We waited to write this review in the meantime read some of the more recent ones submitted and to be honest cannot understand some of these opinions.
We stayed at the Barcelo, Dec 18th to 25th. We are seasoned travellers aged 74/65 and Mexico has always been one of our favorite destinations but it was our first time in Huatulco and what a pleasant experience. The weather was exceptional in the mid to higher 30's and sunny.
We travelled with Sunwing can't say much except yes the trip was long and once we checked out of the airport it was about another 1-1/2 hrs before we reached our hotel. The check-in was well orgainzed and we were in our room in no time. The room was on the ground floor, clean,huge and comfortable with a nice view. The mini bar was stocked everyday with water, soft drinks, beer and some small snacks, towels and other toiletries were never a problem, the maid service was good. They even provided a bathrobe for each of us in the room, which we did not use.
The hotel staff was friendly, polite and helpful. The servers did not hassle you for tips as we found in other AI resorts, they thanked you and remembered you the next time. Our motto has always been live and let live. The two buffet restaurants were clean and adequate, there was always a good variety, but reading the reviews I guess you cannot please everyone. The breakfast menu was exceptional, unlimited champagne breakfast every morning, not many AI hotels offer this and not to mention the smoked salmon, cream cheese as well as the abundant fresh tropical fruit. We did not make use of the a-la-carte restaurants as such except the Don Quite(Spanish)and that was only for a little variety. We found it to be o.k. nothing exceptional. They could have provided some music as they had a beautiful grand piano displayed but unused.
The evening entertainment in the lobby with it's pleasant quaint Mexican decor and live band was thoroughly enjoyable however short. In our estimation they could have kept the band going till at least 9 p.m. The xmas decor everywhere and the beautifully decorated xmas trees were a wonder. They had them everywhere in the lobby, in the dining areas, at the hotel enterance, it really made if feel like xmas at home without the snow and cold weather.
The grounds were lush and immaculate. The Adult Pool was large, clean and well seperated from the kids pool, however, yes we did find the odd time kids in the pool but as soon as you brought it to their attention they quickly left. The one thing we missed is a shower near the pool so people could wash off the oil and sweat before entering.
Yes, unfortunately you had to reserve your lounge chair around the pool early(e.g. 7-7:30 a.m.) or you had a hart time finding one. This again is quite common everywhere you go. The hotel could provide more lounge chairs/palapas around the pool and check for broken chairs as a number of them needed to be replaced.
The beach was nice but in our personal experience we found the water to be a bit choppy and difficult to exit but than we are seniors and this is not the hotel's fault.
Again, yes the hotel was occupied by mainly Mexican guests with smaller children but as unbelievable as it may sound they were very well behaved. The parents kept them in check.We found them to be friendly and courteous. We would definitely go back again, of course if the price is right.
In all fairness I would give this hotel a 4 star overall and anyone else giving it less is but a picky traveller, after all what does one want from a vacation in the sun: good weather, nice beach/pool, clean comfortable rooms, friendly staff, edible food and drink and your vacation is made.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Huatulco Beach Hotel Huatulco
- Barcelo Huatulco Beach Hotel
- Barcelo Huatulco
- Barcelo Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barcelo Huatulco Beach invites you to experience the hottest new resort location in Mexico without the hustle and bustle of a big city. Huatulco Bays is quickly becoming a key tourist Mexico beach attraction, offering well-preserved natural landscapes combined with luxury accommodations. This resort is well-positioned in the center of a cove, overlooking dazzling golden beaches and the sapphire blue waters of the Pacific Ocean. Live your dream vacation as you bury your feet in the sand, sip a cool drink and watch the waves roll onto shore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Barcelo, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Agoda, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.