“Nice stay at The Grand Mayan and pleasantly surprised by Acapulco” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Mayan Acapulco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Acapulco
The Grand Mayan Acapulco
You added The Grand Mayan Acapulco to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Costera de las Palmas 1121, Acapulco 39900, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 178 Hotels in Acapulco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice stay at The Grand Mayan and pleasantly surprised by Acapulco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My family (husband, mother and daughter) and me stayed a week at Grand Mayan Acapulco July 7-14). We are members of Grand Mayan and I requested an ocean view room. there were no ocean room available and since I had made my previous research I requested a corner room which was granted. I really enjoyed the room and I think is better than an ocean room because you have a beautiful view of the city and the mountains, as well as a little bit of the ocean view. The resort is very nice and clean, although with the construction going on in front of the Grand Mayan there was some interruption of the beach view. I imagine it will be very beautiful when the pool construction is finished. the rooms are large and the outside pool is a good treat for the hot afternoons. the restaurants were very good and the quality of food excellent. The main restaurant at the same building of the Grand Mayan is one of the best I have been in Mexico. do no expect fast food prices, but considering Puerto Rican restaurant prices in the same category, their prices were reasonable. the service was very professional and very friendly. this is my second visit to Grand Mayan resorts. last year we were at Cancun and I really prefer Cancun's over Acapulco's, both the location and attractions as well as the resort. but overall is a very nice resort and Acapulco exceeded our expectations. I am glad that we did not follow the recommendations of many people that tried to discourage us from traveling to Acapulco because allegedly was rundown and very dangerous. do not believe that. Acapulco is very clean, beautiful and safe. of course, our stay was made more easy and comfortable thanks to our guide, chauffeur and new friend Baldo Gomez, who I contacted previously though internet thanks to previous guests reviews. he is a very responsible, professional and gentle person who satisfied our needs and help us in our visits in Acapulco. he picked us up at the airport and also took us there on the day of our departure. Although we speak Spanish as our native language, Baldo is very fluent in English and he is always on time and not pushy. We recommend his services to anyone that want to visit Acapulco with no worries about safety or anyone taking advantage of you. You can reach him at Baldo-work@hotmail.com .
One last thing. last year my husband got an asthma attack in Cancun and the doctor at Grand Mayan was available at 10 pm in the evening. he provided very good service. this year my mother got sick with "the Montezuma. Revenge" and also was provided good scare by the doctor at the Gran Mayan in Acapulco. It is very satisfying to have a doctor available 24 hours at the. Mayan Facilities. I look forward to go to the Grand Mayan at Nuevo Vallarta next year.

On the negative side. I concur with the comments that the beds at Grand Mayan are too hard. it was bad for my back. I recommend that they change the mattresses for the comfort of the customers. Also it will be a good practice if there was some night entertainment. There is nothing lively to do in the evenings with the exception of some action at the bar. But I cabe been in many resorts that provide free evening entertainment. none of that at Grand Mayan.

thanks that Read A lot of reviews before going tho Acapulco, I refused to attend the allegedly update to members in the mornings. I am not interested in hearing about upgrading my membership and my experiences with their sales people at Grand Mayan is that they are very pushy to keep up selling you more and they keep insisting until you are cornered. Their sale representative are not transparent with what they offer you and you get a lot of surprises when you read their contracts afterwards. be careful and read every single small letter. I am satisfied with my membership and I'm not interested in doing any upgrade neither to spent at least 6 hours in their update presentations.

I will keep going to the Grand. Mayan because we are already members, but in general, their facilities are great. They could also improve the furniture. I visited the facilities at other resorts and their room furnitures are more updated and more Mexican style.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a corner room because you share the view of the mountains and the city and a peek of he oc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Acapulco, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Alicia C :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn you have been faithful owners of our brands and you continue to enjoy our tropical paradise. We are happy as well that you liked the pools, our food options and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

Your comments are always welcomed. We always like to hear about our guests’ experiences since it is the only way to truly know we are doing a great job to making your stay enjoyable.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

The Grand Mayan Acapulco Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Under a complete remodel and under construction with scaffolding blocking the view, shut down bar and restaurant, mud and dirt with giant trucks instead of swimming pool and no lake with free boats and the open pool being surrounded on 3 sides by workers, construction, and jackhammers. No notice whatsoever on website. No discount or accommodation made. 2 hours asking for a manager with us never being allowed to.Finally a cheaper location at the golf resort inland is offered as long as we do a 60 minute timeshare, ahem ownership presentation. No plunge pool or jacuzzi. Tiny useless balcony with no view and no space for furniture. 60 minute time share took 3.5 hours and 5 people increasingly more aggressive trying to get us to buy into what has been a miserably hard experince for us, our 3 young children, and my 75 year old mother on her birthday. No accountability at all. No warning. No accommodation.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear baitnswitch :

We are shocked to learn about the inconveniences experienced during your visit, since we are always looking to surpass our clients’ expectations of genuine hospitality by providing outstanding facilities and service excellence. That is also why our resorts are constantly being refurbished, as we aim to ensure that our facilities are in the best condition possible for our guests to enjoy. For that reason, your feedback will be shared with all the appropriate areas.

Your feedback is always welcomed.

Warm regards,

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We had a wonderful time in Acapulco and the Grand Mayan - June 15th through the 22nd. The property was clean, service staff were all very nice, even with our poor Spanish skills, we had no trouble communicating.

I did a ton of research on the Grand Mayan, but it is quite better than you read or see in any pictures or reviews. The only two complaints I would have is that the beds are very hard. My wife loved them, but it hurt my back. I think others asked for a pad that helped. I didn't bother since my wife was enjoying it.

