“Barcelo Huatulco Beach is like a second home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort

You added Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort to your Saves list
Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Benito Juarez | Bahias de Huatulco, Huatulco 70989, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 15% discount
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Huatulco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mendota, Illinois
“Barcelo Huatulco Beach is like a second home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Susan and I found the Barcelo Huatulco Beach by serendipity. How lucky we were! Since our first trip in January of 2002 we have returned approximately 40 times. There are many reasons, starting with the the management and all employees including maid service. We have always been made to feel welcome and they try to meet all needs. The rooms are very good, the ala carte restaurants serve excellent food, and the specialty restaurants are superb. We have spent time at the Barcelo in nearly every month during different years and the service is always outstanding! Safety is of no concern. I give my highest kudos to the Barcelo Huatulco Beach!
Dean Lubbs

Room Tip: We prefer the west wing, but all rooms are fine.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

This will be our eleventh trip and we always stay at the Barcelo! The staff is really very consistent for we have made lasting friendships! Entertainment improves yearly as do the costumes.Variety of food is fantastic - especially when the chef prepares and serves the fresh-caught yellow-fin tuna from the afternoon's fishing trip! We love this well-kept secret rendezvous!
Have checked out the other five hotels and they do not measure up, value-wise.

Room Tip: We have been up, down, front and center and never had a poor room!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Kamloops, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

First time to Huatulco, we stayed at the Barcelo for 2 weeks. The first day was stressful as we always have to play the mexican shuffle. Our room had 2 double beds pushed together and they call it a king. Well thats not right, so finally 2 days later we shuffled & received the same bed. My husband very upset went to the front desk for the fifth time & we finally received our king bed. After that we enjoyed our stay. We love Huatulco quiet,comforable,cheap taxis and good food. Love the cheese,papaya & mangoes! It's a safe place american money can't be used unless you have a passport so don't bring it; use debit..

Room Tip: We were in 3 rooms and took the room with the king bed. The higher up the better unless you are nea...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Made reservations for Don Quijote Restaurant and when Iwe got there they told us they had no table. After waiting 20 minutes for our table they told us they have a table for four and and table for two. we told them, "that was unacceptable because we had reservations for six". After waiting about 10 more minutes they told us we could no get in because one person in our party had shorts. They should had told us before making us wait 30 minutes for the table, and also Barcelo, is an all inclusive resort hotel at a beach no sure how many people from outside Mexico go to a place like Barcelo carrying a formal attire. People I know when going to a beach don't carry formal attire. we were with nice and clean clothing. We didn't come from the beach to the restaurant.
We were no impressed with the food at all no a great variety, lack of presentation and no very clean and the fruits and vegetables were no fresh.
Lack of entertainment during the day and even worse during the night.
One of our toilets got plugged and even after three phone calls nobody came to fix it.
The A/C was poorly working.
Over all the hotel is outdated. TVs are old, safety deposit box are old. We have to carry around a necklace for the safety box. Wi-Fi was only available at a extra fee. We came from Ixtapa and Acapulco and both of the Hotels we stay were a lot more accomodating and welcome to the tourist. WI-Fi was available for free. This was my first time at a Barcelo Hotel and it is going to be my last one too. I went because of my friends. This was their third time and this one was their last one too.
We won't reccomend Huatulco Hotel to anybody that ask us. Over all no a good experience.

