“Roberto Alarcon made the trip perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Mayan Acapulco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Acapulco
The Grand Mayan Acapulco
You added The Grand Mayan Acapulco to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Costera de las Palmas 1121, Acapulco 39900, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 178 Hotels in Acapulco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chandler, Arizona, United States
“Roberto Alarcon made the trip perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Grand Mayan was amazing. Il Ferno restaurant was great Italian food. Beach clean, pools unbeleivable, golf and tennis both very cool... But our driver turned this trip from a cautious adventure to a dream. He picked us up at the airport in his suburban, offered us a shot of great tequila and began to set our minds at ease on our way to Walmart to load up on groceries before we checked in. He showed us the best places to eat, take photos, shop and just enjoy the beautiful city of Acapulco. He took us to the cliff divers, got us through the gates, past check points and in to the best places like we were royalty. We really had no worries, got tan, bought some silver and now have a great new friend Roberto. We are going back next year with kids this time next year!

Room Tip: No bad rooms at this place... Seriously.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We just got back from Acapulco after spending a wonderful week at the Grand Mayan. We used our deal from groupon and boy did we really win staying at such a great place for a great price. The grounds are beautiful. The pool area has 3 different sections in my mind, the aqua park/lazy river (child area), activity area, and the end where it is completely quiet (except the sound of the ocean waves). My husband and I enjoyed every area.
The rooms are great. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. Very spacious, we could have 4 more people stay with us. The cleaning service was good, they cleaned in the morning and a turn down service (with hersheys kisses) at night. We did play it safe and put anything of value in the safe while we were out of the room. The water is purified. We did buy large jugs of bottled water, but used the ice from the machine.
We ate at the Bakal for a great breakfast buffet and Cafe del Lago for a dinner. We thought the meals were good and reasonably priced.

I can't end this review without saying how WONDERFUL our driver, tour guide, photographer and margarita maker, Roberto Alarcon was. We highly recommend reserving his services (email - robertoalrey@yahoo.com.mx). Hint - I hope you like Tequilla, because he has it readily available! He speaks fluent English. He spent 7 years in the states driving a semi-truck across country. He took us to Walmart right from the airport and one other time. He always took us to restaurants that used purified water. I recommend SuCasa and Linda Vista restaurants for beautiful views, and La Torguga and El Zorrito for some good food with a casual atmosphere. I recommend Roberto's city tour. WE ALWAYS FELT SAFE. As another review stated, there are places within the cities we live in that you avoid. Roberto does not take you anywhere unsafe.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, ask for even numbers and try for higher floors
Massapequa Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This was my fourth time at the Acapulco Grand Mayan. My husband & I own a Grand Mayan time share , and we have exchanged to stay at other Mayan ( now Vida) resorts, but I feel very comfortable here. This time I went on an RCI exchange. I traveled for one week
(March 4- 11, 2012) with my 80 year old mother, who is pretty spry. It was her first time in Mexico and she loved every minute of our stay. We were able to stay in a two bedroom, two bath, which faced the ocean. The water park pool was closed for repairs, but is now open.
I stayed here for two weeks in late September 2011 and traveled alone, which was an interesting experience. This is when I met a wonderful, considerate taxi driver named Francisco Vargas, whom I requested every time I needed a taxi (for shopping , site seeing, the airport). His prices are fair and I felt safe. I contacted him before we traveled and he was at the airport to pick us up ($20 US for the two of us). (aca-francisco@hotmail.com). I highly recommend him.
My mother and I are both pretty active, but we were not allowed to use the gym, which took me by surprise since I had used it every day when I stayed the last time. But because we were there on an RCI exchange, we would have had to pay $230 pesos per day (which was around $18 US per day per person!!). So we opted out. Each morning we went for a walk on the beach and took a dip in the ocean;the water was calmer in the morning. I went into the pool to swim daily and it was delightful. They keep the grounds very clean. We went on one site seeing tour through the hotel (the cliff divers at night, which included transportation, a delicious dinner, three drinks, and admission to the divers which consisted of sitting on the balcony on the restaurant overlooking the divers. It was a lot of fun, because we met some very nice people staying at the resort. We also took a cab for a one day site seeing tour. Francisco Vargas took us to the Fort and History Museum of Acapulco, which is air conditioned. I love coming here, because it is a small but very well arranged museum and you can spend a lot or a little time exploring the fort. It also has a spectacular view of the area. He also took us to the market and to the zocalo. We stopped into the Cathedral, which is beautiful, and walked around and looked at the market in the square. We had a very nice stay and when Francisco took us to the airport, I felt as though I was leaving my friend.
The problems I have with the Mayan resorts are limited. They charge for a lot for wifi which is ridiculous. Charging for the gym is also annoying. People staying at the Mayan Palace are also expected to pay to use the gym. (My feeling is, we are traveling to your country, staying at your resort, eating at your restaurants, tipping your staff (bellboys, wait staff, chamber maids, etc) and supporting your economy. But you are charging for wifi and the gym?) They also do not have any english news (CNN World is a loop). I usually purchase an hour on the internet at least once during the trip so that I can read the NY Times on line just to see what is going on back home. But other than that, the resort is clean and very safe and a really nice place to stay. The food at the restaurants is good. We ate out for a few meals and cooked in for a few. If this is important to anyone: they provide very nice shampoo, body lotion, soap, a sewing kit, a shoe shine. You might be able to get a shower cap, but don't count on it. There is a laundry room on the first floor, which is very nice and clean looking but I did not use it. They use the same electricity as in the US, so you don't need adapters. Always check the exchange rate at before you leave home or when you get to the airport. When you are site seeing, they may tell you something costs "100 pesos or $10 US". But when I was there, $100 pesos was worth less than $8 US, so if you are using their currency, just be aware.
I usually have at least one massage in the spa, but this time took my chances with the massage ladies on the beach. Ask for Lupe if you want a deep tissue or Elena if you want a more moderate massage. ($20 US, but they took $200 pesos which was about $15.75 US). They are both wonderful!
I cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: The Grand Mayan is just one building, and the rooms either face the ocean or the front of the buildi...
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Had a great time at the Grand mayan and the beach and the pool area was great. Its the best beach I have ever been on. The hotel was very clean and the all around service was wonderful.

