“Great local place.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Union, Mo near St. Louis
“Great local place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had seen this restaurant on "Bizzare Foods" and just had to try it. Nothing bizzare. but the food was excellent. Very local feel to the place as there were a few "local Dons" setting in the back corner, partaking in conversation, tequila and some good cigars. I liked the fact that there was a partially covered NO FUMAR sign on the wall, but I enjoyed the cigar smoke as it added to the local feel..BTW I do like to partake in a good stoogie every so often, especially in Mexico.
We were presented with a backet of fried tortillas and a very picante (habanero) salsa. My wife had the mahi-mahi in butter and garlic and I had the mixed seafood (shrimp, octopus and sea snail) in olive oil and garlic, both dishes had very large portions. Entres came with a nice helping of mexican rice and sliced tomatoes, avacado and sweet onions. I had three Pacificos (very very cold) and my wife had a Diet. The very reasonalble bill came to $310 MP.
On our next trip to Huatulco I will definately make a return trip to El Gilllo Marinero. Local-good food-cold beer.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Vancouver Island
“Agree with other positive reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

WE had read about the fresh red snapper cooked here (cooked in butter and garlic) We were not disappointed , it was very delicious (enough for 2 to share) When I ordered it, the owner came out to show me the actual fish. Though their English is limited, I found all the people working here to be friendly and anxious to please. The restaurant is clean and popular.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Redvers
“a wonderful meal and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Roberto Hernandez of Yellowfin Fishing recommended this restaurant for seafood and it was excellent. We went three times during our month stay and always had an excellent meal and something better than the last visit. The whole red snapper cooked in butter and garlic was probably the best fish we had anywhere. As non Spanish speaking customers we had no trouble making ourselves understood to the staff when the English speaking son was not available. With the help of pictures and sign language and a lot of laughter we ordered an amazing lunch. Our lunch companions ranged in age from 2 years to 73 years of age and as many as 7 people at a time. We would definely recommend trying the great fish. A really nice and very clean lunch spot.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very highly recommended by locals for safe seafood and cheap prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The palm leaf (palapa) roof open restaurant is rated very high by locals and is in the heart (centro) of the little town la Crucecita, and it was fine. You won't get sick here. The non-Spanish speaking tourists may probably not appreciate the atmosphere that much. You practically have to guess what the menu is really offering and for this you might need to speak some Spanish. However, pictures on menu and walls help. I suggest whole fish cooked in garlic (al ajo), and the whole shrimp. Yum yum. Do not put the habanera sauce on your food as this will practically send you into cardiac arrest. I Made the mistake of putting it on the chip and had to immediately run to the kitchen area and they gave me salt and lemon to shave the effects. Probably would go back mainly because fresh, safe and cheap. This will help economize your trip.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A must go place in Huatulco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

This family owned place offers excellent seafood. It was so good that i had lunch there every day of my 3 day stay. Try the octopus in and fresh catch of the day fish.

• Visited January 2012