Room Tip: got a room next to one of their stores. We request to be change and they told us the next day but th...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Just got back yesterday from the Resort. Booked through Apple vacations. While we can't control the weather it wouldv'e been nice if the Apple rep mentioned it was the rainy season in this area. When I was researching Mexico vacations, Funjet mentioned to me Cancun was in their Hurricane season. I know you can't control weather but my choice would have been different with some forewarning. It rained everyday we were there. I booked a late departure flight on the last day with the expectation of enjoying the resort for as long as possible but ended up having to checkout at 1pm and sit in the lobby for 5 hours while it poured outside. And No the Hotel wouldn't give us a late checkout to at least relax in a our room and watch tv.
Our Apple rep was only there 4 out of the 7 days. And seemed to be the one of the FEW who could speak passable english. The resort is VERY popular with vacationing Mexicans. I think us and a 2 other people there were caucasian american so communication was extremely difficult. I did encounter some fellow vacationers willing to translate with the staff for me. More often than not though we felt very left out. The staff while polite, were more concerned with serving and helping the spanish speaking customers than us. Was ignored more often than not at the front desk. The concierge though was so nice all week. Willing to lend a hand and interpret as needed.
It is written in their Hotel policy that money can be exchenged 24/7 yet on 3 different occasions we were told to come back later or the next day. My husband finally got angry and frustrated and raised his voice to which magically they were able to exchange some money for us.
The rooms were ok. I had reserved 2 rooms. Requested 2 dble beds, adjacent or adjoining and we got 1 king and 2 dbl,. adjoining. Was supossed to get a beach view upgrade, but were placed on the 3rd floor and my view was of a large tree. When I complained I was told maybe next day could move to the fifth floor (far away from the elevators) I opted for the closer elevators.
The maids do a nice job keeping the rooms clean. Not enough towels though. I had to keep asking the maid for more. They kept the refridgerator stocked but our refridgerator door was broken and didnt close correctly. The other rooms fridge worked but their version of cold is our luke warm. The king sized bed was comfortable, but my kids complained of the hard beds in their room. And they are a SAMLL double size. 2 teens could barely fit in one. Our door could be forcefully pushed open from the outside. We left that bolted the entire time and exited through the kids room door.
The Beach was red flagged everyday. The kids and I did have fun playing in the waves but my kids are 14,15, 21, and 22. I would not recommend this beach for little kids. DANGEROUS! I was worried and my kids are strong swimmers. The lifeguard seemed more interested in conversation with his back turned to the ocean. The locals though keep an eye out and I saw them go in a few times to retrieve people who didnt heed the red flag and were struggling to get out. The beach is steep in most places, which makes for walking along looking for shells difficult. The waves were really strong and at times really large and would catch the unwary and knock them off thier feet.
The beach vendors are numerous and some were ok with accepting "no thanks" while others were much more pushy.
The pool was ok. The pool bar is enclosed with a shell curtain hanging down (to keep the birds out) but the curtain hangs right on your back. The pool was somewhat smaller them I like a but it is seperated for little kids and adults which was nice. The staff work all day keeping the area clean and once in awhile you might get a waitress taking orders for cocktails. We didnt have trouble finding somewhere to sit, but shade was hard to come by.
The shows at the theater were fun. We enjoyed them a lot. Those dancers can DANCE! The "bar" was traditional mexican with really loud Mexican music. My Husband and son went in once all week. For the most part my family sat outside most nights ( when it wan't rainining).
Food: the food was typical all inclusive variety. leaning HEAVILY on traditional mexican. We managed to find something to eat everyday and I encouraged my kids to at least try the different dishes but we were all very ready for American food by the time we left. The Dona Rosa was the main buffet. You got in line, waited your turn, sat and ate. The buffet by the pool , you got in line and watched all the spansih speaking guests get seated first. Don Quiote was really good, best dinner we had all week. The Sushi place was really small and only had 5 tables of 4. If you weren't there at doors opening at 7pm you didnt eat there until after 9 pm. They didnt take reservations. The waitress didnt speak any english so asking about the menu was frustrating.The food was so so.
All in all we won't be back. I've been to the Riveria Maya and Cancun and any future trips will be at those resorts where we felt welcomed and included.

Room Tip: Good luck if your American.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

The good part of this hotel is it is a pretty place with nice staff. None of the staff spoke english so it's total immersion spanish here.

The beach has treacherous undertow, so dangerous they would not let anyone swim or even wade in. I was sanding way up on the sand when a rogue wave came in an knocked me down. Don't even think of coming here with small children.

We visited during a heat wave and this is NOT the place to be when that happens. The hotel has an open air lobby and all the restaraunts are open air. The rooms are air conditioned but it barely worked in my room. It was so hot everywhere during the stay, you couldn't even really enjoy the beach because of the heat, humidity and undertow. Everyone sat to look at the beach but went to the pool to cool off.

The staff was really nice but one thing happend that I can blame the management for. You prepay for everything here including a $25 deposit for a beach towel. So why do they make it so hard to check out? On Sunday morning we needed to head to the airport so we wanted to drop off our key like we do at every hotel everywhere. No way - they make you wait in line to get your paperwork. We weren't sure why they wanted to make it a big deal since they had our credit card info and everything was prepaid. There was a huge line and long wait in the heat to get a useless piece of paper to confirm that we had already paid. Really silly and left a bad impression of the place.