Room Tip: If you can get a ocean view do it. The sunsets are beautiful
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I just returned from the Grand Mayan Hotel. We loved it. The Grand Mayan is one of the hotels that is a part of the Mayan Palace (I believe the other is the Mayan Sea Garden). We traded our current time share for 7 nights at the Grand Mayan. It was well worth the trade.

We did pay for a few nights prior to our timeshare stay and paid for a nice ocean view room with a pool on our balcony. I wasn't cheap... but I told them I did not want to move rooms when we switched to our timeshare reservation. They said they could not promise me but I insisted and they were able to accomodate me.

Great lazy river and area for the kids. We didn't have the kids with us but I would love to take them next time.

Our unit had a kitchen, bedroom, and a living room/tv area. There was a pool on our balcony and we had a huge tub in our room. The Grand Mayan is really close to Costco so don't forget your card. We bought groceries at Walmart (which even had food products and fresh produce) and Costco. This saved us lots of money.

We brought our own beer down to the beach to drink under the little cabana huts. They don't let you have to bottles at the pool because of the glass- so this means you can't bring your own beer to the pool. If you hang out at the pool you have to order from the bar. This wasn't that big of a deal. Every day they have a "special" drink that is 2 for 1. We just ordered the special of the day when we were at the pool. Lunch was available to you at the pool or out on the beach.

The accomodations were great and the service was too. We declined the time share presentation which would then give us 15% off entire food/drink bill at the end of the week. This was a good choice because we heard it takes longer than the promised 45 min. and it is high pressure. It was not big deal to pass on the 15%.

The resort is pretty and has the longest pool in Latin America. The pools are great and they even have a HUGE kid area- complete with water slides, a lazy river with intertubes, and lots of play toys.

Everyone we talked with at the resort spoke English very well. I would definately recommend this resort and any of the Mayan Properties (Mayan Palace, Grand Mayan, Mayan Sea Garden, etc.) in Acapulco.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We just returned from a very special week at the Grand Mayan, Acapulco. The resort is well designed and maintained, with many fabulous architectural features. The various on site restaurants provided delicious food and excellent service. The staff is well trained and eager to make your stay a pleasure. During our week a 7.4 magnitude earthquake occurred with the epicenter about 150 miles away. We were assured in writing by property management that all facilities were in safe working order. The resort is about a 30 minute drive from the center of Acapulco and we would not advise driving there given the traffic congestion. Prior to the trip we had serious concerns about safety, given the violence occurring over the past year or two. The entire area is saturated with Mexican Federal Police and military which does provide a real sense of security. We used the services of Ricardo Alvarez-Avila as a guide on several occasions, including transit from and to the airport, sightseeing and shopping. His excellent tour guide service and driving through the wild traffic actually saved us much time that would have been wasted on being lost. His picks for activities appealed to all of us. He can be reached at alvarez1178@hotmail.com or 044-74-41-13-69-79 Take him up on suggestions for activities and dining. He is very personable.

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are well worth it
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I and our 4 year old son just got back from a week at the Grand Mayan. It was fabulous. The grounds are impeccable, the service is first rate. and the rooms are fantastic (we were in a 1-bedroom suite). We ate at Bakal, Cafe del Lago, Balche, and ordered pizza from Il Forno di Gio. The food ranged fom good to very good, and I don't think the prices were outrageous, either - ~US18 for the seared tuna at del Lago, for example. The drinks at Balche (the pool bar) were a bit weak, but the beer prices were good (3 coronas for 100 pesos).

The pool and aqua park were immaculately maintained. The aqua park is fantastic for kids of all ages - they have slow slides, fast slides (something like 10 slides total), plus a separate pool with kiddie slides for the really young. My son had a terrific time there (so did I, for that matter...) - so good that I think it spoiled him for the beach.

The beach at the property is plenty long, and well maintained. It is also very wide and shallow, so the big waves break way out, and by the time the kids are waist deep there is not too much power. But if you venture further out, you can still play in some pretty powerfui waves.

We used Roberto Alarcon (robertoalrey@yahoo.com.mx) for transportation, and he did an excellent job. He picked us up at the airport, took us to WalMart, took us into town for dinner a few times, and delivered us back to the airport. He was a great driver, and speaks english fluently.

In my opinion, Acapulco is safe. I was a bit worried with all the bad press, especially with my 4 year old, but after reading many reviews I decided to come anyways, and I am glad I did. At no time whatsoever did I feel like my family was any less safe than at home. I've seen many people say this and I think it's true - Acapulco is like many US cities - there are some places you just don't go. As long as you have good transportation (Roberto) and you stay in the tourist areas, you shouldn't have a problem.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Grand Mayan Acapulco? Share your experiences!