“The best view in Acapulco” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Etel Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Acapulco
Etel Suites
You added Etel Suites to your Saves list
Ave Pinzona 92 | Col Las Playas, Acapulco 39390, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 178 Hotels in Acapulco
Warsaw
“The best view in Acapulco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

As in the title - prabably the best view in Acapulco - bay from one side and la Quebrada from the other. We`ve got better room than we paid of - with the kitchenette and spectular view. Friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed at the Etel Suites for the whole month of February. We were welcomed by Telvi, the owner, with open arms and a huge smile. She is so sweet and extreemly helpful for what ever you may need. The Suites are spacious and the kitchenette was very useful. I actually cooked several times. The balconies are really big and a nice breeze blows all the time. The maid service is grand, they even washed and ironed a load of clothes for us. Nicely done.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

My fiance and I booked this hotel for our 5 day stay in Acapulco because the reviews were so great, as well as the price. (he called the hotel directly) We stayed in a rather large suite that overlooked the entire city and part of the bay... and what an amazing view we had from our spacious balcony, both at night and during the day. We had a nice large living/dining room, a good size functioning kitchen, and 2 bathrooms. The hotel itself was very clean & our room was cleaned well every day. Sra. Etel was very helpful and accommodating during our entire stay, helping us to find everything we were looking for. She even had 2 cold beers waiting for us when we arrived! We felt more like guests at a good friend's house rather than guest of a hotel. However, on the negative side, the hotel itself was very old, with rusting bathroom fixtures, as well as old, slightly molding showers. The hotel is located in the old section of town & it looks as if it hasn't been updated since the '60s. The kitchen stove was pretty old, but still usable, the industrial ceiling fan in the bedroom looked like something they used in the army 50yrs ago, & the living-room furniture was definitely from the '60s.. This hotel, by any means, isn't anything "to write home about", but what made our stay so nice was the great hospitality of our host Sra. Etel. We did, however, encounter a big problem when we tried to book a return trip to Acapulco this past May. My family & some of their friends decided to join us in May and really wanted to stay at Etel Suites. My mother & I e-mailed Sra. Etel on several occasions to inform her that my family & friends wished to stay in the hotel. She never returned any of my mother's e-mail, & only e-mailed me once to tell me the new rates. When I e-mailed her back to try to get a booking confirmation, I got nothing in response. Since she never returned my e-mail, we booked another hotel on the Costera, which was actually about the same price, but right on the beach.(the only thing we didn't have in the other hotel was the large dining room space, but not a big deal) Thus, if you are really interested in staying at Etel Suites, I'd suggest you call the hotel directly to book, otherwise you risk being ignored if you e-mail.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Redwood CityCa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Fantastic panoramic view. Cool afternoon and evening ocean breeze. Handicap friendly on street level floor. Spacious and well provided for food preparation for dining in. Perfect accommodations for larger parties of four and more with ample privacy. Good security and helpful staff for around-town information with ample taxi service. Received excellent tips on dining around the city. Pool was ideal size and temperature. Will use Etel Suites for the next visit with a party of eight. Guideline: When using taxi service around the city keep complimentary Etel Suite card for return trip to residence for taxi driver.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

I stayed at Etel Suites with my two young children (1 and 6) and had a wonderful experience! I was surprised to read zuccabella's review, especially given that we were visiting during the same time. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. The rooms were spacious, clean and provided just what we needed. And I would expect electricity to be saved by turning the AC off when I left the room, especially since most people visit Acapulco to enjoy the sun and spend the day outside. Why waste the high priced energy to cool a room when I'm not in it? Our room was clean and had no uninvited little guests. With 2 small children, I would have expected to see bugs especially with all the crumbs my son left behind!

I would recommend this hotel to a friend and family member. If you are reading this review and deciding whether or not to stay at Etel; I suggest looking at the photos. This hotel is away from the tourist strip, has beautiful views, friendly service, an accommodating and friendly owner. This hotel is well worth the price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

I picked this because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews on TripAdvisor but was really surprised when we actually arrived at the hotel.

GETTING THERE
We arrived at night and had to call to get better directions to the hotel than I found online (we were driving from Mexico City, where we live). I first spoke with Senora Etel who was very helpful and easy to understand. However, after getting off track, we called back and she was no longer there (it was pretty late). We spoke with a man at the hotel who was almost impossible to understand and gave us 2 word directions like "Quebrada Zocalo". He meant to take Quebrada after the zocolo, but I had to drag the information out of him and his accent is extremely difficult, even for a fluent Spanish speaker. If you don't speak Spanish at all, make sure to get directions from Senora Etel before you go. Acapulco is a mess of tiny, poorly marked streets. The hills make it very easy to get turned around as well.

