot of choices - 10 salads, 6 entrees, some old stand-by's like hamburgers/hotdogs/fries - homemade soup every day and no less than five dessert choices with a soft serve ice cream machine. The kids loved it! The only suggestion I would make is to rotate the menu every two weeks as it seems that there was no duplication for one week and then the same menu for week two. The quality was great and we saw the quality control staff checking temperatures and quality every meal. The head chef was always roaming around making sure the quality was great. The Kids Club area looked great with a playground and "jungle jim" thing - we didn't use it but would have if our kids were younger.

The rooms were nice - we had an amazing side view of the ocean - a large balcony - with beautiful flowers growing in the planters. It looked like all the rooms had this if they were on the higher floors. There was a safe in the room - big enough to fit your IPAD - which worked great - it's true that you can go across the street to the coffee shop and get free WIFI with a coffee purchase - worked great for us. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was clean but needs to be updated.

The town - La Cruzecita - was safe and fun and a $4 cab ride. It was nice to walk around and check it out. There is an awesome jeweler - he can take all your silver jewellery - melt it down and make you a piece you really like for a great price. Joyeria "Centenario" located on "Calle Guarombo #305 - check him out on facebook - jose manuel gandarilla banos - he did a great job for me and he's very charismatic as well! Figure out what you want - take him a photo and he'll make it for you. We enjoyed meeting him and his son. We were impressed by the road infrastructure to the town and from the airport which was recently improved.

The staff was very helpful and always saying hello and friendly. We were impressed by the service of Elena Baca, Itzel Ramirez, Trinida Veronica, Gabriel and Jose. By the beach the lifeguards were always on watch and we had great service from Josue Valdivieso who worked security down by the beach. He was always willing to help and always happy making a great impression with the guests down by the beach.

Don Luis, Lorenzo and Jorge were in charge of the resort and were always around checking to see how things were getting done. We were pleasantly surprised to see upper management rolling up their sleeves, clearing plates or with a stack of glasses in their hands. If something needed to get done-everyone pitched in to get it done. This sense of team was the prevalent around the resort. Barcelo should be recognizing this hotel! It felt great experiencing this as a guest.

It is more expensive to go to Huatulco but we think it's worth saving a bit - you'll be glad you did!

Room Tip: All rooms had nice view - some of them were side views but still as beautiful. The higher the better...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The one comment I can make is that I wish the trip was more luxurious. We booked the Premium Club room and it was very average. The location of the room was great as we were beach front but we were on the main floor so the balcony and privacy was average. The services for Premium Club was worth the extra money. The Lounge had excellent food and services. The room service was also great. You can ask for premium drinks at the restaurants and they bring it for the Premium Club members. Very impressive.

The best thing about Barceló Huatulco was location. It was beautiful. The beach, the sea, the weather. We snorkeled off the beach numerous times with the kids and the activities center was excellent to providing us with life jackets, boogie boards etc. The area is undeveloped. The airport is small and the drive to the resort was through a dried up jungle and it was only about 30 minutes.

We have 2 children (ages 9 and 6). The pool was great for them. It was big and not too deep. Though they loved swim up bars but it was only available in the adult area. My parents came along with us and they enjoyed the adult pool and area.

The only restaurants we cared for were the buffets. We normally prefer a la cart and went to all of the restaurants, except the Spanish, and thought it was just ok. The buffet was fresh and had good variety. It was one of the best buffets we've been to. The grill cooks were all fun to talk to and the service was always good. The drinks were nothing special except the Coronas in the mini bar. With Premium Club, you can ask them to bring more beer during room service, which was included.

What I didn't care for the most were the vendors. We've been to Mexico 9 times and never had we had so many vendors on the beach. They also hang out in groups on the beach right at the resort which kills the ambiance for me as they stare at me every time I walk pass. Over the weekend, I cannot sit for more than 2 minutes on the beach without someone approaching me. So annoying. The other downside of our trip was the weekend when they dropped off two bus loads of locals. The resort was at capacity and being Canadian, I waited for my turns but most locals don't. Some of the staff moderated this but some didn't. It was very busy and not relaxing. We usual go in late April to avoid crowds and didn't expect this at all.

I am not sure if it was just the timing but there were mosquitos in the evening. It was hard to sit on our balcony in the evening without being bitten. We made a comment and they spray our balcony and room but a couple of days later, the mosquitos returned. We spoke to friends who were there early March and they didn't see any mosquitos. We're not fans of mosquitos.

Overall, our trip was good. I think it would have been much better if we didn't hit the capacity weekend. Sunwing Vacations was excellent as usual.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!