“Loved the view” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 178 Hotels in Acapulco
Mississauga, Canada
“Loved the view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed here for 4 days. Loved being able to have dinner with a lovely view. Also a great view from the room. The room is a bit "rustic" but still fine. You'll need a converter plug if you have anything to plug in with 3 prongs. I got one from the front desk. Internet was only available in the lobby. Loved the cliff divers.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We were planning on staying here but with some of the reviews I read I passed on the opportunity. Instead we stayed at a hotel next to the plaza in Old Acapulco. Some reviewers advised you need a taxi, the rooms are not nice, service is bad, ect ect. I am a travel agent so I visit a lot of hotels and this one is a good hotel to stay at. We only stayed two nights in Acapulco and I would of chosen this place if I knew more about the area. Here are the real facts. Its an easy 10 minute walk from the main plaza in Old Acapulco, you do not need a taxi unless you are crippled. The service is good and the hotel is well kept. We looked at some of the rooms and they are fine, not a 4 or 5 star, but fine. For the price, it is a great bargain, hands down we would of stayed here if we had known. If you need a high floor full service mega-hotel on a sandy beach, then stay away from here. If you are looking for a nice bargain hotel near inexpensive restaurants and plenty of transportation options then you have found the right place.

Room Tip: Most rooms have an oceanview
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Pensacola, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

El Mirador, in 2007, was, as some have referred to her, like a tired old princess or queen. I had researched the hotel and read the good and bad reviews. MY review is that the rooms were very inexpensive, clean, and cool. When we arrived, we had no shower curtain and, although we had a little language problem, the staff remedied the situation quickly. The lifts spoken on in other reviews were both broken so you had to be of brave heart and lots of stamina to make the trip to one of the pools! It was a 342 step climb from my room to the lower pools but of, so worth it when I got there! The views were beautiful. We had a room overlooking the cliff diving so I could stand on the balcony and watch each evening. The restaurant was ok -- nothing special but nothing wrong with it, either, with two exceptions -- it opened late in the morning for me, an early riser and, service was slow. However, the heat in Mexico in June makes everything and everyone slow, so I was in no hurry! I had my son (28) traveling with me so he was more into the nightlife in town (a $7-8 US cabride each way) and he made friends quickly with hotel staff getting off work and got the grand tour, locals-style! The staff at El Mirador were friendly and kind. I saw several posts about staying away from the time-share salesmen -- I purposefully sought one out and got a free week for my time. I did get to see some of the renovated rooms and was happy that the hotel was modernizing but still keeping the "old" feel of the El Mirador in her heyday. As others stated, I definitely would NOT recommend this hotel for anyone with a disability or problems with climbing. As I am an early riser and there were no coffee-pots in room, I had to walk downhill a block to the XOXO for coffee each morning as the restaurant opened later. Would have preferred the modernization of coffee in-room but was a small inconvenience. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Our first day there, the room below us was being renovated -- jackhammers and who knows what else making racket! My son got the attention of one of the workers and asked if they could work on another room that week as we would be there all week. They immediately agreed and we were never disturbed again. I loved the "old" feel of the hotel and any little issue was handled, so I would definitely recommend it. If you want a ***** hotel, stay on the strip -- GO to a 5-star. I loved the whole thing about El Mirador -- the birds, the cliffs, the beautiful plants growing out of the cliffs, the seaside pool ... it's not a dream-hotel but it was a cool place to stay, in my opinion and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