THE HOTEL
Other reviews say the hotel is old, but well-kept. I wouldn't say that's not true, but you really need to be picturing 50s motel, not just classic or cozy. The furniture is generally fine and the suites are definitely roomy. Our issues: uncomfortable beds (only mattress, no boxspring. one bed was hard as a rock, the other very...um...broken-in), rusty chairs that stained our clothes, and fire-hazard appliances. The fan was seriously 50 years old, shook a lot, made tons of noise and just generally scared the heck out of me. The AC likewise did not work well and none of the knobs worked. It was operated by a lightswitch attached to the outlet. The fridge and stove were also extremely old but seemed to work fine (once they turned them on). The maid turned our AC off every day, so don't expect to come back to a cool room - it takes hours to cool down. Also - only AC in bedroom, rest of suite is pretty humid unless the outside breeze is coming in.

We had two bathrooms. One worked perfectly with the small issue of having separate hot and cold water taps in the sink and no way to mix them. The other bathroom had brown water in the sink and a useless showerhead (sprayed half the water straight up at the wall). The room was also very, very dirty despite daily maid service. Our feet were black from the floors and the dining table likewise was filthy, when I ran a paper towel over it, it was covered in black. The maid made our beds, picked up and replaced towels, I don't think she actually cleaned anything else.

Also - lots of ants in the kitchen and little buggies running around. This didn't bother us too much, could have been from last resident's food...until I found 2 dead little beetle things in my bed in the morning. Yuck. The windows are old and have little gaps in them, plus part of the wall and window in the living area are open with no glass, so it's to be expected that some critters wander in. We also got a couple mosquito bites each day for the same reason.

There were plenty of dishes and utensils, plus some pots and a small pan. The TV was small but had lots of channels in both languages. Big dining table and a small plastic table to bring to the fantastic patio. The patios are HUGE and have a great view over that part of town, with a little water view to each side. Lots of breeze out there to cool off, too.

The pools are small but nice, with lots of seating and a few hammocks. Great for hanging out for a bit after a day at the beach. There's no restaurant or other services at the hotel, though they sell ice cream in the lobby and have an OK internet connection in the lobby. I just checked web-based email and it was fine. Might be frustrating to load regular sites with graphics.

The hotel is not very accessible for wheelchairs or people who have trouble taking stairs though there are a couple of ground floor rooms. The pool is down several flights of stairs and likewise the roof-top terrace is only accessible by stairs. There were 12 flights of 6 or maybe 8 stairs (6 floors) from terrace to pool.

LOCATION
People are not joking about the hill this hotel is on. It is steep. It is fine if you are healthy and it's early or late. In mid-day sun, it feels like quite a hike. At the bottom of the hill is an Oxxo (7-11) and a few taco shops which were pretty darn good. Do not buy beach towels from the shop right at the bottom of the hill - very expensive and TERRIBLE quality. We bit the bullet because we were lazy but later got much, much better towels at Chedraui for the same price I finally bargained that lady down to.

BEACHES
Do not ask directions from hotel employees. We got terrible, vague directions every time we asked until we learned our lesson. People in other local business are much more useful.

The cliff divers are a super quick walk. The beach that is closest is about a 15 min walk up then down hill, take a cab if it's hot. The beach is very small and when we were there, full of jellyfish. No one was in the water at all because of that and a lot of boats are docked there so it's not very clean either. The food at the little seafood shacks there was excellent, though.

You can also easily walk 20 mins or so to the zocalo. Not sure how long it would take to walk to the beach at the bay, but it's a cheap (30 peso = $2) cab ride. The bay is great, water is warm, lots of umbrellas and chairs to rent, tons of food available.

CREEPY SURPRISE
One night we came back at 9pm to find our door open and a guy in our room. He was "checking the TVs" for the hotel and had keys from the hotel. I don't know what in the world would possess them to send someone into our room at that time of night to check on the 20 inch TV. I thought that was totally unnecessary and inappropriate, though the guy (who was practically a teenager) was very apologetic.

CONCLUSION
I almost always go for the lower end of the hotel market. I'm just looking for clean and comfortable. I was really, really suprised that this hotel got such high reviews. From an American perspective, this is really the lowest you can go without being in a dump. I think many of these were influenced by people's affection for the owner - who did seem very nice - but don't adequately represent the quality of the hotel. It's pretty low-end.

I completely intended to take photos to post - then totally forgot. Sorry! Also - we paid $1000 pesos per night for a suite (1 double bed, 1 single bed, living room, kitchen, patio, 2 baths). It was a holiday, so makes sense it was more expensive than normal. We were told that room normally goes for $1500 pesos. Was also told there is no longer a discount for paying in cash.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

This place is great value for money, located up the hill, with the amazing view over Acapulco Bay on the right and on the ocean on the left. Out of the party zone, with small but well kept pool and garden. Senora Etel is wonderful and very helpful.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Etel Suites? Share your experiences!