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

FLIGHT/AIRPORT: We travelled with Sunwing/Signature Vacations. We got a great deal, $1085 each all in. When we arrived we went through customs with no problems and the best thing was that there were NO timeshare sharks to get through before getting outside. The bus ride to the resort was a quick ride and the guide was very informative, giving us tips about Huatulco and area. The food on the plane was edible, but not very good. I suggest bringing a few sandwiches.

LOCATION/GETTING AROUND: The resort is located about 20 minutes from the airport and the towns of La Crucecita and Santa Cruz were a short cab ride away. A cab to each town cost 30 pesos. There were always plenty available. Huatulco is a great place for a quiet, relaxing vacation. The little towns are very laid back and friendly.

TIME OF YEAR/WEATHER: Our trip was from March 1-8, 2011 and the weather was beautiful, sunny and hot every day. It was 35-36 degrees every day with a slight breeze off the water. The evenings were lovely and warm, no sweater was needed at all. The resort was at about 80% capacity but it got busier on the weekend. Mostly Canadians, lots of Mexicans and some Americans.

BEACH/POOL: We spent most of our days at the beach on a lounger under a shady canopy on the far end away from the pool. It seemed difficult to get a chair by the pool unless you got up early. We never tried and we typically didn’t have much trouble finding a chair at the beach except for one time so we just took out a kayak for a bit and then found a chair later.

The water in the bay was refreshing but too rough for me to swim in (there was a yellow flag the whole week), but my boyfriend enjoyed it. The beach was lovely to walk along. Beach vendors walked up and down the beach all day long, but we didn’t find them too intrusive. They left you alone if you’re not interested. We bought coffee beans, but didn’t find anything else that interested us. The coffee is great, very tasty.

LAYOUT/ROOMS: The resort is small and nicely laid out. Our room was on the first floor facing one of the grassy areas. We really enjoyed the peaceful and quiet location. We could even see the water a little bit. We had requested a king size bed but got two doubles instead. At least they were pushed together so it wasn’t too bad. The resort does seem a little dated, but we really didn’t have a problem with that. In fact some areas of the resort we found quite beautiful, especially the wooden steps at the entrance of the resort and leading into the restaurants.

The thing that did bother me was that I found the chairs in the restaurants and at the bar in the lobby very uncomfortable. I tend to get a sore back so this may not be a problem for others. I also found the bed to be very hard. I usually enjoy the hard beds in Mexico, but these were harder than usual. We heard that we could have a pad put on the bed but we kept forgetting to do that as we were usually very busy relaxing at the beach. Despite that I would say that I found the resort rather uncomfortable because of the furniture.

There were some hot water issues in the shower, continuously going from hot to cold to hot again.

FOOD: The food was great. Breakfast every day was the best meal. Made to order omelettes, fresh fruit, juices, pancakes, etc. We enjoyed lunch at the beach buffet. I usually had salad and guacamole and chips. Dinner at the buffet was better than at other resorts that we’d been too. We tried two of the a la cartes: the Spanish and the Mexican restaurants. We really enjoyed both. Food was delicious and great service. My favourite was the tortilla soup at the Mexican restaurant. I would go back to the resort specifically to have that again, I thought it was so good.

DRINKS/BARS/ENTERTAINMENT: Another area of disappointment was the bar service. We found it very frustrating to get a drink with alcohol. The first tendency was to give you the drink without alcohol. I found that you had to order the drink and specifically state that you wanted it with alcohol and even then sometimes the drink was very weak. I’m not a big drinker, but when I go on vacation I do like to enjoy my tasty tropical drinks and felt that I really didn’t get my money’s worth in that regard.

We only saw one of the evening shows. It was alright but we didn't feel the need to see any of the others. We did enjoy going for walks after dinner and sitting in the lobby bar. They had a trio there who were entertaining.

EXCURSIONS: We booked a four bay jetski and snorkeling tour through Huatulco Activities. They are located across the street from the resort. Carlos is great. He booked our tour for us and it was cheaper than other places we had looked. We had a great time. The tour was 2 1/2 hours and we saw a whale too. That was incredibly awesome and unexpected. We were able to get quite close.

Overall we had a lovely vacation and I’m sure we will come back to Huatulco someday but not sure if we’d return to the Barcelo, although I might just because of that awesome tortilla soup.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Huatulco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!