“Beautiful pool and wonderful lazy river!” 5 of 5 stars

Mayan Palace Acapulco
Av. Costera de las Palmas 1121 | Playa Diamante, Acapulco 39900, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 178 Hotels in Acapulco
Lincoln Park, New Jersey
“Beautiful pool and wonderful lazy river!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Grand Mayan was a wonderful place to stay in Acapulco. The rooms were pristine, and the grounds were beautiful. We just couldn't get enough of that lazy river! If you needed a change in scenery, the shuttle for the Grand Mayan came very frequently. You can have the hotel call for cabs, but we had our own tour guide/driver Roberto Alarcon. He was simply the best! He had lots of good recommendations for restaurants and gave us a lovely city tour. Very reasonable too. We even learned a little Spanish! Although there was only one restaurant, there were a lot of other ones in the area to choose from....sigh....I miss that pool already....

Room Tip: No matter which of the four buildings you are in, they each lead to the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Got married at the Grand Mayan! Stayed at the Mayan Palace. Everything was wonderful. From the lady who did my hair to the taxi driver Dexter! The staff at this place is all great!!! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Outstanding, sprawling resort on the beach only 10 minutes from the airport. Rooms with kitchette, living/dining room and separate bedroom are well thoughtout and spacious. Beachfront seafood restaurant has great atmosphere. Large pool that winds through resort is nice. Can also ride paddle boats on premises.

Room Tip: Try having dinner at either Madiera's or Su Casa over-looking Acapilco Bay.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Benjamin met us at the airport and even though our flght was 2 hours late he was waiting there for us when we arrived. We were immdiately impressed and very much enjoyed his attitude and the level of friendly service he provides. He brought us to shop for supplies prior to dropping us at the Mayan. We ended up doing an all day tour with Benjamin where we learned so much about the history of Acalulco as well as all of the nicest and hottest spots. Benjamin is an Acapulco native and is passionate about his city and what he does. Acapulco is a beautiful and safe place to vacation and Benjamin is the best driver/ tour guide to show you the city. I would now consider him to be not only my permanent tour guide while in Acapulco, but a friend.

We insisted on buying him a Starbucks when he took is there on the way to the airport and he ordered a strawberries and cream frapp. When I asked him why he was not drinking it he hesitated, then told us that after he dropped us off he would go home to spend the day with his family and that his kids liked this drink more than he did. We already liked him, but after that we decided we loved this guy!

• Stayed January 2013
Centreville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I spent a week at the Mayan Palace from 28 Dec thru 4 Jan. I arrived a day late because I missed a connecting flight in Houston Tx. When I arrived at the Mayan Palace the front desk was more than accomodating. They were friendly and had everything in order even though I was arriving a day later than schedule.
Cleanliness: The Mayan palace was spotless. My room was unbelievably clean. The housekeeping was very responsive when I need things like extra towels. The daily maid service was outstanding. The pool area at the Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan was great. My entire time on the property I don't believe I saw one piece of paper on the grounds.

If you are a guess at the Mayan Palace it also gives you access to the Grand Mayan service. There is a shuttle bus that takes you back and forth between the two resort. I used the concierge to schedule a time for golf at the course on the resort. The course was on of the best I've played in the past few years. I recommend taking the day boat ride which takes you snorgling, tour of Acapulco Bay, watch the cliff divers and jet ski riding all in one day.
I have never felt safer than I did while visiting Acapulco. The police was out in numbers and everywhere you turn you would see one or two walking or in a vehicle.
I recommend hiring a driver to drive you around during your stay. The Mexican drivers are somewhat aggressive so I contacted Baldo Mojica. I contacted him via email and he was waiting on us when we landed. I gave us a site seeing tour of Acapulco giving us the history of landmarks as we visited them. He was much better than the recommendation on TripAdvisor. He's the best. I drove us to the New Year's eve celebration and was there at the exact time he said he would be there to pick up us. On the day we left Baldo was not able to take us back to the airport but he sent another driver Miguel (who was just as nice and courtesous as Baldo) to take us to the airport. Thank you Baldo for making our trip a memorable one.

