“Nice buildings in Barrio Antiguo” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 60 attractions in Monterrey
Type: Historic Walking Areas
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Neighborhood lined with some of the oldest buildings in the city, some dating back to the 17th century.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice buildings in Barrio Antiguo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2003

This was a nice area to visit durring the day if you like to look at old buildings and some really cool doors. We didn't hit it at nite, but I was told that people really like to party there.. just be careful of the cop cost if you are drinking to much. But over all it was close to the marco, inter plaza (shopping) so worth a walk over there.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Definatly the place to be... Barrio Antiguo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2003

I am a 25yr old IT consultant who was sent to Monterrey for two weeks to do some work for a regional office. My trip ended up lasting 3 weeks, and I must say that all of my time outside of work was spent in Barrio Antiguo area. One of the hottest disco's in this area is the KokoLoco. the club is 3 floors & It features 2 different dance floors, the first of which is Alternative/Rock and was the most fun for me...
The 2nd and 3rd floor feature Pop & Dance Music.. the third floor is a loft over looking the 2nd. Drinks are cheap here and the best night to go is Friday. If you are looking for just a simple bar, I really enjoyed the Nueva Luna. It is a resturant/bar featuring live music every night of the week. There are sooo many bars and discos in this area I have a hard time remembering all of the names but I can tell you that this is one of the hottest cities I have ever been to when it came to a weekend night life. Barrio Antiguo is definatly the place to be as it reminded me alot of Burbon Street New Orleans (with out the bad smell and dirty atmosphere) on friday and sat nights.... I have seen mention of the Blue Moon in other posts.. this too was a very nice bar to visit playing the latest in Hip-hop/rap/dance music. The Blue Moon is not in Barrio Antiguo, but is located in the Plaza area. Drinks here were also fairly cheap. For resturants, I would reccomend the following...

La Bikni - 5 Star resturant with all types of food & featuring live music. La Bikni also features a disco on the roof featuring all types of music.

La Parola - 5 Star Itilan Resturant with all the trimmings. Very romantic to take your specail someone

La Valentina - 5 Star resturant featuring all kinds of food, but dress nice and make a reservation or you wont get in. La Valentina also features a disco (I forgot the name of the disco) with exellent music.

Bambuka - This is a Resturant/Bar/disco with a New York City atmosphere. This Resturant/Bar sits on the second floor of a building featuring indoor/outdoor dining, good music and Large Plasma screens playing music videos... Again Dress Nice and Make a reservation or you wont get in....

And remember Taxi's are VERY cheap in Mexico so don't do anything stupid.... take a taxi to and from your hotel if you plan to go drinking... ;-) Hope this helps some of you and I hope you are able to enjoy Monterrey Mexico as much as I did...

USA
“Hottest City in the world!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2003

If you are looking for a good time head to Monterrey,Mexico. I travel to mexico a few times a year each time to Monterrey. When I go me and my friends hit the clubs and bars along with everything in between.
Saltillo is cool and a lot more laid back. I was there from August 5th-13th 2003. IF you're looking for hot rap clubs there is nothing better than Republica. It's located in Barrio Antiguo and it's pretty new. Thursday night is the best night to go. When Republica isn't rap- everyone goes to At Loft. It's just down the street from Republica and it's almost as good. If your'e looking for bars Mangos is cool it's just causal laid back, where as Blue Moon is trendy and cool. You won't regret going to monterrey! It's the best city in the world. :)

“A Cool Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2003

this is a great place to hang out, it rocks being here because all the bars and discos are so close to each other that you can go bar hopping until morning, there is a place for every taste, there are some places that you can go to hear live bands of jazz, blues, etc, while drinking some coffe or some places to hear rock and party! those places are located in 17th century old buildings or i dont know how old but it gives great look and feeling. So COOL!!!

A TripAdvisor Member
“Gotta love Barrio Antiguo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2003

I just came back from living in Monterrey for six months. Barrio Antiguo is by far my favorite part of the city. This is where all the bars and clubs are at. The perfect place to go party all night!