“Excellent service, for a cheap price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort

You added Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort to your Saves list
Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Benito Juarez | Bahias de Huatulco, Huatulco 70989, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 15% discount
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Huatulco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Excellent service, for a cheap price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was the first time I have gone to a Barcelo resort. So I will not be able to compare it to others, and so I may have a different view on it then other people who have went to other Barcelo resorts.

I will start off with the only one small little thing that I would recommend the owners to do to make this a resort that everyone would come back over and over again, would be to upgrade the bathrooms and floors in the suits. But this, in my opinion is soooo minor!

First off, I have to agree completely with other views on the service and staff here!! WOW!!! is all I can say. They are sooo ready to please and be of any service to you. I have been to 5 star resorts, and the services and workers are sooooo much better! I have personally never had drink guys come around the pool to get you a drink as often as Barcelo boys did for our week stay. I'm not saying that the minute one drink was done, did i have another, but that is unrealistic. So they came around regular, which is more then I would have expected. The food was good. Never felt like it was reheated or reused (which is what i like most about the food) I am no food critic, so I enjoyed the food most of the time. I personally thought the food was better in the indoor buffet rather then the outside, but the view was soo pretty so we ate mostly at the outside buffet.

It is a small resort... but i personally like that better. Everything was close together, and easy to learn the resort in a day or two. The beach was so/so and I say this with not Barcelo's fault at all. The waves are big and constant and the locals said it was like this for the months of April,May and June so please keep this in mind if you like to swim, snorkel off the beach. We had black flag or Red flag all week. The beach is a bit steep due to the intensity of the waves, of pushing the sand up. The water was warm (for us Canadians) but to the locals, they felt it was too cold. haha would love to see them swim in our Ontario lakes.

The activities and entertainment was AWESOME. went to a few shows, and they work really hard. The activites around the pool was my highlight as that's where I was most of the day due to not being able to swim in the ocean. Oliver was just one name to mention, and he was amazing and fun to get involved with. The activity prizes for adults were really nice and generous, So i'm glad I got to win one :)

my brother and sis in law upgraded to premium for more money, and they had a few extra perks but I personally was happy with out, and glad to have saved the money. We were in 433 and was able to see the pool and beach, which was very nice.

All in All, it was a great vacation, nice resort. and i am left with great pics and good memories. I couldn't ask for more. :) Thank you all at Barcelo Huatulco for a wonderful trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I upgraded to Premium service and it was well worth it! We had private check in upon arrival (everyone else stood in line for a long time!), a wonderful corner suite on the 3rd floor with awesome view, king bed (very comfortable!) ultra white, clean linens, stocked minibar daily (included), champagne in our room upon arrival, free wifi in the room, turn down service every evening, very clean - bathrooms sanitized daily! Wifi costs $12.50 a day if you are not premium, so that was great. We also had access to the private premium lounge that had great snacks and meals, premium liquor, free internet and great service. It was a nice quiet room to get away from all the people and just relax. The girl with the white glasses (sorry, can't remember her name) booked our a la cartes, which were unlimited, as well as provided any information and services that we required. The young gentleman named Jose Vizorretea working in the Premium lounge was especially delightful - so friendly, hard working and helpful! Hope he gains the recognition he deserves!

Meals in the a la cartes had exceptional service and presentation was top notch. The sushi restaurant was the exception - I had a bad experience after eating there, so would not recommend it!

We enjoyed the beach loungers during the day; the pool was pretty crowded and was too warm for us. There were also quite a few children there and tended to be noisy. Must comment about Oliver who organized all the activities around the pool even though we did not partake, we talked to him on a few occasions and he was always enthusiastic and very hard working. Our beverage server on the beach was Fernando, yet another wonderful, friendly and very efficient young man. Everyone loved him!

There are plenty of activities in the area if you want to be busy. We were only there a week so preferred to spend our time relaxing. Some people we met went on a tour to the waterfalls and in hindsight we should have gone there. It was a whole day excursion and their pictures looked amazing. Next time.....