Room Tip: You should ask for a room that faces the pool area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you are going to Acapulco from the US my first advice is to go through Texas on United and fly straight to Acapulco. We were bumped off our flight in Mexico City and that is a common practice. They close the flight 50 minutes before the plane is leaving. So if you do not make it through customs and pick up your luggage and make it through immigration and drop off your luggage and have enough time to find your way around the airport and get through the line to get your bordering pass and have 50 minutes left before your plane leaves you will not make your flight. Also, you should plan on having an international plan on your phone or you will not be able to reach anyone but the United States.We have two different cell company and neither one worked. Which does not help the situation when you need to reorganize from a bumped flight.

With that being said...the weather was PERFECT! The resort was fabulous! We went the week before Christmas, the resort was not very busy (until the last day we were there). Everyone on the resort was friendly and would go out of their to make you feel comfortable. We were worried about our safety so we hired Baldomero Gomez Mojica to be our guide/driver for the week. He is very knowledgeable about the area, the people, the tours and the restaurants. Even with our flight being messed up and with us not being able to contact Baldo, he was able to contact us and re-arrange things so his nephew could pick us up the following day. Raymond (his nephew) was great! He meet us at the airport, helped us locate our luggage and had some nice cold beverages waiting for us in the car. Anything we wanted to do for our entire vacation all we had to do is mention it and Baldo would make it happen. He has all the best connections and his prices were very reasonable. My favorite thing we did with Baldo was the City Tour. The sites were amazing! If you would like to contact him his email is baldo-work@hotmail.com.

We enjoyed our vacation at the Mayan Palace. They have many different pool areas and the kids water park was in a great location. If you wanted to go to the beach you could take the shuttle that ran every 20 minutes between the Mayan Palace and the Grand Mayan. We went twice but we were not a big fan of all the beach vendors that would bother you every 15 or 20 minutes trying to sell you their goods. So we enjoyed being at the pool doing water aerobics or playing pool or bingo or having lunch beside the pool or at the swim up bar much better. So many things to do we really did not feel like we had to leave the resort at all. The only negative thing I would say is there is not a business center at this resort and you have to pay for wi-fi and you have to have your own way to access it.

Room Tip: First floor is easy access to the pools however; the lobby is on the second floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed at the Mayan Palace, Acapulco the 3rd week of December celebrating my birthday and our 56th wedding anniversary! One of the highlights was a very interesting 6 hour city tour with Baldo Gomez (baldo-work@hotmail.com). He is truly a fountain of knowledge of all things Mexican (has a degree in history) and he makes it come alive for you. Don't miss taking a tour of the Fort -- it is definitely one of the highlights along with the Cliff Divers. We used Baldo as our driver all week, and the final highlight was dinner at "Su Casa" high above the city where you eat outdoors with the city lying below you and flowers everywhere behind you. Excellent food and service and the price was right. One word of caution when it comes to swimming in the ocean. Swim only in front of the lifeguards, and be very careful about taking children out. In our 5 mornings at the ocean we witnessed 2 rescues by 3 very good lifeguards, and on a 3rd occasion a father drowned trying to save his young son. Regarding breakfast, our preference was Bakal at the Grand Mayan where you could order a la carte as well as buffet. We found that a large number of the dishes on the buffet were Mexican because most of the guests were Mexican. If you wish an American breakfast, you are wiser to choose from the menu. One word about excellent service -- my husband left his Tilley hat at the pool. That evening we had a phone call asking if we had lost a cap. I said "no" and hung up (not knowing that we had!) A short time later, there was a knock at the door, and the towel guys held out my husband's hat (with his name written small inside). They took the trouble to track him down and return it! We had a very happy time in Acapulco using the facilities of both the Mayan Palace and the Grand Mayan.

Room Tip: Higher rooms give better views above the trees.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayan Palace Acapulco? Share your experiences!