“Road trip from Puerto Vallarta” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 231 Attractions in Pacific Coast
Type: Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Activities: Dining
More attraction details
Owner description: Beautiful, undeveloped beach lined with restaurants serving some of the freshest seafood around.
Los Angeles, California
37 attraction reviews
“Road trip from Puerto Vallarta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

It took a couple of hours and some bumpy dirt roads, but what a sweet, charming little village we came upon. The small boats in the harbor, the children in the water and the sun shining warmly. Never knew this existed until this trip to PV. What a treat. We had lunch and tasted some of the best shrimp ceviche we've ever had. If you have the time and patience, don't hesitate to drive over here and spend at least the day and if you can spend a night to enjoy it more. Lovely people in the open restaurant.

Visited April 2013

Vancouver
18 attraction reviews
“Mellow,serene and simply beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Like the previous poster above, I was looking for a mellow,laid back, non touristy location and found it 100%, with a trip up to Mayto beach/Tehuamixtle area.

My wife and I stayed(in Mayto beach) at the Hotel Ricconcitto and Hotel Mayto for four and two nights respectivlley and loved that location as well.

The very gracious and friendly owner of the the Riconcitto (Fernando) took us on a FREE tour of the town of Tehuamixle and neighbouring village of Villa de Mar, which are located about 15 minutes or so, from Mayto beach.

We drove down a gravel round and approached Tehua from an elevated hiltop and were immediatly captivated by the serene little Mexican village down below.....simply beautiful! Tehua is situated in a very calm ,sheltered bay and several small fishing boats are moored there, adding to the beauty of the area.

As we made our way down the hill and into the town, cute little kids were running around waving and smiling and we new we had arrived......in real Mexico!!!

Fernando stopped the van to great fellow Mexican villagers with a "kumusta" hello and then it was off to the restaurant for an awesome seafood meal.

My wife and I had a very deliciuos seafood dinner with her getting a generous amount of shrimp and I a huge fish fillet. Fernando and his friend were only up for a beer and nachos, of which I was more than happy to buy in reward for such a magnifcent tour.

As we ate our meal in the elevated restaurant overlooking the bay, I could only marvel at the little children playing soccer on the beach on a beautiful sunlit day, with the sound of the gentle ocean waves rolling in down below.

I was in awe of the miles and miles of deserted sandy beach across the bay and the apparent calmness of such a beautiful, serene little fishing village.....this was heaven!

Later on I shot a video of the area and interviewed Fernando as he filled me in on the history of the area. At one point he stated...."If you want be in America, go to Puerto Vallarta." If you want to experience Mexico, come to Tehuamixtle!"

I agree with him 100%!

In closing:

If you are into nature, serenty, peace, calmness, beauty and culture far removed from the touristy luxury of the modern world, then come to Tehuamixtle....you wont be dissapointed!

But don't wait too long, because they are slowly paving the rugged road that leads up to this paradise and when the do, innocence will most defintly be lost.

Visited January 2011
Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“Soon to become paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

Leaving Vallarta on highway 200 you have the feeling that you are in for a typical mountain drive, gorgeous terrain, mountains, jungles and panoramic views.

About 30 miles in you will encounter what I have found to be the larger of the rural towns scattered along the way. El Tuite (L to weed o) which became our jumping off point, we made a right or westerly turn down a new highway, only about a mile in found it to be a rough dirt road, this road continued on for 25 miles, every now and then a small paved section would emerge only to disappear shortly.

After an hour and a half we found our destination, the small fishing village of Tehuamixtle, coming down the cliff road, words cannot describe the beauty this small bay in the pacific, truly amazing. God has certainly placed a stamp on this place and hidden from most of the world to see.

The question only begs as to how long this little secret or this entire coast line for that matter will remain a quiet safe haven, in this ever expanding world.

The trip here was rewarded many times over by the beauty of the coast line. The little eatery was truly fantastic. The oysters fresh from the bay.

Wow, does it get any better than this?

A TripAdvisor Member
“Humans & Natural Fishing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2003

When I first discovered Tehuamixtle (an enchanted fishing village) in the Cabo Corrientes area between Maito and Ipala, I couldn´t believe what was there.
In 1998 a small fishing village a dozen pangas returning from a fishing trip with theire nets loaded in to a small strip of sand and the sun at its peak, the children, grandma and wife running to unload and load to the mini truck for delivery to Vallarta (a 40 mi jump drive).
5 years later, the village became a visitor-fisherman combination, a few casitas became eateries and hotels with the harmony of the sea behind. With a group of friends we are buying (it seems the locals couldn´t sell before some echidal thing !!) a lot for a few weeks a year to be able to feel as humans.

Warsaw, Indiana
“The birth of a dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2002

In August of 2002 I initiated a search in the surrounding areas of Puerto Vallarta. My dream was to find a locale that was as of yet not a tourist trap mentality, on the Ocean front, with a beach that is good for bathing, remote enough yet somewhat accesible, and to top it all off I did want to have electricity at least available. As you might imagine and I also thought this should be an impossible search. I travelled Nayarit concentrating on the areas that a month later would be hit hard by the hurricane, although properties were available I was concerned to be down so close to the sea and I didn't like the quantities of mosquitoes and other bothersome insects. I travelled down to Puerto Vallarta and later down to what I was previously curious about which is what is known as Cabo Corrientes. I started my entrance to this area down at the "Hotelito Desconocido", did not like the area very much but was hopeful, continued north to "Peñitas" and found the area to be the type of area I had been dreaming of. From there I went up to Tehuamixtle and even before seeing the bay was falling in love with the area. The view of the bay is breathtaking, the people are still a fishing village even though some tourism does arrive by sea and land. The beach is excellent and the bay quite calm. The food at Restaurant Cande is excellent as is their service. Before I left I initiated the purchase of property dead center on the hillside overlooking the bay. In 2003 we plan to break ground for a Bed and Breakfast and when completed we plan to move and operate "Casa Tehua". If you desire to get to know this little fishing village and perhaps the surrounding Cabo Corrientes with its Lighthouse and history, you may contact me and I am able to make arrangements for everything you should desire in this locale.