We went in the water the first couple of days but after that the waves were too high and we were not allowed in the water. Walking the beach daily was wonderful though, the bay is very beautiful. Yes, there were plenty of vendors but they were not pushy and didn't bother you if you were reading or had your eyes closed!

We would definitley recommend the Barcelo for the value, and the Huatulco area for the beauty and wonderful people!

Sunwing does a great job... friendly service, champagne and wine as well as hot meal and free movie on flight!

Room Tip: Room 349 is awesome! It is a corner suite overlooking the ocean on one side and the pool on the oth...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Albert, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Travelled with two other couples April 2-9 from Edmonton, AB with Sunwing. Great service, on time, comfortable flight.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were met with a welcome drink and promptly assigned our rooms. Our friends who had upgraded to premium were provided a separate check-in. The premium guests also had a separate lounge where they could book their a la cartes, had a little bar and food area, pool tables, movies for their room, etc. We had requested 3rd floor ocean-view room with a king-size bed; our room was 363, ocean view with 2 double beds which had been pushed together.

As a travel agent, I had contacted the hotel prior to our arrival and requested a site inspection. It was arranged for April 3; I met Miguel Narvaez, one of the hotel managers, and he provided a most informative tour of the resort. The hotel was at capacity, there were many Mexican guests as it was the second week of their annual two week holiday around Easter. The rest of the guests were mainly Canadian, with a few Americans.

Food: buffets were top-notch, small but enough variety to provide even picky eaters with something to eat. I generally hate buffets and found this to be one of the best we’ve experienced. Hot food was hot; cold food was cold and there were often supervisors/managers inspecting the food service area. We had four a la cartes (Spanish, Mexican and twice to the seafood/steak restaurant). We found the meals in the a la cartes were all quite good. We never felt rushed to leave and generally lingered for some time after our meals.

The hotel also has a special Mexican themed evening each week; while we were there the hotel set up staging and a huge buffet in one of the garden areas. They also set up a big barbeque for the Sunwing guests one evening per week.

Rooms: as others have noted, the rooms were a bit dated however very clean. During my hotel tour, I was told that the tv’s and beds were all new as of December 2012. The beds were the most comfortable we have slept on in all our Mexico trips. All rooms have a balcony and most have a view of the ocean. We had towel art every day, even on the one where I had forgotten to leave a tip.

Bars: pool bar, beach bar, lounge bar and disco. We paid a visit (or two!) to all of the bars and found the service good to great at all. Although we tipped for some rounds we found there to be no difference to the service we received when we didn’t provide a tip.

Beach/pool: although the hotel was at capacity, there were always empty chairs upon arrival around 8 am, usually at the beach. We found chairs mid-morning at the beach as well. There were a lot of beach vendors but they generally left us alone when we said no. Some of us did buy jewelry (from both George & Victor). The pieces were nice and they seemed fairly priced. We also purchased jewelry in town – the beach vendor prices were definitely better and the quality seems just as good.

We hired a van to tour us around the area and enjoyed that. Saw a little of both Santa Cruz and La Crucecita as well as the surrounding bays and beaches.

Overall we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful in all areas of the hotel. I would most definitely recommend the Barcelo Huatulco to my clients and would return.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My husband, 12 year old son & I visited the Barcelo Feb 26 to March 5, 2013. This is our second time to the Huatulco area and first time to the Barcelo. We booked a premium club room and were extremely happy with our room - it was ground floor (which we normally don't like) but was right behind the beach with an incredible view!!! There was a hammock on our HUGE balcony which we all enjoyed daily. We also really enjoyed the premium lounge where we would meet our friends, who joined us on the trip, for a drink and some snacks before dinner. Both the bar and the food is excellent in the lounge!

The food at this resort is excellent - good quality and well prepared! There were very few things that we ate that we did not enjoy. Really enjoyed the mimosa's at breakfast! Maria, who is a hostess at the buffet restaurant at the beach is amazing! She remembered us from the first time she met us & was always warm and helpful.