The other complaint was in general, a negative and a positive. It was off-season while we were there, which made things quite sparse, so the lobby bar wasn't open. The golf course was in need of some major maintenance (and they still charged us near $200 us). Though this is a very minor complaint, as we really liked having it quiet and somewhat secluded. I'd come back in off-season in a second. The wifi is extremely slow and overpriced. Put a data plan on your phone if you want internet access.

Acapulco it's self is a real gem. Frankly, I was quite nervous after all I read about the crime there. We went on multiple guided tours throughout the city and the areas around it, via our amazing tour guide, Baldo. I never once experienced anything close to a concerning situation. Baldo came through on every "mini adventure" we asked of him. The beauty of the town is unparalleled to anything I had seen before. He is must if you want to experience the city.

You can contact Baldo at Baldo-work@hotmail.com

Room Tip: We had a room facing away from the pool. I really liked to sit outside and watch the thunderstorms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Acapulco, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Jesse G :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are pleased to learn you had a wonderful vacation and we really thank you for your kind comments about our staff, since they work day and night to help our guests enjoy their vacations.

Your feedback is very important to us and we will gladly follow-up with the appropriate areas as creating ideal vacation experiences is our main goal. That is also why our resorts are constantly being refurbished and we aim to ensure that our facilities are in the best condition possible for our guests to enjoy.

It will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Warmest regards,

aurora
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had read about the positive experiences many people had during their vacation Acapulco but we still wondered if it was as safe as we hoped. I am happy to say that my wife, 3 girls and I felt completely safe. The Grand Mayan rates as one of the nicest resorts that we've stayed at and we've stayed at many. The rooms were clean, no smells, no bugs. The dipping pool on the balcony was a nice touch. I enjoyed the golf course. We tried all the restaurants on the property and thought they were all good but as you would expect, the range from mid-range to high end on price. We were pleasantly surprised that the upscale prices were less than a comparable restaurant at home. Our driver, David Alcaraz drove us everywhere we wanted to go. He had great recommendations took us a great tour of Acapulco that you don't get with bus tours. We stayed the hotel just before Mexican vacation season starts. We were treated like royalty. A cool thing we learned from David about the Grand Mayan is they have a hospitality room for people who have later flight. We spent the afternoon at the pool, we later showered and changed clothes then flew out that evening. Thank you David and Gran Mayan Resort! If you like Cabo you will love Acapulco.

Room Tip: There was construction on the ocean side of the hotel. It wasn't really a bother but the inland...
Dear frkwnttrvlr :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our food options, our facilities, the accommodations, the pools and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation, and we are pleased to learn we achieved this goal by reading your comment.

We will be delighted to welcome you back!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Mayan June 15-22 and it was awesome! The hotel was clean and gorgeous and the staff brought me fresh flowers for our room one day and Hershey's kisses every night. The grounds were under construction but the new pool opened a few days before we left and we got to enjoy that as well as the old pool. We also took the shuttle to the mayan palace twice to enjoy their pool and lazy river. We requested an ocean view before we arrived and they stated most likely we would get one, that didn't happen. We tried to check in early and were told that shouldn't be a problem either but we didn't get our room until 5:30 pm. After being up for over 24 hours that was the only glitch in our trip. We used Roberto Alarcon (robertoalrey@yahoocom.mx or from the US 011 521 744-421-9608) as our tour guide and he was definitely worth it! He picked us up from the airport and took us shopping for groceries as soon as we arrived. He is very personable, reliable, knowledgeable, and I highly recommend him if you don't speak Spanish!! He will take great care of you and you will leave Acapulco with a new friend.

Dear Christine G :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are so glad you enjoyed our pools and thank you for your kind comments about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself was nice if you could look pass all the construction going on, and the terrible smell of sewer. Not my kind of resort. Iguana's walking around. Pool was ok. Beach lets not forget the beach, dirty and not swim able. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. I couldn't comment on the rooms because my stay was at the Mayan Palace which the rooms were very clean. But overall I would give it a 3. Too noisey and too many children. Not good place for a couple.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Hattilicious :
We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your experience while staying at another one of our resorts.

It appears as though not all your expectations were met. Rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration as it helps us improve our facilities and services. For that reason, our resorts are constantly being refurbished; to have them in the best condition possible for our guests to enjoy.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future to truly impress you with what we have to offer.

Yours sincerely,

Sonora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My adult sons, their friends and I had a great family reunion at the Grand Mayan in Acapulco the first full week of June. We were treated exceptionally well by all of the staff from the moment we arrived until we left. Although we made many of our own meals in our full kitchens the food we ate at the resort was always top notch. We also had free shuttle rides and the use of a sister resort. We were surprised at how uncrowded it was and learned that it was because it was the rainy season. We loved the primarily night rains and found them refreshing after the drought conditions at home.
I have read negative reviews because of the construction going on of an on site pond. That did not bother us in the least. I have also read reviews of the dirty beach in front of the Grand Mayan. That was not our experience. It was much cleaner than many of the beaches where we live in the United States. Consider getting a driver/guide who is well known by the Grand Mayan staff. We found our driver from a previous Trip Advisor Grand Mayan review. Baldo Gomez 74-41-60-1604 baldo-work@hotmail.com He is great for airport pick up and departures providing door to door service from the Grand Mayan. He is superb for tours and goes out of his way to ensure that any tours which might be recommended by the Grand Mayan concierge be a terrific experience for you. Please don't let the rains or the construction keep you away from a vacation of a lifetime.

Room Tip: A view of either the city and mountains or the ocean is good especially on a higher floor like the 8...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Mayan Acapulco? Share your experiences!