“Enjoyed out time there” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 178 Hotels in Acapulco
Eagle River
“Enjoyed out time there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We were not in Acapulco for a vacation. We were there because I needed to see an eye specialist. We booked this hotel as we had stayed there 23 years ago with my parents and were sort of looking forward to changes. There were none that we could tell and we loved it. The hotel was clean, well staffed, and looked the same as it looked before. That is not a bad thing. It was very well maintained.

On some review I read that the beds were really hard. I think the beds were good. The first place I have actually seen a box springs and a mattress. Normally it is a concrete slab with the mattress on top.

The only negative thing is they still have the old idea of mini bars. Pay $1000 pesos deposit and have access to the mini bar. Pay for what you use I can only assume. What we wanted was a refrigerator to keep things cold. They do have ice on each floor and we had a small cooler so we were good with that.

We thought the price was good and we will stay there again.

Room Tip: I think they are probably all good. We were on the top floor and the view was fantastic.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

This place is fantastic it is what Acapulco is all about. Comfortable rooms, good air-conditioning great beach, the food is great, best breakfast I ever ate. I had Montezuma’s Revenge (from elsewhere in Mexico) when we arrived in Acapulco, the Hotel Doctor was fantastic he had me out and about in 48 hours. A previous occupant had been washing sand clothes in the bathroom sink and the plumbing was full of sand but the problem was rectified immediately when we reported it. The open air design of the place is great. it is so nice to sit in the bar and have the ocean breeze blowing through the place in the evening. Room service was great.
I can’t give a higher recommendation.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Returned for my sixth time. Staff has worked there for years and years. Very atentive service. great time. book their "all most all inclusive!" It's a deal. Very well run hotel. very accommodating! Bar service on the beach.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I loved the view and the service was great in the room and restaurant even if the rooms are old fashion they are kept immaculate and the TV works great. I will go back to El Cano next year and hopefully over and over. Keep up the good work and this goes for all of Acapulco: I felt safe during the day and night!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 5th floor or higher (you will still hear the ocean)
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Barrie ONTARIO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

just leaving a review of a trip to cozumel and noticed i did not leave one for the ElCano. I just was thinking of all the great service I recieved last trip as my current trip was lacking in beach/poolside service I Will Be Back trip was in 2010 not2012

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

fine hotel but you are not allowed to have a long chair on the beach ridiculus

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
MIAMI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

The El Cano has been my home in Acapulo since the mid-90's. The rooms are lovely but not modern; although they do have new tv's. The beds are very hard and honestly, it takes me a few days before I can stand up straight after my arrival! The rooms are very clean and you can't beat the view from every one of them. The location is within walking distance of many restaurants. The food at the hotel is excellent with a Spanish theme.
The pool is small and pretty much "adult" ; no bingo; no games. There are lots of areas for sunning (or not): palapas on the beach, plenty of chairs at the pool and a refurbished (?) deck overlooking the beach. There is a very small gym which needs more attention to the equipment and a beauty salon where you can have a massage/facial, etc.

The pool bar is lively on the weekends; and there is a piano player a few nights a week.
The hotel does have a large catering facility and there are often weddings/parties on the beach so you may want to be prepared for nighttime music; especially on the weekends.
I would like to see an upgrade in the amenities in the room: internet/toiletries but I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. The staff is welcoming and really want to see you happy.
There are all types of rooms:
small without a balcony but open-windows overlooking the beach
rooms with king-size or 2 double beds and a terrace
junior corner suites with a seating area/pull-out couch and a terrace
2-story penthouse suites with a living area/dining area/2 balconies overlooking the bay and another overlooking the mountains which has a secluded jacuzzi.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Elcano Hotel? Share your experiences!