“Solid choice in Monterrey (San Pedro)” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Monterrey, Mexico
“Solid choice in Monterrey (San Pedro)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I am an American with a home in Monterrey, spending about 75% of my time there. So I have visited many of the trendy restaurants in the area. El Granero is a very nice option for both visitors and locals to find just what they are looking for. Good food at a nice price. It is an older place that could use a remodel, but that doesn't hurt the food quality or the service. I happened to order a prime rib last Saturday night and the meat was a little tough. The rest of my family totally enjoyed each of their plates, so overall I was very satisfied. Besides, where can you get this level of dining for 4 people for under $200 USD?

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hong Kong,Hong Kong
“It was fantastic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

In the course of one year since my last visit, El Granero Grill has declined. The service is suffering and the quality of the food has also declined. The first time I was there 2 years ago, the food was GREAT. The restaurant needs a makeover, a little attention, from its owner. The waiters are very aggressive for tips. Last year, after choosing to leave a 10% tip, the waiter aggressively told me I had made a mistake in the calculation and that the tip was wrong. Well, the altercation between my husband and the waiter was loud but I added the 5% to avoid problems because the waiter was very menacing.

This year, the service was 'nice' again (we were guests of local friends) but the food was underpar.

Fix this place! The location is nice, the dishes are well put together and the ambiance is also good. Live pianist, great wine selection, and fantastic desserts. Also, the bathrooms are the nicest in Monterrey!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Monterrey, MX
“In desperate need of a make over”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

This place looks, feels and smells like it hasn't been remodeled since 1970. Last time we went there my wife ordered Prime Rib and when she asked for horseradish, she got a stale mayonnaise instead. Avoid this place, it's expensive as hell, and there are plenty of better places to spend our money on a good meal.

Cancun, Mexico
“Unbeleivable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My girth attests to a long history of food relishing. I am well travelled, within my country, Mexico, frequently to the US and every so often, Europe.

We went to a wedding in the city of Monterrey, Mexico and a friend recommended "El Granero". Monterrey is famous for meat but having been to many extraordinary restaurants, especially in the US, I expected "good". Anyway, I asked for prime rib-my favorite cut-. I was and still am speechless! Never, ever have I enjoyed such a treat!

Enough said. If you go to Monterrey, do yourself a favor and don't miss it.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Queretaro, Mexico
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

You are with the old money of Monterrey when you go to El Granero. It is located in San Pedro Garza Garcia on the posh Calzada del Valle. It is across the street from Starbucks and a plaza filled with trendy restaurants. This elegant restaurant has a beautiful covered outdoor porch with comfortable seating. It is air conditioned to increases you dining experience on hot days.

The cuisine is international but I would rather not eat sushi at a great Mexican restaurant when they make such an elegant presentation of indigenous food. We made a lunch from the appetizer section of the menu only, with the exception of a salad.

Try the Tacos de Cuitlacoche. These are traditional (soft) tacos filled with a sweet corn by-product. If you are norteamericano I will not tell you what the filing is, if you are mexicano then you already know. Nevertheless, they are sweet and delicious. The guacamole is fresh and rich. It is served on a plate with chopped onions and chili peppers on the side, just mix them in. The Torre de Atun was delicious raw tuna served in a tower with layers separated by shredded lettuce and dressing. There was also the Chilorio which is a delicious roasted and pulled pork or beef served with tortillas. The lunch was accompanied with local beers. We finished the meal with Café Americano.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere