TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Very Nice Hotel In Culiacan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Mayo

Hotel El Mayo
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Culiacan
Hotel El Mayo
Save Saved
You added Hotel El Mayo to your Saves list
Madero No. 730 Pte., Culiacan, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Culiacan
Phoenix
“Very Nice Hotel In Culiacan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

I recently spent several days here when I visited Culiacan from the states on business. My room was booked through a Mexican colleague that was also staying in the hotel. The room was 430 pesos a night which translates to (as of OCT 08) to $32.42.

My room was on the SW corner and overlooked one of the main intersections in Culiacan. It was quite noisy until about 10pm or so then calmed down until about 5am when the traffic started up again. The room was very clean, the maid changed the bedding every day and the bed was surprisingly very comfortable. The shower had excellent water pressure with plenty of hot water available.

The hotel also has laundry service, which I used. It cost about $12 to get 2 days worth of dirty clothes cleaned - very good price compared to about the $30 I pay on average in the states for the same volume of clothes.

There is a restaurant in the hotel - I ate there several times with my colleague. The food was pretty good and dirt cheap. Average dinner ticket for both of us was less than $10.

The hotel has wireless internet but it cut out frequently while I was there - but it was available long enough for me to do my work.

There is a pharmacy across the street and gas station around the corner where I got snacks, bottled water & sodas. I would not advise Americans to stray very far from the hotel without a Mexican friend or two. The immediate vicinity is fine but a few blocks in any direction and things change quickly. Also, stay in after dark for your own safety.

The staff at the hotel and restaurant were very nice. Most spoke a little English and between my poor Spanish and their English, I had no trouble communicating.

The Hotel El Mayo seems to have mostly Mexican business people staying there - I was the only American there to my knowledge.

I highly recommend the El Mayo to anyone wanting a good, clean hotel at a good price while staying in Culiacan.

• Liked — Cost was very good. Hotel was very clean. Staff was excellent
  • Disliked — Noisy location next to major intersection
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I arrived during the evening time at the hotel with a friend. We checked in and I paid $43.00 per night for two beds. The room was a little small, but I don't need a lot of room. It was close to downtown and could take the taxis outside or the bus. The staff spoke Spanish, which I did not mind at all. The rooms also had air condition, but had to turn it off when you left. The plugs in the room needed an adapter(laptop) which the staff gave us for free. It had wireless connection for free. It is connected to a restaurant, but I never ate there. Overall I would return to the hotel.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — it was hot in the hotel, could have been also due to the culiacan weather
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel El Mayo? Share your experiences!