We really enjoyed the live music in the lobby bar at 7pm every evening. The evening entertainment was okay, however I am sure that is was the same (or at least very close) to the same shows they put on at the Barcelo in Ixtapa.

The helpfulness of the front desk staff varies - it really depends on who you get. We had no issues, however our friends did get a run around when they were unhappy with their room.

This is not an overly "active" resort. They do have some daytime activities but overall is more laid back.

The resort is extremely clean! All of the staff, from the gardeners on up, work hard on this!
We love the Huatulco area and would not hesitate returning to the Barcelo again.

Room Tip: If you can afford it choose a ground floor premium room! Worth it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My family and I went back to the Barcelo this year. We always enjoy Huatulco and there were some very good deals to be had in April 2013. We found the hotel was holding it's own, excellent service, good food, convenient location, excellent entertainment in the evenings.

We spent most of our time touring the area, the smaller beaches,the new Ecological Centre with Mixtec Ruins, the Turtle Sanctuary, the Lagoons at Ventinella, etc. We visited Puerto Angel area beaches. Stunning weather and strong surf.

On the down side the beach at the Barcelo is steep. The Pacific has some strong tides in April and most of the time the beach at the hotel was certainly not swimmable and hardly walkable. The pool alternative was hardly refreshing as the water was very warm in April.

Still, all in all very good value and an excellent base for our holiday.

Room Tip: Upgrade to premium when you get there.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Our family stayed at the Barcelo Huatulco from Mar. 26th until Apr. 2nd and had a fantastic time. We booked this trip as a last minute get-away as the price was right and the reviews seemed quite good. We knew nothing about Huatulco until a few days before our trip. Let me say we were pleasantly surprised. First off the weather is amazing! Best week of weather we have had while on vacation. 35 deg's everyday and I'm not sure that we saw a cloud the whole week! People in Huatulco are very friendly and the area is very safe and clean. As reported, the rooms are outdated and are in need of upgrades but they they were clean and provided us everything we needed. We had a nice room overlooking the pool and the ocean. Everything from our airport transfer to our check-in went very smooth. There were lots of activities to keep our kids busy as we relaxed in the pool and the ocean. We are not picky eaters and found the food was fine with plenty of variety. We did try all the a la carte restaurants and found the Spanish one to be the best. The shows at night were suprisingly very entertaining. They had an outdoor bbq and show one night and it was great! I can honestly say everyone who works at the resort tries very hard to do the best job that they can. Language is a bit of a barrier but eventually they can figure out what you are asking for.
One thing to be aware of is that there are quite a few locals that use this resort. That did not pose a problem for us as we were just there to relax, but I did notice that the locals would get quicker service at the restaurants and bars which irritated some travellers. We only had poor service the one night in the Mexican restaurant but other than that we didn't wait long the whole week for anything really. Also just remember, that the beach is public and there are MANY vendors. I found if you were polite and just said no, then they left you alone, but if you are sitting near the beach be prepared to be approached. All in all it was exactly what we were looking for..some family time R&R in great weather. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our early morning beach walks with our coffee. We would definately go back to Huatulco!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Barcelo Huatulco March 26- April 9,2013. We had a great time. The resort was wonderful. The weather was hot everyday, the beach just beautiful! The rooms are a bit dated, but very clean! We chose the premium club and got a fantastic room with a wrap around balcony and views of both the ocean and the pool area.We ate in all the Alacartes and liked the Spanish one the best. Fabiola was a gracoius hostess and our waiters were terrific! The premium club room was so great. Jose Vizorietea was lovely. He gave us great service and on my birthday tracked us down at the restaurant to bring me a cake! We enjoyed breakfast and lunch daily in the Tortuga buffet and always had great sevice from our favourite waiter Ricardo Morales and from the hostess Sofia. She always had a big smile and friendly welcome. Octavio was also great in the premium club and also the other waiter Ricardo not sure of his last name. We were always up early with the music of the surf and birds, so didn't have trouble finding lounge chairs. We took a great boat tour of the bays with Tony Lopez. I have really no complaints for the entire vacation and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!