“Unique and humbling experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
“Unique and humbling experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Tijuana is an intimidating city even for the locals.

Derrick has a way of breaking down that stigma that plagues TJ's reputation from its checkard past, while he guides you through, unleashing a wealth of knowledge and insight into its rich culture past and present giving you a very unique and humbling experience.

Myself and my wife spent a full day with Derrick which went on longer then expected!.

Less than one week out from arriving in TJ I flicked Derrick an email with little hope in getting him as a guide for a day with such short notice... Within 48 hours it was a done deal, booked and paid.
Planning the day with him was even easier, coming from a island at bottom the south Pacific I really had no clue what to do in TJ that wasn't your normal bum bag toting, aircon bus tour. After an exchange of interests the basic plan was in place........wing it...

We started around mid day getting picked up by Derrick around 12:30 and headed straight to his favourite taco store/stand/eatery while stopping along to way to gander at some of the local street art.
I have to admit it was the best darn taco(spicy shrimp) I had my entire trip through Mexico.. A must.

We wondered a through a Maze of claustrophobic flea markets and browsed the tacky love potions of the down town convenient stores, Paid homage to the saints in Tj's oldest cemetery and traversed the burnt out shell of a shanty to gaze upon Tijuana's forgotten La Mona.

Derrick's fluent Spanish made for intriguing conversations with the locals everywhere we went.
Looking out over the vista where the boarder lead off into the horizon we learnt from one man drunkenly wondering up the hill the latest method used by the TJ boarder "jumpers" then offered kindly to put on a grill if we ever wanted to sit down and watch.

A quick visit to a local Micro brewery cantina to quench our thirst from the Hot summer sun and off to the boarder fence to where it meets the sea.

As the night went on we ended up in Down town Tj, a mess of colour and music. Drinking Mescal and eating crickets was the last thing I expect to do but enjoyed every moment of it.
It was now 2 hours pass when we were ment to have finished. Well into the mescal, our Night had to come to and end, but not before a stop off to gaze upon Tj's night lights.

I couldn't recommend a better day or experince in TJ then to spend it with Turista Libre. It indeed was one of my top highlight's during our month travels through Mexico.

Visited July 2013

11 attraction reviews
“Couldn't have had a more interesting, fun and yet humbling day :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I booked a 4 hour tour well in advance as I knew I wanted to visit Tijuana even though my husband was not too keen. I never wavered in wanting to go even when some people in America tried talking us out of it. These reviews do not lie. Derrick was an amazing tour guide with plentiful knowledge to share. I never felt unsafe and the fact he could speak the language so well made me feel even more at ease. He even got my husband to feel less worried. Seeing the border fence and the stories that go with the graffiti almost bought me to tears. If you have a chance to I highly recommend Derrick. You will not be disappointed nor be unsafe. I cannot wait to return someday!

Visited August 2013
“best tour evvvvaaaaar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I found Derriks tour amazing.Coming from New Zealand we were weary of what to expect out and about in TJ on our own.Derrik took us on a tour showing us some amazing sights, tasted some delicous food and we were able to change course on our planned day if something else of interest popped up which made the day really relaxed and laid back.We felt like we got to see TJ in a different light compared to other travellers like us.We felt completely safe and are so greatful we were able to have an amazing day that blew our expectations of the tour out of the water.We will definitely be back for another tour on our next trip and spread the word on how much fun it was. if you choose turista libre YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED !! 10/10!

Visited July 2013
“Family of 4 eats Goats!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Two adults and two kids (ages 8 and 10) are in San Diego for a few weeks and we cant pass up the opportunity to visit another country since we are so close to Tijuana. We had already obtained passports for the kiddos in anticipation of our Mexico adventure, but the more we told local San Diegans about our plans, the more nervous we became. They were trying to talk us out of it. We had almost decided to not go to Tijuana when we stumbled across Turista Libre as a top attraction. They were booked up for the group tour on the day we originally wanted to go, but offered us a private tour the day before instead so we jumped on it. Best decision we could have made.

Our guide was Derrick and like others on here have said, he provided incredible customer service. I was not worried about our surroundings AT ALL the whole day....even in the more urban settings Derrick was always in control, and relaxed and friendly with the locals, speaking perfect Tijuana dialect Espanol. Not bad for a guy who claims to be from Ohio. (I didnt check his birth certificate...maybe Spanish really is his native tongue!)

My favorite parts of the tour were the birria tacos (thats goat meat by the way...delicious!), and the trip through the grocery store...like a Super WalMart but with Mexican foods and products that we had never seen before.

If you want to see the Tijuana we saw, which had no other Americans or tourists to be found, I suggest you book with Turista Libre. It was a safe, culture-rich experience and I will definitely go with them again.

Visited June 2013
“A great day in Tijuana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Turista Libre and Derrik was great! We wanted to see a bit more of Tijuana than the normal tourist stuff and got in contact with Turista Libre and arranged for a private tour for 4 hours. Derrik has great knowledge of the town and is a very likeable guy. We are a family with three kids from age 3 to 15 and we all enjoyed the day. We had the best shrimp tacos ever and got much more of a feel of the city than if we'd gone by ourselfes. If you're going to Tijuana for a day, look no further!

Visited June 2013