We stayed over Xmas 2013 in Casita 5. We drove in at night, and would have been completely lost if not for the very good directions provided via email by Laura. We were greeted by a very friendly dog who wanted to spend the night -- as dog lovers, this was a good sign. The next morning we woke up to thumping surf, great fellow travelers, and an amazing, pristine beach. I am a novice surfer and did not go out to San Pedritos that day, but went to Cerritos and had a great time.
As other reviews have noted, this is not the typical Cabo all inclusive experience. We had a car and we had brought up food from the Cabo Walmart, the fridge and small kitchen was more than adequate for cooking up eggs and tortillas. Water was provided, and while the rooms were 'rustic', they were clean and well maintained. Showers had hot water, even if the water pressure was not resort-like.
We loved getting up, making coffee and sitting on the patio in the morning, taking in the amazing view and soaking up the sunlight (we're from Seattle, we take all the sunlight we can get at this time of year). Coming back from a day at the beach and chilling out with the other guests was another highlight. We met some great people, not only at the hotel but on the beach. This place was perfect to unplug.
Cerritos turned out to be the ideal activity beach for us, as the kids could boogie board in the shallows and I could (try to) surf a little further out. The water was actually warmer than at Cabo. People on the water were super nice, whether tourist or local, and off the water, everyone was very patient with my bad Spanish. I did get out to surf San Pedrito one day, but didn't watch where I was and ended up on the rocks. It's definitely a break to aspire to -- I loved just walking out from the room and paddling out!
Jaime, who runs Pescadero Surf Camp, manages SPSH. He and his son Ryan were wonderful hosts, even though I wrecked one of his boards (sorry, Jaime!). They were kind and gracious and really went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. Jaime invited us to stop by the PSC any time for free wifi and the facilities, which include a very inviting looking pool and BYOB sunken bar, but we were too busy enjoying the beach!
This was one of the best vacations we have taken, the place and the people combined to make a wonderful vacation. Everyone kept saying "we'll see you next year" -- I'm already looking forward to it!
A couple of notes:
(1) Driving out at night was tricky. Get good directions if you plan on arriving at night, those were a lifesaver.
(2) Next time, we're going to bring flashlights for walking on the beach at night, and a lighter for the stoves.
(3) At night, the temperature drops by quite a bit. It was great to have a windbreaker and sweats.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- San Pedrito Surf Hotel, formerly Casa Cyrene on playa San Pedrito, Ocean Front vacation rentals at the world famous San Pedrito surf break Located 40 minutes north of Los Cabos and 10 minutes from Todos Santos art community. The only ocean front hotel in the area! ... more less