“A great option” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 90 Hotels in Monterrey
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“A great option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed here several times and I have to say that it is one of the best option in this city. Excellent location, rooms clean, friendly staff and not expensive at all.

It has parking lot in the top of the building, it is in the heart of the city center and well...I really recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

I traveled here in Oct 09. We took a bus from Matamoras to Monterrey and then taxi to the Main Plaza area to look for a hotel. There are plenty of hotels so you do not need a reservation but don't let any taxi drivers take you to a hotel of their choice. I think they make a commission on bringing travelers in. Hotel Colonial we found while trolling the area. We paid 585 pesos each night=$44. usd. We had a wonderful room overlooking a cute park. This is right across a narrow street from Hotel Arnica, which cost twice as much. The bell hop was very friendly and spoke some english. We are working on improving our spanish. There is a computer in the lobby that you can use for free. I liked being able to check my email. The room had a king sized bed, 2 lovely windows and a adequate batrhoom. The entire hotel is a colonial style and very nice. Clean. The lobby was gorgeous and there was an area outside our room with a set of chairs with real leather seats. Looked all hand made. Really nice. When we left, the bell hop arranged for a taxi back to the bus station and he told us that Hotel Colonial is our home in Monterrey. Delightful. You will be pleased. It was easy to walk the plaza and see the monuments and museum. The Barrio Antigua is lovely with old building, lots of clubs and excellent dining. No swimming pool at Hotel Colonial but not many in any hotel in Monterrey. A visit to Monterrey is a visit to a city for sights not sitting around a pool.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

If you can't afford a fancy hotel but are too old for the hostel scene, Hotel Colonial is a good choice. The rooms aren't the most up to date, but that's more than made up for by the helpful staff and amazing location, right in la Zona Rosa, close to the plaza, and within a stone's throw from Barrio Antiguo.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

Before I get into the review let me make one thing clear: Hotel Colonial is not going to suit either high-end travelers (the Ancira is across the street) or backpackers.

For around $55 per night you will get a small room right in the heart of Monterrey's Zona Rosa. Nearby you will find shopping, restaurants, museums, and the Barrio Antigua. It is also just a block away from the subway. While the room had seen better days--with aging, industrial carpeting and a temperamental shower head--it was comfortable and clean enough.

The hotel staff was very helpful. Housekeeping was friendly and responsive to a burned out bulb. The front desk staff snickered a bit at my attempts at Spanish, but one bellman spoke excellent English and helped me well beyond the call of duty a couple of times. I had to make a purchase in what was a very bad part of town, and he not only found me a taxi but got someone who was willing to look out for me.

If you expect reasonable accommodations you won't be disappointed. This hotel seems aimed at middle-class Mexicans and prices and value reflect that.

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Disliked — Room a bit worn
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

I went here with my husband after reading the last review. BIG MISTAKE. The hotel was centrally located, yes, but everything else made this hotel fall way short. One person on staff speaks English, room was TINY, we could bearly fit our luggage in it, nowhere near the promised price of US $33 (was $65). Dirty office style rug in room, no hot water in shower. There are so many other hotels within close walking distance, don't make the same mistatke we did.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Tiny dirty room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2003

I make a web search while I was planning my trip to Monterrey, but I don't find anything that I like, so we arrive and take a taxi and the Driver was really nice and very helpfull, He show us 2 or 3 differents Hotels but they where really close from the Bus station and is a ugly area and 15 minutes away from the "Macro Plaza" so we show us Hotel Colonial and from the very beginning all the staff was very nice and they make us feel special, the room was clean and quiet, they include a Continental Breakfast but in their restaurant you can also order a Buffet for only $3usd. Everything was near from there, all the Museams, the Macro Plaza, many boutiques and restaurants and I feel very safe at night. The people from Monterrey are the best, they are very friendly.

Been to Hotel Colonial de Monterrey? Share your experiences!