I booked a week in this hotel in Expedia. I wanted to be in old Acapulco that's why I chose this hotel.
The hotel is right in front of famous la Quebrada where the divers jump into roaring sea every evening. It is a great show, and crowds the hotel premises every night, especially on weekends. The restaurant is supposed to be award wining but it is actually crappy. It has great view though.
The hotel has a very affordable breakfast buffet, and it is great for what you pay, one of my favorite things here it is a Mexican Trio that plays every morning.
The hotel is built in a cliff, it is from the 1950's (or 40's ). Back then, it was like one of the best or the best in Acapulco, so many Hollywod celebrities from the Golden Era stayed there.
But now, the cliffs are a big bummer. They have lifts some sort of diagonal elevators that are superslow and most of the times they don't work, one of them was like permanently broken.
The room was kind of ugly in furniture but we were given one of the best, we had a huge balcony if front of the ocean. The air condition was like non-existing, I think we were well in the mid 90s but horribly humid all the time, and the A/C seemed to be always like 85°. We complained and they sent us a fan!...
Although the hotel is on downtown, there is a jungle on one side and every morning we were awaken by a wonderful chorus of wild birds, it was amazing. One day we found a huge snake by one of the pools and the hotel staff tried to kill it. Most people would find this unpleasant (the snake in the premises), but we don't, i think it was great. The hotel has a swimming pool a little bit above the sea level and one all the way up the hill, they were both kind of dirty all the time., there is also a natural pool with sea water, we really loved this one, and it has fishes, this is one of the best things in this hotel. One of the worst things is that the hotel is located in some sort of very popular plaza, and people party there all night long, so, weekends are really noisy at night.

I think this hotel is for Mexicans only, most Americans complain too much about everything so, I wouldn't recommend my American friends to stay here, But for many reasons I would recommend it to Mexicans or Europeans, who love nature and wouldn't mind some things (like the A/C or the noise). IF YOU HAVE SOME SORT OF DISABILITY THAT REQUIRES A WHEELCHAIR DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL. If you are traveling with very old people you shouldn't either. There are endless stairs for everything, and the lift are almost always broken.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
Laurel, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed at El Mirador in August 2008. In one word, the experience was LOUSY. The bedroom door rattled in the wind, the ceiling in the bathroom was falling down and the lighting was poor. In addition, there was mold in the curtains in the bedroom.
The wash cloths were torn and tattered. On the second night when we asked for and additiional wash cloth (only one was left in the bathroom) we were told that none were available.
The food was OK, especially the breakfast.
We would definitely not recommend this hotel

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Boulder Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2008

I paid $45 for a double (2 guests) during this off season time. I used it just for a stop rest on my way to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo.

This hotel has been there for more than 75 years it used to be a high-end spot during the 50`s and 60`s. It faces La Quebrada the famous spot for cliff divers in Acapulco. No beach. A 10 minute taxi ($7-8 USD) ride to La Costera where all the bars, discos, and action takes place. It is just out of the main Acapulco bay.

Nicely kept. Rooms are clean and basic. Some details show age (e.g. old cooler left in the whole in the wall not working, it has now very modern coolers installed in a different location).

Pools are basic but nice.

Basic hotel to go to sleep after speding the day some where else.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

Where on earth do they get the $150 US from? This place is one of the cheapest more well known hotels in this city. It costs $80 US per night and the third night is free! Just phone the hotel directly. Breakfast is included except for the free night.
I love this place, and having stayed here for the 4 times that I have come here I was ready for a change. But now I am thinking again. No horrible club music, no noisy traffic, no spring breakers. I love it. The people here are very helpful and show you the room that you are going to stay in before they bring the luggage. That is great, because you will inevitably have many steps to climb. *note... this hotel is NOT for the elderly* We have very small children and despite carrying the luggage up and down too may stairs, the view, the waves crashing on the rocks below, the iguanas, the humming birds and the cliff divers make up for an otherwise shabby and run down place. Everything will NOT work in your room, so make sure that you check to see if your TV and Air-Con work before you take it. (speaking out of experience) We have been treated like royalty by everyone every time we go there, but we do make an effort to speak spanish.
The buffet breakfast caters for Mexicans so if you want the real Speedy Gonzalez experience, it is a good one. The pools are clean but a walk up or down many steps, and remember to always carry some change for a tip, even when vacating the rooms. The people who work here work hard for little money and depend on them.
It feels like a little village rather than a hotel and there are plenty of places to escape for time alone together.
Run down it certainly is, but I still love it!

• Liked — Location location location
  • Disliked — It has seen batter days
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to El Mirador Acapulco Hotel? Share your experiences!