“Cheap and basic, but clean and central...” 4 of 5 stars

Oviedo
Costera Miguel Aleman 207, Acapulco 39300, Mexico   |
Ranked #67 of 178 Hotels in Acapulco
None
“Cheap and basic, but clean and central...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I guess it all depends on what you are used to, and what your expectations are - judging from the previous reviews of this place.

I have come up backpacking thru Central America, and the standards are definitely lower there.

So I think this place is great.

I stayed in an "economic" room 198 pesos a nite - cheap for Acapulco.
The economic rooms have a ceiling fan instead of A/c, but that was plenty cool enough at night, and I spent most of the days outside.
The room was at the back of the 6th floor, so there was no street noise. I left the windows open day and night and noise was never a problem.
The room was huge compared to so many other places - I think it should have had 2 beds in it instead of just 1 double bed. The mattress was good - firm but not too firm.
The room had a decent TV with cable - not that I used it much.
The bathroom was small, but had very good electric hot water - one of the best electric shower heads I’ve had in 6 months in Latin America - and it was clean as well.
In fact, although the rooms are very basic and a bit dated (true Latin America budget sign), they were super clean, and cleaned every day.....with fresh towels, soap, and shampoo.
The wifi worked perfectly for me, and I used it quite a bit on my laptop, and it was pretty fast too. I even downloaded a couple of movies.
The staff were fine, although I didn't need them much, and some spoke English.....but I think they appreciated my attempts at Spanish.
Security seemed good here too. Everyone had to pass thru the foyer, past the reception desk, and up in the lift to get to the rooms. I was asked what room I was in once b/c the guy hadn't seen me before.

As a previous review said, the slightly more expensive (275 pesos for a single) rooms that have air conditioning, seem to be on the top (7th) floor. I think they actually try to give you a front room so u have the amazing view, but the downside seems to be the street noise - it's a main road below.
You could probably ask for a rear room and avoid this.
If you show up in Acapulco or Mexico without your own resources such as maps and what there is to do and see, well, you better go stay at an expensive place and get tours every day.
Bring your guidebook and stay at Oviedo and u will be right where a budget traveller/backpacker wants to be: right next to the Zocalo (main plaza), easy walk to the cliff divers, another short walk to the fort, and a walk, bus or taxi ride to any number of the beaches.
Again, I liked this place and recommend it!

Room Tip: I was in room 611 so i can only vouch for this one!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Gijon, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Just bear in mind that you get what you pay for if you want to avoid dorms . Rooms are old but clean, and if you can sleep with the noise of the A/C and like if you were in the middle of the main road go for this place ( I was in the 7th floor...) . Wifi didn´t work in my floor and hotel staff is there.....don´t ask for more. It´s a place to sleep, not that "nonsense" of places where you can get ,at least, a map of the city..... Didn´t see the swimming pool either

Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Merida, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Booked through their website, which caused quite a lot of excitement at the hotel, as I guess most guests just show up... Anyway, this is an old, and quite basic property next to the main square in Acapulco; no frills, and quite austere... however the room was clean, the bathroom had hot water, and the air conditioning worked well. Even on the 7th floor, the street noise was quite evident, however the air conditioner drowned it out, and I slept very well both nights of my stay. I had a room on the front of the hotel, and enjoyed a 'million dollar view' from the window, for a very small price.

The hotel offers free wireless internet, which functioned most of the time...

For anyone who wants a clean and cheap option in the center of town, and is not looking for any frills or luxury, this could be a good choice. Bear in mind that the hotel is geared towards Mexicans, and does not offer any of the services that a tourist oriented hotel might. If you are the high maintenance type, you would be better off elsewhere. Personally, I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Oviedo? Share your experiences!