“Also 20 Years” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sands Acapulco Hotel & Bungalows

Save Saved
You added Sands Acapulco Hotel & Bungalows to your Saves list
Sands Acapulco Hotel & Bungalows
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Costera M. Aleman 178 | Frac. Magallanes, Acapulco 39670, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #22 of 177 Hotels in Acapulco
Mississauga, Canada
“Also 20 Years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband has been coming to The Sands every year for about 20 years with the exception of last year (due to a family celebration in Europe). He has stayed at other hotels prior to that but he found The Sands suited his requirements best. For the past 7 years I have been there with him (as this is a second marriage).m We stay in the bungalows and at the same time many of our friends are there as well. We all enjoy the pool in the day (when we are not at the beach) and the garden in the evenings. ALL of the staff are friendly and most accommodating from the kitchen staff to reception to housekeeping and of course, to the owners. We are about to go again for our annual visit and cannot wait. It is like coming home.

Eve W.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

After nearly 20 years of spending February and March at the Sands I thought I would write a review of ALL of my stays here. The friendliness of the staff cannot be found anywhere else. Anything you might want or need the entire staff is there to help you from Rafael and Moises, the office staff, the front desk, the dining room and housekeeping all doing anything they can to make your stay a pleasant one. I have stayed both in the high rise part of the hotel and in recent years have enjoyed my stay in the bungalows where a group of friends travel from Michigan , Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Toronto every year and meet up at our 'home away from home'. Looking forward to our annual reunion at The Sands!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
West Monroe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I always stay at the Hotel Sands in Acapulco. I like the value and friendliness of the staff. I can stay at the 4-5 star hotels, but I do not get the value. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the hotel. They are clean and friendly. The food is good and the grounds are kept clean.
I usually stay in the main building, but sometimes I might stay in the Bungalows behind the building. They are separate and nice. Good Value for the money. You are right across the street from the beach. Plenty of things to do, since you are in the middle of the beach area.
I have been going to the Hotel Sands since 1982. I have been there 10-12 times. I enjoy the employees,restaurant, fun area, and they treat me like family.

One thing I learned early on was if I had a concern with anything talk to Rafael or Moises. They are the owners. They will help you make your concerns go away. Oh, yes the ceviche.

Room Tip: Don't expect 4-5 star, expect being treated like family. Be friendly.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

My family spent 4 nights at this hotel in July 2011. To begin with I was annoyed at check-in because there is a 50 peso a day fee for parking. It is not much, but the English version of their website says it is free.
Upon entering our room we discovered they did not give us 2 double beds as requested, rather a king and two roll aways, making the room very cramped. This was not mentioned at check in either. The air conditioner in our room hardly blew at all, but they did give us a fan upon request. The website also advertises microwaves in the rooms, which there weren't. There was a mini-fridge though.
After our first night we switched rooms because we woke up to the overwhelming smell of sewer. It was not coming from the bathroom, rather the vents. The second room was also cramped, but the a/c worked a little better.
On the website there are pictures of the play and pool areas. The inflatable slide is not included in the room cost, it's extra. As is the mini golf and bungee. The small waterslide going into the large pool was only functioning two of our four nights. The large play area for the kids is all metal and therefore VERY hot during the day.
Our first night my husband forgot to turn off our vehicle's lights and the next day we needed a jump. It was in the hotel's secured parking lot, but staff didn't mention the lights being left on to us. The staff was unable to help us with a jump. They didn't even offer information on who to call for a jump. We ended up asking a taxi driver.
On the positive side, the hotel is located right across the road from the beach. The only downfall is you pay for a place to sit. Would have been better off staying at a hotel with a private beach!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

I was staying at the Sands for a 3 week break and sadly needed medical help during my last week. My Spanish is very poor and communication was difficult. The management and staff at the Sands did everything possible to help with my medical treatment and to communicate information with my family back home. I am particularly grateful to Raphael (the manager) who personally spent many hours helping me. I was lucky to have a manger and staff who cared so much.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Long Island City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

That's a decent hotel, howver do not expect the kind of luxury that you would even find in a 2 star hotel. Most furniture looked old, but fulfilled their purpose.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

After 3 days lodging at the Acapulco Diana; where I have stayed for years I decided it was time for a change of scenery. The Sands sits aproximately three blocks directly east on the main drag and I was lucky to get a rate of 58.85 for my own bungalow. When paying with a credit card I later found out that it went down to 53.00 after the conversion rate. The bungalows sit on their own block directly behind the hotel complex. You actually cross a quiet street behind the hotel and enter a wrought iron gate(which is closed and monitored at night) and you feel like you have your OWN house in a lush well manicured tropical rain forest. The grounds are spectacular with lush foilage and tropical plants. They have spent a fortune on the landscaping. Two weeks ago the city was almost empty and I had both hotels practically to myself. The pool was spotless and the service in my bungalow was great. The was ample closet space and a small refrigerator. There was cable TV and cold air conditioning. Strong water pressure and lots of hot water. The beds were extremely comfortable which was my reason for leaving the Motel Diana where my bed was as hard as granite. Due to the location you could have had visitors or several people crashing in the room and no one would have noticed and I got the impression no one even cared. I was told that during the hiatus in Dec-Jan that the prices ARE higher but my only opportunity to visit is in summer or late fall and most resorts and hotels sit idle and I would imagine lose money. I don't know how they do it on such a limited season. From this trip forward I will be BACK to the SANDS. For the price and the great attention that I was given I felt it was a true bargain!!!

• Liked — facing the ocean boulevard and the lush gardens
  • Disliked — nothing negative
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sands Acapulco Hotel & Bungalows? Share your experiences!